• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the best way to pay?

belladonna

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting on my 63rd b-day this year. My first Camino!
Thank you, hermanas y hermanos for guiding me on the Camino. Tell me, for ten days (Ponferrada to Santiago) what is the best way to carry cash? how much? credit cards? Wishing all buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, hermanas y hermanos for guiding me on the Camino. Tell me, for ten days (Ponferrada to Santiago) what is the best way to carry cash? how much? credit cards? Wishing all buen camino!
I don't know where you are from, but I use a Charles Schwab account that refunds me all ATM fees, so that is what I use for travel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carry about 300 Euro in small bils.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Same for some ticket dispensers in France. I tried to buy the "Air France cars" ticket for the transportation from Charles de Gaulle to Montparnasse with two different credit cards, to no avail. But I discovered that you can pay in cash, directly to the driver.
As for the ATMs, check if the icons in your credit card (the "Master Card", "Visa" or "Cirrus") appear in those machines.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You'll need cash, Belladonna, only bigger hotels will take credit cards. I usually carry about 300 Euro and top up at ATMs.
Thank you, dear Walli Walker! Is it safe for a woman traveling alone (of course, surrounded by many pilgrims)? Any concerns?

Also make sure to inform your bank that you are traveling abroad, take two credit/debit cards and make sure that they work with a 4 digit pin as European ATMs require them. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you, SYates, this is great information. Have you found the Camino to be safe, or were you ever worried about banditos :) ?

Also make sure to inform your bank that you are traveling abroad, take two credit/debit cards and make sure that they work with a 4 digit pin as European ATMs require them. Buen Camino, SY
I inquired with my Canadian bank (Bank of Nova Scotia) and they said I can only have one bank card per account. How do you get a second without opening a second account?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, dear Walli Walker! Is it safe for a woman traveling alone (of course, surrounded by many pilgrims)? Any concerns?

The Camino Frances is safe for a woman traveling alone, whether or not your are surrounded by many pilgrims. In fact, I don't think I was ever 'surrounded by many pilgrims' while actually walking. It is safe.

I inquired with my Canadian bank (Bank of Nova Scotia) and they said I can only have one bank card per account. How do you get a second without opening a second account?
PIER=GIORGIO BASSI,
I am also Canadian and used my Presidents Choice bank card for cash on the camino last year. You will probably also have a credit card, which can be used for certain purposes, eg. booking and paying for hotels if you want to stay in some in cities. It can also be your backup, for cash withdrawals if your debit card is lost or eaten by a bank machine in a situation where you cannot get it back. Try to always use your debit card at a bank when it is open, so you can retrieve your card if the machine rejects the card but does not return it. I also had a Royal Bank debit card, which I planned on using for backup if necessary. However, I would have had to transfer money from my other account and this function would not work on the app. In the event, I did not have to use a second debit card. I did have one occasion when a bank machine refused to give my money and did not return my card (the very first time I used it). I was there during opening hours, so I asked a bank employee, who retrieved the card for me and I used it successfully at another bank. Large banks, like Santander, have many branches and were reliable for my needs. You might consider keeping a backup cash reserve of 100 euros or so in a separate location and being sure to withdraw more before your regular stash runs out.

Don't know if this applies in Canada but here in the UK you can buy a debit card for Mastercard or Visa, load it with credit and then use it abroad to pay bills or withdraw cash up to the amount you have paid in. Not linked to your main account so the most you can lose if the card is lost or stolen is the amount you pre-paid. Often given by anxious parents to their wandering offspring.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a separate account that I use for traveling, but I also take my main account debit card as a back up.

Thank you, SYates, this is great information. Have you found the Camino to be safe, or were you ever worried about banditos :) ?

Safest place I have ever been to ;-) In my many years and kilometers of traveling, walking on ancient pilgrim roads allover Europe I have never found a safer place. Just use common sense, like you do at home, and you minimize any remaining risk. Buen Camino! SY

Bringing two credit cards is a must, technics always causes a problem somewhere along the line....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use a small credit union in Ontario and they suggested I take a second debit card with me. That way if they had to cancel my card, or if I lost it, I would have a backup. Three years later I still have two debit cards for my account. Maybe you should ask at your bank again. I know the BNS gives out two debit cards for one account when it is a joint account.

I also had 2 debits cards on my first Camino, from 2 different banks. Now I will be doing the Portuguese Camino in September and I wonder first if it is safe from Lisbon to Porto, because it is less busy and I will be alone, and also are there many ATMs along the way?? Thanks for providing info regarding this??

The point is to have two difference sources (accounts) to draw upon in case one card is damaged or the account is frozen for some reason. You could carry debit cards from two different banks or, what I do, a debit card plus credit card.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The best advice! I called my bank, and I found out that using my credit card saved me any fees (as long as I paid the balance when due) most times we use the debit card fearing higher rates for a cash advance. Got good info about photocopying the back side of the card (there is an international number) thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

A different bank. I have two banks; one checking account each.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have 2 credit cards with me and carry 400 euro's cash with me for starters . In the beginning I seem to spend a bit more . Then just go to ATM's in the bigger towns . There are as others mentions , plenty ATM's. Just not in the smaller towns.

Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry always have a stash of emergency cash. It need not be much say 4 × 20 and 2 × 5 euro notes. This stash might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'. As always it helps to be prepared!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Other tips we were given:-
Try to use ATMs inside the bank and when the bank is open. Any problem, then help is at hand.
If a 'hole in the wall' choose one that you can see folk are getting cash from OK.
Watch the keypad, some are 'upside down' to our normal expectations.
Use Mastercard's website to check for ATM locations along the route. This works well and sometimes it is surprising where does/does not have an ATM.

We usually take a Mastercard cash card which is therefore apart from our account and a credit card. The cash card is already in euros and the cheapest way to pay for it is to pay with cash - no debit/credit card % load charge. We choose multiples of 200/250€ plus a minimum of the fee of 5€ per withdrawal. The fee is for the 2€ card fee per withdrawal plus a contingency for the machine itself charging.

The best advice! I called my bank, and I found out that using my credit card saved me any fees (as long as I paid the balance when due) most times we use the debit card fearing higher rates for a cash advance. Got good info about photocopying the back side of the card (there is an international number) thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)
That's interesting. I have never heard of a CC that doesn't at least start charging interest from the day you take the cash advance, even if they don't charge a cash advance fee.

I use a small credit union in Ontario and they suggested I take a second debit card with me. That way if they had to cancel my card, or if I lost it, I would have a backup. Three years later I still have two debit cards for my account. Maybe you should ask at your bank again. I know the BNS gives out two debit cards for one account when it is a joint account.
My wife does have the second bank card on the account but they told me that I could not use it (and then, off the record, suggest I do that).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also had 2 debits cards on my first Camino, from 2 different banks. Now I will be doing the Portuguese Camino in September and I wonder first if it is safe from Lisbon to Porto, because it is less busy and I will be alone, and also are there many ATMs along the way?? Thanks for providing info regarding this??

We walked from Lisbon last summer. Things I remember: there are a larger number of 20 mile days (30km) than on the Frances.
Almost all of the water fountains are labeled as non-potable. The few potable ones we noticed were not usable to refill our water bottles.
ATM withdrawals appeared to be capped at E200 until we crossed the border into Spain--then it was possible to withdraw E300.
You need to keep your wits about you so you won't miss your chances to get food--if you follow the trail blindly it doesn't go by nearly the number of food places that the Frances does. Keep an eye open for turn-offs that lead into town, one day I didn't have anything to eat but one hard boiled egg for most of the day. And the folks don't open their bars until at least the same time as Spain and sometimes later. We saw a McDonalds along the coastal route north of Porto that wasn't going to be open AT ALL until 1100. The big meal of the day is lunch, around 14oo. Prato do dia is a good solid working man's meal and they serve it in the lunch time zone. The Francicena (spelling?) sandwich is a huge amount of food, you can walk a long time on it. I couldn't even finish mine: multiple meat layers, multiple bread layers, cheese, gravy, egg on top and it was garnished with an olive to boot. Yum.
Tomato juice can be hard to come by. (We love having a cold glass of tomato juice when we're hot and sweaty from exercise or yard work. The salt in it is wonderful.)
Iced tea is a completely unheard-of concept, except at those bars that have canned Nestea.
Mineral water has both salt and calcium in it--and the default water in water bottles is almost always mineral water. It seems to fend off cramps.
I never had the feeling that we were in creepy neighborhoods--you do need to remember your city behavior rules when in cities of course--but there was a fair amount of the two of us walking alone.
Some scary dogs--take your hiking poles.
The Portuguese people are some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet. Just sing out "bom dia" as you pass them in villages.
And men say thank you with a different word than women do. The guide books only have the male form. Female form is obrigada. I suspect a third-person grammar thing is going on here like "this man/woman is obliged to you."
HTH. Bom caminho.

Thank you so much Texas Walker, you have provided me with some real good information. I have been reading a lot on it and I think I will make sure to alays have something to munch on and I will also bring some power bars. I have also made my schedule tentatively to around 20 -23 km per day, and it's working out. I also plan to visit Fatima and Braga, both by bus, so it will sort of be 2 rest days... Bought new hkkng boots today, trying them out.. Thanks again Danielle!
Buom Camino!

I have 2 credit cards with me and carry 400 euro's cash with me for starters . In the beginning I seem to spend a bit more . Then just go to ATM's in the bigger towns . There are as others mentions , plenty ATM's. Just not in the smaller towns.
Thank you. I wanted to share some good advice from this forum... to use ATMs INSIDE the banks rather than OUTSIDE, whenever possible, in case the machine eats your card, or there is a problem. You can get someone to recover your card right away. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be aware if you are from Canada that most credit cards charge a foreign exchange fee... Can be 2%. American credit card companies do not. The one Canadian card that I know of that does not charge foreign exchange fees is Amazon.ca visa issued by Chase.

Thanks ehh@telus, I will be checking with my bank tomorrow, good info!

make sure that they work with a 4 digit pin as European ATMs require them.
Uh-oh. I thought European ATMs required 5 digit PINs. Do I need to change back to 4?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
make sure that they work with a 4 digit pin as European ATMs require them.
Uh-oh. I thought European ATMs required 5 digit PINs. Do I need to change back to 4?

European ATM's use 4 digit pins.

Ask your bank if your card will work in Europe's banks.

Make sure to tell them when you are traveling.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are they Credit Agricole ATMs on the Camino ? Thank you.

The ATMs belong to financial companies, not to the banks. Once in Spain you can find 4B, Telebanco, Euro 6000 and Servired, mostly. Check out your cards to see with which one they work. Or ask to your bank.

On the other hand, i see you guys carry a big amount of money. Is it due to save fees? I think is much safer carrying small amounts, no more than 100€.

Fees are part of it, but there are also long stretches where it is unlikely that you find an ATM. 100 Euro doesn't last longer then 3-4 days for the average pilgrim and I would find it too stressful to wait until I have close to no money left and then hope to find an ATM. I take normally 300 Euro out and stock up as soon as my cash drops below the 100 Euro mark. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lol, I only carry the money that I need for the day in my wallet (not pocket!) the rest is safely hidden away. SY

The ATMs belong to financial companies, not to the banks. Once in Spain you can find 4B, Telebanco, Euro 6000 and Servired, mostly. Check out your cards to see with which one they work. Or ask to your bank.

On the other hand, i see you guys carry a big amount of money. Is it due to save fees? I think is much safer carrying small amounts, no more than 100€.
Cheers

I am in the 300 Euro camp, with my money in different places (I'll never tell :)) except what I expect to spend that day.

I want to caution about the comment I read that mentioned copying the back of one's credit card for the contact info. Yes, if an actual photocopy (but better still, just write it down, or enter the phone number in your phone like any other). If you copy it as a photo in your phone, it contains your three digit security code. If your phone is like mine, it stores your credit card info if you've used your phone to order/pay for things (minus the three digit security code). If you lose your phone, it could be an additional problem, equal to losing your card.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back