• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What happened to the free lunch?

HedaP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Queued inside the green doors at 12 pm as per instructions to get a free lunch at the Parador at Santiago. I'd earned it...believe me!
Followed instructions posted on the internet and on the wall outside the green doors.
Waited with half dozen other lovely folk of various nationalities. Noon passed. It got to 12:30 pm with nothing happening and one of the Spanish speakers found out there was no free lunch today because noone had ordered it.
Apparently the rules have changed. Tickets now have to be ordered for the free breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Parador from the Pilgrim Office. I'm guessing that's because the Pilgrim Office isn't busy enough?
IMO telefono a el Rey!!!
PS I make no apologies for my Spanish.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Queued inside the green doors at 12 pm as per instructions to get a free lunch at the Parador at Santiago. I'd earned it...believe me!
Followed instructions posted on the internet and on the wall outside the green doors.
Waited with half dozen other lovely folk of various nationalities. Noon passed. It got to 12:30 pm with nothing happening and one of the Spanish speakers found out there was no free lunch today because noone had ordered it.
Apparently the rules have changed. Tickets now have to be ordered for the free breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Parador from the Pilgrim Office. I'm guessing that's because the Pilgrim Office isn't busy enough?
IMO telefono a el Rey!!!

You should always ask at the reception of the Parador for instructions prior to meal times, as the rules for gaining admission can change from time to time. Internet instructions are unreliable, especially when too many of those in need that the meals are mostly intended for start to be left out by an excessive affluence, and they decide a rules change in response.

There is a degree of tacit convention among the poorer Camino veterans not to spread too much detail about these parador meals too indiscriminately nor too freely.

Remember that it constitutes begging for a meal -- though the breakfast is both sparsely attended and copiously delicious, so probably the best option for those not needing the freebie but wanting "the experience", without taking any food out of someone else's mouth.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think it's literally for the penniless pilgrim. It is because when the Parador was set up in the old Pilgrim Hospital, they kept a fraction of the tradition going as a nod to history. If it was for the poor, then surely homeless local people should be first in line.

I don't think it's literally for the penniless pilgrim. It is because when the Parador was set up in the old Pilgrim Hospital, they kept a fraction of the tradition going as a nod to history. If it was for the poor, then surely homeless local people should be first in line.
What I should have said is that a lot of people have sense of entitlement.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What I should have said is that a lot of people have sense of entitlement.
I think that's a bit harsh. Likely, the OP just wanted to experience what there was to be experienced, and hadn't thought it all through - something like my not appreciating, when I went on camino for the first time, that donativo meant 'give what you can afford.'

Hmmm. Not sure I would feel that comfortable queuing up for a free lunch.
I presume the original intention was to feed Pilgrims who could not afford to buy a meal.
Maybe I'm over thinking it :oops:
Oh, did I ever get slapped on the wrist when voicing that opinion here a few months ago! I frankly would prefer to be asked to contribute to a meal in Santiago for those who may need the helping hand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Actually what you do get is the same/similar meal an employee of the Parador gets and you do eat actually in the little stuff room near the stuff kitchen - a simple meal meant for those pilgrims that can't afford to eat out otherwise - if the later applies to you, only you will know.

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
20170419_072044.jpgWhen I was getting my compostela for completion of the Portuguese Camino this April, the first 10 people at the office received a certificate for lunch at the Parador from the pilgrim office. I was there right at 8:00 AM as the previous day when I went there the line up was likely 2 hours or more. I am not sure if they do this all the time or if it was just for a limited time period.
In any case, it was a gourmet lunch with both red and white wine.

IMO telefono a el Rey!!!
Perhaps my info is WAY out of date but when I completed my walk in 2013, it was my understanding that the Pilgrim meals (either Breakfast, lunch or evening meal) were for the first 10 (or maybe it was 12), people who were lined up, outside the side door of the Parador, plus the requirement of having to show your Compostela and this Compostela had to have that day's date on it......perhaps this has now changed though?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yes it was a Pilgrim Hospital in the Middle Ages but before being a Parador (1954) it was the Santiago Hospital. My mother was operated there of goiter 70 years ago and maybe she had some free lunches. :)

Oh OK and oh dear because I thought my thread was in fun. It was not my intention to take food from the mouths of the poor and needy and I would never have done that. If there were more than 10 queuing and looking needy I would have walked away. My niece walked the Frances last year on a shoe string and she ate twice at the Parador with very few other pilgrims and she walked in September in peak time. Can I say that all those queuing with me did not in any way look poor or needy. It was just meant to be an experience and an entitlement decreed by the King and Queen of Spain. Hey? Sometimes these things are fun. But obviously not on this forum.

Yes it was a Pilgrim Hospital in the Middle Ages but before being a Parador (1954) it was the Santiago Hospital. My mother was operated there of goiter 70 years ago and maybe she had some free lunches. :)

Pilgrim Hospitals very frequently functioned simultaneously as pilgrim albergues, homeless shelters, and hospitals for the sick.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... Sometimes these things are fun. But obviously not on this forum.

As we can't see your facial expression on the forum, it helps to use (a lot of) smileys :);):cool::p:oops::rolleyes:o_O when you want to indicate that your post is meant tongue in cheek :p Buen Camino, SY

Oh OK and oh dear because I thought my thread was in fun. It was not my intention to take food from the mouths of the poor and needy and I would never have done that. If there were more than 10 queuing and looking needy I would have walked away. My niece walked the Frances last year on a shoe string and she ate twice at the Parador with very few other pilgrims and she walked in September in peak time. Can I say that all those queuing with me did not in any way look poor or needy. It was just meant to be an experience and an entitlement decreed by the King and Queen of Spain. Hey? Sometimes these things are fun. But obviously not on this forum.

Now throw yerself to the floor and get the local homeless people in yer area to beat you with spring onions !!!!!!!;)

And I will have you know that it took me 51 days to walk every step from SJPdP to Santiago. Plus I carried my backpack the entire way every day. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
PS All OK didn't realise that not everyone knew about the Parador meals. :cool::p:D:);):rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I will have you know that it took me 51 days to walk every step from SJPdP to Santiago. Plus I carried my backpack the entire way every day. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
PS All OK didn't realise that not everyone knew about the Parador meals. :cool::p:D:);):rolleyes:o_O

No worries, HedaP! The Parador free meals are intended for pilgrims; in fact there is a separate "cocina económica" that a Catholic charity has set up in Santiago where folks without resources can eat every day for very cheap (a good lunch there is 80 cents). I rarely hear of the homeless of Santiago lining up for the Parador meals - it would be too unpredictable whether they would get in, and they would know (hopefully) that the cocina económica was located near by.

You don't need to feel bad at all that you wanted to participate in the Parador's meals.

I had the free meal twice when I was in Santiago in 2007. I got the impression it was a charming tradition, a kind of re-enactment thing, and had nothing to do with charity. If it was charity, they would do more meals and not serve wines. It was always a faff to get in, they did that on purpose so only really interested people would bother.

I had the free meal twice when I was in Santiago in 2007. I got the impression it was a charming tradition, a kind of re-enactment thing, and had nothing to do with charity. If it was charity, they would do more meals and not serve wines. It was always a faff to get in, they did that on purpose so only really interested people would bother.

Rumour has it that you queued for 2 days,that true ?? :)

Rumour has it that you queued for 2 days,that true ?? :)
LOL no, but back then you had to hand in a copy of your documents, so I did make it my business to 'happen by' a copy shop! People used to have to queue up at the parking garage entrance and most of them didn't know about the photocopies. I got the feeling it was deliberately rather obscure and bureaucratic and sounds like it still is. But that doesn't mean people should feel bad for making the effort to do it.

BTW I am typing this while eating a free lunch that our cleaning lady just brought in as her Ramadan gift to us :D

I think there is a difference between saying "leave these meals for the homeless" and "leave these meals for pilgrims with limited means", the same way donativo beds should be left for those who cannot afford the full price of a bed day in and day out as they walk.

If you want to experience the Parador and can afford the meal, go to its restaurant, ot really os not any more expensive than any other restaurant in town (neither very good nor very spectacular setting mind you). A drink in the lounge is a much nicer way to experience the setting in my opinion.

..., the same way donativo beds should be left for those who cannot afford the full price of a bed day in and day out as they walk....

If that would happen, the donativos would soon run out of money to maintain their albergues open! Buen Camino, SY

My most humbling but at the same time most gratifying experience of the Parador pilgrim dinner was one night arriving in Compostela late, showing only my massive Credencial from 2000K walking, for the Pilgrim Office was long closed, penniless, being given a ticket for one, being mystified by expressions of shock from the doorman and others, collecting my grub and my wine, then walking up to discover that I was in fact an 11th Pilgrim.

I took the window sill for my seat, and quickly forgot some negative reactions from a few who seemingly thought I had no right to be there.

Either this or starve til morning.

The love for the Camino and its pilgrims that the Parador showed me that night still shines like an evening star in the heaven of what any true pilgrim should strive for.

The same evening star that taught me in 1993 that I had missed the very essentials of the Camino, and that I needed to walk from home instead, as I did the very next year.

There is a high value in the traditional discipline of the Way of Saint James, and an invitation to follow that discipline is just that, an offer and a proposal ; never any form of judgment nor exclusion.

I think it is a charming tradition and I know I would have been kind of sad if I had waited around doing what I had heard was correct procedure and then being told it wasn't.

For many of us, even the idea of being inside the Parador is exotic and a fond dream. Plus, we have neither the clothing or shoes that would get us into the "real" dining room.

Hopefully, I will make it in there for a meal the next time I walk. Thanks HedaP for letting us know of the changes.

..., we have neither the clothing or shoes that would get us into the "real" dining room. ...

They are very used to scruffy pilgrims, as long as they have enough cash to pay the bill ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I got the impression it was a charming tradition, a kind of re-enactment thing, and had nothing to do with charity. If it was charity, they would do more meals and not serve wines.

Sorry, but I think this is a mistaken impression -- 1) the actual charity towards the local homeless and down-and-outs occurs elsewhere in the city ; 2) 3 meals are actual food, not a "re-enactment" of it ; 3) sorry, but some pilgrims genuinely do have financial difficulties, and these meals do have them in mind

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's more like the tradition of Maundy Money in the UK. Kind of a nod to charity and historical alms giving, but not very effective as a serious alleviator of poverty.

For the money they spend, they could easily feed three or four times the number of pilgrims. Eg by making the food vegetarian, and not serving wine. They don't need the cutesy dining room either. But that's not the point, the point is to remember that the Parador was the Hospital.

3) sorry, but some pilgrims genuinely do have financial difficulties, and these meals do have them in mind
That was also my impression. This being said, if they are now handing out tickets to the first ten people to get their Compostela a day one has to wonder.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Things can easily be taken out of context on this Forum and misunderstood. That's the problem with written communications :oops:

I have to say your post generated some interesting and lively debate though.

I started thinking out I would feel a bit 'weird' standing in line for a free lunch, but as it turns out, it seems that these meals are not really intended for the 'needy' as such, but are open to all Pilgrims. So I think we have all learnt a lot in the process :)

Though I think I would still rather go through the front door to eat there. It would still feel a bit 'weird' ;)

IMO telefono a el Rey!!!
Hola HedaP - I did the same (June 6th), and eventually discovered that it is now a 'first-come, first-served' with the daily meals - that only the first ten pilgrims checking-in at the pilgrims office each morning are eligible for tickets for the meals. That's what I was told. I know many, many pilgrims are expecting otherwise. Buen Camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola HedaP - I did the same (June 6th), and eventually discovered that it is now a 'first-come, first-served' with the daily meals - that only the first ten pilgrims checking-in at the pilgrims office each morning are eligible for tickets for the meals. That's what I was told. I know many, many pilgrims are expecting otherwise. Buen Camino :)
That's interesting but is it still the case?
There used to be three meals provided by the Parador - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do the first 10 pilgrims at the pilgrim office get all three?
On the day I queued, we told there was no lunch that day because noone applied for it at the pilgrim office.
It would be good to know what the rules are now for the sake of anyone who might feel comfortable about accepting a pilgrim meal.
Does anyone know what they are?

That's interesting but is it still the case?
There used to be three meals provided by the Parador - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do the first 10 pilgrims at the pilgrim office get all three?
On the day I queued, we told there was no lunch that day because noone applied for it at the pilgrim office.
It would be good to know what the rules are now for the sake of anyone who might feel comfortable about accepting a pilgrim meal.
Does anyone know what they are?

The receptionist at the Parador would be the person to ask.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, mystery solved ;-) Just back from a chat with the friendly receptionist at the Parador, it now works like this:

The first ten pilgrims of each day that turn up at the pilgrims office get automatically a voucher for one free lunch each at the restaurant Enxebre at 13:00.

Buen Camino, SY

.... 3) sorry, but some pilgrims genuinely do have financial difficulties, and these meals do have them in mind
I'm curious. Is there a source for this information? I don't think the Parador website implies this but I'm wondering if that is stated elsewhere.

Yes, I think so.
As for the wine, well, outside Europe we tend to think that it is for special occasions, and associated with expensive menus. But actually in Spain and France it used to be a regular thing, drank in common glassess, not in fancy goblets. It was not considered as an intoxicant, but as a fortifying drink, good even for ill people (and, surely, for pilgrims).

Last edited:
View attachment 34475When I was getting my compostela for completion of the Portuguese Camino this April, the first 10 people at the office received a certificate for lunch at the Parador from the pilgrim office. I was there right at 8:00 AM as the previous day when I went there the line up was likely 2 hours or more. I am not sure if they do this all the time or if it was just for a limited time period.
In any case, it was a gourmet lunch with both red and white wine.
I know that guy on the left he was in Hospital de Orbigo tonight giving me a ticket to forward baggage to his mates company..... though I could be wrong

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm curious. Is there a source for this information? I don't think the Parador website implies this but I'm wondering if that is stated elsewhere.

Given that things have apparently changed, then clearly not at present.

Ok, mystery solved ;-) Just back from a chat with the friendly receptionist at the Parador, it now works like this:

The first ten pilgrims of each day that turn up at the pilgrims office get automatically a voucher for one free lunch each at the restaurant Enxebre at 13:00.

Buen Camino, SY
Wow thank you. That was really kind of you to sort this out.

@HedaP
Not really, I pass the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos anyway when I go into the town ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back