• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I learned on the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
1) The Camino is more than a physical challenge. It tests your mental and emotional strength - and I did less than half its length!
2) It is never wise to ship your sleeping bag home before you are done.
3) Duct tape should be placed in the Pilgrim's Hall of Fame.
4) You can walk a long way with sandals (as long as it is flat) to give your blisters a break.
5) Duct tape and gauze work best on blisters.
6) If you are suffering from back pain, check the straps on your pack.
7) It is not a pleasant feeling to arrive at your destination only to find all the accomodations are full.
8) Communal dinners at the albergues are the best.
9) I cannot believe how many people snore.
10) Walking sticks are great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1) Do not underestimate that first days climb over Napoleon route and I would recommend doing some kind of hill training. I learnt, after my third camino and Alto de Perdon, finally learnt the best way to walk up hills, small steps at a steady pace. Had I done that on the way up to Orisson I'd certainly look more attractive in the photos! Rather than a beetroot! It's really a steep climb, and I'm mid-thirties, I was so impressed and inspired by the 60-70 yo passing me by - they knew how to walk!

2) Blisters - I got many blisters on my first camino, thanks to too tight walking shoes (merrills) and using compeed, which really didn't help me. I learnt using looser fitting, good grip trainers resulted in no blisters and if you do get a blister use plasters.

3) Set your own pace - The pull of the "camino train" is an real unseen force - my walking pace is almost always set by the people up ahead of me, I never lose them unless I take a break! There are some days I'm thankful for that as it gives you energy and the inspiration to push on and other days when I really should not be allowing others to set my pace, like when the tendinitis is flaring. I have had a head cold twice on my last two caminos from pushing too hard early on. If your "limit" is 30k per day, start out with 20k days and build up, don't do 3-4 30k days out the blocks.

4) Put bags inside your morchilla (not plastic ones) - I have a cotton day bag I take around with me for after the days walk is over to attend mass or visit restaurants with pilgrim passport/money/snacks, basically everything apart from clothes and shower stuff and another bag to keep dirty washing separate. Nothing worse than not being able to wash your clothes and mixing dirty and clean clothes in your morchilla!

5) Shower Hooks - Many places have tiny shower areas with no hook or room to put anything, that cotton bag can hold your fresh clothes on a shower hook while you toss the old clothes you're wearing off and over the shower door. I am now highly skilled at getting dressed and showered in tiny spaces - much like wonder-woman! Not much worse than getting all your fresh clothes wet (sodden) before putting them on.

6) Energy to Walk - My body doesn't take well to energy in the form of a fatty chorizo or pie, it makes me feel lethargic on the walk, stock up on bananas, dried fruit and nuts for energy calories, plentiful and easy to transport and not smelly.

7) Snorers - They are inevitable. Bring foam earplugs (several pairs as you'll lose/wash them).

8) Listen to your feet/legs - If something hurts, try to readjust yourself, stop, rest, air out the feet, it's amazing how many times I've believed I was "done-in" to then be able to walk another 10k after an hours rest and chat with pilgrims. Especially towards the end of the camino, you just start doing higher average day kms, I remember sitting at some Albergues having called it a day, showered at 1pm after 25k and being quite bored and very able to do another 10k.

9) Remember why you went! - This may not be the case for everyone - but everytime I've been on camino there's been a question or some freshness needed to bring back to my spiritual life, some negativity has set in. Especially if you make friends and you're quite "tight", you can forget the purpose and just end up "having a laugh" - theres nothing wrong with that and maybe it's the medicine you needed in the end - but there were times I felt I should have been at mass or reading and I was drinking beer (lots of times!).

10) Don't just fall into the first Albergue you see when tired - Exhausted in Astorga, I really could not walk another step (or so I believed!) and fell into an Albergue I had read was not great. Well, cold shower, tiny thin bed, huge hot attic room, resulted in very little sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Now that I've recovered physically and mentally, my wife might contest the mental aspect... I too have valuable information to help me with my next pilgrimage. I walked this year end of April through May.

1- If your feet sweat...do NOT get waterproof boots. Don't take heavy boots... heck, don't take boot at all.
2- Rotate your socks every 2 to 3 hours... depending on how much your feet sweat.
3- Take a second pair of shoes that fit differently than your main pair... I took Teva's and actually hiked in them more than my waterproof boots. If I did not pay so much for those stinking boots I would have thrown them away. It rained 17 days on us and yes, I did hike in those Teva's with socks to keep my feet warm..er.
4- Thank God I took a poncho at the very last minute. My rain pants were never used... total waist of money and weight. While the driving rain did get the lower part of my pant legs wet, they dried very quickly. In warmer months it might even be a blessing. I had one day in which it was warm enough to wear shorts.
5- Hot spots on your feet are a warning sign.... stop and put surgical paper tape on those spots. Do this every day when you start out and it should drastically reduce the friction and change your socks!

Buen Camino.

1) The Camino is more than a physical challenge. It tests your mental and emotional strength - and I did less than half its length!
2) It is never wise to ship your sleeping bag home before you are done.
3) Duct tape should be placed in the Pilgrim's Hall of Fame.
4) You can walk a long way with sandals (as long as it is flat) to give your blisters a break.
5) Duct tape and gauze work best on blisters.
6) If you are suffering from back pain, check the straps on your pack.
7) It is not a pleasant feeling to arrive at your destination only to find all the accomodations are full.
8) Communal dinners at the albergues are the best.
9) I cannot believe how many people snore.
10) Walking sticks are great.

Duct tape should be sold in hiking stores!! :D No maybe not, it would just be double the price of the hardware store....

I used it for:

Fixing a plug adapter for a couple of ladies I met.
Fixing a split walking pole.
Taping my shins until I could get some 'proper' tape. (worked great)
Adding reinforcing along the edges of my zip lock bag 'wallet'.
Fixing the edge of one of my orthotics
Fixing my heel wedges under my orthotics so I could swap them in and out as required
and countless other things.....

Ah duct tape! The modern Hobbit's string.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back