• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What happens when the refugios are full?

kiki77

Ola,

My boyfriend and I hope to start the Camino Frances in mid-June, as first-time Caminoers. The CSJ website warns that the Frances route may not have enough accommodation for all the crowds, and that this results in competition for beds, walkers starting out earlier and earlier, etc. How much of a problem is this? And what happens when there aren't enough beds--do walkers end up sleeping under a bush or on someone's floor?

Gracias!

Kristin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not enough beds

Three things can happen:
You can sleep on the floor of the refugio. In some place this is preferrable to bunks which creak and rattle with every movement making you lay completely still to avoid waking everyone up.
The refugio may have overflow space elsewhere, in the height if summer this is often school property such as gymns where again you can lay your mat on the floor. Large tented overflow provision is also possible.
You can take yourself to the nearest hotel or hostale whithin your price range for a night of peace in a comfortable bed and a hot bath.
Most of the crowding is close to Santiago within the last 100km and as earlier postings on this site have mentioned by not starting from a large town at the weekend and in general by using smaller refigios outside the popular published stages in the El Pais Guide, Mundicamino or the Practical Guide for Pilgrims you have the best chance of smaller numbers.
Buen Camino
William

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If the refugio's are full, or if you do not feel comfortable with them, you can always look for an alternative.

I just come back from the camino from Astorga to Santiago and I've only slept 4 times in a refugio. For the rest of the nights, I went looking for private albergues (in Sarria, for 6 to 8 euro), in pensions (in Portomarin, for about 15 euro per person), hotels or hostals (in O Cebreiro, San Marco, and Santiago, ranging from 15 to 30 euro per person).
If there are tents available, like at the refugio in Molinaseca, go for them!
They are cool at night, and are more quiet and private, and have mattrasses.

If you want to sleep in a refugio and it is full, be prepared to have a light sleeping mat with you. Sleeping on the bare ground is no good.

When coming closer to Santiago, I noticed that people start walking earlier to have better places, like at 6:00 in the morning.
Try to arrive between noon and 2 o'clock in the afternoon. This gives you better sleeping opportunities, and you won't be walking in the warmest part of the day.

Hope this helps!

Buen camino,
Christophorus.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back