• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is mine is not yours!

xin loi

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked May 14, 2014 from St Jean France

starting to walk again August 25, 2016 --SJPDP to Finisterre
Recently finished walking from SJPDP to santiago. Previously posted about clothing being stolen from clothes lines and food & wine leaving the albergues in the packs of the early morning hikers. Forgot to mention another item that frequently disappeared. Shoe liners. Unsure if only Americans use those expensive pads that are put into a boot/shoe, but others sure liked them enuff to remove them from the lines of boots in albergues. I don,t use them but was told that some are very expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Recently finished walking from SJPDP to santiago. Previously posted about clothing being stolen from clothes lines and food & wine leaving the albergues in the packs of the early morning hikers. Forgot to mention another item that frequently disappeared. Shoe liners. Unsure if only Americans use those expensive pads that are put into a boot/shoe, but others sure liked them enuff to remove them from the lines of boots in albergues. I don,t use them but was told that some are very expensive.
If you clean your boots well, can you take them to your sleeping place. I have orthotics in my boots. I guess I should remove them and keep them with me at all times.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My "Superfeet" inserts were frequently damp so I frequently took them out and "warmed them" under my pillow! But sizes are so varied how would you know whether they fit or not. Doesn't make sense unless someone was desperate or knew that "those shoes" didn't produce blisters!

A thought on the above: I wonder how many of those who look down on pilgrims who stayed on private lodging are the same ones that show such inconsiderate behavior towards fellow pilgrims in albergues ? :rolleyes: My guess? Sadly, a considerable amount.

I read more and more about rude (easily avoidable) behavior in Albergues and have to shake my head..... really?

Admittedly I was more of a private lodgings person, but when I did stay in an Albergue, I never had anything stolen, nor did I hear about anyone else suffering that indignity. I left poles, shoes with liners, and laundry in the public areas. I left my pack unguarded near my bunk. Only my "valuables" (cash, cards, passport, phone) were with me always. This was in September/October 2013.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks so much for the heads up re liners/orthotics. I am heading out at the beginnining of September and at the onset of purchasing boots and beginning to train - I had my orthotics checked and replaced (my old ones were 8 years old - my how time flies) because I was having some real difficulties with pain. They cost me $450.00 Canadian. What a difference it made to my slightly gibbled left foot. I have had no issues since with walking any distances and can put them in my alternate runners that I will take. I will be sure to take those puppies out when I park my boots at the door as there would be precious little walking for me without them. Thanks again.
Linda

I've never encountered pilfering of any kind in an albergue. Is it a very recent phenomena, or urban myth, or am I just lucky? I'm curious because it is odd that it has never happened over 14 years and on seven Caminos, some in Spain and some in France.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
5 times 0n the Camino and I have never experienced a theft. I stay at donativos, privados, municipales, paradors, the whole gamut. I've never even heard of a theft first hand.

I say its more like urban myth.

That being said I hide my iPad and digital camera under my sleeping bag (very secure) while I shower, and I pretty much never leave phone and wallet outside of my possession, but that is just common sense.

Nobody wants my sweaty orthotics.

Now, I have lost three of those fancy ultralight towels and 1 pair of shorts over the years, but those were due to my own forgetfulness usually related to an early morning start before daylight.

Now, I have lost three of those fancy ultralight towels and 1 pair of shorts over the years, but those were due to my own forgetfulness usually related to an early morning start before daylight.

Yes, I've "donated" my elastic travel clothes line a few times.

There were no problems with theft in March or April 2014. I didn't meet a single pilgrim who had had something stolen - and trust me, people would have talked about it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All safe for us in April, May 2014 and heard nothing. But who would want my smell, personalised orthotics.

Here's the exact opposite. I unknowingly left my reflective white T-shirt on the white sheet at a private albergue in Los Arcos. I always wore a gray long-sleeved shirt early in the morning and only noticed it was missing at 10:30 that morning, half way to Viana, when the temperature zoomed past 30 C! I phoned the albergue and asked if they had found it. When she said "Yes" I asked if she could send it ahead by Xacotrans. She said she'd deliver it that afternoon if we could set a time and place! At 5:10 that afternoon she and my T shirt arrived at the cathedral, all for the sum of 10 Euros. I gave her 15! She could have sold it for 20!

May 2013, just a few days into his camino, my husband lost his beloved camera (Leica) when it walked out of his camera pouch unnoticed ). He realized it later in the day when he went to take more pictures. He figured he'd never see it again. That night a woman was going around asking if anyone had lost anything valuable further back on the trail. My husband told her he'd lost his camera. She had him fully describe the camera before ever revealing it. My husband then remember that there were pictures of himself on the camera he'd had others take of him if she needed further proof of ownership!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked last September and met a woman walking solo who had had her mobile phone and 200 euros stolen. Apparently there were quite a few people who had also been robbed in the night without noticing. They suspected someone pretending to be a Pilgrim stayed with them and did a "bulk job". Having said that I never experienced anything myself, but lol at those who say it is an urban myth. .....^^

I don't laugh at those who say that theft on the Camino is an urban myth but I do disagree with them. I think they, like myself, are more pointing out that theft is a pretty rare occurrence on the Camino. It does pay to use common sense because it does happen at times but it is not something to be overly worried about. How does that sound?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
5 times 0n the Camino and I have never experienced a theft. I stay at donativos, privados, municipales, paradors, the whole gamut. I've never even heard of a theft first hand.
Same for me to:), but had 3 camino's only till now :(

I walked last September and met a woman walking solo who had had her mobile phone and 200 euros stolen. Apparently there were quite a few people who had also been robbed in the night without noticing. They suspected someone pretending to be a Pilgrim stayed with them and did a "bulk job". Having said that I never experienced anything myself, but lol at those who say it is an urban myth. .....^^

I'm a horrible cynic no doubt, but are you sure she wasn't having a piece of you? How could "quite a few people" be robbed in the night, without noticing? Most people keep their cash in a money belt or sleep on it inside their sleeping bags - not easy to steal it from there. And someone in a dormitory is almost always awake - a huge risk of discovery I would think.

I don't doubt people on Camino get robbed; the Camino is part of this world. But sometimes this forum makes it seem as if it is commonplace, when clearly it is not.

I don't doubt people on Camino get robbed; the Camino is part of this world. But sometimes this forum makes it seem as if it is commonplace, when clearly it is not.
For a different perspective: what is the biggest change on the camino, to die or to get robbed? Personally, I heard about more people who died (4) than who got robbed.
Before new rumours start to go around; not many people die...

I really don't know any place which is more safe than the camino.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm a horrible cynic no doubt, but are you sure she wasn't having a piece of you? How could "quite a few people" be robbed in the night, without noticing? Most people keep their cash in a money belt or sleep on it inside their sleeping bags - not easy to steal it from there. And someone in a dormitory is almost always awake - a huge risk of discovery I would think.

I am also trying to contribute to the balance of experiences here so I think we agree. It is uncommon but does happen.
Having said that the woman in question responded to my question as to why she was upset and did not want anything from me. Not sure why it would be necessary to suggest she may have lied in order to fit your own view? We should probably question the honesty of all contributors here in that case? ;)
Buen Camino and exercise normal caution as one would anywhere else:)

I walked in May/June. I lost a few things but I can't imagine anyone stealing odd socks! Pilgrims overall are good people.

If you clean your boots well, can you take them to your sleeping place. ........
I would say it depends on the albergue. Many of them have a designated communal area for boots and poles and, whether you are in a private room or not, you are asked specifically to leave these items there; it is hard not to comply. I encountered other albergues where no such request was made, and there did not seem to be any communal area for these items, so we were free to take them to our private room (after cleaning them, of course). Some pilgrims choose to leave their boots overnight in the hallway outside their private albergue room. I did not stay much in albergue dormitorios but, from my limited experience, these can be so unventilated (the shut-windows people seem to win every time) that one can only imagine what smelly boots would do to the already stuffy atmosphere. Hope this answers your question. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
People were not taking cheap items from clothes lines. Under Armour ; Goer-Tex; Columbia; Patagonia; etc items disappeared while Wal Mart stuff stayed on the clothes line, except at Albergue de Austria where everything disappeared. All food and wine left the refrigerators with early walkers at several Albergues. Don't know anything about inserts for boots/shoes , but heard many walkers complaining in morning when they found their inserts missing from their boots/shoes. On the other hand, electronic junk was generally plugged in everywhere and ignored and never heard anyone lose any.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back