• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the best route for Camino Portuguese?

Ereny Rezekalla

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi I'm going to walk the coastal part of the camino portugues.
Hi,

This is my first time to go on the camino, and I wanted a quiet route to take.

I only have time to walk for 7 nights maximum, what's the best route to take to santiago spain?

Do I go coastal or the main route? Also if you have any resources on alberuges in English this would be great.

Ereny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

This is my first time to go on the camino, and I wanted a quiet route to take.

I only have time to walk for 7 nights maximum, what's the best route to take to santiago spain?

Do I go coastal or the main route? Also if you have any resources on alberuges in English this would be great.

Ereny
My husband and I walked from Santarem to Santiago last June/July 2016. We wrote a blog called ourwayportuguesecaminho.wordpress.com which you may find quite interesting. The Portuguese route is definitely a quiet route. I would suggest you walk from Tui in Spain following John Brierley's suggested routing but spending the first night near Porrino which is about half way. If you walk from Tui to Redondela, the distance is about 34 kilometres, a long way. We thoroughly enjoyed our walk, although it was tough at times. Good Luck!

Having done both central route and the coastal route from Porto, I would say that the coastal route was quieter and a bit more scenic (if you like ocean views). But remember, if you are walking the last 7 days into SdC, the two routes merge in Redondela, so that section will be busier for the last 3-4 days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having done both central route and the coastal route from Porto, I would say that the coastal route was quieter and a bit more scenic (if you like ocean views). But remember, if you are walking the last 7 days into SdC, the two routes merge in Redondela, so that section will be busier for the last 3-4 days.
Thanks a lot. do you have any resources or list for alberuges on the coastal route?

Welcome Ereny!
I really enjoyed walking the coastal route last September and the map on this site with its list of albergues is the only one I used. It is the picture about 4 up from the bottom that shows a green line for the route. I stayed on the route that hugs the coast.

Bom Caminho!

Welcome Ereny!
I really enjoyed walking the coastal route last September and the map on this site with its list of albergues is the only one I used. It is the picture about 4 up from the bottom that shows a green line for the route. I stayed on the route that hugs the coast.

Bom Caminho!
Thanks a lot mike.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband and I walked from Santarem to Santiago last June/July 2016. We wrote a blog called ourwayportuguesecaminho.wordpress.com which you may find quite interesting. The Portuguese route is definitely a quiet route. I would suggest you walk from Tui in Spain following John Brierley's suggested routing but spending the first night near Porrino which is about half way. If you walk from Tui to Redondela, the distance is about 34 kilometres, a long way. We thoroughly enjoyed our walk, although it was tough at times. Good Luck!
Your blog has great details... Thanks a lot

I finished the coastal route about 5 days ago (currently heading to Muxia/ Finisterre) and did the central 2 years ago both starting in Porto.

I honestly don't have a preference as yet as I like sections of both especially taking the ferry from Caminha and walking up the coast via Vigo into Redondela where it meets the central route.

I'm currently using an app from "Wise Pilgrim Guides" on the Finisterre Route that was £1.99 on android and it is great for giving advice on albergues (has a whole list and directory) as well as private albergues that you can book through "booking.com" directly from the list. There's one for the Portuguese as well so check it out on Google Play or iphone.

My recommendation with 7 days would be to get another 7 days and give yourself 2 weeks! lol.

Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back