• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the most unusual thing you have seen on any Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
dunno...

...sorry cannot recall, nor look up the location of this other than it was in some remote village...looking more closely, you'll see a dead rat left on top of the ?books pedestal...creepy and disturbing.
I'm leaning toward this being some sort of relic of a saint...maybe his spine? No idea who. I am, however certain, that I do not want to be displayed like this after I pass !IMG_0571.JPG

Last edited:
OK I don't have any pictures of what I saw and I was always wanted to ask the forum members but I didn't know how to ask (because of the nature of the question) , but since this question is being asked about unusual things seen, made me think about it so here it is: In 2017 we walked the Camino Sanabres and around day 3 (I think) we passed by an industrial park and then it went to a wooded area. My sister has an over active bladder and wanted to pee and we looked down and saw about 30 to 40 condoms all scattered about. Also earlier in the day we were walking and my mother in law was waiting for us leaning on a large pole when some car stopped and got out and started talking to her and since she doesn't speak spanish she has no idea what the guy was asking her. The guy left as soon as we appeared. We assumed that he was probably asking her if she was lost, but as soon as we crossed the road we saw lots of condoms scattered about. Then we all joked and told her that they were trying to pick her up. I thought this was all strange. Anyone else saw this walking the Sanabres?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Early morning in Convento de Santa Clara, Carrión de los Condes. A group of pilgrims waiting for a heavy rain to lessen up a bit...and we were joined by a young lady with full makeup, pretty dress, high heels, and a set of matching suitcases, the type that goes from big to little. A green character with antenna on his head would have seemed less incongruous.
The answer, as I discovered later, is that in this convent besides the pilgrim's albergue, there is a kind of hostal.

Last edited:
Walking the Camino del norte in 2015, spent the night in Bodenaya with David (Awesome) walking down through some small towns, farms, villages, etc. Walked by a farm and saw 2 horses quietly eating away. And then in the corner of an enclosure was a horse- on its back, feet straight up in the air- dead as a doornail. Just like something out of the comics. Nobody apparently had seen it or perhaps waiting for someone to come by with a truck to take it away?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 51393 View attachment 51394
These were COMPLETELY out of context to me.
Actually, even with context they are two of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Medieval and early modern pilgrims would not have found images of St Agatha ‘out of context’ on the Camino. You don’t give the location of these figures, but it would not surprise me if you came across them in the vicinity of Palencia as some of her relics are said to be preserved there, and at Oviedo and Barcelona. Bilbao’s Museo de Bellas Artes possesses a painting by Gaspar de Palencia (c. 1578) of The Martyrdom of St Agatha. You can read the gruesome account of her torture and martyrdom in The Golden Legend.

I have seen stones piled by the side of the road, people carrying all their possessions walking west, yellow arrows pointing the way. I have heard people singing, others wishing ‘happy trails’ and pilgrims praying. I have seen laughing crowds form in restaurants and empty fields and land lots of land under starry, starry nights. I have been an ant travelling to the light for a thousand years.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK I don't have any pictures of what I saw and I was always wanted to ask the forum members but I didn't know how to ask (because of the nature of the question) , but since this question is being asked about unusual things seen, made me think about it so here it is: In 2017 we walked the Camino Sanabres and around day 3 (I think) we passed by an industrial park and then it went to a wooded area. My sister has an over active bladder and wanted to pee and we looked down and saw about 30 to 40 condoms all scattered about. Also earlier in the day we were walking and my mother in law was waiting for us leaning on a large pole when some car stopped and got out and started talking to her and since she doesn't speak spanish she has no idea what the guy was asking her. The guy left as soon as we appeared. We assumed that he was probably asking her if she was lost, but as soon as we crossed the road we saw lots of condoms scattered about. Then we all joked and told her that they were trying to pick her up. I thought this was all strange. Anyone else saw this walking the Sanabres?

Not on the Sanabres, but twice when I was walking the Cami Catalan to Montserrat, I came across a woman sitting on a white plastic chair, at the side of a busy road. Both times there was a wide gravel pull off beyond her. First time I cheerfully said hello, and was surprised by the lack of response and even hostility. Second time, the penny dropped and I realised what she was waiting for. Bet there was a pile of condoms had I gone looking....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leaving a small village fairly early in the morning, passed a bloke standing in his garage ( or some such open fronted room) with shirt and no trousers. He had an erect penis which seemed to have a bunch of balloons tied to it. I didn't stop for a good look, and took no photos. But it was fairly funny, though he may have been disappointed at getting no reaction from me.

Strangest thing? Pilgrims insisting on getting up at 4am to rush out into the dark cold morning for who knows what reason....

Not so strange; I think the 'drive' comes from spending so much time outside that the contrasting Albergue lack of air and crowded sleeping situation (some) propels one out the door at soonest opportunity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was an art installation, either on Francis or Portuguese, in a meseta-like setting, that had a box set up by a fence (to stand on) and a box at eye level rigged with mirrors. Gazing into it one got a more focused look at a building in the distance. Anyone else spot this?

Early one morning in May 2016, just south of Miramont Sensacq on the Puy route, I was walking along a farm track when I was overtaken - by a man on a unicycle. Just managed to get a snap before he disappeared. I caught up with him later. He was a young Frenchman who had unicycled from Paris and was heading for SdC - I hope he got there.Chemin 2016 043.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Early one morning in May 2016, just south of Miramont Sensacq on the Puy route, I was walking along a farm track when I was overtaken - by a man on a unicycle. Just managed to get a snap before he disappeared. I caught up with him later. He was a young Frenchman who had unicycled from Paris and was heading for SdC - I hope he got there.
And I hope that not only did he get to Santiago but also that he was awarded a unique compostela. The regular version appears to recognise the achievement only of those cyclists who arrive by birota.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 51393 View attachment 51394
These were COMPLETELY out of context to me.
Actually, even with context they are two of the strangest things I've ever seen.
I believe she is Saint Agatha or Sant Agata from Sicily, a virgin martyr who refused to give up her vow of chastity to a powerful man, Quintianus, who commanded that she be tortured to death. I believe the year was 251. Today, Saint Agatha is the patron saint of breast cancer! Do you remember when these two sculptures were created?

I don't know which is more disturbing; the gaping chest cavity or his grossly oversized forearm.

Medieval and early modern pilgrims would not have found images of St Agatha ‘out of context’ on the Camino. You don’t give the location of these figures, but it would not surprise me if you came across them in the vicinity of Palencia as some of her relics are said to be preserved there, and at Oviedo and Barcelona. Bilbao’s Museo de Bellas Artes possesses a painting by Gaspar de Palencia (c. 1578) of The Martyrdom of St Agatha. You can read the gruesome account of her torture and martyrdom in The Golden Legend.
I believe she is Saint Agatha or Sant Agata from Sicily, a virgin martyr who refused to give up her vow of chastity to a powerful man, Quintianus, who commanded that she be tortured to death. I believe the year was 251. Today, Saint Agatha is the patron saint of breast cancer! Do you remember when these two sculptures were created?

The sculptures were in the Palacio Episcopal d’Estorga in Astorga, the one designed by Gaudi. On the ground floor they had a sort of museum with all kinds of medieval artifacts (older artifacts in the basement!). I did not take photos of the identification plates because I happened to be walking with two historians (a Christian historian and a medieval historian) and they filled me in. ;) But judging by the other sculptures and my minor art history background, they were from somewhere in the 15th-16th centuries.

So now I'm a fan of Saint Agatha (my mother passed away from complications due to breast cancer; my first Camino was for me, my second will be for her).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, I didn't! Where is it and it's too bad you didn't stick your foot in the picture to get an idea of the "scale" of the mushroom and fairy...1 inch, 1 foot? ☺
I hope this helps. The mushroom caps were probably a foot in diameter. It was taken near Ligonde. Cute huh?

Attachments

• 20180924_100000 MOD.jpg
    20180924_100000 MOD.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 88
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Strangest thing? Pilgrims insisting on getting up at 4am to rush out into the dark cold morning for who knows what reason....
I will agree with you I at that time you could not see the beauty of the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cliffs near Llanes.
One of the unknown navigators.
Cathedral beach, soon to be totally under water.
Not all water created equally.

Attachments

• F866E4F4-3931-4B67-910E-25DCA48479C9.jpeg
    F866E4F4-3931-4B67-910E-25DCA48479C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 927FEC76-84AB-4679-853B-AEB7C3312D01.jpeg
    927FEC76-84AB-4679-853B-AEB7C3312D01.jpeg
    928 KB · Views: 86
  • 60312E66-01E8-46CF-812E-41719DC2D8FB.jpeg
    60312E66-01E8-46CF-812E-41719DC2D8FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 7C20AC46-FA9F-4EA7-B8F7-E7B7079DE789.jpeg
    7C20AC46-FA9F-4EA7-B8F7-E7B7079DE789.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't actually see this, but @SYates and several other pilgrims told me about a pilgrim carrying a cat on a tray that was attached around his neck. Unfortunately, no one had a picture to share.😕

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leaving a small village fairly early in the morning, passed a bloke standing in his garage ( or some such open fronted room) with shirt and no trousers. He had an erect penis which seemed to have a bunch of balloons tied to it. I didn't stop for a good look, and took no photos. But it was fairly funny, though he may have been disappointed at getting no reaction from me.
You can only hope he was waiting for his wife.

Cycling along the Camino del Norte last summer along a paved cycle path early on a Sunday morning two party animals having sex in the standing position I never rang my bell ....

I found one rollerskate in the middle of the Camino road far away from any village. As bizzar this find was as amazing was it’s timing when I found it. I was before cross fero and wondering what I wanted to lay down with a stone. I have lost my stone I brought from home the night before and wanted to find another one when the rollerskate popped up on the way. It was a real Camino moment or the Camino provides moment. Without hesitation I picked it up put it at the outside of my backpack and knew instantly what I have to lay down and change in my life. Slow down in life (I am hyperactive and have a million projects always at the same time and had hardly time for my own children and family). So I carried that heavy skate three more days and lay it down at the cross fero. Neatly to say it worked! The same day I met the slowest pilgrim ever and we stuck together to the end walking doing everything half the speed the others did. When I came home indeed I was able to slow down

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe 'feliz cumpleaños' is the correct response in this situation.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
O
One of my favorite towns on the camino! I had my very first pulpo on the main drag under an umbrella!🐙
When we arrived most everything was closed in the town. Spanish holiday. But later all the restaurants were open. But those hills, those hills ...after walking all day. I almost preferred to starve than walking up and down those hills as I was staying in the municipal at the top as you enter the town by the castle. It’s a nice little town. Really lovely and the people were super nice.

It’s funny the item in the window made me think I was so tired and hungry I could eat my own leg....😂😂😂
I think it is a rendition of a famous art piece

Last edited:
On the Portugues near Esposende. About a 1km stretch of quiet dirt road that seemed to be a graveyard for shoes. Shoes everywhere along the sides of the road, some were deliberately arranged in groups, some dug into the embankment, some squashed on the road. It was the wierdest thing and actually started to feel quite creepy the farther along I walked. Was happy to get off that path!

When my sister and I arrived 2017 in Ambasmestas in the Albergue we thought we were the only pilgrims there, except a young men who worked in the garden for a place to sleep and the meal in the evening.

We chilled a little bit, washed our clothes and went under the shower. After that, we went to the little bar in the Albergue and talked to the russian owners and Jean from France, the gardener.

Suddenly we heard a hair dryer and were a bit confused, because it was very hot, and no one needed a hair dryer. Jean and the owners were smilling and said: " We organized a little surprise for you".

After a few minutes, Maria from Brazil entered the room and it was like Sophia Loren came in - like a performance on a stage. Maria was fully equipped with purple lipstick, lacquered fingernails, completely made-up, with jewelry, earrings and sunglasses on the perfectly hair. The smell that she exuded was incredible. She wore a beautiful dress that was very flattering to her figure and she was aware of her effect on us. Our mouthes rose wide.:eek:

Maria was a very pretty and friendly lawyer from Sao Paulo. She made reservations from home for every Albergue on her way from Leon to Santiago, under the condition to get a room of her own, because a friend told her, it could be very full. It's probably not necessary to mention, that she had a very large suitcase and organized a transport with Taxi for it every day.

We laughed a lot - the underclass meets the goddess of the Camino🥰

The meal was fantastic, Jean was a great musician and we had a lovely evening on the terrace. Only five persons, but the mood was like a big party.

I think, she did a very different kind of Camino, but, who cares......

Neither before nor after have I ever met such a pilgrim on the Camino.

Michael

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@KJFSophie WOW. Thank you so much for posting that picture. I believe @caminoagogo is correct about this being Saint Sebastian. Although I can't find the rat you mentioned, it appears that perhaps the artist is representing The Black Plague of that time (maybe even, that it ate his innards).

It’s funny the item in the window made me think I was so tired and hungry I could eat my own leg....😂😂😂
I think it is a rendition of a famous art piece

Yep, it's a detail from Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch. One of the trippiest paintings I've ever seen-- and I've been to Dali's house! lol

bosch1.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Portugues near Esposende. About a 1km stretch of quiet dirt road that seemed to be a graveyard for shoes. Shoes everywhere along the sides of the road, some were deliberately arranged in groups, some dug into the embankment, some squashed on the road. It was the wierdest thing and actually started to feel quite creepy the farther along I walked. Was happy to get off that path!

View attachment 51882View attachment 51883View attachment 51884View attachment 51885
I leave for Portugal on April 15th. I will watch for this creepy area! Maybe I will need new shoes by then and will have plenty to choose from!

I think the 2 Marias,one is putting the hand out,to see if the other one has to open the umbrella for the rain.

O, that is a great thought instead of thinking of them as begging. I LOVeE those Marias and stop by to say 'hi", each time I am in Santiago :)

€83,-
O, that is a great thought instead of thinking of them as begging. I LOVeE those Marias and stop by to say 'hi", each time I am in Santiago :)
They were 2 sisters,Corali & Maruxa and every day at 2 o'clock the went for a walk in the 50 and sixties.

On the Camino inglés
Coming very late to this party...so @domigee...snap!
I took it in a store window near the main square in Villafranca Del Bierzo the day before my birthday last year
What, @Iriebabel , you didn't get it as a birthay gift to yourself? ;)

Besides that peregrina-eating dinosaur, the most sureal thing I've seen was a bit off the San Olav, when I stumbled across the Sad Hill Cemetary set from The Good the Bad, and the Ugly.P1020367.jpg
(This is not my photo - it's been restored since I was there in 2016, so now looks much more spiffy than it was when I saw it. Then there was just a battered sign and an overgrown field.)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.