• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

? what is it about this site

+@^^

it is now a year and a bit since i finished my walk from Seville to Santiago
i will in all likelyhood not walk another camino
and before the walk i spent about 10 months on the site planning reading preparing
but if its over why am i still so attached
why do i still come back to this site
why do i still get invloved in discussions
why do i get excited for a new pilgrim just starting out in researching stuff
why do i still compare my sleeping bag to yours
why do i say, shite thats i good idea, must remember it for next time
Tam

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
+@^^ said:
it is now a year and a bit since i finished my walk from Seville to Santiago
i will in all likelyhood not walk another camino....SNIP..
Tam

Tam..I think is is because it is very likely that you will be walking another Camino.... :shock:

Hi +@^^, whatever it is about this (stunning) site, please don't leave it - sometimes I print your "poetry", read it to my family and friends and then file it in my special Camino file.
(I am starting in Le Puy on Sunday 10 June - my first Camino - and got almost all my info from just reading this forum daily...)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tam,

The Camino is just like everything else in life that you start...it has an ending. Until you start it again.

Each day I log on I search for the newbees...then realize I'm reading the same questions and giving the same answers, but for the newbee it may be the first question they've ever asked from a total stranger and they're likely to act on that answer.

Your suggestions, insights and poetry are as new and refreshing as the Camino is old and enduring.

We are all better for the experience.

Arn

Tam,

Love your honesty, & your helping us to be honest & allow us to make our own pilgrimage with honesty, what ever that is.

I personally, am v. greatful for your thoughts, which I will take on April 1st to Santiago.
My Camino will be be 'richer too', thank you Tam.

David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
falcon269 said:
Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn
As a newbie I'll second that thought. I've certainly learnt a lot that will benefit my Camino and I thank everyone who has passed on their thoughts, experiences and wisdom :!:

Any why is it that I'm here in Jerusalem, the holiest of cities, and I keep going back to the Old City (three days in a row now) to try and find some kind of Camino spirit? I'm not getting the vibe, the feeling, the spirituality I instantly found on the VDLP. It's Jerusalem! And yet all I can think of is walking the Camino again. When our tour bus is driving through the countryside, I keep looking for dirt paths along the road that could be a Camino. I don't understand what's happening. Anyone else been to Jerusalem after the Camino, too, and been a bit disappointed?

Melanie

I come back to this site, Tam, to whet my appetite to resume the VDLP later this year.
Good to read your comments and the answers they got.
It feels really good to be here :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
mmm042 said:
Any why is it that I'm here in Jerusalem, the holiest of cities, and I keep going back to the Old City (three days in a row now) to try and find some kind of Camino spirit? I'm not getting the vibe, the feeling, the spirituality I instantly found on the VDLP. It's Jerusalem! And yet all I can think of is walking the Camino again. When our tour bus is driving through the countryside, I keep looking for dirt paths along the road that could be a Camino. I don't understand what's happening. Anyone else been to Jerusalem after the Camino, too, and been a bit disappointed?

Melanie

Yes I was in Israel about a month after my Camino...but then again, I had been there before (it's what started my obsession with the Camino 17 years ago!)...why don't you go walk the Jesus Trail? Or the Nativity Trail? If I had known about either of these before I went to Israel I would have done them.

mmm042 said:

Melanie

Hi Melanie.

You've touched on my main regret from the Camino Ingles last Autumn. I met 2 Brazilian brothers, one of whom had lost a young daughter in Spring and was walking for her. He was considering going on to Jerusalem after reaching Santiago (by air and just for a couple of days) to make his pilgrimage more complete.

I had been in Jerusalem the year before and was able to advise about some of the practicalities. However with hindsight I wish I had suggested a mini pilgrimage from Bethlehem to Jerusalem. I didn't actually do it myself (or even think about it at the time), but it's certainly not far to walk for anyone who has done a Camino. I know there is the wall and checkpoints with all their ugliness to go through, but as far as I know it is perfectly possible for foreigners. I thought it would have been a lovely thing for him to have done in the short time he was there. Walking into Jerusalem through the Mount of Olives and Via Dolorosa and arriving in the evening when the sun was reflecting on the Dome would be magical!

I hope my Brazilian friend got there and worked it out for himself!

Buen Camino!

Keith

Tam,

Maybe your heart knows something that your head does not know yet Please keep posting. we love to hear from you.

Melanie, I went to the Holy Land last year. As a child of seven in 1951 I had promised myself that once in my lifetime I would go. So after sixty years I had both the money and found the right group to go with.

I found it very hard to connect with Jesus in the sights that had been open to the public for almost 2000 years where there were lamps etc etc.

The pit underneath the house of Chaipas the high priest where Jesus was imprisoned I found awesome

When we went north to Gallilee where Jesus had his ministry for three years, there I really connected with him, esp. at Caparnaum where we could see the foundations of the old synagogue and the narrow little streets between the houses. Jesus made Caparnaum the center of his ministry. I felt I was walking on 'His turf'. We also celebrated holy Mass right on the lake shore. One day we went out on the lake and owner stopped the engines for about 20 minutes in the center of the lake so that we could pray quietly.

To look at the Golan heights and realise that this was exactly what Jesus saw with his own eyes was so wonderful for me. The words of bible have become alive in a new way.

Yet I feel now "I have been there and done that" and really cannot see myself going back again.

It is the Camino that calls me to return and to make every step a prayer.

If I were young and had the means to walk the whole way to Jerusalem it might be a different story. But I try to only dream dreams that I can realistically hope to make come true

Lydia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lydia Gillen said:
Maybe your heart knows something that your head does not know yet Please keep posting. we love to hear from you.

I think Lydia has something here!! I'd like to second (or third or whatever!) her opinion...please keep posting!! Your humor has added a lot to me recovery/reentry to my "real" life!!

Gracias,
Karin

ksam said:
Lydia Gillen said:

I think Lydia has something here!! I'd like to second (or third or whatever!) her opinion...please keep posting!! Your humor has added a lot to me recovery/reentry to my "real" life!!

Gracias,
Karin

I agree too! I have only been a forum member for a few weeks (seems like months already with all I have learned!) and I really enjoy your posts ... they are heart-felt and sometimes rather personal (a special thank you for that) and quite often humorous. You have contributed unknowingly to raising my spirits along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back