• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What identification is required for albergue, pension, etc

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
So when we get to our overnight destination, we show our passport, our drivers license and our stamped pilgrim credential?

And we can show a photocopy of the passport and drivers license, so we don't have to show the real thing, right?

Some people have talked of laminating, but plain paper in a baggie ought to work too, right?

Thanks everyone!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will need to show your actual passport as ID (or a national ID card) and your credencial. No need for showing a driving licence, it is not counted as official ID apart from being needed if you are driving. The laminated copies are in case of loss of the originals so that you can seek help in getting a replacement. We find it easier to carry a simple paper back-up copy.

This year we found greater security issues with the local police apparently checking that proper ID checks were being made in accommodation. For this reason you also need to have official ID with you at all times. Again a driving licence does not count so carry your passport with you.

In my experience, in most lodgings, you will be asked for your passport.
In many, they will NOT accept a xerox copy - you must hand them the original.
Often they will keep it to record the information when they're not so busy and you'll get it back later or in the morning.
Don't worry ... just do it.

I have never been asked for any additional identification.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just have your passport and credencial easily accessible at all times.

Far less hassle than having the copy refused, and then having to rummage around underneath your clothes to find the original . . . . and scattering euro bills about in the chaotic process, as you fumble around trying to get the passport out because it has got wedged inside your money belt . . . .

Seen that a lot :eek:
Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So when we get to our overnight destination, we show our passport, our drivers license and our stamped pilgrim credential?

And we can show a photocopy of the passport and drivers license, so we don't have to show the real thing, right?

Some people have talked of laminating, but plain paper in a baggie ought to work too, right?

Thanks everyone!
You will need only two things,your original ID and your Credencial.

Wish you well,Peter.

I copy in my passport number to the Credencial, so that it can be seen by the hospitalero/a without having to get out my passport. I hold a British passport and have never been in a situation where an official ID, apart from a passport, is obligatory. I understand that European continental citizens have to carry ID at all times, and when I am in Spain, I do have my passport with me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have the passport on you what advantage is there in presenting a copy?
The advantage of a paper copy (not laminated) for me was that I would tuck it in with my credential and pull the two out of the main compartment of my bumbag that was frequently accessed - whilst leaving my passport safe and tidy in the back zippered compartment.
Additionally, I gave my kids their copies to carry with their credential and I kept their passports. On the few occasions we were asked for originals there was much fumbling about as we worked out who belonged to which passport!
One older person I signed in with one day explained she also used a copy when possible - ever since leaving her passport at the desk one time and having to taxi back for it the next day. Apparently forgetfulness can occur in later life and the camino does not provide immunity.

I ordered my credential from Ivar, along with the plastic envelope to carry it. My passport also fit in the envelope perfectly, and went into the crossbody bag that was always on me.

If you have the passport on you what advantage is there in presenting a copy?
I assume some have their passport tucked in a mysterious, super safe, impossible to steal, part of theor backpack, or elsewhere, which would be a pain to retrieve. A laminated photocopy carried in pocket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I assume some have their passport tucked in a mysterious, super safe, impossible to steal, part of theor backpack, or elsewhere, which would be a pain to retrieve. A laminated photocopy carried in pocket.
OK - I can sort of understand that thinking. I keep my passport in a zipped pocket of whatever trousers I happen to be wearing. To me that feels a more secure place than a pocket in a rucksack which could far more easily be stolen.

OK - I can sort of understand that thinking. I keep my passport in a zipped pocket of whatever trousers I happen to be wearing. To me that feels a more secure place than a pocket in a rucksack which could far more easily be stolen.
So do I. If it's on me I always know where it is. Passport and big money in one cargo pocket, daily € in the other. This way I never have to tske the important stuff out until I reach the albergue.

I copy in my passport number to the Credencial, so that it can be seen by the hospitalero/a without having to get out my passport. I hold a British passport and have never been in a situation where an official ID, apart from a passport, is obligatory. I understand that European continental citizens have to carry ID at all times, and when I am in Spain, I do have my passport with me.
I did this with all my Credencials but still had my passport available - some hospitaleros took it some asked for the real thing!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Often they will keep it to record the information when they're not so busy and you'll get it back later or in the morning.
I will never let someone keep my passport unless it is a government rep needing it for a visa application. In three years of traveling, in nine countries, no one has ever asked. In Turkey, hotel clerks asked, but the explanation was that the police come by later to look at them. In that case, they accept a copy or I go to a different hotel.

At an albergue on the Camino, they are required to record your ID or passport number (at least in Navarra). They do not need the original for that.

Last edited:
To the above I advise carrying the original and proffering a copy if someone asks to hold onto the passport for any reason, if they are not a police office in uniform.

In my Camino experience over five-years, the national passport is requested at all lodgings. Americans to not yet have a national ID type card, so while Europeans may simple show their identity cards (standardized across the EU) those who do not have one, will be asked for their national passports.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will never let someone keep my passport unless it is a government rep needing it for a visa application. In three years of traveling, in nine countries, no one has ever asked. In Turkey, hotel clerks asked, but the explanation was that the police come by later to look at them. In that case, they accept a copy or I go to a different hotel.

:::shrug:: It's your choice.
I have often had the hospitaleros keep my passport for a short time, especially when it's busy.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back