• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the best book to take with you for finding herbergs/albergues/hostels

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
hi,
I just walked the Camino from Porto to Santiago. My first trip alone, so I did it the 'easy' way with booked hotels. I got the Camino fever and I want to go again next year april/ may for the Camino Francés.
I don't want to book all in advance because I want to be free how many kilometers I Will walk at a day. What book is good to take with which gives good Information about the route, the things to see and the sleeping places?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi,
I just walked the Camino from Porto to Santiago. My first trip alone, so I did it the 'easy' way with booked hotels. I got the Camino fever and I want to go again next year april/ may for the Camino Francés.
I don't want to book all in advance because I want to be free how many kilometers I Will walk at a day. What book is good to take with which gives good Information about the route, the things to see and the sleeping places?

Hi

I walked the Frances this July and I only had my Camino Pilgrim app plus the list of albergues given by the Pilgrim Office..... I found my way to all the albergues with great ease... But I booked my first 2 nights at SJPDP - staying at Gite Ultreia which was 17E per night in a room of 3 other pilgrims...

Yes, isnt the Camino so contagious and wonderfully peaceful.... so much so that I would have walked this month but am away so, am walking the Portuguese in November this year from Porto.... I love the freedom of walking long distance .... plus all the other benefits!

Buen Camino

hi,
I use gronze.com which lists places in stages they give you the website plus email plus sometimes a link to booking.com. However there is airbnb and the downloadable PDF on this site too. I jumped between these plus the Michelin Map Guide. Also other pilgrims ahead of me were passing back INTEL on good places to stay eg the Auberge in St Nicholas just beyond Ledigos is great.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

I walked the Frances this July and I only had my Camino Pilgrim app plus the list of albergues given by the Pilgrim Office..... I found my way to all the albergues with great ease... But I booked my first 2 nights at SJPDP - staying at Gite Ultreia which was 17E per night in a room of 3 other pilgrims...

Yes, isnt the Camino so contagious and wonderfully peaceful.... so much so that I would have walked this month but am away so, am walking the Portuguese in November this year from Porto.... I love the freedom of walking long distance .... plus all the other benefits!

Buen Camino
Thank you! How was the walking to Roncevalle? Is it good to do? Is there a bed after 8 km? And after that? Because I look up to this part and am a bit afraid that it might be to heavy ....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like paper, to take notes in at the end of the day. It helps me remember where I've, what I've seen more easily. Then when people ask questions on the forum I can answer with more precision. So for the Frances I would recommend good old John Brierly. But being paper means that it may not have the latest changes: new or closed albeegues and bars.

If you start in SJPP, the Pilgrim's Office will give you a list of albergues, with distances from to the other, but no photos nor commentary. Just name, town, contact information and services.

You can also consult the Gronze website that has already been mentioned, but also the Eroski site, in Spanish, which has a photo of each albergue, contact info, etc., but also comments left by others. Comments to sometimes be take with a grain of salt, but if all rave or all complain then...

The walk from SJPP via the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles is solid excercise. But there is 1 albergue, plus what is really its overflow, 8km out. If you think you will want to stay there you must book ahead. This is Orisson. And as suggested, also book your bed in SJPP.

Thank you! How was the walking to Roncevalle? Is it good to do? Is there a bed after 8 km? And after that? Because I look up to this part and am a bit afraid that it might be to heavy ....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi

I stayed the night at Orisson as had booked and, on reflection, I think this is a great idea, although I reached Orisson at about 10 am.... Plus. at Orisson, you get to know the people whom you will probably meet throughout the whole camino..... indeed, some would say, they become your 'Camino Family'. But, the Camino is quite fluid, as I took rest days in Pamplona, so 'lost' some of the people I knew, but soon caught up. But, you get to know new people . I met some forum members, and they were all wonderful!

The walk to Roncesvalles was ok... I took the steep descent into the woods and I walked with someone I met at Orisson and we had a good laugh. But, the Pilgrim Office gives you clear maps and guides re the walk from SJPDP to the Pyreenees and the routes to take - either the steep descent into the woods or the other 'green' route. I heard that quite a few people hurt themselves descending into the wood, so you have to be sooooo careful... In fact, the guy with me tripped even in warm, non muddy July. I think, if you are not sure, then, please do take the other route. It is, I understand, very slightly longer, but safety is paramount - you do not want to end your camino before you even begin!

Buen Camino

Ginette

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi again @Yellowfriend

I walked in Jyly/August this year, and I did book my hotels/albergues until Formista (via booking.com).... but, when I got to Pamplona and saw that there were LOADS of empty beds everywhere I stopped, I cancelled my bookings and just stopped and stayed where I felt like it.... I love the spontaniety and the freedom!

I dont know about April/May but there were threads this year about crowds on the CF then. But, whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great Camino.

Ginette

I walked the Frances without a guide book. I just used apps and websites on my phone, this site in particular http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/

I also spent the first night at Orisson, but I hung around St Jean until about 11:00, so I arrived in the early afternoon. And I spent the previous night at the wonderful Pension Corazon Puro. The owner if the pension picked me up from the train station in Pamplona, then after a delicious home cooked meal and a good sleep, he drove me and the other guests to St Jean in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi,
Hello, on the CF we've always used the Miam Miam Do Do book available on Amazon
It's a French publication...re written every year with the names and telephone no of every albergue..municipal and private, also pensions,hostales hotels and casa ruales
Also gives the price of the accommodation
Got us out of a spot or two!!
Also gives the general infrastructure eg.post offices, train stations etc in each town. Best wishes Annette

hi,

Miam Miam Do Do,
Whether its alberques, pensions or hotels it shows how many rooms, how many in each room etc etc etc.
The best by a mile.

Just keep it simple. Get the Brierley guidebook, and use it in conjunction with the current list of albergues with their information that they give you at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP.
Easy Peasy....
buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All I will add to the very good information in this thread is that:

1. Books, ALL books are typically obsolete by the time they leave the printer and go into distribution.
2. Internet content can be updated quickly, daily if needed.
3. Smart phone apps can similarly be updated, provided this is done by the author regularly, or as is the case with www.booking.com or www.gronze.com, the mobile app connects you to their mobile-sized web application.
4. MOST IMPORTANT - Your smart phone and charger, with all the myriad apps and "tools" in it, likely weighs less than the Brierley or most other guide books. Don't take my word for it. Use a postal or diet scale and weigh you phone with charger and cable. I was surprised. YOU make the choice - paper or electrons...

I did my first three Caminos using a flip phone and a separate iPod Touch requiring Wi-Fi, available at cafes etc. I carried the Brierley guide as well. In late 2015, I "surrendered" and invested in an iPhone 6s. I am now a smart phone lover for using on the Camino; NOT an addict mind you, I still use discipline in my daily usage. But, I will go so far as to state that if Mr. Brierley does not soon move his complete guides to the smart phone app world, he is going to start losing adherents.

Working at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago for the past three years, it has been my empirical observation that more and more younger pilgrims are relying primarily their smart phones. Due to the relocation of the office this past year, they could be seen navigating to the new location using their maps functions and apps. As the "Millennial Generation" start to do Camino more, they will likely (IMHO) not tolerate using BOTH a smart phone AND a paper guide book. As useful as it is, any analog guide book carries a weight penalty that more and more pilgrims are less and less willing to tolerate.

Also, for those of you who still favor starting with a paper guide book and tearing out only the pages you need, disposing of the pages you no longer need as you progress, consider that some of us, including me, consider this somewhat of a "sin" against civilization and knowledge. I was raised to treat books, ALL BOOKS (even the ones I viscerally despised), with reverence, as they represented the summary of our knowledge and civilization. Willful destruction of these items amounts to desecration, at least IMHO.

So, to you lot, I implore you to adopt a digital solution. It will provide many more and very useful tools for you on your Camino. It saves weight; one device does so much more than multiple physical devices: camera, GPS, internet access, weather forecasts, locating needed services, text messaging, phone calls, etc. Of course, in a supreme moment of need, no smart phone can provide "field expedient" toilet paper...;):eek: But, I digress...

I consider the smart phone to be an electronic "Swiss Army Knife" sort of device for the 21st century. I admit to be a late adopter, but that was my choice. I am glad I made the change when I did.

I hope this helps the dialog.

disposing of the pages you no longer need as you progress, consider that some of us, including me, consider this somewhat of a "sin" against civilization and knowledge.
I could not agree more! Books are precious.

I still like my Brierley so that I can make notations, write down where I stay and the comments I make along the way. It's also a great reference book when your Camino friends come to stay the following year.

All I will add to the very good information in this thread is that:

1. Books, ALL books are typically obsolete by the time they leave the printer and go into distribution.
2. Internet content can be updated quickly, daily if needed.
3. Smart phone apps can similarly be updated, provided this is done by the author regularly, or as is the case with www.booking.com or www.gronze.com, the mobile app connects you to their mobile-sized web application.
4. MOST IMPORTANT - Your smart phone and charger, with all the myriad apps and "tools" in it, likely weighs less than the Brierley or most other guide books. Don't take my word for it. Use a postal or diet scale and weigh you phone with charger and cable. I was surprised. YOU make the choice - paper or electrons...

I did my first three Caminos using a flip phone and a separate iPod Touch requiring Wi-Fi, available at cafes etc. I carried the Brierley guide as well. In late 2015, I "surrendered" and invested in an iPhone 6s. I am now a smart phone lover for using on the Camino; NOT an addict mind you, I still use discipline in my daily usage. But, I will go so far as to state that if Mr. Brierley does not soon move his complete guides to the smart phone app world, he is going to start losing adherents.

Working at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago for the past three years, it has been my empirical observation that more and more younger pilgrims are relying primarily their smart phones. Due to the relocation of the office this past year, they could be seen navigating to the new location using their maps functions and apps. As the "Millennial Generation" start to do Camino more, they will likely (IMHO) not tolerate using BOTH a smart phone AND a paper guide book. As useful as it is, any analog guide book carries a weight penalty that more and more pilgrims are less and less willing to tolerate.

Also, for those of you who still favor starting with a paper guide book and tearing out only the pages you need, disposing of the pages you no longer need as you progress, consider that some of us, including me, consider this somewhat of a "sin" against civilization and knowledge. I was raised to treat books, ALL BOOKS (even the ones I viscerally despised), with reverence, as they represented the summary of our knowledge and civilization. Willful destruction of these items amounts to desecration, at least IMHO.

So, to you lot, I implore you to adopt a digital solution. It will provide many more and very useful tools for you on your Camino. It saves weight; one device does so much more than multiple physical devices: camera, GPS, internet access, weather forecasts, locating needed services, text messaging, phone calls, etc. Of course, in a supreme moment of need, no smart phone can provide "field expedient" toilet paper...;):eek: But, I digress...

I consider the smart phone to be an electronic "Swiss Army Knife" sort of device for the 21st century. I admit to be a late adopter, but that was my choice. I am glad I made the change when I did.

I hope this helps the dialog.
Thank you. Which app is useful for this? I also like to read about the possibilities to sleep before I Will leave ; )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a fan of the Wise Pilgrim Guides, available for both Apple and Android devices.

There are other posts where I provided a complete list of my favorite Camino related apps. You can search for it using the phrase "favorite Camino apps."

I hope this helps.

hi,

I am proud that you have done the Portuguese Yellowfriend and *you should be proud.
But
In 07 when we first walked you could not book ahead in the albergues.
It made for a wonderful way.
We have out grown our first camino because of age and $ available but it is something we really miss......they are never the same .
Please Yellowfriend [ the arrow] just get lost.
The Camino is a highway , you won't get lost , however if you have time do not book ahead....just take your time.

One day someone will write about the 90's when nothing was available [ phones to prebook , iPads , tour companies and half the accommodation ]
Please don't worry too much about the camino, the Portuguese set you up to cover all emergencies.

PS Miam Miam Do Do is right book ,
Buen Camino YF

There is a very useful resource on this forum. A listing of favourite albergues on the Camino Frances. John Brierley's guides do a great job of highlighting where all the albergues are the resource downloadable from the "Camino resources" section, gives you a hint as to which are the better options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a fan of the Wise Pilgrim Guides, available for both Apple and Android devices.

There are other posts where I provided a complete list of my favorite Camino related apps. You can search for it using the phrase "favorite Camino apps."

I hope this helps.
Thank you! :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked the Frances without a guide book. I just used apps and websites on my phone, this site in particular http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/

I also spent the first night at Orisson, but I hung around St Jean until about 11:00, so I arrived in the early afternoon. And I spent the previous night at the wonderful Pension Corazon Puro. The owner if the pension picked me up from the train station in Pamplona, then after a delicious home cooked meal and a good sleep, he drove me and the other guests to St Jean in the morning.

Hello! Trecile,
Great website, I downloaded French way and Muxia.
I will be start walking from Astorga on March 20th till April 13th. 2017
I will take my time to walk, accommodation, when my leg tells me to check in
places to stop for the day. Now mostly packing, re packing, ordering suitable shoes
to carry me thru, walking, ect. Training,prep. is fun part.
Thanks the link. Buen Camino.
CathyK.

I am proud that you have done the Portuguese Yellowfriend and *you should be proud.
But
In 07 when we first walked you could not book ahead in the albergues.
It made for a wonderful way.
We have out grown our first camino because of age and $ available but it is something we really miss......they are never the same .
Please Yellowfriend [ the arrow] just get lost.
The Camino is a highway , you won't get lost , however if you have time do not book ahead....just take your time.

One day someone will write about the 90's when nothing was available [ phones to prebook , iPads , tour companies and half the accommodation ]
Please don't worry too much about the camino, the Portuguese set you up to cover all emergencies.

PS Miam Miam Do Do is right book ,
Buen Camino YF
Thank you! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello! Trecile,
Great website, I downloaded French way and Muxia.
I will be start walking from Astorga on March 20th till April 13th. 2017
I will take my time to walk, accommodation, when my leg tells me to check in
places to stop for the day. Now mostly packing, re packing, ordering suitable shoes
to carry me thru, walking, ect. Training,prep. is fun part.
Thanks the link. Buen Camino.
CathyK.
Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back