• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What goes around comes around.

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I have spent the last two summers tromping around Northern Spain and Portugal en route to SdC. We experienced many acts of kindness along the way from both locals and pilgrims alike. We very quickly learned that this community of pilgrims exists together and is strengthened by the kindness and support of each other and of people who's homes we passed every day along the way. If you are trepidatious about your upcoming journey, take heart. You are not and will not be alone. It's true what they say, "The Camino provides".
Yesterday I had a chance to reciprocate in a unique way. I have been aware for several months that a man had begun a walk from the southern tip of Argentina, traveling north to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska, a
journey of some 15,000 miles. He is not the first, there have been two others, but he is the fastest, with completion scheduled in a total of 20 months of non-stop walking. His journey has only been interrupted by a heart attack which took him off the trail for 3 days. As I was reading my online news I caught a brief post regarding his progress and noted that he would be crossing from the USA into Canada in three days. I messaged him on Facebook and found out that he was only about 20 miles from my home, headed north. When I asked if he needed anything his response was that food would be nice so off to the store I went and then on to rendezvous with him on a very wet and busy back road. We had a very nice chat about just what you would expect, footwear, clothing, rain gear and what terrain was ahead of him. And then he was off to resume his journey.
I know he will make it and if you are planning for your Camino, you'll make it too. You never know who is around the next bend, but somebody will be.Cargo.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had this reaction to your story: awesome! Now, for me, awesome is something majestic. I also recalled this poem from my childhood, when I looked at the face of the traveller: I do not suggest he is the lone dog, but the last two lines were writ large on his face... you did a beautiful thing, taking the trouble to connect and offering him whatever he might need.
I’m a lean dog, a keen dog, a wild dog and lone,
I’m a rough dog, a tough dog, hunting on my own!
I’m a bad dog, a mad dog, teasing silly sheep;
I love to sit and bay the moon and keep fat souls from sleep.

I’ll never be a lap dog, licking dirty feet,
A sleek dog, a meek dog, cringing for my meat.
Not for me the fireside, the well-filled plate,
But shut door and sharp stone and cuff and kick and hate.

Not for me the other dogs, running by my side,
Some have run a short while, but none of them would bide.
O mine is still the lone trail, the hard trail, the best,
Wide wind and wild stars and the hunger of the quest.

Lone Dog
by Irene McLeod

What a wonderful story, paintboy. As the saying goes, there are no coincidences. A pilgrim needs food and your message appears asking if there's anything he needs. Perfect. Thanks for sharing. His journey is amazing, and so is your meeting. And thanks for the reassuring words for all those about to embark on the Camino (such as me, lol). Always good to hear from those who have walked the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I have spent the last two summers tromping around Northern Spain and Portugal en route to SdC. We experienced many acts of kindness along the way from both locals and pilgrims alike. We very quickly learned that this community of pilgrims exists together and is strengthened by the kindness and support of each other and of people who's homes we passed every day along the way. If you are trepidatious about your upcoming journey, take heart. You are not and will not be alone. It's true what they say, "The Camino provides".
Yesterday I had a chance to reciprocate in a unique way. I have been aware for several months that a man had begun a walk from the southern tip of Argentina, traveling north to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska, a
journey of some 15,000 miles. He is not the first, there have been two others, but he is the fastest, with completion scheduled in a total of 20 months of non-stop walking. His journey has only been interrupted by a heart attack which took him off the trail for 3 days. As I was reading my online news I caught a brief post regarding his progress and noted that he would be crossing from the USA into Canada in three days. I messaged him on Facebook and found out that he was only about 20 miles from my home, headed north. When I asked if he needed anything his response was that food would be nice so off to the store I went and then on to rendezvous with him on a very wet and busy back road. We had a very nice chat about just what you would expect, footwear, clothing, rain gear and what terrain was ahead of him. And then he was off to resume his journey.
I know he will make it and if you are planning for your Camino, you'll make it too. You never know who is around the next bend, but somebody will be.View attachment 38946
You sir are a good man. Thanks so much for sharing this!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had this reaction to your story: awesome! Now, for me, awesome is something majestic. I also recalled this poem from my childhood, when I looked at the face of the traveller: I do not suggest he is the lone dog, but the last two lines were writ large on his face... you did a beautiful thing, taking the trouble to connect and offering him whatever he might need.
I’m a lean dog, a keen dog, a wild dog and lone,
I’m a rough dog, a tough dog, hunting on my own!
I’m a bad dog, a mad dog, teasing silly sheep;
I love to sit and bay the moon and keep fat souls from sleep.

I’ll never be a lap dog, licking dirty feet,
A sleek dog, a meek dog, cringing for my meat.
Not for me the fireside, the well-filled plate,
But shut door and sharp stone and cuff and kick and hate.

Not for me the other dogs, running by my side,
Some have run a short while, but none of them would bide.
O mine is still the lone trail, the hard trail, the best,
Wide wind and wild stars and the hunger of the quest.

Lone Dog
by Irene McLeod
" Take the trouble to connect"
such powerful, powerful words...and love the poem!
Thank you for sharing!

Sharing a meal. It is the simplest and yet the greatest of human activities.
Some of my best moments in life as I recollect them are sitting at a table with friends and strangers...
some on a large boat in the Greek islands (even though sea sick), one in Conques when American pilgrims from Colorado, who are now like grand parents to my kids insisted on treating my kids to crepes at a restaurant right across from the Cathedral. A cost I couldn't entertain at all...
A single young Spanish man , who is now like a nephew to my kids insisting that we find a place with a kitchen because "he" wanted to cook for "us"...and this young man chose to walk with us for three weeks...
and while on Camino (especially) the sharing of food , the cut of a piece of a cheese, fruit etc... is just so golden!
Ah food on the Camino...it is calling us!!!!! Five weeks and counting!

beyond the food , connecting lets us know that SOMEONE knows we are alive
When I lived in a tent in the forests of Africa for 3 months, merely speaking to another human being re-anchored me. I am content alone, but seeing someone else's eyes, face to face reconnects me to humanity and therefore, myself

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.