• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What happens to the cupulín of the cathedral of Santiago?

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
SANTIAGO
What happens to the cupulín of the cathedral of Santiago?
The stone of the small and blind dome of the south tower was very disintegrated and it was necessary to replace it

PACO RODRÍGUEZ

MM
SANTIAGO / THE VOICE 10/07/2019 10:59 PM
Those who look towards the south tower of the Cathedral are surprised by the difference between the color of the cupulin, the small and blind dome located above the lantern, and the rest of the structure. The reason is none other than the need to remake this part of the Bell Tower, due to the serious damage suffered by the piece. The restorers found a broken stone, which was not possible to recover, and the solution was to redo the piece and replace it. Although its whitish color attracts attention, the passing of the years will cause the effects of the weather to darken the cupulin until the difference is perceived. When the restoration of the north tower began, it had already been warned that the Bell Tower was in a very bad state.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't quite understand why it is news that the small cupola on top of the two towers - the one to the right - is lighter because they used new stones during the renovation works? It must have been like this for quite a while? And I wonder how many people even notice it when they take their celebratory photo? Here's a very recent one:

Cupola.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kat - Thanks for the photo. I am very familiar with the Cathedral architecture and the renovation project, but like many, I completely missed this detail.

Last edited:
With all of the granduer of the cathedral I never noticed it either, nor did I even know what a culpulin was until now. Thanks for the early morning education.

With all of the granduer of the cathedral I never noticed it either, nor did I even know what a cupulin was until now.
Neither did Google Translate know what a cupulín is in English. When the translation program doesn't know how to translate a word, it just leaves it in the original language, without alerting the puzzled reader. :rolleyes::)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmmmmm ! I'm learning all kinds of new things this morning.

Thank's to all...

DeepL translates it to Cupola which makes sense. I prefer DeepL.com to Google.
I've never used DeepL but my first impression right now is positive. Maybe people should switch to it? I see that it offers alternative translations for some words and when I put the title of the article through it, it delivered What's wrong with the cupola in Santiago's cathedral?, which is actually comprehensible and is probably what a human translator would also write.

Thank you, @Juspassinthrough!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just ran 'c'est le pied', a colloquial expression through both google and deepL. Google gave the literial translation 'it's the foot' and deepL gave three idiomatic translations: 'it's the best thing', 'it's the best', 'it's the best feeling'. My Basque friends who taught me this expression long ago, said it meant roughly, 'life is good'.

@Juspassinthrough - Thank you for sharing this new resource!

Glad you find it useful, a German friend turned me on to it. While she’s fluent in multiple languages, she blogs in German, DeepL gives more nuance to the translation and better reflects her intent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.