• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I have learnt so far - and I haven't even left yet :-)

Just_Me

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (April 2019)
Prep and training has commenced in earnest, less than 3 months to go now.
I started training, walking daily with one rest day per week, gradually increasing distance and the load of my backpack. (Disclaimer - I am closing in on 60yrs and what I could do 'no worries' not so long ago seems now like a distant memory). As it is slap bang in the middle of summer here in Australia I leave before the sun comes up - what bliss!

This is a wonderful time to iron out any snags and kinks that creep up, play around with weight distribution in the pack, hand washing and room drying clothes (and quickly work out which ones seemed like a good idea but remained soggy in the morning), foot care, core strengthening exercises, getting into a stretch routine pre and post walk (absolutely vital, IMO).

The advice on so many topics given in this forum is invaluable and has helped my prep enormously. I admit I was a bit 'relaxed' about my attitude to prep and training but once I got going I quickly realised how important it is.

One tip I would like to share on foot care - I have a cream (that my Physio uses) that I usel pre and post walk each day. It has a herbal component as well as Peppermint Oil in the ingredients and leaves the feet feeling refreshed (and smelling very nice too!) It isn't greasy or sticky but moisturises well.
It is called Anti-Flamme (I get it from eBay) and isn't just good for foot care but all aches and pains, strained muscles etc.

Hasta luego y buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
(Disclaimer - I am closing in on 60yrs and what I could do 'no worries' not so long ago seems now like a distant memory).
I hate to say the same goes for pushing 50. :confused: For me it's not a problem accepting that fact as much as it is remembering that fact. I think younger than I walk. ;)

Sounds like very thorough prep - well done. Another good foot care tip is to remove your boots and socks at every opportunity (even if just for 10 mins) and let the fresh air in! It seems like a pain to go to the trouble of lacing up again, but is well worth it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds like very thorough prep - well done. Another good foot care tip is to remove your boots and socks at every opportunity (even if just for 10 mins) and let the fresh air in! It seems like a pain to go to the trouble of lacing up again, but is well worth it.

excellent suggestion, thank you.

Prep and training has commenced in earnest, less than 3 months to go now.
I started training, walking daily with one rest day per week, gradually increasing distance and the load of my backpack. (Disclaimer - I am closing in on 60yrs and what I could do 'no worries' not so long ago seems now like a distant memory). As it is slap bang in the middle of summer here in Australia I leave before the sun comes up - what bliss!

This is a wonderful time to iron out any snags and kinks that creep up, play around with weight distribution in the pack, hand washing and room drying clothes (and quickly work out which ones seemed like a good idea but remained soggy in the morning), foot care, core strengthening exercises, getting into a stretch routine pre and post walk (absolutely vital, IMO).

The advice on so many topics given in this forum is invaluable and has helped my prep enormously. I admit I was a bit 'relaxed' about my attitude to prep and training but once I got going I quickly realised how important it is.

One tip I would like to share on foot care - I have a cream (that my Physio uses) that I usel pre and post walk each day. It has a herbal component as well as Peppermint Oil in the ingredients and leaves the feet feeling refreshed (and smelling very nice too!) It isn't greasy or sticky but moisturises well.
It is called Anti-Flamme (I get it from eBay) and isn't just good for foot care but all aches and pains, strained muscles etc.

Hasta luego y buen Camino!

I did my first Camino at 59. I started at St. Jean at age 59, and ended at Santiago on my 60th BD. NO, it did not take a year, only 36 days, but I started a month before my 60th.

Being at the Pilgrim Mass on my 60th birthday was HUGE! They even trotted out the Botafumeiro for me...LOL

Advance training is a very good thing. You are, correctly IMHO, going the extra step and running through the daily ritual of walking, hand washing, drying, etc. This will help refine your packing load and reduce the volume of stuff you "think" you need to bring. Good on you!

When I do it, I use bags of kitty litter to simulate my actual load. Others I know of actually pack the rucksack as they plan to carry it. They carry the same volume of water and snacks and train that way. Either way works. Learn to get used to what your pack feels like under actual load.

Similarly, if you plan to use hiking sticks / poles learn to use them in advance. There are videos on You Tube to help you.

Re: Foot care, go with what works for YOU. Some folks avoid moisturizing. I must do, twice a day...

I moisturize my feet using a 42% urea lotion, available only from my local podiatrist. Before bed, I rub my feet then put on cotton "footie" socks. Each morning, I moisturize again when I boot-up in the morning before leaving my lodging.

The alternative is foot surgery by a podiatrist along the way to remove bloody (literally) calluses. This condition is related to a congenitally crooked foot (right one). This foot is 5 degrees off center to the right and is also rolled another few degrees. So it is built in pronation. and has twice threatened to end Caminos; Frances in 2013 (my first) and Invierno in 2018.

This said, the problem is life-long. Orthotics do not help totally. I have prescription orthotics for my boots. Only vigilance and preventative care seems to work.

You are doing the right thing. Back in the day, in the military, the mantra was: "...train as you will fight, and fight as you trained...and you might survive to fight another day..."

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.