• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What if I just have 2 or 3 weeks in August?

Mari1224

Hi.....
I want to do the camino this year, but I just have the last 3 weeks of August off work. I was thinking about to walk for 2 weeks and finish the way next year....but looks like August is a bad month to do it. Can someone give me some advice? Should I give up and do it next year or should I face the crowd and the hot weather and do it this summer?

I am a woman and I am planning to go alone, so I need to take everything into account before I put on my boots and go.

Thanks,
Mari

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mari and welcome!

First of all, don't give up!

My suggestion would be to walk the Camino de Madrid - basically 12 days and arrives at Sahagun on the Camino Frances. At your next visit, you could walk Sahagun to Santiago.

On the other hand, you could start at any place, really on any route using:

http://www.mundicamino.com

This site will help you map out the number of days you have against where you can be walking.

Best of luck with your planning, and many other members here will have suggestions for you!

lynne

Pshew!? I'm not sure about the Madrid route in August Lynn. Little John tried it last year and gave up when the temperatures reached 39oC on day two.

I often plan itineraries for local pilgrims - 10 days, 15 days, 21 days etc - and one of the favourites is a 15 day Best-of-both itineraries. This is for people who want a Compostela but would also like to walk a bit of the start.

15 Days Camino

Day 1: Arr: Pamplona – taxi to Roncesvalles
Day 2: Roncesvalles to Zubiri 21.7km
Day 3: Zubiri - Pamplona 20,5km
Day 4: Train to Leon 13h10 17h10 35.60€
Night in Leon

Day 5: Bus to Villafranca del Bierzo at 9h30 arr: 12pm 8.85€
Day 6: Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7
Day 7: La Faba – Triacastela 25.6
Day 8: Triacastela – Sarria 24.6
Day 9: Sarria – Portomarín 22.4
Day 10: Portomarín - Palas de Rei 24.9
Day 11: Palas de Rei - Ribadiso da Baixo 25.7
Day 12: Ribadiso da Baixo - O Pedrouzo (FR 500 m) 21.5
Day 13: O Pedrouzo (FR 500 m) - Santiago de Compostela
Day 14: Free day – or bus to Finisterre and back
Day 15: Dep Santiago – RSA via Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you very, very much Lynne........
It's nice to know that appart from the hot weather is possible to do in August......
I am going to book my flight today and start preparing myself. Thank you again.....

Mari

Uau.....Thank you veeeeery much Sil......I was expecting an answer to help clarify my mind, but you went beyond and made me an itinerary!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
Maris

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Mari,
Or consider walking one of the other caminos such as the Portuguese Route which I believe is about a 12 or 13 day walk from Porto to Santiago. The CSJ site - http://www.csj.org.uk/ - lists the various routes with lots of detail if you are interested in choosing another route. Most of them will be less crowded than the Camino Frances. Unless you really want to walk the Camino Frances in a Holy Year in which case - go for it and buen camino!
Cecelia

If you have three weeks, you could extend your first part of the walk by 5 days or so to Logrono.
That way you can stay over at the magical church of Eunate, have a drink of wine at the fuente outside Irache, and get a Felisa sello on the way into Logrono!
Thre are frequent buses from Logrono to Leon.
Or, you could start at Burgos and walk to Santiago - ave. 23kms per day - in 21 days.
Options, options!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.