• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the best city to fly into to begin CF?

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
I’d like to take a train directly into SJPDP. Am I correct in believing that’s Paris or is it Barcelona? I think I remember taking the train from BCN to Pamplona, but the Rome2Rio app shows a train directly from Degaule to SJPDP. Does that sound right?

What have some former CF walkers done?

I’ve tried BCN and Madrid (which was a bus ride). I’d love to travel by train.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oddly, I have traveled from Brussels as well as Paris depending on the fare. Check out TGV trains direct from Brussels if you can get a better airfare there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’d like to take a train directly into SJPDP. Am I correct in believing that’s Paris or is it Barcelona? I think I remember taking the train from BCN to Pamplona, but the Rome2Rio app shows a train directly from Degaule to SJPDP. Does that sound right?

I would have to ask where are you coming from? There is no train from Spain.
The rail gauges are different! Cf Canfranc for Somport crossing on Arles/ Aragones route and Hendaye on Northern route.
The railway track from Bayonne to SJPdP was taken out by severe storms and flooding a few years ago. Is it fixed? Or did SNCF decide to leave the bus connections in place?

Biarritz (BIQ) airport is the closest airport to SJPP. Biarritz is just a few km (a simple bus trip) from Bayonne, which is where you get the train to SJPP (even if you get the train from Paris).
I arrive BIQ next Tuesday morning. Would you mind providing a brief guide to catching the bus to Bayonne? Where will I purchase the ticket (machine/live person) and where is the bus depot in the airport? Thank you.

We flew into Madrid (because there are plenty of flights available and we find the airport easy to navigate). From there, we took the train to Pamplona, spent a day recovering from air travel, then took bus to SJPDP next day. Love taking the train--the terrain is so interesting. And enjoyed time in Pamplona.

Kitty

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I arrive BIQ next Tuesday morning. Would you mind providing a brief guide to catching the bus to Bayonne? Where will I purchase the ticket (machine/live person) and where is the bus depot in the airport? Thank you.
BIQ is a very small airport. Hard to get lost. Just outside the arrivals area there is a bus stop. Probably with a lot of people carrying rucksacks waiting beside it. Confirm with the driver that the bus is going to Bayonne Gare. Just pay the driver as you board.

We flew into Paris and took the subway down to Montparnasse train station (gare), where we then caught a highspeed train directly to Bayonne. We spent the night there and then took the early morning bus (that they have running from the train station) on to SJPP, and then walked up to Orisson for the night.

In 2018 we flew into London, then took a Ryan Air flight over to Biarritz, where we spent the night. From there we took the local bus over to the Bayonne train station (gare) and then on to SJPP. I found it much more straightforward to fly through London (where I could speak the language) than through Paris, but many people love Paris so it comes down to what your personal preferences might be.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like the specifics, and things we learned about traveling via Paris or London.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1665498855416.pngJust buy the local bus ticket as you board the bus, just outside the BIQ airport. Google maps here shows it as bus 4, but for some reason I was thinking it was bus C. Just ask the driver as you board the bus, to be sure. You can also ask the drive to let you know when you've arrived at Réduit Boufflers. (You can write down if you don't speak French.) Good luck and Buen Camino.

DeGaul to Montparnasse (still in Paris) then to Bayonne then a final train to SJPdP, if it is still running, if not then by bus to destination.

For me, however, was to fly into Biarritz and taxi to SJPdP with 3 other Peregrinos, (new friends).

The best city to fly in if you're starting from SJPDP is Paris. You can catch a train from CDG with connecting local train directly to SJPDP.

Flying into Madrid or Barcelona you would end up staying one night in Pamplona so you can catch a bus to SJPDP. Or pay 135 Euros for a taxi ride to SJPDP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In early August, I flew into Paris (CDG) from Chicago. I took a train into the city and stayed a night. Then from Montparnasse train station in Paris, I took a train mid-day to Bayonne, where I had about an hour wait for the train to SJPDP. I think I arrived there no later than 7:00 pm. It was very easy to purchase my tickets in advance online using the Rail Europe mobile app.

the Rome2Rio app shows a train directly from Degaule to SJPDP. Does that sound right?
Yes and no.

When you click on the line that you see in Rome2Rio for more details, you will see that it is not a direct train. You have to change trains twice, once in Bordeaux and once in Bayonne. But you will travel on trains all the way from the high speed (TGV) train station of Paris CdG airport to SJPP train station.

Rome2rio not being what it once was, I don't see the other option for travelling by train from Paris airport to SJPP. It, too, involves 2 changes and hence 3 trains in total. This option starts with a regional train from the RER train station of Paris CdG airport to Paris Montparnasse TGV station. The second change is again in Bayonne.

I few from Paris to Biarritz and took Express Bourricot van to SJPp
They collect you from the airport .. the price of the fare( 90€) is divided between the passengers( Max capacity 9)
Go on their web site for info and bookings

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Time permitting....
We loved to fly into CDG, spend a day, train to Bordeaux, spend a day (or 2!), train or bus to Bayonne and then onto SJPDP!
It gave us a chance to relax and get accustomed to time zones, get out of our rush, rush travel schedule and get mentally relaxed to start our camino.
Just a thought.

I few from Paris to Biarritz and took Express Bourricot van to SJPp
They collect you from the airport .. the price of the fare( 90€) is divided between the passengers( Max capacity 9)
Go on their web site for info and bookings
I booked that EB a few weeks ago and they told me that I was the only person so far. They said that they would contact me about a week out (which is now) to let me know if anyone else booked. So far, no one. So, I would pay the 90 solo or could ride the bus/train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I flew into Biarritz (connecting flight from Paris CDG) and shared a taxi to SJPdP but I could have taken the train from Bayonne.

This summer we flew from the US to Madrid. From there we caught a flight to Pamplona. Trains are also available. Depending on your need to rest, and time of arrival, you can take a bus or share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPDP. We shared a taxi cutting the cost in half. We left NC at 6pm and landed in Spain at 8am. The flight to Pamplona was at about 12. We ate lunch there, met the couple for the taxi, and were in SJPDP before supper.
Checked into the pension and went up the trail the next am.
It was all beautiful and pretty easy.
So Madrid was great for us. We know that airport, the Spanish rail system, and can operate in Spanish. The trip home was also easier to go back thru Madrid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We have done both Paris and Madrid. We prefer Madrid.

For those who will take a trans-oceanic flight to get to the Camino, it’s worth considering the total trip. Where will you fly home from?

For me, it always turns out best to fly into Madrid and then continue to starting city by connecting flight, train, or bus (in order of preference). If I get a connecting flight I make sure it’s on one ticket. This can be a very good option for those who fly into Spain on an airline in the One World Alliance, but got others it’s more expensive and complicated. For the Francés, I would fly into Pamplona and then take bus to SJPP.

Coming home has gotten more complicated now that Iberia seems to have removed its 6 AM flight from Santiago to Madrid. For a handful of years, I was able to get on the plane in Santiago at 6 AM, make a connection in Madrid, and get home that evening. Without a 6 AM flight though, it’s impossible to get there in time to make a connection. So I now use train from Santiago to Madrid, and the new fast train is about 3 1/2 hours, but it’s still requires an overnight in Madrid.

I realize that everyone’s situation is different, and my particular details may not be helpful for you, but I do think that it’s a good idea to figure out the return flight as well, to see how to maximize price and efficiency

SJPDP can be a pain to get to or shall I say awkward 🙃 pending what time you get into Biarritz, I got the number 4 bus into Bayonne then waited a couple of hours for the train ..however I do understand its alot more difficult to get to if you are coming from anywhere in Spain

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Paris then a connecting train or bus to Bayonne then onto SJPDP from there but you need to find your eta into Bayonne as you may need to spend the night there ..I know it is a pain to get to SJPDP that's one reason why many would start from Pamplona unless you have time to go via Paris

It gave us a chance to relax and get accustomed to time zones, get out of our rush, rush travel schedule and get mentally relaxed to start our camino.
Whatever the OP decides to do (there are no wrong answers travel-wise) this is an EXCELLENT piece of advice. The urge to rush to the trail head is strong, but getting your clock straight, your body rehydrated, and your head adjusted to a more relaxed pace will lower your chance of injury, and you will enjoy the first week a lot more. Take your time........it's not going anywhere.

There are train rides from DeGaulle to SJPDP but with transfer/change to local trains in Bayonne I believe that will take you direct to SJPDP, a few blocks from albergues, etc and the Pilgrims' Office. Pretty much the same day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a thought.
but getting your clock straight, your body rehydrated, and your head adjusted to a more relaxed pace will lower your chance of injury, and you will enjoy the first week a lot more. Take your time........it's not going anywhere.

Just wanted to add a slightly different perspective. As travel guru Rick Steves notes, the best way to get over jet lag is fresh air, exercise, and sunlight (or at least daylight). For me that means using my arrival day in Spain (from US) to travel to my starting point, get my sim card, buy food for the walk, and then walking the next day. Maybe just a short day, and maybe others are different, but for me hanging around and relaxing in a town is far inferior to the circadian rhythm reset that comes from walking outside.

I know some people, like @jpflavin1, like to start walking immediately upon arrival from an international flight (e.g., arriving on a flight in Almería at 1 pm and walking 12 kms to Santa Fe de Mondújar, or arriving in Madrid in the morning, getting a train to Chamartin, and starting the Camino de Madrid immediatelly), but I can’t get myself organized enough to do that.

Bordeaux, Biarritz, Pau, Tarbes, and then start walking from the airport.

Pau, I'd say, then walk to SJPP via Lourdes.

maybe others are different, but for me hanging around and relaxing in a town is far inferior to the circadian rhythm reset that comes from walking outside
I like to spend a couple of days in my arrival city before heading to the Camino. I don't spend much time relaxing though. I'm usually on the go sightseeing, taking a walking tour, visiting museums, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depending on your starting point.
I would prefer Paris. In Paris you can take the highspeed train to Bayonne, change it to the local train.
The only annoyance is the train transport from CDG to Gare Montparnasse.

HTH
Oh I dont know... RER B is not bad at all
I had no issues....
(and I also prefer flying into Paris and then take the train from there)

I have landed in Madrid and in Paris. Madrid was a bus ride to Pamplona and then an expensive taxi ride to SJPdP.
From Paris, I took the train to Bayonne and started my Camino there. It added 3 days and the Camino Baztan was absolutely beautiful. If you can afford the time consider the extra few days. You won't regret it.

I was able to take the high speed train from Paris to SJPP directly from the airport (lower level) to SJPP. Had to change trains in Bayonne to the local train (different track size-very easy). The train from the airport doesn’t run every day so you may have to take a bus or subway into downtown Paris to catch the train.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would have to ask where are you coming from? There is no train from Spain.
The rail gauges are different! Cf Canfranc for Somport crossing on Arles/ Aragones route and Hendaye on Northern route.
Some lines in Spain have been converted to the "standard" (rather "more common") gauge. Some trains actually have two sets of wheels. They stop on a place whether the two gauges overlap, lift one set, lower the other, and continue. I had one of those transitions on a trip that was entirely within Spain. And there are routes available where you just change trains where the gauge changes. For "Madrid to Paris," Rome2Rio shows a route through Donostia & Bayonne, and another through Barcelona.

You can train from Madrid to Pamplona and bus to sjpp- I always go to Madrid

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back