• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Hiking Boots/ Shoes to buy?

JRoberts21

Time of past OR future Camino
August - September (2013)
Could not find this topic elsewhere, so apologies if it has been asked, but can anyone recommend a good pair of walking boots or shoes to buy? I understand it is personal preference but I was hoping to get information from people who had completed the walk, as oppose to someone in the shop trying to sell me a pair of boots that cost £140.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola JRoberts21,
As you mentioned it is a personal choice/opinion, so you should get a variety of suggestions.
I wore Merrell Hiking boots (Lightweight-Gortex-Mids) on two previous Caminos and will do the same this October. Whatever you choose my suggestions would be get them fitted at a genuine outdoors store and you probably need to throw away the insole that is provided and purchase a quality set. So the shoe needs to have room for the new insole, often you can try these in the store during your "fitting".
Buen Camino
Col

This is the age old question and there is one thread with nothing but people's shoes listed.

I personally love New Balance Trail Shoes.
They dry quickly, are low cut, and are so comfortable I can wear them out of the shop and onto the trail. The ones on the SL-2 shoe last have a narrow heel and a deep, wide toebox so my fat toes can spread. As long as they make them, I'll buy a new pair each year for my Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know its a personal preference but I walk alot and for the first time last year I spent money on a pair of Scarpa boots. They are really wonderful comfy boots and I am very thankful every time I put them on!

Hi,

I prefer “Meindl” from Bavaria, Germany. This is the family business existing for last three hundred years. When I saw a picture of the Grand dad of Present owner I noticed he held German soldier's boot in his hands. It was enough to understand that family knows everything about the trekking footwear. I used my Meindl Atlantis in Camino Frances last year and I’m going to use them again during oncoming Camino Portuguese.
Sincerely,
Oleg

I have just bought the Merrell womens moab mid hiking boots... they feel good ..... and I am happy BUt have read conflicting reports about being waterproof or not....some have said they are not.. and others that they are .... they are goretex but dont think ia a guarantee..... have trouble with getting right boots for my feet... have had some n the past but now have orthotics

Oh guess I will find out :) ....will take gaiters to hopefully help keep water off and will spray with waterproofing also.....

Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OP - Noting that you put the price in £ can I assume that you are UK based.

If so we can recommend Hi-Tec boots for comfort, wear, breathability and being waterproof if you buy the full grain leather type. They cost around £80 (June 2013)

We would recommend trying them on with your chosen sock combination. Depending on where you live the best shop we have found, personally, for these is The Old Barn at Castleton. You will need a different size to your normal shoes.

Boots are a very personal thing and rightly so.

In the end I chose a boot that will perform in snow, mud and scree.
Altberg Tethera is my choice.

They are light, durable, very supportive in the ankle and lower leg and are performing really well as i pick up the miles in my walking training.

I am confident that they will serve me well - they will outlast me!

Dax

Annie Little said:
will take gaiters to hopefully help keep water off and will spray with waterproofing also.....
I think you've got it about covered Annie. You need to protect your the top of your socks from wicking water inside your boots. I wore an altus with waterproof Merrell Moabs (not Gortex) and consider myself extreemly lucky not to have encountered any downpours. I had no rainpants and the Altus was just past knee length.
I wear those zip-off trousers and intend to try waterproofing the lower leg sections in the hope that I will not need to carry either gaiters or rainpants.
Go Queenslander!
Regds
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anniesantiago said:
I personally love New Balance Trail Shoes.
They dry quickly, are low cut, and are so comfortable I can wear them out of the shop and onto the trail. The ones on the SL-2 shoe last have a narrow heel and a deep, wide toebox so my fat toes can spread. As long as they make them, I'll buy a new pair each year for my Camino!

Annie,

Your feet sound like mine. Which style New Balance Trail Shoes do you wear? I see a Minimus 10v2 and a Minimus 1010v2 listed on the NB website.

After wearing new merrell moab for first time yesterday 10 kms .. was woken with pain from heel to knee last night- heels still uncomfortable..... mmm dont fancy buying more shoes .....may have to persevere and see what happens

Anne

The eternal problem of Hiking Boots or Shoes.

After completing my first Caminho this year (the Portuguese) and see what a pair of boots did to my ankles, I've decided that next year I'll go with a pair of Hikking shoes.
This was also recommended by other pilgrims, like Anniesantiago (love your post on your blog Annie, thank you very much for the tips!).

I've decided to buy a model from a company called Hi-Tec. The model it's called Figaro.

Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSHT4rWcRw[/youtube]

I hope that I've found the right ones, so that I don't have to search much more :lol:

Best Regards
Diogo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Diogo92 said:
The eternal problem of Hiking Boots or Shoes.

After completing my first Caminho this year (the Portuguese) and see what a pair of boots did to my ankles, I've decided that next year I'll go with a pair of Hikking shoes.
This was also recommended by other pilgrims, like Anniesantiago (love your post on your blog Annie, thank you very much for the tips!).

I've decided to buy a model from a company called Hi-Tec. The model it's called Figaro.

Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSHT4rWcRw[/youtube]

I hope that I've found the right ones, so that I don't have to search much more :lol:

Pensé que è vocé Diogo no video ! Vocé fala bom inglès !

Onde va o ano próximo ? Otra vez o caminho Portuges ?

Nós pensamos ir a Fisterre com nosso carro e caravana e depois vamos a Santiago e volvemos a Fisterre, caminhando.
Então vamos a visitar su país maravilhoso .

Cumprimentos deste margem do rio Maas na Holanda
Albertinho

Best Regards
Diogo

Albertinho my friend, how are you!? :D

No, it's not me, it's from a outdoor channel in Youtube.

Next year, Portuguese again, This year was to complete a promisse for my grandfather, next year it's to say thanks to Santiago for everything.

If you visit Lisbon or Porto, and if I have time, contact me so that we can meet each other :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Diogo92 said:
Albertinho my friend, how are you!? :D

No, it's not me, it's from a outdoor channel in Youtube.

Next year, Portuguese again, This year was to complete a promisse for my grandfather, next year it's to say thanks to Santiago for everything.

If you visit Lisbon or Porto, and if I have time, contact me so that we can meet each other :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Encontraremos por nós depois ! O na Lisboa o no Porto o no Castanheiro do Ribatejo.
E um camping muito perto pra la ?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Albertinho, no Porto não sei. Em Lisboa têm um, fica localizado na mata de Monsanto. Na Castanheira não há mesmo nada de especial.

Não sei em que altura do ano é que vêm cá, mas há parques de Campismo que fecham e uns que não aceitam caravanas móveis.

Mas se precisarem de alguma ajuda avisem.

Um abraço deste grande amigo.

Diogo

Trail shoes would be my recommendation.
With the caveat that everyone has specific requirements for their particular feet shape, gait, walking style, terrain, etc.

Trail shoes are also generally tweeked trainers, so even if they don't work for you, you can wear them for general use without much compromise.

Anckle support is overrated, at least for me. I purchased Karrimor Event Munro, which have been great boots, but caused me to twist my feet more often than any other shoes. Never causing serious injury, but I'll save them for when other shoes really can't cut it...

Personally I like Salomon, the XA pro 3D for example are great shoes, very good protection on the toe box, in the sole for those sharper rocks and very very confortable.
A lot of people also love Inov-8, but they will be less rugged than the Salomon (as a general rule).
I currently have a pair of cheaper Kalenji's (Decathlon) which also have worked great.

I'd go with the non gore-tex ones for better ventilation.

You can spend half the money and get a great shoe, use the rest for socks and other gear you may need.

I will be hiking the Porto to Santiago route--initially coastal then inland. Does anyone have any experience wearing Hoka One One Stinson Trail shoes on this route and if so, what is your opinion as to suitability? This would be my first camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola JRoberts21,
As you mentioned it is a personal choice/opinion, so you should get a variety of suggestions.
I wore Merrell Hiking boots (Lightweight-Gortex-Mids) on two previous Caminos and will do the same this October. Whatever you choose my suggestions would be get them fitted at a genuine outdoors store and you probably need to throw away the insole that is provided and purchase a quality set. So the shoe needs to have room for the new insole, often you can try these in the store during your "fitting".
Buen Camino
Col
Thank you colinPeter. I was just looking at Merrell boots, also lightweight-Gortex-mids, and your response gives me added confidence. I'm totally sold as well on the insole issue due to the very convincing education I received from the store clerk at Sports Chalet. The boots are about $100.00 plus the insoles at about $40.00 which fits my budget. I'll be going on the CF next Sept..

Thank you colinPeter. I was just looking at Merrell boots, also lightweight-Gortex-mids, and your response gives me added confidence. I'm totally sold as well on the insole issue due to the very convincing education I received from the store clerk at Sports Chalet. The boots are about $100.00 plus the insoles at about $40.00 which fits my budget. I'll be going on the CF next Sept..
Hi Michael,
Glad you found something that suits.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi
I will be hiking the Porto to Santiago route--initially coastal then inland. Does anyone have any experience wearing Hoka One One Stinson Trail shoes on this route and if so, what is your opinion as to suitability? This would be my first camino.
Vivian, I am doing my training in Hokas, not sure of the style as my son got them for me. He is an ultra marathon runner and wears Hokas all the time. He recently completed his own charity fund raiser called K's 4 Kids Australia and ran 800 kms in 8 consecutive days in each state/territory capital city. Not one blister! He wears Injinji socks, sprays his feet and applies powder ( I have to find out brand of this for myself ) My husband Ron and I begin our Camino from SJPdP on 26th April. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love my injinji's.

What does your son spray his feet with?

I love my injinji's.

What does your son spray his feet with?
G'day Dutch, In his foot care kit he has Blistop Spray ( Brand: Dermal Therapy ), Blistershield powder, sportshield wipes and Engo patches. Each day he would spray all over feet with Blistop, then coat all over feet with powder and put on 1 pair of Injinji's. During his 800 km run he rain through rain and mud and some hot days too and never once got a blister. Wipes and patches in case he did. We are taking all these things with us and will do the foot care regime each day and hope to have the same results. Cheers.

Hi

Vivian, I am doing my training in Hokas, not sure of the style as my son got them for me. He is an ultra marathon runner and wears Hokas all the time. He recently completed his own charity fund raiser called K's 4 Kids Australia and ran 800 kms in 8 consecutive days in each state/territory capital city. Not one blister! He wears Injinji socks, sprays his feet and applies powder ( I have to find out brand of this for myself ) My husband Ron and I begin our Camino from SJPdP on 26th April. Cheers and Buen Camino.
Thank you for your reply. My son is also a marathon runner and wears Hoka trail shoes, so it was his suggestion to try them. I wear them to work out, but decided to wear a light weight Keen mid height boot for the camino. I needed more width in the toe base due to a neuroma and arthritis swelling. I also have followed his suggestion to use Injinji socks--the ultra light weight liners with the Bridgedale coolfusion trail diva socks. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
G'day Dutch, In his foot care kit he has Blistop Spray ( Brand: Dermal Therapy ), Blistershield powder, sportshield wipes and Engo patches. Each day he would spray all over feet with Blistop, then coat all over feet with powder and put on 1 pair of Injinji's. During his 800 km run he rain through rain and mud and some hot days too and never once got a blister. Wipes and patches in case he did. We are taking all these things with us and will do the foot care regime each day and hope to have the same results. Cheers.
I'm gonna have to google all those things. Never heard of any of it :) except the injinji's.

Thnx for your answer!

Thank you for your reply. My son is also a marathon runner and wears Hoka trail shoes, so it was his suggestion to try them. I wear them to work out, but decided to wear a light weight Keen mid height boot for the camino. I needed more width in the toe base due to a neuroma and arthritis swelling. I also have followed his suggestion to use Injinji socks--the ultra light weight liners with the Bridgedale coolfusion trail diva socks. Buen Camino.
Thats why i chose for my trailrunners instead of my runningshoes. A wider toebox made a huge difference for me wile walking. Strangely enough not while running

whatever shoes/boots you choose, but do not forget about insoles. better the ones which are designed for your type of foot. i still think, that buying high-tech insoles was probably the best investment i did for walking the camino without blisters and injuries.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.