• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I learned about trekking poles..

josephmcclain

Hi everybody! Given the wildly differing opinion on using trekking poles and also taking into consideration the amusing sights one sees on the Camino of flailing around with poles, I thought I would try to get some quick tips in. One thing is for sure: unless you learn to use them, they are almost useless. Before my Camino I had never touched a pair. Feeling kind of stupid about it all, I went to YouTube and watched tutorials and set off from Saint Jean. So, everything I write here is stuff that I felt was central to my surviving the Camino in good shape at age 74. What do you think? Other ideas? These are just my experiences that helped me enormously.

The most basic stuff:

1. Adjust your poles for level ground at a height that makes the angle at elbow between upper arm and lower arm about a 90 degree angle.

2. Put your hand through the loops of the wrist straps from below, up through. Your thumb will actually go over the strap. If this is crazy uncomfortable make the strap a little looser.

3. Don´t grasp the pole tightly. You just guide the pole between your thumb and forefinger. The pressure is carried on the strap. You should get a feel of the pectoral muscles being worked. Great upper body excercise.

4. Use the rubber tips on your poles. The carbide points are really not necessary for 99% of the terrain on the Camino. Stick a second pair in your pack. They wear out!

The most important stuff

1. Right arm moves with left leg and left arm with right arm. No exceptions for me! I felt so awkward doing this. It took me about two days of practice runs to get to feeling natural. That way of walking is, of course, natural, but nevertheless.

2. On level ground the poles should hit the ground at the level of the alternating foot as you step forward. Press into the wrist straps and feel the transfer of work to your chest muscles. The poles are helping your body carry the load of the backpack.

3. Ascending you want the poles to hit a little behind you to give you more forward propulsion. Ideally, and on very long ascents you should shorten them. You will get much more power out of them. But on the Camino Francés, with notable exceptions, one is always going up and down and constantly adjusting poles is a drag. I only adjusted for long ascents. Otherwise left them in the level ground position and used them as if they were shorter. Compromise.

4. Descending swing the poles forward with a flick of the wrist and let them hit the ground in front of you. This is a phenomenal way of avoiding strain on the knees. Generally a big issue! And great to avoid slipping or instability on descents. Also here one should lengthen the poles for long descents. It works even better. Same compromise can happen as above.

5. Level ground, ascending, descending always sticking with the rhythm of left foot with right arm and vice versa. Always. After a couple of days you will not be able to do it wrong!

6th
General walking tips:

1. The rhythm of the alternating hand-foot motion is easy to transfer into the whole body and it feels like a massage if you do it. Feel your body. How it swing and moves along.

2. On level ground I like to have a feeling of ¨planking.¨ That is, taking advantage of gravity and leaning the whole body a little forward so that gravity participates in moving you along.

3. Try to land on the middle of your foot and not the heal and for sure not the toes.

4. When ascending just feel the hips moving from side to side. Only the poles strive upward. The rest of the body is moving side to side. I got this watching a horse climb the steep trail to O Cebreiro. And felt like I had become four-legged once I got the hang of it.

5. This may be especially for men. Become aware of the pelvic area as you walk. I tend to hold too much energy high in my chest and I really had to let that go. This is the Pilates core! I think, not sure, but I think women have an easier time with this.

CAVEAT....These are just my experiences. I am not anybody´s expert, but this really helped me and wanted to share! Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A man in my basic training squad moved left leg/left arm, right leg/right arm. It made for a very strange marching formation.:) The feet were in sync but the hands were not. I have never seen it before or since.
I understand that was a popular way of avoiding square bashing ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everybody! Given the wildly differing opinion on using trekking poles and also taking into consideration the amusing sights one sees on the Camino of flailing around with poles, I thought I would try to get some quick tips in. One thing is for sure: unless you learn to use them, they are almost useless. Before my Camino I had never touched a pair. Feeling kind of stupid about it all, I went to YouTube and watched tutorials and set off from Saint Jean. So, everything I write here is stuff that I felt was central to my surviving the Camino in good shape at age 74. What do you think? Other ideas? These are just my experiences that helped me enormously.

The most basic stuff:

1. Adjust your poles for level ground at a height that makes the angle at elbow between upper arm and lower arm about a 90 degree angle.

2. Put your hand through the loops of the wrist straps from below, up through. Your thumb will actually go over the strap. If this is crazy uncomfortable make the strap a little looser.

3. Don´t grasp the pole tightly. You just guide the pole between your thumb and forefinger. The pressure is carried on the strap. You should get a feel of the pectoral muscles being worked. Great upper body excercise.

4. Use the rubber tips on your poles. The carbide points are really not necessary for 99% of the terrain on the Camino. Stick a second pair in your pack. They wear out!

The most important stuff

1. Right arm moves with left leg and left arm with right arm. No exceptions for me! I felt so awkward doing this. It took me about two days of practice runs to get to feeling natural. That way of walking is, of course, natural, but nevertheless.

2. On level ground the poles should hit the ground at the level of the alternating foot as you step forward. Press into the wrist straps and feel the transfer of work to your chest muscles. The poles are helping your body carry the load of the backpack.

3. Ascending you want the poles to hit a little behind you to give you more forward propulsion. Ideally, and on very long ascents you should shorten them. You will get much more power out of them. But on the Camino Francés, with notable exceptions, one is always going up and down and constantly adjusting poles is a drag. I only adjusted for long ascents. Otherwise left them in the level ground position and used them as if they were shorter. Compromise.

4. Descending swing the poles forward with a flick of the wrist and let them hit the ground in front of you. This is a phenomenal way of avoiding strain on the knees. Generally a big issue! And great to avoid slipping or instability on descents. Also here one should lengthen the poles for long descents. It works even better. Same compromise can happen as above.

5. Level ground, ascending, descending always sticking with the rhythm of left foot with right arm and vice versa. Always. After a couple of days you will not be able to do it wrong!

6th
General walking tips:

1. The rhythm of the alternating hand-foot motion is easy to transfer into the whole body and it feels like a massage if you do it. Feel your body. How it swing and moves along.

2. On level ground I like to have a feeling of ¨planking.¨ That is, taking advantage of gravity and leaning the whole body a little forward so that gravity participates in moving you along.

3. Try to land on the middle of your foot and not the heal and for sure not the toes.

4. When ascending just feel the hips moving from side to side. Only the poles strive upward. The rest of the body is moving side to side. I got this watching a horse climb the steep trail to O Cebreiro. And felt like I had become four-legged once I got the hang of it.

5. This may be especially for men. Become aware of the pelvic area as you walk. I tend to hold too much energy high in my chest and I really had to let that go. This is the Pilates core! I think, not sure, but I think women have an easier time with this.

CAVEAT....These are just my experiences. I am not anybody´s expert, but this really helped me and wanted to share! Buen Camino!!!
3. Ascending you want the poles to hit a little behind you to give you more forward propulsion

Surely you'd have the pole hitting a little bit ahead of you so you "walk onto it"? I ask because with PacerPoles you place the advancing pole at mid-foot on ascents. I've never double poled with conventional poles.

3. Ascending you want the poles to hit a little behind you to give you more forward propulsion

Surely you'd have the pole hitting a little bit ahead of you so you "walk onto it"? I ask because with PacerPoles you place the advancing pole at mid-foot on ascents. I've never double poled with conventional poles.
Actually, ascending they should hit slightly behind the foot. That is why one shortens them ideally for climbing. It works easier.

I have been using poles for 8 years and found walking with them was something as familiar to my body as riding a bike.
However, I do not loop my hands through the straps. I have seen people fall and injure a wrist because they were restrained by the strap.
I use them to help me propel myself uphill and steady myself going downhill.
I would never do the Camino without them.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The most basic stuff:

These were the two most common problems I saw newbies experiencing on my last two Caminos.

Last year, one guy had had adjustable poles with obvious knee problems. I passed him by and then stopped and watched as he caught up to me. I asked him if they were his poles, has he every used poles before etc. He was about my height, and I said hold my pole for a minute ... his eyes glazed over ... I said can I help your adjust your poles. His poles were at least 12" inches shorter than mine. It looked like he was using his little brother's trekking poles. We did a little in service including the proper use of the straps over the next bit before I moved on, and he was amazed at the difference. I think we were almost to Burgos, and he had been using them like that the whole time.:eek:;)

Another time, a shorter woman saw I had the same Black Diamond Carbon Z poles, and asked me why they were so squishy. I did not understand her question until I realized they were not fully extended and locked into position. There is an internal screw attached to the cable that needed to be adjusted from time to time. As I was adjusting the screw, another woman came up to the two of us and asked what we were doing. I explained, and she became rather aggressive in trying to help ... you take that end and I will take this end and just pull. I let my end go and tried to explain, she wasn't having it ... just do as I told you. We locked the pole in position, but the poor owner would never have been able to collapse them at the end of the day. The two of them walked down the trail together.:(:eek:o_O

I think most people fall into a natural rhythm pretty quickly. :D:cool:

Actually, ascending they should hit slightly behind the foot. That is why one shortens them ideally for climbing. It works easier.
Thanks. Like I say, never double poled with conventional poles - PPs don't require shortening on the ascent.

Surely you'd have the pole hitting a little bit ahead of you so you "walk onto it"?
This illustrates how the technique still needs to adapt to the exact circumstances - both terrain, slope, individual body frailties, etc. There is a bit of art to the usage - just as for walking and dancing, technique and skills can be developed, but there is still lots of room for variation!:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A testimonial for poles:. I am 73 years old and I started using poles for hiking 25 years ago. At that time you used your old cross country ski poles because trekking poles were unknown. I heard "where's your skis" as many times as one hears buen Camino on an average day of walking. In Hawaii, hiking in the mud people actually laughed until they slipped and I didn't. Poles also save energy because your arms help propel you. I credit my poles for my knees being in perfect condition at 73 and after walking the PCT's 2600 miles twice, the Arizona trail and the rugged Wonderland trail every year for 28 years. Oh yeah, the relatively easy Camino Francis 7 times.
My point is trekking poles are like underwear, proper fit and application are important. Don't blame the poles for a wedgie when you are using the wrong size and put them on backwards. All that said I have to say its ok to go commando too if that's your style.
PS I agree with the instructions
for using poles in the first post.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And watch inattention in a high wind - I've seen a rather terrifying forward dive when a pole blew between a downhill walker's feet. And this was in Finland where poles are ubiquitous.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

The most basic stuff:

The most important stuff

6th
General walking tips:

Can I add just a couple of things. Always keep the snow baskets on your poles. The rubber tips can be very hard to remove when worn and well hammered onto the end of your pole. Unscrewing the snow basket pushes the jammed tip off. The other thing is always use the strap and keep it a bit loose. When you stop for a drink, you dont need to set the poles down so dont have to bend over to pick them up with the backpack weight dragging you down

Well, I’ve seen a few portraits of Stanislaw, the last king of the Poles, but he’s usually brandishing a sceptre.
Well, I’ve seen a few portraits of Stanislaw, the last king of the Poles, but he’s usually brandishing a sceptre.
Are you sure that wasn't a Leki hiking pole?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use mine differently from most people. Maybe all my years of cross country ski racing. I double pole. Poles both go forward at the same time and a couple of steps to them. May sound awkward, but once you get the rhythm down this works really well and is smooth. This works especially well on ascending hills as my upper body is helping to pull me up the hills.
I have found when walking in groups and without making it a race, I always tend to pull ahead on the hilly sections with this technique.
I use the same technique on the flat areas.
When I really want to cover some flat sections quickly at a 6 to 7 km per hour pace or faster, I am almost skipping across the ground. I load my carbon poles until they are slightly bowed and the spring action of them pull me forward, reduces felt weight on my feet tremendously.
I do have well meaning people trying to 'correct' me as they watched the video and I am doing it 'wrong.'
I do have better than average upper body strength having done weights consistently for 40 years.

I am lucky that I took to trekking poles like putting on gloves - so I’m challenged to relate to the many issues faced by others. However, maybe the following will help. Outside of the much greater stability going up and down hills, the two main benefits I get from poles are: more even distribution of weight (as a small percent of weight gets transferred to my upper body) and less side to side movement when walking. The changed weight distribution means I get tired less easily and the reduced side-to-side motion means a little less wasted energy. Between the two I’d guess they make the walking 5 to 10% easier.

So, my thought for those new to poles who find them difficult is to imagine those two outcomes as what you are shooting for. Nothing dramatic, just a steady small benefit that accrues over time and distance.

The most basic stuff:

The most important stuff

6th
General walking tips:

Carbide tips make poles effective self-defense against dog packs. Never had the problem on the Camino, but on the Via Francigena in France I was attacked more than once. One time by a pack of six dogs.
The only surfaces carbide tips don’t do well on are concrete and tile.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The most basic stuff:

The most important stuff

6th
General walking tips:

Fantastic post

The most basic stuff:

The most important stuff

6th
General walking tips:

Mick,

An excellent posting.

Last year on the 800 km of Camino Frances, I followed everything on your lists (yes, I learned from the YouTube videos as well) and discovered that by using the poles correctly the constant agony in my shoulder sockets vanished.

I shredded my labrum on both shoulders years before and had the bicep tendon surgically cut off and reattached to the humerus, leaving a devastated socket with very little cartilage. So, the hiking poles not only alleviated strain off of my legs and lower back, but off of my aching shoulders as well.

Good for you,
Matthew

The most basic stuff:

The most important stuff

6th
General walking tips:

Excellent way I have done long walks exactly the way you said very good help

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Couple of thoughts --

Although I've not skied much, my only skiing injury was a sprained thumb due to it catching the loop on my ski pole in a fall. While I tried to get used to them on my walking poles I eventually removed the loops altogether. I don't miss them at all, though occasionally I'll manage to kick a pole out of my hands if I'm not paying attention!

You can greatly increase the useful life of the rubber tips if you remove the carbide tips from the poles first. Seems the carbide tips aways poke through first. Save the carbide tips in case you think you'll ever need them, though you probably won't unless you're walking on ice.

Couple of thoughts --

Although I've not skied much, my only skiing injury was a sprained thumb due to it catching the loop on my ski pole in a fall. While I tried to get used to them on my walking poles I eventually removed the loops altogether. I don't miss them at all, though occasionally I'll manage to kick a pole out of my hands if I'm not paying attention!

You can greatly increase the useful life of the rubber tips if you remove the carbide tips from the poles first. Seems the carbide tips aways poke through first. Save the carbide tips in case you think you'll ever need them, though you probably won't unless you're walking on ice.
I didn't know that the carbide tips were removable. Live and learn!

They have to be - they wear out!
A very forthright Irish friend removed the tips from her poles and challenge airport security to show her the "sharp points" that made them dangerous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Couple of thoughts --

That is why the better rubber tips have a collar or washer inside them to capture the tungsten tip before it pokes through from the inside out. Not all rubber tips have this feature.

Check it out... I have even inserted additional small washers to 'shim' the inside fit so the pointy tips do not poke the rubber. It works...

Hope this helps.

That is why the better rubber tips have a collar or washer inside them to capture the tungsten tip before it pokes through from the inside out. Not all rubber tips have this feature.

Check it out... I have even inserted additional small washers to 'shim' the inside fit so the pointy tips do not poke the rubber. It works...

Hope this helps.

The tips I've purchased at my local chapter of the big out-doors co-op - the tips that retail for $7.95 a pair - did NOT have said washers. (high price doesn't always mean better!) I did add some washers, but guess the hole in the washer was still too big as I always seemed to see the carbide tip poking out of the rubber, through the washer, as the first sign of excess wear. I tried to put a "solid" slug in the tip to intercept the whole carbide tip, but then the rubber tip didn't fit properly. that's when I first thought of removing the carbide tip altogether.

For what it's worth, the rubber tips I bought on-line, 6 pair for $7.99, with free shipping, all have washers, though now that I've removed the carbide tips I'm not sure they serve any significant purpose!

If washers do not do the trick, try a suitable sized nut. The hexagonal sides will provide grip. The nut is likely thicker than one or two washers. And depending on size available, the threaded hole should contain the tungsten tip.

Let us know if this works. I have used both SAE and metric nuts in the past.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you remove the carbide tips permanently, consider improving / maintaining the strength of the tips by inserting a round, hardwood dowel pin under pressure. If it is appropriately sized, you should have to tap it in gently with a rubber mallet or small hammer. Forcing too large a pin into too small a hole can result in splitting the aluminium tube...most certainly NOT a good thing.

You can buy these dowel pins in your local DIY store, usually in the hardware aisle, where they sell nuts and bolts... These come in various diameters, Consider the mishmash between SAE and metric sizing, start at 6 mm or about 1/4 inch.

But they are all made of hardwood. The customary use is to join wooden panels together with a pin and socket joint, together with carpenter's glue. But I digress...

I have higher end poles with threaded removable tips. I remove these tips and use rubber tips only for transport. When I get to Spain, I reattach the spiky bits as I do find them useful at times.

I also have a hiking cane that came with a carbide tip. This I removed and replaced with a hardwood dowel plug. The rubber tip went back on, This is my Santiago "city cane"..for getting up the hills. I bought in at Decathlon for €9.99. Now, I do not leave home without it.

Hope this helps.

I have been using poles for 8 years and found walking with them was something as familiar to my body as riding a bike.
However, I do not loop my hands through the straps. I have seen people fall and injure a wrist because they were retrained by the strap.
I use them to help me propel myself uphill and steady myself going downhill.
I would never do the Camino without them.
Yes agreed. I used to loop my wrists through the straps until I fell on muddy ground and had one of the poles hit my ribs. Three cracked ribs later I had a very uncomfortable finish to my hike along the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia.

Last edited:
If you remove the carbide tips permanently, consider improving / maintaining the strength of the tips by inserting a round, hardwood dowel pin under pressure. If it is appropriately sized, you should have to tap it in gently with a rubber mallet or small hammer. Forcing too large a pin into too small a hole can result in splitting the aluminium tube...most certainly NOT a good thing.

You can buy these dowel pins in your local DIY store, usually in the hardware aisle, where they sell nuts and bolts... These come in various diameters, Consider the mishmash between SAE and metric sizing, start at 6 mm or about 1/4 inch.

But they are all made of hardwood. The customary use is to join wooden panels together with a pin and socket joint, together with carpenter's glue. But I digress...

I have higher end poles with threaded removable tips. I remove these tips and use rubber tips only for transport. When I get to Spain, I reattach the spiky bits as I do find them useful at times.

I also have a hiking cane that came with a carbide tip. This I removed and replaced with a hardwood dowel plug. The rubber tip went back on, This is my Santiago "city cane"..for getting up the hills. I bought in at Decathlon for €9.99. Now, I do not leave home without it.

Hope this helps.
NOW he tells me he uses a cane on the hills in SdC, could have used that titbit of information last September Tom ;)

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.