• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is different in your camino kit the second (3rd, 4th..) time around?

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
This coming Sunday is the 1 year anniversary of my flight to Madrid for my CF as far as Burgos. I am always thinking about what I'll pack different on CF Burgos to Leon or Ponferrada to SdC in April of 2016. I've changed out very few items and could basically leave tonight with what I have and be happy. How about you? What have you changed out (or left out) the second time around?

My changes - S2S silk bag liner is now the S2S Reactor liner, solid shampoo and hair conditioner, spring walk may have me packing a regular rain jacket rather than a light shell, hopefully my 28L pack rather than my 40L, no convertible pants but add a very light weight black pencil skirt for Madrid, trade out my grey Keen Clearwaters for black ones, even lighter paro (79 vs 117 gr or ditch it completely) and maybe ditch the 368gr down sleeping bag!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Changed Gregory Sage 35 to Altus Aventura 32 - minimal weight difference, but the Altus FEELS wonderful -- tho' the Gregory wasn't bad -- just too much "stuff" on it's "person". Changed from absorbent towel to piece of thin muslin - drys very fast & weighs almost nothing. This year trading out Altus poncho for shorter rain jacket (but may change back to poncho) ..."who knows about these things?" Not taking iPad mini this time (just too heavy!) -- just iPhone with foldable keyboard. One thing I did last year - mailed a small package to myself at the Correos in Carrion from Madrid - 2nd warmer shirt and half the supplements I take for arthritis. Won't do it this year - only walking a month (2 months last year), I can get along without, or buy a few as needed. Since I'm starting a month later this year, I'll take sleeping bag (500 gm) - last year it stayed home & I bought this one in Leon. Aiming for 13 lb -- will that happen???
Buen Camino to all you out there walking now!! ~ and to those I hope to meet after Oct 5.
Terry

Must say that this was my first summer Camino because all others were done in spring.
Changed Gregory pack 45 +5 for an Osprey Talon 33. Shaved off 400 grams that way. Love the Osprey, less sidepockets and straps than the Gregory. Less is indeed more in this case.
No black heavier rainjacket of 700 gr. but a white light rainjacket of 300 gr. Was more than sufficient and with the layers underneath warm enough. Would wear the same in spring.
Of the 13 nights on the Camino I slept 6 nights in private lodgings ( shared double room ) so I had sheets from the pension. Other nights in albergues my liner of 130 gr was enough. But otherwise I would stick to my lightweight sleepingbag of 650 gr.
No multifunctional legging for pj but just wearing my second trouser for sleeping ( albergue ) or boxershort ( in private lodging ).
Only one long sleeved shirt for walking instead of two, but I kept my two short sleeved shirts.
Still Crocs but the flatter ballerina ones and not the more bulky clogs.
Ziplocks for separating stuff and not the more expensive and heavier stuffsacks.
And next time I will leave my Opinel knife at home...was my fourth Camino and used it only once of my first walk.

All in all very happy with the five kilo all in minus the water of 750 ml and some snacks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked in May and it has been cold each time at the start. Kit basically the same; pack, trousers, shirts; socks etc; but I swapped my 150gm longjons and same weight top for 70gm ones and took 2 pairs of each which helped with washing and always having a dry pair. . Similarly took 1 lightweight fleece each time but swapped the thicker (emergency bought) Spanish fleece for a midweight reversible one. Boots, the new ones are the same make so no real change there either.

Mine's actually got heavier. I've given up worrying after finding I could happily carry a tent and associated gear (12 kilos). There's always a trade off. I know my current pack could lose a kilo if I left out the telescopic umbrella, foot cream, extra shoes, fluffy bed socks and "good" evening pants. But I'm happy to carry the 7.5 kilos.

But then again, I do have a superbly designed load-carrying system...... (hiker-speak for "backpack"!)

My sleeping bag comes and goes. I have left one behind, and mailed two home. It depends on the season. I keep finding lighter jackets, and I take only one change of clothes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After 8 Caminos my weight has reduced from 10k plus water to 2.6 plus water. I could get it lighter I suppose if I ditched the third T-shirt/boxers/Socks but it's light enough for me now. That 2.6 includes and empty 1 litre aluminium water bottle so I could save weight there as well I suppose. But I only walk May through September.

Wow Al, I've said it before but I am soooo impressed by the little weight you carry :cool::cool::cool:

All I changed between camino 1 and camino 2 was the rucksack, moved from a cheapo Lidl bag to an Osprey.
Other changes after camino 2 were: a hiking skirt and Pacer poles. Since camino 3 was a loooong one and I carried a tent and mattress, I offset the additional weight by buying lighter T-shirts, fleece and sleeping bag. More pricey but I've since used them again ;):D
I try to keep weight at 5 kg, before water and food.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was not until my caminos had hit double digits that I discovered the joys of the electric coil. I do not recommend one for the Camino Frances or any of the other popular caminos, but if you're going to walk the Camino Catalan, Vadiniense, Invierno, etc etc, it can be the difference between having coffee/tea in the morning and not having any.

I owe it all to mspath, annie, and a few others.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Buen camino, Laurie

Good idea about the muslin. I'm going to give that a try (at home first!) I didn't like the texture of the absorbent towel I took last time.
I'm going to wear a skirt to walk this time. I never wear pants at home and am used to hiking in a longish full skirt.

It was not until my caminos had hit double digits that I discovered the joys of the electric coil. I do not recommend one for the Camino Frances or any of the other popular caminos, but if you're going to walk the Camino Catalan, Vadiniense, Invierno, etc etc, it can be the difference between having coffee/tea in the morning and not having any.

I owe it all to mspath, annie, and a few others.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Buen camino, Laurie

Contrary to Laurie I do highly recommend an electric water coil for the Camino Frances when walking in late autumn/winter. What bliss it can be to make hot tea in a frigid albergue while waiting for first light!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Contrary to Laurie I do highly recommend an electric water coil for the Camino Frances when walking in late autumn/winter. What bliss it can be to make hot tea in a frigid albergue while waiting for first light!

Absolutely right, Margaret, I should have limited my recommendation to those walking the Frances in high season.

O Experienced Ones: What about if starting in mid-April from SJPdP?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I expect one could be purchased in the major towns, if I get desperate, do you think? Might as well get one for the European outlets.

Download a picture of one off the internet, so you can explain what you want. It took me about 10 days, going into every hardware / household store I passed before I found one in Portugal. Jill
ImmersionHeater.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I've barely finished my first Caminho [14 Jul - 27 Jul, camino Portugues] and two things are certain: Next time, I'll take a darker polyester blend liner [I took a white, organic cotton liner from decathlon and spent the whole caminho atempting to keep it spotless clean, which is next to impossible when others in your group love to stomp where you sleep with muddy boots.] I'll also take a bigger microfiber towel, since it can serve as a warming blanket if you dry it well enough after bathing. An other must are propper insoles. I've got flat feet and did El Caminho withought those and it was pure torture.

About my 5th I really started counting the oz's. Dropped half a pound by changing from a lightweight sleeping bag to a Mont-Bell "thermal sheet" . I switched from those super heavy nalgene bottles first to a bladder (which was great but a little difficult to refill) and ultimately to a SmartTube that attaches to smaller regular off the shelf bottles that fit in the side pocket of the pack. My medical kit has also been reduced (from all the blister stuff and band-aids), to now only Aleeve. I now wear only quarter high socks rather than the fuller length. Got carbon fibre poles instead of aluminum. Last year I left the iPad air at home and only carried the iPhone 6. I ordered a multi-pack of my favorite deodorant in travel size (which is difficult to find) from Amazon and saved .5 oz. (I now have deodorant to satisfy my next 5 caminos!) I switched from liquid Dr. Bonner's to a bar. I didn't bring a "travel pillow".

I stopped making my own food so much (and carried less as a result!)

The end tally... I am a comfortable 205 lb. male American carrying only 7 kgs. but still with 3 shirts, 3 sets of underwear, 2 shorts, 1 pant, three sets of socks and liners, a rain jacket, a poncho, etc etc but I dropped about 3 kgs. from my first...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How about using a micro fibre dish cloth to dry on after shower. Better than those soggy things from Decathlon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very good question.
Last time round I carried a sleeping bag, next time I will carry a liner thus giving me a little more space.
My 30 litre bag will remain unchanged but all in all I don't see much change from my last Camino in May.
Sure beats what I carried on my first Camino in 2011 when I brought a suitcase ;)

We did our first Camino (Frances) in 2010 and looking at one of the last entries I made to the blog I kept was titled: The Best, The Most Surprising and Practical Advice, I wrote "I definitely recommend using net sacks for keeping your clothing sorted. We used plastic and the "eau de pilgrim" gets overpowering after a couple of weeks. The net sacks allow for ventilation and they are less noisy than plastic".

Very good question.
Last time round I carried a sleeping bag, next time I will carry a liner thus giving me a little more space.
My 30 litre bag will remain unchanged but all in all I don't see much change from my last Camino in May.
Sure beats what I carried on my first Camino in 2011 when I brought a suitcase ;)
I never took a sleeping bag , just a duvet cover and climbed into that and was more than comfortable

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€149,-
Carried shampoo, no longer do. Laundry pins are now safety pins. Carried toiletries in small regular case, now I pack them in a hanging case. Went from carrying regular war'ter bottles to a bladder back to regular water bottles with Smartube. Tried sock liners, just wear ankle high Merino or tech anti sweat materials. Didn't carry anything to read, now carry I pad. Carried a small camera no phone, now carry iphone. Didn't carry washing machine soap, then did, but no longer will as it seems to be now automatically dispensed in the new fancy machines or available for free. Only had a rain jacket and cheap poncho, now have rain pants, jacket, Altus and umbrella. Didn't use vaseline or vick's or st-John's wort oil, or carry all sorts of fancy compeedes and friends, now I have the fanciest and most well reseach foot care kit around! It's like a new fettish, a foot care fettish.

Why not a chammy square?
Here's an old chammy square, Allan. This one I discovered recently amid my parents' storage stuff. I well remember when my dad acquired this back in the 60's; for us back then it was a significant acquisition. Perhaps I should pay it due homage by taking it on my next Camino!
IMG_2070.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have gone from 10kg in a 44 litre pack to a 30 litre pack weighing 5kg - and that's with swapping the silk bag for a down sleeping bag! I have gone from leather boots via goretex to non-waterproof trail shoes and from trousers to skirts but I am a poncho girl through and through!

I'm curious about your shoe choice. I really want to wear my Saucony Peregrine 5 Trail shoes. I've been hiking in them for several years and they are light weight, have great traction, and dry quickly. I have very hard-to-fit feet and just can't seem to find a pair of heavier hiking boots/shoes that are comfortable. Will I survive with my trail shoes April 26 - early June?

I was even thinking of bringing 2 pairs and switching them out each day so I always have a dry pair. A pair weighs a bit over a pound. If it turned out I wasn't needing both, I'd mail the extra pair ahead.

Just musing...

Take your trail shoes, they will be enough. If they get wet they will dry quickly and they make walking so much more pleasurable if they are the ones that fit you best. For second pair bring sandals you can walk in if you get blisters or just for a change in the evening. I am walking into Santiago tomorrow in my Salomon X Ultra trail shoes which have been great. Do what feels right for you - if the unforeseen happens anyway you just deal with it. Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had 18 lbs with me (included 1 liter water in camel pack) I had 4 pairs (yes indeed 4) of shoes with me and loved that. I wore my Keen marshal hiking shoes most of the day and switched to my hiking sandals towards the end of the day. I did bring trail runners that i wore now and then and a pair of flip flops. I MAY leave the trail runners home next time. I would however bring 1 extra pair of underpants and 1 more "evening shirt" . I had black t shirts with me that were very warm in the summer so next time I will bring a light colored one. I would leave most blister treatment home there I had no blisters at all. YAY :) I would replace my large towel with a small one. That's it !

My first Camino I had 22lbs the last Camino 15lbs my next Camino starting from Irun in April 7 will at 8lbs, I love my 3lbs Aarn 33l backpack I could drop another pound or two if April turns out to be warm, then I will send the warm gear to Santiago if not I'm ok with 8lbs plus food and water.

Zzotte

I have added two plastic tall thin wine glasses for when I camp and fancy a bottle of vino tinto while everybody is tucked up in the albergue, and I am outside enjoying the night sky....they come also in handy when there are no glasses in some of the albergues in Galicia when I decide to stay inside, I prefer not to drink really :confused:, I do so to support the Economy of Spain in these testing times...being a selfless pilgrim I make this sacrifice daily..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm curious about your shoe choice. I really want to wear my Saucony Peregrine 5 Trail shoes. I've been hiking in them for several years and they are light weight, have great traction, and dry quickly. I have very hard-to-fit feet and just can't seem to find a pair of heavier hiking boots/shoes that are comfortable. Will I survive with my trail shoes April 26 - early June?

I was even thinking of bringing 2 pairs and switching them out each day so I always have a dry pair. A pair weighs a bit over a pound. If it turned out I wasn't needing both, I'd mail the extra pair ahead.

Just musing...

Kelownagurl:

Shoes are a very personal item, imo. If you have a pair of shoes you are comfortable in, go with them.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have added two plastic tall thin wine glasses for when I camp and fancy a bottle of vino tinto while everybody is tucked up in the albergue, and I am outside enjoying the night sky....they come also in handy when there are no glasses in some of the albergues in Galicia when I decide to stay inside, I prefer not to drink really :confused:, I do so to support the Economy of Spain in these testing times...being a selfless pilgrim I make this sacrifice daily..
Such a generous spirit. I'll have to consider packing some glasses as well so that my wife and I can follow your example. :D

Such a generous spirit. I'll have to consider packing some glasses as well so that my wife and I can follow your example. :D

lead by example..I was introduced to the plastic wine glasses some time ago on a camino..,unbreakable and so light weight (important) only doing this till the economy picks up..long term endeavour

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first time I walked, my pack weighed 24 lbs or 11 kg's. My 5th walk I had it down to 19 lbs or 8.6 kg's. This year I plant to be closer to 17 lbs 7.7 kg's. This has been done mainly by purchasing light weight gear. My pack is the main obstacle, an Osprey 48l, weighs in at 3.8 lbs or 1.8 kg's. I have not been able to find a better pack I like.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.