• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is missed from every packing list?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga,

Now you're talking!! As you may know home is in Champagne facing a vineyard. Thus at the end of each camino when at last I reach the sea I silently give thanks and then treat myself to a flute of true French champagne, toasting all who helped to make my journey possible. Watching the sea I slowly sip savoring the moment. When that glass is empty it is time to turn towards home .

Margaret Meredith

Wonderful - really the only thing to drink! Margaret, last year a friend asked for a recommendation for accommodation in Champagne. I wish I had known about you then - she had a week between conferences in Paris. You would have enjoyed meeting each other I think.

Notice a lot of pictures of people wearing eyeglasses but never see a list advising to take a repair kit. Don't know how many times I've used my little kit to repair glasses for another backpacker. It is hard to find those little screws for your frames in little villages. Even if you don't wear eyeglasses, Sunglasses also fall apart.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Notice a lot of pictures of people wearing eyeglasses but never see a list advising to take a repair kit. Don't know how many times I've used my little kit to repair glasses for another backpacker. It is hard to find those little screws for your frames in little villages. Even if you don't wear eyeglasses, Sunglasses also fall apart.

Good point. One of the small screws in my glasses came loose when I was walking the Camino. I had no repair kit, but fortunately a fellow peregrino did and helped me out. One of those little kits in the bag could be quite useful.

I wear glasses all the time. One of those little screws fell off. We fixed it together with duct tape ( we always take a small bit with is rolled around a stick of wood). In Najera I had a new screw fitted.
So..... What about a small length of duct tape? Anne

Yes! You would definitely be my
friend.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2M of nylon paracord (parachute cord), can be used for spare laces or the inner strands can be used for sewing repairs as needed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wear glasses all the time. One of those little screws fell off. We fixed it together with duct tape ( we always take a small bit with is rolled around a stick of wood). In Najera I had a new screw fitted.
A paper clip stuck though the holes and wrapped around will also fix a pair of glasses in a pinch. Really any piece of wire...
Rambler

Along with some duct tape, also useful is ripstop tape. Ask in an outdoor gear store. It's the ticket for repairing a tear in nylon clothing or a sleeping bag.
Apropos the wine and champagne memories: While we were on the Camino Frances, we took a little break in the Rioja region to celebrate our anniversary in the lovely town of La Guardia. Our host there gifted a very nice bottle of wine when we left, which I carried for quite a few days until we had the proper occasion to share it with some fellow pilgrims.
Buen camino.
Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kanga,

Now you're talking!! As you may know home is in Champagne facing a vineyard. Thus at the end of each camino when at last I reach the sea I silently give thanks and then treat myself to a flute of true French champagne, toasting all who helped to make my journey possible. Watching the sea I slowly sip savoring the moment. When that glass is empty it is time to turn towards home .

Margaret Meredith
My kind of traveller. Although I am really looking forward to the local wine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A paper clip stuck though the holes and wrapped around will also fix a pair of glasses in a pinch. Really any piece of wire...
Rambler
Well yes.... I didn't have a paper clip ( or any other piece of wire), but we always take a bit of duct tape. ;)Anne

:):)
Kanga,

Margaret Meredith
Champagne, my favorite! You have helped me so much with the planning of my Camino so I will definetly toast you when I am finished with my Camino. Buen Camino to all of you!

A paper clip stuck though the holes and wrapped around will also fix a pair of glasses in a pinch

Are Spanish stores like Guatemala Tiendas where they will sell you ONE paperclip? Our local Dollar Store sells Eyeglass repair kit with a dozen different screws f0r $1.

Duct tape--customs generally confiscates my small roll of Duct Tape/100 Mile Per Hour tape.

Missing from list--Talc Powder!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Carry a sewing kit from pound town thread needles safety pins buttons you can use thread a needle and stitch your glasses with the thread makes for a temporary repair until you can replace missing screw. Safety Pins come in handy for losing trouser buttons needles handy for blister treatment and small rolls of different coloured thread about the size of a matchstick you get the idea comes in a neat plastic case

(For women) A friend who had walked the Camino suggested I bring a pair of leggings and I was so glad I did! I wore them under my pants on cold days, around the albergue when I was doing laundry, and with a skirt on chilly nights when I went to dinner.

Clako bedbug spray!
Hi Kanga - is this a local "Spanish" brand?

Hi Xin loi - why do customs confiscate the Duct Tape?? :(- I carry a small roll - about 10mm in diametre & 35-40 mm wide; or about 2 metres taken of a large roll from home. (But I also put in my checked backpack.)
The idea about buying a "glasses repair kit" sound great. ;)
A paper clip stuck though the holes and wrapped around will also fix a pair of glasses in a pinch. Our local Dollar Store sells Eyeglass repair kit with a dozen different screws f0r $1. Duct tape--customs generally confiscates my small roll of Duct Tape/100 Mile Per Hour tape.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also wrap Duct Tape around a pencil and Customs usually takes it. No idea why.

Also Eyeglass repair kit--noticed that my sunglass screws do not go all the way thru frame so I would not be able to repair with thread or paper clip. Will have to see if a screw in repair kit will thread into the frame or not.

Also realized that a way to save major weight and not worry about repair of glasses is to wear a monocle and duct tape other eye.

I also wrap Duct Tape around a pencil and Customs usually takes it. No idea why.

Also Eyeglass repair kit--noticed that my sunglass screws do not go all the way thru frame so I would not be able to repair with thread or paper clip. Will have to see if a screw in repair kit will thread into the frame or not.

Also realized that a way to save major weight and not worry about repair of glasses is to wear a monocle and duct tape other eye.

I wrap duct tape around my water bottle, and it has never been confiscated by customs. In fact I never even thought about the possibility! I use the duct tape for repairs, blisters, and theoretically to hold a wound together.

My repair kit includes half a dozen or so of small cable ties. The ones that I like are the second smallest size - large enough for smaller repairs, and a couple can be chained together for larger repairs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Duct tape--customs generally confiscates my small roll of Duct Tape/100 Mile Per Hour tape.

I've heard of it being removed from hand luggage as it could be used as a form of restraint.

I couldnt live without duct tape. If duct tape cant fix it then it's totally screwed.

There is also stuff called Tear Aid which is like duct tape on steroids. Completely waterproof, designed for field repairs to inflatable boats.

Blind in one eye. Therefore no need for this tip. ;)

2M of nylon paracord (parachute cord), can be used for spare laces or the inner strands can be used for sewing repairs as needed.
I have about 10 feet braided into a wrist band. I attached to the zipper pull on my pack. It has many uses and is part on my emergency supplies in my car and truck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've heard of it being removed from hand luggage as it could be used as a form of restraint.

I couldnt live without duct tape. If duct tape cant fix it then it's totally screwed.

There is also stuff called Tear Aid which is like duct tape on steroids. Completely waterproof, designed for field repairs to inflatable boats.

Would customs confiscate medical tape? I mean the soft paper type... that is what I use for blister prevention as it doesn't peel off and is so thin you don't feel it. No checking in my bag so 2 rolls will be in my medical kit in thw back pack.

Duct tape is usually quite wide and needs cutting but medical tape is usually really narrow and breaks when pulled so it shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried you can buy some when you reach the Camino. We prefer the Spanish tape to our own.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember someone telling me once that there are two main components to a tool kit -
Duct tape for things that move and shouldn't
WD40 for things that don't move and should

Okay, I suspect this one is going to be REALLY controversial: I carried an unlocked iPhone and bought a local Spanish SIM card with a data plan. It was absolutely invaluable to me and I NEVER used it to stay "connected" in any way.

- Downloaded detailed maps (some actually showing the Camino).
- Used the GPS to verify where I was on occasion.
- Pretty decent camera.
- There are several Camino-specific apps that listed aubergues, hostels, guest houses that were sometimes not in the book.
- When I heard about crowded lodging ahead I could call and make a reservation.
- Language translator apps helped me with my Spanish.
- Was able to look up information about various points of interest that I discovered.
- Looked up historical facts giving me a better appreciation of many sights along the way.
- If I ever cared, I could check the weather.
- Record name, number, address for new friends I met along the way.
- Handy calculator for currency conversion, figuring tips, adding up kilometers for trail sections or side excursions.

I didn't use it for the following but it offers the option depending on your frame of mind:

- Listen to music.
- Place a "Skype" phone call back home.
- Provide loved ones with a rolling update through either a blog or Facebook.
- Email (yuk).
- Record a daily journal of thoughts & experiences (either typed out text or even voice notes).
- Record short videos.
- Conversion calculations for those moments when you absolutely HAVE TO KNOW what something is in miles, pounds, or gallons!

I put mine in a "LifeProof" case so I didn't have to worry about rain, dirt, or drops.

Clothes line. Lot of albergues have limited lines available. I actually had people trying to put their clothes on my line while I was still tying it up. Don,t know if it matters but I would bring more rocks to put on the cairns for the mountain Gods.

Diaper pins (they're hard to find!) for those Smartwool socks to dry!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I wrap a length of duct tape around a walking pole for use in such emergencies.

Probably because customs officers understand that duct tape can be used for more sinister purposes than fixing eyeglasses. Maybe it would be ok in checked luggage wrapped around walking poles?

I wrap about a metre around one of my walking poles. It's there when you need it so no searching your pack for it
Oh, I didn't see this post before posting mine. Sorry for the double up.

A circle of rubber (inner tube) approx 3" in diameter, for those places where you really need a sink plug and there isn't one. Much lighter than a bought universal stopper and flat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just revising my list for the benefit of fellow Brits and adding the following:
Chamber pot or collapsible thunder-box
Izal skid-paper
Dressing gown, flannelette pyjamas and slippers
Candle, matches and Candle Stick Holder
Brilliantine for the Barnet
Wax for the moustachios
Cigar cutter and humidor
...I am sure I have forgotten something.....?!

Salt and pepper! For the first time in 43,days in Spain, tonight I actually had both salt and pepper on my table. Along the way I shared my salt and pepper that I brought with me. Ever read Marco Polo? He claimed Beging, China was so big that it used 8 ton of pepper per day. Bet the entire country of Spain uses less than a kilo a year of pepper.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Salt and pepper! For the first time in 43,days in Spain, tonight I actually had both salt and pepper on my table. Along the way I shared my salt and pepper that I brought with me.
It is most generous of you to share such a precious commodity. I usually carry a few sachets collected from places that have them. It there is none at the table at a bar, it is a simple matter to ask - I don't think I would have thought it necessary to bring my own from home.

Www.hikerswool.co.nz

I used the medi pack and had enough for me and to share.
In the US one can get lambs wool in most drug stores for about US$ 3 - 6 for about 1/4 - 1/3 oz. An orthopedist recommended it to me. She works with ballet dancers who use it all the time in the toes of their shoes. She advised me to use a tiny bit - just pull off a small strand and wrap a problem toe with it -- very nice stuff!! And it weighs nothing! It's coming with me again on the next Camino!
Terry

Duct Tape: the brand endorsed by Star Wars.

After all, there is a light side, there is a dark side, and it hold the universe together!

Izal skid-paper
Wax for the moustachios
Cigar cutter and humidor
You haven't forgotten a superb sense of humor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rambler
And a method I have used in the past, @Rambler - not very chic, but definitely functional!
Suzanne :)

Carry a sewing kit from pound town thread needles safety pins buttons you can use thread a needle and stitch your glasses with the thread makes for a temporary repair until you can replace missing screw. .......
@cathal Ferris, I've also used the thread method for my glasses at times!!!
Suzanne :)

There is, at least here in the States, another variant of the classic duck tape called "Gorilla Tape." It is from the same folks who market "Gorilla Glue." The tape comes in 1" and 2" width. I have only seen in in black. I do not know how they do it, but it is better adhering than duck tape, and tolerates water better.

I started carrying a partial roll of the 1" variant. It is much stronger than duck tape, at least IMHO.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The pebble!
Tetley Tea bags....I was longing for a proper mug of tea.....it is just not the same when served with hot frothy milk....and tasting of perfume....x

Izal skid-paper
Wax for the moustachios
Cigar cutter and humidor
Tea bags x

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.