• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the importance of walking to Finisterre and Muxia?

ydan

Time of past OR future Camino
March, April or May 2015
Hello.

I am now in Palas de Rei and it means in three days I will be in Santiago.

I have enough time and maybe I can walk another extra five days.

What is the importance of walking to Finisterre to the Camino de Santiago?
What about the walk to Muxia?

Is the route to Finisterre and Muxia also well-marked?

I don't want to buy another guide for this 5 day trip but if any of you have already done these two extra routes, in which towns should I stop for the day considering that I will walk 25km a day?

Thank you :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Falcon 269 is right.
What's the point of walking the camino, have you found out yet?

In ancient times people walked to Finisterre.
Then Santiago popped up.
Often people say they walk on, but don't!
Often people find the cathedral not the ultimate end (fulfilment) of their camino.
Finisterre is 'end of the world' right?
The Way promoted Muxia.
It's well marked to Finisterre, it's a nice camino.
SdC has it's rituals, you'll find out.
Finisterre also has it's own rituals.
And finally you have your rituals, look inside, you'll probably know what to do...

See Gronze.com and others for maps..

Most people do the walk to Finisterre as either 3 days or 4 days. It's a little under 90km. The breaks are typically one of the following:

Negreira
Olveiroa
Fisterra / Lighthouse

or:

Negreira
Santa Marina
Cee
Fisterra / Lighthouse

If you opt not to walk there from Santiago, you can also take a bus to Fisterra and then walk to the lighthouse. I found it a nice walk and was glad I did it.

Did Santiago to Muxia a couple of years ago as a taster for the big walk. I really enjoyed it, by all accounts it's far less busy than the main Camino which I enjoyed but because there is also less choice when it comes to accomodation you also have the pleasure (or curse) of tending to bump into the same people at the end of the day. The sea at Finisterre is freezing but the view of the sunset at the lighthouse is stunning.

The walk onward to Muxia is even less heavily populated, I would guess that on the day in September when I did it I probably passed no more than 20 people which again depending on your taste will either be a good or bad thing.

If you have the time I'd say it was definitely a worthwhile extension. Though beware transport back to Santiago is infrequent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I asked myself that same question when my wife and I did the camino back in 2007.
She decided to walk on the Finisterre while I made Santiago my final destination.

When I walked the camino again in 2011 by myself this time, I decided to walk to Finisterre via Muxia.
Only then I understood why it was important for her back then in 2007, and for me then in 2011, why it was important to walk to the coast.

I guess you will only understand yourself why it is important for you, only if you decide to do it

In my experience, if I have extra time, I have wanted to keep the Camino "love" and adventure going for as long as possible before I returned to my other world. When I could, I have walked both to Muxia, and Finesterre. Trails are well marked. I think you can do both in 4 days. There is a point on the road on a hill near a kind of highway intersection where you choose to head to either Muxia or Fin. From either destination you can head to the other in a day of walking. And from either endpoint you can easily take a bus back to Santiago. I love the experience of the surf pounding the rocks, wetting my skin and within my steps in Muxia, and the lighthouse views of a sunset at the end of the world in Fin. If you have the time, I'd recommend you go.

I haven't done the camino yet, but the fascination for me is going to the place where it was believed that it was the end of the world. (We know now that somewhere in Portugal is the farthest west on the continent- don't remember the name)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I haven't done the camino yet, but the fascination for me is going to the place where it was believed that it was the end of the world. (We know now that somewhere in Portugal is the farthest west on the continent- don't remember the name)
You mean Capo da Roca in southern Portugal :)

Yes, Cabo da Roca is the farthest west but Finisterre / Fisterra has the smart name The same as Cap Finistere (France) and Land's End cape (England).

What is the importance of walking to Finisterre to the Camino de Santiago?
What about the walk to Muxia?

Is the route to Finisterre and Muxia also well-marked?

I don't want to buy another guide for this 5 day trip but if any of you have already done these two extra routes, in which towns should I stop for the day considering that I will walk 25km a day?...

You do not need to buy another guide. The route is well marked.
When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela before walking to Finisterre/Muxia
DO stop at the Galicia Tourist Office/Oficina de Turismo de Galicia in Santiago at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral. They have a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is most helpful.

Over the past 10 years I have ended at the sea 8 times. It is always very special to arrive after many weeks to that 'edge' on a beach overlooking the Atlantic, to stop and ponder what what has passed, to silently give thanks for all that has been and then turn inland to start the journey homeward.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm. I'd say that walking on to Fistera/Muxia can be a bit like an epilogue in a novel - it's not an essential part of the plot, but by taking you a little beyond the main story it can be a good way of reflecting back on all that has gone before and putting it into a useful perspective.
I found my first camino to be a great challenge. Many times early on I struggled to imagine walking all the intervening miles and actually finishing it. But having done it and with the achievement under my belt, I set out for the coast feeling a little bit like a veteran.
It's quite a different feeling walking towards your goal (and concentrating on it) to walking beyond it, and thinking about what you want to take back from it and use once you get home.

Finisterre is definitely a beautiful place to visit, but it's up to you if you want to walk. When we arrived in Santiago we were met by some fellow pilgrims that we'd met earlier in the camino and they had just arrived back from Finisterre. They walked there and bussed back. They told us that there are not many opportunities to stop, the way is not as famously marked as the rest of the camino and there are great distances between towns. We decided that 780+km was enough so we bussed to Finisterre and spent the extra couple of nights there. The caretaker of Hostel Arasolis, Carlos, is a wonderful, positive individual and if you aren't sick of communal living yet I would recommend staying there. He had no problem with us extending our visit more than one night. He even tracked down a friend in the community on a Sunday when the shops were closed so that we could buy a bottle of champagne.Spain 849.JPG There are some high-class accommodations right on the water front as well, but I would bet you need to reserve.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I actually changed my mind at the last minute. I walked first to Finisterre. I will walk to Muxia tomorrow but I will go first to the lighthouse early morning because it is raining in Finisterre at the moment and visibility is poor!

Where is the starting point for Finisterre-Muxia? :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
...Where is the starting point for Finisterre-Muxia? :)
From the lighthouse walk back to the municipal albergue in Finisterre. Next follow the camino route to Dugium and through Lires which will eventually lead you to Muxia. Be sure to get a stamp as you pass through these places if you wish a certificate when you finally arrive at the Muxia municipal albergue. Finally
sit on the rocks and ponder what you have achieved! Smile, laugh and sing with joy as you hear those famous church bells ring!!

Last edited:
Finisterre :) Sept 6, 2013

Attachments

• DSCN2054.JPG
    DSCN2054.JPG
    773.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2065.JPG
    DSCN2065.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 11
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From the lighthouse walk back to the municipal albergue in Finisterre. Next follow the camino route to Dugium and through Lires which will eventually lead you to Muxia. Be sure to get a stamp as you pass through these places if you wish a certificate when you finally arrive at the Muxia municipal albergue. Finally
sit on the rocks and ponder what you have achieved! Smile, laugh and sing with joy as you hear those famous church bells ring!!
at which point will I see the options od turning to Dugium? Will it be as clear as the option points at the Finisterre/Muxia?

Also, exactly what places are required to get a stamp to get a Muxiana? I already have the Finesterrana so it would be cool to have the Muxiana as well.
I notice both Compostela and Finisterrana are not really strict in issuing certificates. they didn't even ask questions.

ydan - you are almost certainly already on your way this morning, and a hospitalero or pilgrim has probably (hopefully!) explained how to get to the shell markers leading to Muxia, but I write this in case you are getting updates on your device...
Things may have changed in the last couple of years, but in 2011 there wasn't an additional certificate for reaching Muxia that I'm aware of (assuming you got the Costs da Morte one in Finisterre). But the authorities were actively trying to prevent people who travelled by bus from staying at the municipal albergues. To that end they were asking people to provide at least one stamp from around the half-way point between Finisterre and Muxia, for those people that wanted to stay in a municipal albergue. I saw people turned away who didn't have this. You should find a big bar just before the river bridge that is used to providing stamps. And enjoy the bridge - we didn't have such luxury in times past!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Falcon 269 is right.
What's the point of walking the camino, have you found out yet?

In ancient times people walked to Finisterre.
Then Santiago popped up.
Often people say they walk on, but don't!
Often people find the cathedral not the ultimate end (fulfilment) of their camino.
Finisterre is 'end of the world' right?
The Way promoted Muxia.
It's well marked to Finisterre, it's a nice camino.
SdC has it's rituals, you'll find out.
Finisterre also has it's own rituals.
And finally you have your rituals, look inside, you'll probably know what to do...

See Gronze.com and others for maps..
I don't think this is correct. It is my understanding that the "real" point is Muxia, and that Finisterre got well marketed due to its name. So no to a recent movie promoting it as why it is now on the map. And I have to say, on a Sunday, Finisterre feels like a tourist trap: busload after busload of people arriving, loud and boisterous, ready to buy conge shells from an outdoor shop you would expect to find in the Carribbean.

This being said, on the way up there is a cemetary worth mentioning. Designed by a well know Spanish contemporary architect, it blends into the countryside and each cript faces the ocean. I know where I want to be for eternity. The villagers never took to it, and chose to stay closer to the village, church and cemetary where their parents and grand parents are. I hope this beautiful seafront cemetary stays open.

Click here and see some beautiful pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=fini...e=univ&ei=Fy0wVbGCM4ubyQSBioGoAg&ved=0CBwQsAQ

So, back to Muxia: when you walk to the end of the village you are met with large boulders, it is with with mystical forces, some of them you can move with a finger because of how they are shaped. A history that ties Spain to Britain, to the sea, to the sun and to God. Also a story of a people who came together, and brought people from all over the world to help it clean up a beach after a tanker went aground. Magic, pure Magic. Just a few restaurants lining the port, but A de Lolo, with the owner's mother cooking but offer a modern twist on Spanish cuisine, and super fresh percebes at an excellent price on the "stripet".

Finisterra may be prettier, but the Magical experience in Muxia .... you will never forget.

I don't think this is correct.....

Well, i don't think someone can determine what place on a camino has more 'magic'! Your magic is yours. Let others have theirs.
Muxia has the legend of Nosa Senora da Barca, our lady of the boat.
Finisterre has the older, pre christian, roots at the end of the world. As Goethe says: with the world of things and the world of spirits equally.

Think Finisterre is slowly becoming an alternative ending for many people walking the camino.
But Muxia is fine too ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I ended my Camino in Finisterre.

When I got to Cabo Finisterre, it was just magic. It was so beautiful there I decided this was how I wanted to end my Camino.

Maybe, just maybe next time I will just walk to Muxia from Santiago. I just can't do both.

I just listened to what my mind was telling me at that time. I had to end my Camino in Finisterre:)

Well, i don't think someone can determine what place on a camino has more 'magic'! Your magic is yours. Let others have theirs.
Muxia has the legend of Nosa Senora da Barca, our lady of the boat.
Finisterre has the older, pre christian, roots at the end of the world. As Goethe says: with the world of things and the world of spirits equally.

Think Finisterre is slowly becoming an alternative ending for many people walking the camino.
But Muxia is fine too ;-)
It's not about the magic I disagreed with but about Fisterre being the "original" camino.

It's not about the magic I disagreed with but about Fisterre being the "original" camino.
Ok. I had idea that the 'little camino' officially isn't a camino. That Muxia was a pilgrimage destination in it's own right, but Finisterre an older path travelled before SdC came up. I didn't say Finisterre was the 'original' camino. The original question was more about going on to Finisterre and/or Muxia and that's what my reply was about. Sorry for our misunderstandings;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok. I had idea that the 'little camino' officially isn't a camino. That Muxia was a pilgrimage destination in it's own right, but Finisterre an older path travelled before SdC came up. I didn't say Finisterre was the 'original' camino. The original question was more about going on to Finisterre and/or Muxia and that's what my reply was about. Sorry for our misunderstandings;-)
Pilgrimpaul, after I responded to your first post I emailed the person in Spain who told be about Muxia being the most historically accurate part of the Camino. When I hear back I will let you know what he shares with me. My memory may be off, but I remember walking to go to Fisterre and changing my mind after hearing what he had to say. Suspens for now ;0)

Hmmm. I'd say that walking on to Fistera/Muxia can be a bit like an epilogue in a novel - it's not an essential part of the plot, but by taking you a little beyond the main story it can be a good way of reflecting back on all that has gone before and putting it into a useful perspective.
I found my first camino to be a great challenge. Many times early on I struggled to imagine walking all the intervening miles and actually finishing it. But having done it and with the achievement under my belt, I set out for the coast feeling a little bit like a veteran.
It's quite a different feeling walking towards your goal (and concentrating on it) to walking beyond it, and thinking about what you want to take back from it and use once you get home.
Excellent commentary, Tom...my feelings exactly. For me, my Camino was a pilgrimage to Santiago. Therefore, our visit to Finisterre (by bus from Santiago) might be considered more of a tourist event rather than an extension of our Camino. Nevertheless, the time spent in Finisterre, and especially watching the sun set out beyond the end of the world, was a fitting finale for the entire Camino experience as well as time of reflection and mental preparation for the transition back into the "normal" world.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back