• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the European Peace Walk ?

The European Peace Walk (EPW) is a massive initiative to create a new Camino in Central Europe, joining Vienna to the Mediterranean Sea at Trieste, Italy. http://www.peacewalk.eu/

A "Symbol of our Progress”, the EPW will be a lasting social platform in Central Europe for all peoples to meet and share in our perpetual peace, whilst celebrating our rich shared histories, the disappearance of our borders and the bright inter-connected futures that we have together.

PeaceWalkers walk through Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. The walkers cross many borders as they pass through the hidden landscapes and beautiful towns of Central Europe. There is no agenda, no activism, no goal ........ just a Camino style adventure, and an incredibly cheap one ! :)

In brief, the EPW is:
1. Trans-national-- 6 countries, 6 languages, 6 cultures, 6 foods etc...
2. The Route meanders through where Teutonic/Slavic/Romantic cultures have met for centuries
3. The Landscapes are rich, diverse and spectacular
4. It finishes on the warm Mediterranean Sea !
5. The EPW connects Vienna & Venice - which are 2 epicenters of Tourism - thus, very easy to get planes, buses & trains to.
6. Geo-politically - the EPW is in the center of the New border-less Europe.
7. The Hostels/Food/Drink are all top quality and very, very cheap !!!
( i.e. 10 euros in Hungary goes a LOT further than 10euros in Spain or France,etc...)

Be the Change you want to see in the world ! Be a PeaceWalker !
14911_10204492349455148_9220406245285363436_n.jpg 996151_10154556546690711_4387562684464334300_n.jpg 1471793_10204774284146425_3875009687852579357_n.jpg 10355906_10152384155372486_5314229721005785727_n.jpg 10430480_10204575523974459_382603433898993757_n.jpg 10552571_10204249546617301_3627670374985657521_n.jpg 10430480_10204575523974459_382603433898993757_n.jpg 10562941_10102547123151614_827274433053730792_n.jpg 10569007_10102543809102994_9192899768300667499_n.jpg 10585726_10152285275448671_1682990944_n.jpg 10613107_10205432981850312_225021505149167674_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do you need a sleeping pad and / bag for this walk? SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! Yes, a silk liner, or even a fleece one, sounds good to me! I am so tempted to go! SY

Is the route based on a traditional pilgrimage? If not, what is it based on?
Hi. The EPW was launched 100 years, after the outbreak of WWI to celebrate that despite all our difference in Europe ( and beyond) we have worked together to achieve peace and stability. NB: It took just 6 weeks, from the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand for the WHOLE of the continent to go to war. Now, we can walk together to share and enjoy in our differences..........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was wondering about the terrain used? Is The EPW is walked mainly on road or country and over land. We walked the Camino 2 years ago and most walk was through the country beautiful land scape and bypassing main busy road.
Also coming from Australia I usually book return flight. My query is as there will be only 20 people leaving per day, Can I specify which day to leave or is it on a first in first out? Hope this makes sense :) Which 20 will be on the day!

I was wondering about the terrain used? Is The EPW is walked mainly on road or country and over land. We walked the Camino 2 years ago and most walk was through the country beautiful land scape and bypassing main busy road.
Also coming from Australia I usually book return flight. My query is as there will be only 20 people leaving per day, Can I specify which day to leave or is it on a first in first out? Hope this makes sense :) Which 20 will be on the day!

Hi.
On the EPW we try to keep the Route off asphalt, as much as possible. So there are bike paths, dusty gravel roads, nature paths, cross country and yes, the dreaded small road, i.e. asphalt. But alas, there is asphalt.
Regarding starting........ you choose the day that suits you best to leave Vienna. Everyday, new small groups will leave Vienna and start their journey towards Trieste. Thus, yes, you can specify which day you want to leave.

Hi.
On the EPW we try to keep the Route off asphalt, as much as possible. So there are bike paths, dusty gravel roads, nature paths, cross country and yes, the dreaded small road, i.e. asphalt. But alas, there is asphalt.
Regarding starting........ you choose the day that suits you best to leave Vienna. Everyday, new small groups will leave Vienna and start their journey towards Trieste. Thus, yes, you can specify which day you want to leave but there are a limited number of spaces available each day so the sooner you register, the better chance you have of getting the day you want to start.

I amended your answer a bit for clarity after making an assumption. If what I changed it to was wrong, I apologize for any confusion caused (and for butting in).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I assume the EPW organization arranges for lodging, evening meal, and breakfast (apart from Vienna, Bratislava, and Trieste). What are the arrangements for lunch? And how would the walker's kit differ from a "standard" Camino kit? (I do realize there is no such thing as a true "standard" but you get my thought.) What is the availability of first aid or pharmacy? What is the availability of health care if needed?

Hi. The EPW organizes the Route, which includes making sure that the Accoms have beds and there are evening food options near by. Lunch, you pass through towns along the way with either cafes or shops. And doctors are plentiful in the towns along the Route.
The Kit is pretty much the same as a Camino-Kit... but you will definitely need swimming shorts

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@EPW: I know there are a limited number of walking slots for each start day. For last year, did you find they were all filled (or over-subscribed) by the time of the actual start date? Or do the numbers taper off later in the season? (A chart of numbers by start date would be interesting, if one is available.)

Hi. Yes, last year was a case of over-subscribed and then not arriving on the Day. Thus, a lot of Accoms, who had held beds in good faith, were rather bemused. This is why this year we introduced the small Registration fee....... as a form of commitment.

The hardest part of the EPW: Firstly finding Accoms who are good Value and Walker-friendly, every 20 to 25kms, and are inter-connected by paths and not by busy asphalt roads. And then, asking them to hold beds, for a fluid number of people, during their Peak Season. Then also, to ensure food & drink is available in or near the Accom...... as well as half way between the Accoms ( i.e. lunch / water). All this, trans-nationally, across 6 countries & 6 languages. Aye Curumba.

It ain't easy ......... in fact reading back on this, it is next to impossible....... but it must be done :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would it be an idea to announce which days are fully subscribed to help later bookers plan?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Read somewhere that it was difficult to find the way on last years EPW. Will the route be marked better this year so that you can follow the signs like the camino, or do you need GPS or online maps to find your way? Since I don't use GPS or online maps this is important for me to know.

ranthr, I emailed them some time ago about GPS tracks fot this walk to put in the resource section but I haven't got a reply yet. I will keep you updated.

Hi Ranther/Wayfarer. Apologies, we did not get your email about GPS. Anyway to answer the above. GPS ; no. Last year we asked the Walkers...... and 90% of the Walkers wanted signs , over GPS co-ordinates. So we went with Signs. Last year, we put 1400 signs , as well as X hundred sprayed arrows. :) Hopefully this year, navigation of the EPW will be easier for all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi.
Regarding starting........ you choose the day that suits you best to leave Vienna. Everyday, new small groups will leave Vienna and start their journey towards Trieste. Thus, yes, you can specify which day you want to leave.
Thank you for your response. We are hoping to do the walk next year meantime we will do some training :)

I've registered to start on the 27th, booked my flights, now to get in training and break in my boots... As I type this the rain and snow are going sideways past my window, this walk has really given me something to look forward to.

Hi, Im quite interested about this walk, hopefully I can join you guy for the next year as I will be busy walk Santiago this year.

Cheers.

Eugene

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back