• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the meaning of the piles of Stones along the Camino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stone Piles

Every continent has its own history of stone piles.
In South America they were symbolic offerings left at huacas.
In Spain they were called milladoiros, and were placed there by pilgrims to show the route for those following. This practise was thought to have originated with a pagan rite to invoke the protection of pagan spirits who protected travellers.
Similarly, in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, the cairns (izivivane) are thought to be a Khoi custom, followed by the Xhosa, to place a stone on the cairn as a prayer for a safe journey.
In the Umfolozi Game Reserve in Zululand, there is a huge cairn that has been there since the stone age.
There is a tradition on the camino to bring a stone from home and rub all your fears, hurts and sorrows into the stone which you can place at the base of the Cruz de Ferro.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rock Cairns

Along significant sections of the Continental Divide Trail on top of the Rocky mountains, USA, rock cairns provide the only occasional markings designating the route. In some places I saw that some of these rock cairns had been established more than a century or so earlier to designate the route for cattle drives.

Perhaps piling up rocks as a manner to show others the way is something peculiar to us as a species. It is certainly quite convenient in places where the rocks are abundant. I remember a few places along the Camino where there were hundreds of these little piles of rocks, obviously made by other pilgrims who had gone before me, and I added a few stones to some of the piles and straightened up some that had toppled over.

are you talking about piles of stones at the side of the roads or piles of stones at the side of the fields? In stony terrain, farmers pick up stones in the fields and move them to the edge of the fields (a Sisyphean task, as there'll be a new crop next year). Not every pile of stones is a milladoiro!

Stone Piles

My post referred to milladoiros on the sides of paths/tracks/trails usually in mountainous places.
I think most people would realise that a pile of rocks placed haphazardly on the side of a field is obviously not the same thing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Peter Robins said:
are you talking about piles of stones at the side of the roads or piles of stones at the side of the fields? In stony terrain, farmers pick up stones in the fields and move them to the edge of the fields (a Sisyphean task, as there'll be a new crop next year). Not every pile of stones is a milladoiro!

Making walls around a field for cultivation was a more convenient place to put those cursed rocks. Later, those same walls would come to delineate property boundaries. But rock cairns which marked The Way, were entirely different piles-and those rocks weren't quite so cursed.

I was reminded of this when in the Pilgrimage Museum in Santiago - in their booklet they describe this practice almost exactly as Sil does in her posting - a practise of pagan origin whereby pilgrims would simply toss a stone on the pile.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.