• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the "best" section of the Camion del Norte to do/2 w

paulcassiekiger

Time of past OR future Camino
Me and my husband (2014)
My husband and I want to do a section of the Camino del Norte next May (2014), but we only have 2 weeks off work...what is the best section to do in 2 weeks?

Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

I would suggest walking from Santillana to Villaviciosa then transferring to Baamonde and walking to SDC. This would qualify for a Compostela.
Alternatively, just walk from Ribadeo to Santiago.

How many kms would you expect to walk in a day? The Camino del Norte has a number of hilly sections as it goes along the coast and crosses the rias. We averaged 10 - 15kms a day and walked Barreda (9kms before Santillana and accessed by FEVE) to Llanes, just over 90kms in 7 days, which is slow by some peoples standards. We then took the FEVE to continue our walking at a different point, off the Norte, but you could go west of Gijon to Ribadeo etc.......

The gronze site has elevations etc which might help you decide
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-del-norte.htm
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Luarca is about 250 km from Santiago, it has good transport connections and is a memorable place to start. From here albergues are regularly spaced, there is 2 or 3 days along the coastal plains of Asturias, and from Ribadeo you have gentle and largely tranquil days of going into the Northern Galician Interior, it is not the most visually stunning section in comparison to some other parts, but for being able to relax and just allow the yellow arrows to guide you without complication then it is the best section of the Norte(or was in 2010).

Good luck.

Hi there,

My tuppence worth would be to start from the beginning, in Irun, and walk as far as Santander, or past it, it depends on how many km you are going to get in each day. Since the terrain is quite hilly in places, it is difficult to estimate how much you will walk from day to day, but then again that is the beauty of it!!

I recommend this as I think the scenery is absolutely stunning because you are right beside the sea and walk along the coast!

Buen camino!

My son and I had 10 days available to walk at the beginning of this month. We flew into Oviedo and started our walk from al Caridad (a bus ride away), which gave us just over 220 kms to do. We loved the scenery, which gave us a bit of coast, hills, forest and fields. We finished in SDC and got our compostela, which was a great experience. On the whole the alberques were good and, until we joined with the Frances, we mostly had the trail to ourselves.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back