• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the general age of walkers on the Camino?

LW95

I'm contemplating as to whether to walk the Camino this year at the beginning of July as I have three months between then and when I will begin studying at a university in the UK. One of my biggest worries is how appropriate it is to walk the Camino for somebody of my age.

I'm currently 18 and based on the statistics released by the Pilgrim Office, roughly only a quarter of those who walked the Camino de Santiago in 2012 were under the age of 30. The remaining 70% or so were atleast 30 upon receiving their Compostelas. I can't help but feel like I'd be totally out of place within the albergues and on the walk itself.

I just feel like this would end up being a very solitary and isolated trip for myself which isn't what I wanted it to be. I'm fully aware that large stretches of the Camino will be done almost entirely alone but another attraction of the Camino for me is the opportunity to meet many other pilgrims along the way but i'm struggling to encourage myself that there would be a fair number of pilgrims among my own age group.

Just to note, I have no disrespect for or hatred towards those older walkers on the Camino - more of an admiration for their abilities to walk over 500 miles across Northern Spain. I just feel it would be a lot easier for myself to communicate with those among my own particular age group.

Can anyone persuade me otherwise? I'd be interested to hear of your own experiences of what the overwhelming average age of walkers is on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am 21, will be 22 when I walk. I think it's great being around older people, 30 or 70 years old. They have a different view of their country than someone in their teens/early twenties(when it comes to telling stories it makes them more interesting) They will be able to share more experiences and their stories with you than most 18 year olds would be. I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't be worried about it. You might not have much in common with a 60 year old or even a 30 year old but I think that's part of the journey, to understand one another, appreciate our differences, and to share this one magical experience with people all over the world of all ages of all backgrounds of all classes. :) I think it's good to feel out of place once in a while.

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

Another 18 year old might make you feel out of place anyway. It's experience and values that give us common grounds with others rather than the age.

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unless things have changed in the past 8 years, the two largest groups are those of the age to be University students (up to and including about doctoral level) ; and the retired.

The proportion of Spaniards in the younger group is much higher than in the older.

I'm generally 60 this year, I wasn't last year when I walked the Camino and I don't expect to be again. In my head, grizzled though it is, I'm still somewhere between 8 & 28. Everything I encounter is still amazing or confusing or disappointing or scary. Every morning is a bright new adventure and every yesterday is a mélange of joy and regret. I may not be able to sprint up a mountain like I could but I have learnt that an opportunity missed is an opportunity missed.

LW95 if I was you and 18 again, I would set out tomorrow - I would regard anyone over, say, 30 with profound suspicion and the crazed wrinklies almost with fear. But I would learn. And that is perhaps the most beautiful thing that the Camino can do for any of us.

You are very unlikely to be alone on the Camino unless you choose to be.

On our Camino in the Autumn of 2011, we met up with a fantastic group of younger walkers. ( I was 69 that year and Adriaan 73). Most were Italian, but there was Alison from England, Jessica from the U.s. and Caroline from Germany. Caroline was just 18 and, as far as I know, started the Camino by herself. She was a pleasure to be with. This group of 8 basically ranged from 18 to 40, the prominent age being around the late 20's. here was us two, grandparents, who were completely taken into to their group. Alison and Jess saw us first in Larrosaña. We all arrived in Santiago on the same day.we very much enjoyed their company and I think they enjoyed ours. Alison, by the way, has just visited us here in Costa Rica! They were an extremely open minded group of "youngsters" and we conversed easily between us in either Italian, Spanish and English. Just go for it and you will be surmised how boundaries are broken down on he Camino! Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took my Caminos when I was generally (as tincatinker wrote :D ) 39 and 41. So I guess was just in between the major two groups of pilgrims defined by their age. And I had such a nice time all the time with most of them although I'm kind of a lone wolf.

Just go for it and you'll never forget it!

You already have an answer to your question--
based on the statistics released by the Pilgrim Office, roughly only a quarter of those who walked the Camino de Santiago in 2012 were under the age of 30.
If camaraderie with people your own age is very important to you, stick around them once you find people your age. I just came back and saw a group of 5 in their early teens walking for days together; they were from Spain, Italy, Southern England, China, and Ireland. Quite a motley crew, but it seems they were having a good time. I did noticed they were very open to converse with everybody, which was cool. July & August are the months with the younger demographics so you should be OK.

Both our daughters walked the Camino (separately) in their early 20s and had a blast. They met and walked with heaps of young people. One daughter formed a romantic relationship with an American college student that lasted for many years. They also enjoyed interacting with older folk on an equal basis - quite different to their relationships with parents or friends of parents.
Not being prejudiced and being courageous are great characteristics for enjoying the Camino. So go, enjoy yourself!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello.

Please do not worry about what is "appropriate" in age. When sharing wine, pasta, chocolate, plaster, information, tears, laughter...it's not the age but the kindness which makes the memories.

You should walk with free spirit and open heart. The Camino will provide what you need and take away what you want.

We may not persuade you otherwise, but we can support you in your journey.

I hope you walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
""""Just to note, I have no disrespect for or hatred towards those older walkers on the Camino - more of an admiration for their abilities to walk over 500 miles across Northern Spain""""

LWB - that comment is very cuute :)

I am 57 - and going this year- alhtough 57 I actually FEEL 24 yrs- I try not to look in mirrors - hahaha and try not to remember my eldest daughter has just turned 27 yrs. Do NOT underestimate OUR abilities- as we get older we realize we are MORE capable of greater ability than we had ever realized :) :p :lol:

BUT that aside - age has nothing to do with FIGURES- I am very bad at math anyway- so that actually works in MY favour.

Life is Life !!! it does NOT matter who you meet along the The Way - you were meant to meet. !

Good Luck and Enjoy the Journey- alll of Life is about the Journey :)

Annie

Tincatinker !!! """I'm still somewhere between 8 & 28. Everything I encounter is still amazing or confusing or disappointing or scary. Every morning is a bright new adventure and every yesterday is a mélange of joy and regret. I may not be able to sprint up a mountain like I could but I have learnt that an opportunity missed is an opportunity missed."

AWESOME comment AND I am totally in agreeance with you :)

Cheers
Annie

well, 3 options really

you could decide to not go and go somewhere you consider more age appropriate

you could make due with the 25% under 30 as friends

you could take the opportunity and learn something new about the old people of the world which would give you 100% friend opportunity

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
LW95 said:
... at the beginning of July ... One of my biggest worries is how appropriate it is to walk the Camino for somebody of my age.

I'm currently 18 and based on the statistics released by the Pilgrim Office, roughly only a quarter of those who walked the Camino de Santiago in 2012 were under the age of 30. The remaining 70% or so were atleast 30 upon receiving their Compostelas. I can't help but feel like I'd be totally out of place within the albergues and on the walk itself. ...

Bear in mind that this is a yearly average, the percentage of young people is higher in summer (school / university holidays / vacations) as, for example in winter. So, no worries, you will meet plenty of people your age. Buen Camino! SY

I've travelled at age 18 and up to my (ripe old) age of 31 (I'll be 32 by the time I get to the Camino!) I've never found age to be that important. You meet people of all ages and each is a new experience which age has very little bearing on. If your personalities click then you're set.

I'll also be travelling with my 15 yr old niece and my 60 yr old mum, so we should cover a few options.

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. Still not entirely convinced about how i'll end up getting on in terms of social interaction but if I don't do the Camino now I may end up regretting it for many, many years so I don't think i'll let this hold me back. Sorry if this is at all offensive or prejudiced against any of you, it wasn't intended.

Hopefully i'll be setting off at some time in July of this year so maybe i'll see some of you out there! Buen Caminos. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
LW95 said:
Hopefully i'll be setting off at some time in July of this year so maybe i'll see some of you out there! Buen Caminos. :)

Yay! I think you're right about regretting later if you don't.

You'll get along just fine. Your Camino awaits!

Our kids are also starting the Camino in the beginning of July. Their ages are 22, 20, and 15. They are very excited about the walk itself but also all the people from Spain and around the world that they will meet.

Last September,a smack group of 60 plus walkers set off from Oporto to S de C.
En route we meet several younger ( in some cases, much younger) Pilgims.
Wherever we met up, we had great conversations, be it on the Way or in the bar.
Also they were predominantly European, rather than British.
If ge is a concern( no pun intended) , then stick to July-August, but at times it
Will be a little like a motorway!
We are setting off from Lisbon on June 10 th, long an unmarked, coastal path to Oporto;
We think we shall be blessed if we meet any other pilgrims!
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind. - Jackie ...
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 26146.html
"Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind." -

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back