• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is everything I need to prevent and treat blisters?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's a great thread that falcon posted! Have a good read. Everyone is different and different things work for them

I had terrible blisters when I did Camino Frances. I am on the camino right now, and what has worked for me is 2 pairs of socks, a think liner sock and then a mid weight hiking sock. Initially that's all I had and I got about 5 blisters on my second day, 35km in the rain! None were too bad but after meeting 2 other pilgrims I gave their methods a go. First was Nivea cream, feet smelt better at the end of the day and it seemed pretty good. The next was more complicated, but the option that worked well and felt good (all bought in Spain pharmacy). First put on a cooling foot gel, then talc, then vaseline, but not globs. Repeat every 15ish kms

It works for me, maybe vaseline alone would be enough, maybe globs would stop me having to reapply every 15kms. I don't know, but it works for me

Maybe next time I'll try one of those body glide gels, but if I run out, back to Vaseline.

Some people don't like gels and they think the right shoes should prevent blisters, probably true, but I don't have the money or time to try and test dozens and dozens of different shoes, maybe you can in the US, but not Aus. Initially I didn't want gels either, but my method doesn't really leave your socks in a bad way, you can hardly tell you had anything on

Have a read of everything and choose what you think would be best for you. Let us know what you decide, and most importantly, how it goes

Best of luck
Buen Camino
Richie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Too Many Choices said:
I'm starting my Camino Frances in about a weeks time but I'm freaking out about blisters!
Blisters develop when skin rubs repeatedly against unyielding material. You can prevent this to happen :idea: by double socks and/or applying vaseline at the start of the walk. Whilst walking, be conscientious when unpleasant friction starts and take measures to prevent damage. :shock:

I have done two Caminos without a single blister. My suggestion:
Make sure your shoes/boots are well broken-in.
Use a think liner sock (Injinjis are great) with a medium weight hiking sock of good quality.
Lubricate your feet with BodyGlide

Works for me :D

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.