• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Is The Most Useful & Usless Item You Packed

Wayne of LaVerne

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 bike, solo & lost, SJPP-Santiago via Napoleon Route
Most Useful: Zip Ties. Rack slipped & pivoted 90 degrees. Zips worked great. Note the blue zip routed around the cable guide, hence keeping the clamp from slipping back.zip tie .jpg
Most Useless: UE Boom Portable Speaker. Never used it. Visions of a party on the road?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most Useful: Zip Ties. Rack slipped & pivoted 90 degrees. Zips worked great. Note the blue zip routed around the cable guide, hence keeping the clamp from slipping back.View attachment 40127
Most Useless: UE Boom Portable Speaker. Never used it. Visions of a party on the road?

I was glad to see your post. I am frantically packing and repacking my backpack. I leave tomorrow from Canada making my journey to SJPdP. I just got up and packed some zip ties! Great idea!

Useless: a knife - bought in SJPdP and I never took it out of the package.

Useful: safety pins - to dry clothing off the back of my pack, to hang up clothes to dry when all the clothespins were being used, to help hold pants up for the lucky people who lose weight on the camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Useful - old pillow case. Your albergue pillow may have seen 100's of drooling, sneezing pilgrims. Also gets used for dirty clothes bag.
Useless - heavy paper or book based guides. There are so many free Camino guides for the phone these days. Or if you must have, scan the paper to pdf.

I have to agree with zip ties as the most useful. Some variations cannot be undone so check carefully when you purchase
Also safety pins for laundry and backpack drying. Multi tool was handy for cutting, gripping and tying first aid, shoes, backpack repairs etc.
Most useless...headlamp. My iphone light was sufficient. And those just in case items that inevitably end up in albergue “take or leave” boxes. Usually clothing.

Wayne, with all that mud it looks like seriously hard going!

Most Useful: 1m of duct tape (Not a camino but I cracked my saddle bolt just after Penzance and tape held everything together for the final part of my JOGLE)

Most Useless: cheap tyre irons that snapped :-(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Most useful: Without a doubt, the most multi-purpose item I took was my mobile phone.
Least useful: Down vest. Left it in an unwanted items box in an albergue in the first week. Don’t regret taking it. Being unused to snow, it was one of the things I packed to make me feel more confident about walking the Pyrenees at the beginning of April.

Most Useful: 1.5" straight blade knife with hard plastic sheath...cut...open...eat...and almost an attacking dog

Most Useless: Emergency weather cover...or...first aid kit...never used...but just in case...about 1-pound weight

Actually Tossed: I left about six-rolls of camping toilet paper on a mileage marker in the Meseta...I just suddenly realized that I would never use it...but I am sure it was found and put to good use.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Useful: safety pins - to dry clothing off the back of my pack, to hang up clothes to dry when all the clothespins were being used, to help hold pants up for the lucky people who lose weight on the camino
Did you not buy food from supermarcados along the way? I found my knife invaluable for cutting bread, fruit and a variety of other things.

Most useful: Zip off pants that could be turned into shorts easily. Hugely valuable when the temps were +2C in Roncesvalles and +22C in the days leading into Santiago.

Most useless: binoculars. Never took them out of my bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Useful: Fiskars tomato knife. For cooking, slicing bread, tamates and cheese, etc., plus for cooking at knife-less albergues. Prevents having to eat too many pilgrim menus, plus saves a great deal of money. 37 gram
Useless: Head lamp. If the albergue is too dark, I can use the light from my phone, which doesn't wake others up. 80 gram, plus any extra batteries.

Useful: Small compass. Pretty damn nifty after missing an arrow or in a fog or at night. <10 gram
Useless: Guide book. Dead weight. About 240 gram

I brought but never used:
* Power pack for my iPhone – I had never trouble finding an outlet for charging.
* Carabiners number 3 and 4 (although number 1 and 2 were frequently used)
* Spork (only ever needed my pocket knife)
* Sunglasses
* Sewing kit

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Useful: jack knife bought in SJPP.
Not Useful: Head lamp (torch)-- never used it.
Actually most of our meals were purchased out of grocery store, meat, cheese, fruits and vegetables so we purchased a small pocket knife for about 3 Euros to cut our food and also for medical tape.

Most Usless - a compartmented box of various vitamins and pills given to me by a nurse friend for which I lost the contents label in somewhere like Burgos, and after which I had no idea which tablet was for what !!.
All went down the WC at this point and I let my body decide what it wanted to do.
Please dont let Ela know she thinks I carried them to the end :)

I’m writing this from the perspective of the biggest surprise useful or useless item.

Useful: Bandana
Useless: Compass
I just remembered another surprise super useful item: safety pins! They were essential for drying socks from the back of my pack between sock changes. I would change socks and reapply vaseline every few hours to keep the blisters at bay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did you not buy food from supermarcados along the way? I found my knife invaluable for cutting bread, fruit and a variety of other things.

I only bought apples, bananas, granola bars and chocolate bars. I ate at the albergues when they had breakfast and then stopped for 2nd breakfast, tea, lunch, tea again, and then ate the pilgrim meal either at the albergue or in a restaurant. On the one or two days where there were less restaurants I bought an already made sandwich that I ate for lunch.

Wow, I used my knife a several times a day! Of course, I'm a huge fan of Spanish cheeses, so I'd buy a wedge and then slice off chunks for snacks. I also used my knife to cut the wonderful Spanish breads and sausages.

I have to agree with you on the safety pins. They were definitely an essential item.

Useful: jack knife bought in SJPP.
Not Useful: Head lamp (torch)-- never used it.
A knife is a must. I decided to bring a little key ring LED light rather than a head lamp. I'm glad I did, although there were a few mornings right before we went off Summer time when it was pretty dark in the morning. I do have a lightweight head lamp that I'm debating bringing next time. We shall see.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most useful item I didn't take but acquired along the way: the Tape That Saved My Shoes!! I'd read many recommendations here on the Forum to take some duct tape or similar - and didn't. Then a couple of days before Burgos I discovered that unnoticed gentle friction had rubbed a hole clean through the lining at the back of both my shoes (Asics running shoes, otherwise super comfortable). My first thought was that the shoes were done for, and I started looking up shoe shop locations in Burgos. Then I thought of duct tape, so after rigging up a temporary "dressing" for the shoes from my first aid kit (also useful!) which got me to Burgos, I went shopping and found some strong tape, similar to duct tape, in one of those "everything" stores. Score!! Fixed it carefully to each shoe, a longish piece starting outside the heel and going up and over and onto the inner sole. I expected to have to change it regularly, even that it might worsen the damage, but it stuck like concrete, never wrinkled, and saw me to the finish line! (Well, as far as Sarria where everything ground to a halt but that's a whooole other story!) So next time I'm taking the tape!

Two champagne corks!
- put one in either damp sock as you change ( as you should) every 1- 2 hours, turned inside out and placed in the elastic hooks on my Osprey Kestrel.
They (socks) will not risk slipping out due to these stoppers.
Can use 2 stones, but they weigh more !!

Last edited:
Most useful: My rubber gloves! :D They weigh practically nothing and protect my hands when hand-washing my hiking gear each day. They're also useful in albergue kitchens of course.
My preferred brand is an English one - Marigolds - they're the Rolls Royce of rubber gloves - 'love them!
Most useless: one of my two new Platypus water containers - it burst before the start of my camino. Note to self: thoroughly test water container before leaving Oz next time!

Useful - old pillow case. Your albergue pillow may have seen 100's of drooling, sneezing pilgrims. Also gets used for dirty clothes bag.
Useless - heavy paper or book based guides. There are so many free Camino guides for the phone these days. Or if you must have, scan the paper to pdf.

AGREE!! I brought my own pillowcase from home and used it over whatever pillow I was given and then folded it up in the morning and put it back in my zip lock bag. It was so comforting when I laid my head down at night.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most useful: Its a tie between the earplugs and a small massage ball for my feet

Most useless- insect repellent for mosquitoes

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Most useful - my Macabi skirt - used as a sarong after the shower - kept me cool, water resistant.. lots of pockets for items you need while walking - oh and safety pins - big ones. AND Leukotape.
Most useless.. the ceremonial spork - but I carry it anyway.

Most useful:
A4 grip lock high density freezer bags. Keeps everything neat in your rucksack. Change of clothes in each one; squeeze all the air out and seal. All your bits stay nice and dry.
Most useless:
Headphones, never used once as I like all the sounds around me.

I was glad to see your post. I am frantically packing and repacking my backpack. I leave tomorrow from Canada making my journey to SJPdP. I just got up and packed some zip ties! Great idea!
Useful: a small packet of lambs wool from drugstore - padded any and everything!
Useless: makeup

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Useful: light bags that separate my clothing, I used them like a drawer, Elastic washing line, sun cream, soap that could wash body and cloths, my Miam Miam dodo and Nok creamto keep your feet hydrated.
Useless: head lamp,ductape,rain pants (you get wet anyway) camelback you never know how much water left in it.
Keep in mind pilgrims will carry their unsecurity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most useful item for me would be any multi-use item and my favorite is one that combines my towel, my bandana, my neck scarf, my neck shield from searing sun, my head band, my head and ear cover from the cold, my buff, and, likely, other uses for which I may have forgotten.

That item would be just a simple large silk scarf. I bought it online from a silk supplier (Dharma) and it came a natural cream color so I dyed it to a more sedate combination of OD green and dark brown. I have used it on my last three or four Caminos and I wouldn't leave home for another without it. After drying my body it hangs on whatever I use for drying my just washed briefs and socks. It's dry in minutes. It's weight is minuscule and it crumples up into almost no space at all.

Most useful item for me would be any multi-use item and my favorite is one that combines my towel, my bandana, my neck scarf, my neck shield from searing sun, my head band, my head and ear cover from the cold, my buff, and, likely, other uses for which I may have forgotten.

That item would be just a simple large silk scarf. I bought it online from a silk supplier (Dharma) and it came a natural cream color so I dyed it to a more sedate combination of OD green and dark brown. I have used it on my last three or four Caminos and I wouldn't leave home for another without it. After drying my body it hangs on whatever I use for drying my just washed briefs and socks. It's dry in minutes. It's weight is minuscule and it crumples up into almost no space at all.

How well did that silk scarf work as a towel? Just wondering... Maybe you are onto something!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Useful?
Me, preparing for my first Camino, I’m wondering what I’ll bring as devotional/ prayer/ musical enrichments... that weigh little and nourish my spirit. On the path, in evening recovery, and pre-sleeps. Printed? Saved on phone or iPod? As well, what format for my journal?

Useful - Multi-tool swiss army type thing
Useless - Needle and thread.

Problem with the mulit-tool was I had to check in my rucksack because of it. Not sure if it was worth the additional cost.

..... little key ring LED light rather than a head lamp. I'm glad I did, although there were a few mornings right before we went off Summer time when it was pretty dark in the morning. I do have a lightweight head lamp that I'm debating bringing next time. We shall see.

Ah - bloody Spanish Summer time - I actually had to wait about 10-15 mins (after I was "thrown" out - most politely by Tom at Rabanal at 8.15 am) until I could actually see the trail or road. I ended up on the road until Foncebadon. I too for-went the head torch and used a small pocket flash light, and I rarely rode before 8.15 am. The small knife I took was also very useful at lunch time - for bread/cheese/fruit etc!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Useful - If I think of what I used everyday - Kathmandu gortex shell rain jacket - good against the rain, cold and wind. Small valuables bag to put your wallet and passport in at night and take to bed rather than leaving them in your bag or losing them in your bed.

Useless - laptop computer - too tired to use it at night and weighed too much during the day.

Most Usless - a compartmented box of various vitamins and pills given to me by a nurse friend for which I lost the contents label in somewhere like Burgos, and after which I had no idea which tablet was for what !!.
All went down the WC at this point and I let my body decide what it wanted to do.
Please dont let Ela know she thinks I carried them to the end :)
Why do you think fishes in the sea needed the medical better than yourself??

Useful - Multi-tool swiss army type thing
Useless - Needle and thread.

Problem with the mulit-tool was I had to check in my rucksack because of it. Not sure if it was worth the additional cost.
A folded knife is not ok. And the blade must not be more than 60 mm.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most useful - bandanna (which can become your towel if you lose yours!)
Least useful - second book with maps and albergues. For Spain Caminos take a John Brierley guide, in France take a MiamMiamDodo (and learn enough French to book a room over the phone)

Useful?
Me, preparing for my first Camino, I’m wondering what I’ll bring as devotional/ prayer/ musical enrichments... that weigh little and nourish my spirit. On the path, in evening recovery, and pre-sleeps. Printed? Saved on phone or iPod? As well, what format for my journal?
Dear Jo Ann, I would suggest you bring noting but a very light and simple journal. The Camino is about nothingness so the more you bring the more you bring (if you get my meaning). Listen to the silence, listen to the sun rise and the darkness. You will hear your own soul and that will speak volumes. Your prayer is the sound of your own feet and the rhythm of each step. Do nothing -- that is the way of the Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most useful - elasticated washing line, used daily

Most useless - first aid kit. Never used it (Now, there's tempting fate.............)

Yes, but you still shouldn't go without it! Never know when it can come in useful :cool:
I should know, I packed the most minimalist first aid kit when walking the Via Francigena last year, ended spending more per day in chemists than I did in accommodation AND meals :D Spain is cheaper fortunately!

I do
Useful?

I downloaded an audio Rosary n my phone...also listened to Podcast homilies from my Church back home.

Made a special music list downoaded from Spotify - one inspirational and energetic (think Mandisa!) and another meditative...Chant.

We kept a blog - used a laptop - but a small diary would work, too.

Our second Camino is Burgos to Sarria starting April 16. Buen Camino!

Useless: smartphone, dropped it on day 3 and broke the screen. Decided to walk the CF without it and therefore without guidebook, gps etc. Great decision, easy enough just to follow the arrows.

Usefull. Quality earplugs, essential to increase the chances of a good nights sleep.

€83,-
Useless: my worries
Useful: my faith

€60,-
Most useful - elasticated washing line, used daily

I accidentally left mine hanging up outside at the municipal albergue in Fromista. If anyone sees it, feel free to claim it as yours with a clear conscience! :D

A very useful item.

I just remembered another surprise super useful item: safety pins! They were essential for drying socks from the back of my pack between sock changes. I would change socks and reapply vaseline every few hours to keep the blisters at bay.
I notice a lot of people mention safety pins. One of our mentors for the trip recommends baby safety pins, the ones with the big plastic tops. those sound ideal for hanging clothes to dry

I notice a lot of people mention safety pins. One of our mentors for the trip recommends baby safety pins, the ones with the big plastic tops. those sound ideal for hanging clothes to dry
Yes, those would be ideal. That’s what I’m bringing next time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I notice a lot of people mention safety pins. One of our mentors for the trip recommends baby safety pins, the ones with the big plastic tops f. those sound ideal for hanging clothes to dry
I used those big diaper pins on my first Camino, and only found them useful on clotheslines that were perfectly straight. On most clotheslines gravity caused all of my clothes to slide down the line. Now I use miniature clothespins (pegs) from the craft store. They are strong enough to hold my lightweight clothing. I still bring some diaper pins to hand clothing from my backpack.

Without a doubt THE most useful item is a simple "s" hook ...over the shower door to hold clothes/towel, over the bunk rail to hold backpack off of wet floor or items that need drying. More substantial than plastic, better than a suction hook...comes on every camino. can be found in hardware stores in different sections ie: shower curtain hooks, pots and pan hooks, tool hooks,,,can also be found on amazon. I bring several and give them away :)

Attachments

• 16681934_10154587824113143_8265141966773469417_n.jpg
    16681934_10154587824113143_8265141966773469417_n.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 5

Most read last week in this forum

Cycling the Del Norte I am attempting a 780km Camino combo starting in Leon on 25 April and a friend from the Netherlands wants to join me and cycle the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago. It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back