• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What hour at the day can I start my camino walk, from St Jean Pied de Port?

Magnus S

Time of past OR future Camino
I will walk either Camino de Norte or Camino de Frances from St-Jean, the5th/6th of june! :)
I just arrived in Bayonne and I almost have everything I will need to walk.

The only problem I have, is that I am still carrying a big bag with stuff I don't need - I came here directly from a vacation, so I couldn't just leave it at home.

A couple of questions. First of all I will need to send the bag back to Denmark, I found a local post office, unfortunately it is closed at this time. The bag is like 12 kg. Is it just a local post office I should go for? Is there any easier/cheaper solutions, perhaps in St Jean?

Second question.

If I send my back and travel to St Jean first thing tomorrow, will I be able to start walking lets say at 14:00?

And I will also need the pilgrimspass somewhere, I guess this is easy obtainable in St Jean.

Hope you can help me! I am very close now :=

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Second question.

If I send my back and travel to St Jean first thing tomorrow, will I be able to start walking lets say at 14:00?

And I will also need the pilgrimspass somewhere, I guess this is easy obtainable in St Jean.

Hope you can help me! I am very close now :=

It takes people about 8 - 10 hours to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

You should plan to arrive before dark. The last portion of the trail is under trees and not very well marked. If you are not properly equipped, a night outside in the mountains could be disastrous.

1400 + 8 = 2200 ... and if it is not dark it is twilight. So I would suggest planning to stay at Huntos, Orrison (which requires reservation), or Val Carlos.

You can obtain a credencial at the pilgrim office in SJPdP:
Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle

Last edited by a moderator:
I just arrived in Bayonne and I almost have everything I will need to walk.

The only problem I have, is that I am still carrying a big bag with stuff I don't need - I came here directly from a vacation, so I couldn't just leave it at home.

A couple of questions. First of all I will need to send the bag back to Denmark, I found a local post office, unfortunately it is closed at this time. The bag is like 12 kg. Is it just a local post office I should go for? Is there any easier/cheaper solutions, perhaps in St Jean?

You could try sending your stuff to Santiago with Express Bouricott.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I really wouldn't start that late in the day. I walked this route last Sunday and it took 9 hours. It's a tiring day and you could spoil the rest of your camino if you don't allow yourself rest breaks and time to just look around you. Orisson is a lovely spot you should maybe think about staying there or Huntto as suggested above.
Also whariwharangi says above about the wooded area in the end not been very well marked is correct, plus because it's all under the trees it's got very little light In the day light so I would imagine it would be almost dark in there earlier than it would be dark if you were on an open path.
Rita

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!

I might be able to start walking before 14'o clock, I am hoping to send my bag using the local post office here in Bayonne, it opens at 9.

I don't think 22 sounds so bad, and if I have a flashlight, would it be risky to try and find my way through the last part of the road? Best regards

Personally if I had to do the last part of the road through the woods after dark with a flash lamp last Sunday, I think I'd be still in the woods. I think there is a chance of loosing your way on the path on the section as you get closer to Roncesvalles and I wouldn't chance it but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you will get your bag posted earlier in the day and can set off early.
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will not be taking any chances then :) I hope to start early! Buen camino to u2 :)

Wrt your luggage - La Poste offers a standard service called colissimo. Comes in 3 sizes the largest being 7kg and the box about the size of 2 shoe boxes. If you can fit your stuff in a couple of those, prices are excellent.

Wrt your luggage - La Poste offers a standard service called colissimo. Comes in 3 sizes the largest being 7kg and the box about the size of 2 shoe boxes. If you can fit your stuff in a couple of those, prices are excellent.

Also sent internationally? Thank you for info, I will definetly consider this - I have some stuff I don't really need I can get rid off :)

Anyways, I go there tomorrow and I am sure they can help me :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your answers!

I might be able to start walking before 14'o clock, I am hoping to send my bag using the local post office here in Bayonne, it opens at 9.

I don't think 22 sounds so bad, and if I have a flashlight, would it be risky to try and find my way through the last part of the road? Best regards

The path is obvious enough in daylight. I am reluctant to advise using a flashlight ... sure it can be done ... but I would want to know about your hiking and route finding experience. Usually the hard part in night walking is under trees because the path often blends in with the forest floor.

Too the albergue doors close at 2200 ... so you might need to find other accommodation. What plan do you have to find an evening meal when the restaurant is closed?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back