• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is Camino?

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After eight days on the CF, I am now home, arriving last night after nearly 24 hours of bus rides and flights. My Parkinson's brain and legs couldn’t seem to connect on a consistent basis on this Camino. At the rate I was walking, I would’ve completed the trek to Santiago de Compostela sometime next year ...

I made the decision on Monday morning while shuffling along between Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas; I just knew my 2018 Camino was completed. I am neither disappointed nor discouraged. Although the walking was difficult, I had several wonderful encounters with other pilgrims and travelers. For me, those types of encounters are what truly defines a Camino.

From the senior, salty French paratrooper who appeared out of nowhere to instinctively pace my steps going up the Pyrenees from Orisson to Roncesvalles to the kind Irish pilgrim I met in the Logroño bus station (the eerily spitting image of my father had he lived into his 70s), from having a raucous dinner/discussion with two Swedes, two Germans, and a young American at an Irish pub in a small town in northern Spain to reuniting with a dear Canadian friend from a previous Camino: these are but a small sampling of the pilgrims I met and experiences I had along The Way.

Although shorter than planned, it was a great experience. My primary goal for walking this (third) Camino was to take a million steps of thanksgiving to God for the many blessings He has given me in this life. Although I didn't reach a million, each step I did take was a heartfelt offering of gratitude. It was a good Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although the walking was difficult, I had several wonderful encounters with other pilgrims and travelers. For me, those types of encounters are what truly defines a Camino.

Everyone has a personal reason for walking these routes and each person finishes with his or her own unique experience. But I couldn't agree more with what you have mentioned in the quote above. It is as if we become part of the "family of man"; these encounters transcend being just a conversation with those we meet, a kind action by a fellow hiker, etc.

Tom

I believe everything in life is always more about quality instead of quantity, and it sounds like this Camino was a wonderful, meaningful experience for you. From what I understand, each Camino is different from all others and I hope to confirm this for myself in the near future (I’ve only done one - the CF in 2015).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I truly believe that everyday and every step is a camino. I see by your avitar that you already the experience of walking a full Camino Santiago so everything else is a blessing and testiment to your sprit of adventure and an undying feeling to never quit while able. Of course every experience is what makes life special and meaningful. Well Done ! Happy you made it home safely:)

After eight days on the CF, I am now home, arriving last night after nearly 24 hours of bus rides and flights. My Parkinson's brain and legs couldn’t seem to connect on a consistent basis on this Camino. At the rate I was walking, I would’ve completed the trek to Santiago de Compostela sometime next year ...

I made the decision on Monday morning while shuffling along between Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas; I just knew my 2018 Camino was completed. I am neither disappointed nor discouraged. Although the walking was difficult, I had several wonderful encounters with other pilgrims and travelers. For me, those types of encounters are what truly defines a Camino.

From the senior, salty French paratrooper who appeared out of nowhere to instinctively pace my steps going up the Pyrenees from Orisson to Roncesvalles to the kind Irish pilgrim I met in the Logroño bus station (the eerily spitting image of my father had he lived into his 70s), from having a raucous dinner/discussion with two Swedes, two Germans, and a young American at an Irish pub in a small town in northern Spain to reuniting with a dear Canadian friend from a previous Camino: these are but a small sampling of the pilgrims I met and experiences I had along The Way.

Although shorter than planned, it was a great experience. My primary goal for walking this (third) Camino was to take a million steps of thanksgiving to God for the many blessings He has given me in this life. Although I didn't reach a million, each step I did take was a heartfelt offering of gratitude. It was a good Camino.
Phoenix,what a joy to hear you made it back safely.After we waved farewell in the early morning light in Castrojeris I was able to tell your old Canadian friend that you looked and sounded strong even if so dissapointed.The Camino "family"has begun to 'split up' today,as is normal,but the others,like me,will never forget your friendship and your strength in the face of massive adversity.God Bless and keep you safe.Philip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I appreciate the kind responses. Thank you.

Since returning home to Colorado, I’m doing very well. I've been walking the paved trails here in my neighborhood almost every day using trekking poles but no pack. Just working on getting the brain-legs connection smoothed out again. I’m back up to 5-7 mi/day and my stride & pace are about 90% normal. Still slower on inclines, though. I’m sure I could walk much farther if needed, but it would take a day or two to recover. It’ll take a while to build back up to form, but I’ve done this before. I'm even pondering walking the Camino Portuguese next year ...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back