• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the name of green vegetable?

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain I saw many gardens with dark green leaf plants they use, I think mainly, for making soup. Someone told me the name once but I forgot. The leaves are large and thick, and the plant is apparently perennial. Does anyone know the name in Spanish?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you mean that stuff that grows in a stalk and they cut off the leaves from the bottom, they call it col. For years I had always called thought they were grelos, but just this year on the way to Finisterre, I saw a woman in her garden and asked her about it.

I wrote this in my findpenguins blog:

As part of my camino education, today I learned that the tall green stalks with leaves sprouting out and which are cut off from the bottom up are not grelos but something called "col," which translates as "cabbage" but is just leaves with no head. Anyway I had always wondered why even the smallest gardens had hundreds of these plants. Today I learned that the tough leaves are for the animals while the tender ones go into making that delicious soup caldo gallego (very similar to Portuguese caldo verde). The woman who explained this all to me told me that after she finished feeding her pigs, she would make some and I was very welcome to stay. Unfortunately I still had 22 km to walk, so I declined. What a tempting invitation though!

There is a picture there if you want to make sure it's the same plant, look at day 47 here: https://findpenguins.com/7wlooua0y7gmt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you mean that stuff that grows in a stalk and they cut off the leaves from the bottom, they call it col. For years I had always called thought they were grelos, but just this year on the way to Finisterre, I saw a woman in her garden and asked her about it.

I wrote this in my findpenguins blog:

As part of my camino education, today I learned that the tall green stalks with leaves sprouting out and which are cut off from the bottom up are not grelos but something called "col," which translates as "cabbage" but is just leaves with no head. Anyway I had always wondered why even the smallest gardens had hundreds of these plants. Today I learned that the tough leaves are for the animals while the tender ones go into making that delicious soup caldo gallego (very similar to Portuguese caldo verde). The woman who explained this all to me told me that after she finished feeding her pigs, she would make some and I was very welcome to stay. Unfortunately I still had 22 km to walk, so I declined. What a tempting invitation though!

There is a picture there if you want to make sure it's the same plant, look at day 47 here: https://findpenguins.com/7wlooua0y7gmt.
Thanks for the info. So the name of the soup is caldo gallego. I like the soup especially on a chilly, damp day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For some reason, though, sometimes the menu describes caldo gallego as having turnip greens. Can anyone explain that?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Collard greens. I bought a packet of seeds when I got back to Australia because they are such amazing plants. Which reminds me, I can plant some now.

Last edited:
This is Berza. It is a member of the family of Kale, Cabbage, Cauliflower etc. Genre "Brassica" There are docens of diferent plants in that family.
The named Grelos are turnip´s leaves and are not "members" of that family. Lacon con grelos!!! Yummy!
Bon appetit.

In Ourense I stayed in the private Albergue El grezol. The Hospitalero told me that this name referred to the name of the plant that is used in Caldo Galega. I think Col is the general name for all kinds of cabbage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Turnip. This time of year especially it is more likely to be turnip tops, very common in northern Spain. In more rural areas you will get a version of old roman Horta, which is basically any wild growing greens that you can find, nettles, dandelion, puha, wild spinach etc. Spain tends to use them in soups but in Greece they wilt them in a frying pan and then mix them with oilve oil and lemon... A bit bitter when you first try them but a great iron boost to fellow vegetarians!

And if you pick the turnip leaves when they're young, they're called "rabizas" according to my parents. Both grelos and rabizas are hard to find in the UK so I've made caldo with brussel sprout tops - cheaper than kale and delicious :)

Wow, I've never heard of so many names given to a single vegetable! And somehow I think all these answers are probably correct. I was curious myself and asked a local who was gardening the same question. Of course I had to have another multilingual pilgrim interpret the answer for me. :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the same problem with fish names. I think there is just no exact translation, since this "col" or "berza" isn't grown in the US. It's just like eating a fish from the Amazon River and expecting to find a good translation into English, problem is we don't have the same fish in our seas so the names are always only loosely accurate.

The people call it col or berza and "dark leafy greens" is probably as close as it gets to a good translation. Though looking at all the options, I bet collard greens is probably the closest in terms of how it looks and how it grows, though I don't think collard greens have such tall stalks. Could be wrong though.

Whatever the name, I am sure they are just as packed with good nutritious elements as all the other greens mentioned. And of all the similar greens mentioned, collards are by far the cheapest in my area.

In the US it's usually called Tronchuda or Portuguese kale;

http://www.rareseeds.com/tronchuda-kale/

I've grown it because I live in FL and it's more heat-resistant than other brassicas, but I can't say I like it much for anything except Caldo Gallego. Quite bitter. Very handsome plant, though.

Turnip. This time of year especially it is more likely to be turnip tops, very common in northern Spain. In more rural areas you will get a version of old roman Horta, which is basically any wild growing greens that you can find, nettles, dandelion, puha, wild spinach etc. Spain tends to use them in soups but in Greece they wilt them in a frying pan and then mix them with oilve oil and lemon... A bit bitter when you first try them but a great iron boost to fellow vegetarians!

Just a warning to fellow vegetarians: the recipe for caldo gallego varies considerably. Sometimes it's made only from vegetables (delicious!), more often it contains cubes or slivers of meat. Cave carnem!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Isn't it wonderful that selective breeding took the basic mustard plant down multiple paths to broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, and many more varieties? The berza grown in northwest Spain is part of their heritage and not for large-scale commercial production. While in Spain, one should try the many types of greens eaten there. With a dash of olive oil and salt, they are delicious and nutritious.

In Barcelona, young turnip tops can be hard to find. They are sold as "nabiza". The name comes from "nabo" which means turnip. "Grelos" are the older leaves. In Italy, the leaves are called "cime di rapa". In the U.S., they sell a different version as broccoli raab and charge too much for them IMHO.

I never cared what was called I enjoyed the soup and actually I had served with pieces of turnip once and other times with potato. If it was on the menu I always ordered it.

This has been so educational! I agree with others that at the end of the day we really don't care what their names are and how they are translated into English, but it is fun to hear about regional variations and the cooking opportunities that present themselves.

Would it be inappropriate for me to ask for caldo gallego recipes here? I could start a new thread, let's see how it goes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For some reason, though, sometimes the menu describes caldo gallego as having turnip greens. Can anyone explain that?

Let me take a shot at this. I am a fairly decent cook and my "specialty" is one-dish meals (soups, stews, casseroles, etc.) from many cultures/countries.

Caldo Gallego is a "peasant/farm soup", for the lack of a better term. It is made using whatever greens are on hand at the time. Here in the USA I have seen it made not only with turnip greens, but also with spinach. Since diced turnips are frequently added to the potatoes in the soup, I suppose its only natural to toss the (well-washed) turnip greens into the pot as well.

Caldo Gallego is a "peasant/farm soup", for the lack of a better term. It is made using whatever greens are on hand at the time. Here in the USA I have seen it made not only with turnip greens, but also with spinach. Since diced turnips are frequently added to the potatoes in the soup, I suppose its only natural to toss the (well-washed) turnip greens into the pot as well.
I think you are right, as a peasant soup it is made from what ever is to hand and in season, sometimes that's brassicas sometimes it's turnip tops. It's also worth noting that many of the broths are made now days with chicken stock so you can't always assume it's vegetarian... Bit like all those wonderful bean dishes that tend to be made with layers of pork fat and slices of pork or sausage in them....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would it be inappropriate for me to ask for caldo gallego recipes here? I could start a new thread, let's see how it goes.

Yes, pleeeeease. I'd love a tried and tested recipe! I made one once (with home-grown Asturian cabbage leaves) but.... It was nothing like the 'proper' thing :-(

Simply Google for "Caldo Gallega Soup." You'll easily get 20 recipes.

The trick is to read through them all and pick out the common ingredients, then go back thru and pick out the other ingredients you think sound good. Vale!

My recipe is vegetarian, so many of y'all wouldn't care for it.

In Spain I saw many gardens with dark green leaf plants they use, I think mainly, for making soup. Someone told me the name once but I forgot. The leaves are large and thick, and the plant is apparently perennial. Does anyone know the name in Spanish?
I have wondered the same thing about the green plant with large leaves that grows to 4+ feet tall.

In the US it's usually called Tronchuda or Portuguese kale;

http://www.rareseeds.com/tronchuda-kale/

I've grown it because I live in FL and it's more heat-resistant than other brassicas, but I can't say I like it much for anything except Caldo Gallego. Quite bitter. Very handsome plant, though.

The Portuguese kale has very wide leaves and a thick central vein down the middle of the leaf. There is also Tuscan/Dinosaur kale which has long narrow crinkly leaves and resembles palm trees. It's used in Suppa Toscana. I think I remember seeing that in gardens along the Frances. Seeds for both can be found in the US but you might have to dig around a little. I would start with Johnny's if I were trying to get the garden going. (It got away from us one too many times, now I just hope there will be some good greens or another in the grocery store.)

Ask and it will be given

Ask and it will be given

I REFUSE to believe that you eat caldo gallego made with napa cabbage! Come on, Pinguirigrino, what is your secret home recipe?! Are you just trying a diversionary tactic to avoid sharing the secret? :D

I know I can find a million recipes on google, but people can also find the answers to most of the questions they post here on google, and we answer those questions anyway with our personal experience informing the answer. Personal favorites, vegetarian or not, would be welcome. I make caldo gallego a lot every winter, but I would love to compare ingredients to see what kind of tweeks might make it even better.

p.s. I would be happy to post my own recipe if anyone is interested.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All this talk about 'Brassica' rang a bell, and I was overjoyed it took me back to one of my childhood favorites: Asterix!

View attachment 36619

@Purky : this thread learns me two things : first of all dust off my old Asterix albums and secondly make soup today!! ;)
By Toutatis!:D

Wow - what a discussion this started in the restaurant San Clemente in Santiago this morning. I asked a "simple" question: what are the ingredients of Caldo Gallego and what are the green vegetables called? Well, this proved more controversial than the Catalan referendum! Several customers got involved and it seemed to me the only thing they could agree on was that water was used to make the soup! "Cabbage?" one of them shrieked, "You're not even from Galicia. If you use cabbage you know NOTHING". Was the mildest of put downs. Several different recipes were suggested. Then the chef appeared from the kitchen to referee and gradually I got some answers.

Cabbage or Kale may be used when there is nothing else but for Caldo GALLEGO they prefer the Berza leaves which are slightly bitter. These are used in late summer/autumn before the younger leaves the "Grelos" appear. Grelos, they said unanimously, were one of the things which makes authentic Caldo Gallego.

The other key ingredient is the base stock which is is made from: chicken, beef and ham bones boiled together for hours. Or beef and ham bones boiled in a chicken stock. Then add to that a mysterious ingredient (see photo) called "Unto" which is pork lard.

There was general agreement on all of this and of course general disagreement on quantities of beans, potatoes etc. Which I suppose is why everyone's caldo is different!

Happy cooking!Unto.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Um, thanks @JohnnieWalker but for us poor monoglots I take it this means turnip greens... And definitely not a vegetarian dish.

I REFUSE to believe that you eat caldo gallego made with napa cabbage! Come on, Pinguirigrino, what is your secret home recipe?! Are you just trying a diversionary tactic to avoid sharing the secret? :D

I know I can find a million recipes on google, but people can also find the answers to most of the questions they post here on google, and we answer those questions anyway with our personal experience informing the answer. Personal favorites, vegetarian or not, would be welcome. I make caldo gallego a lot every winter, but I would love to compare ingredients to see what kind of tweeks might make it even better.
p.s. I would be happy to post my own recipe if anyone is interested.

Hi Laurie.
You know , I live in Spain, am one of those fortunate guys who can afford "AUTENTICS" veggies, non expensive good olive oil, jamon iberico, lacon, true chorizo, fresh seafood... ;) When I´m jaded of those "delicatessen" just took mi bagpack, go to the Camino and ask for a "pilgrims menu". :eek:
This recipe is for the poor unfortunate pilgrims whom, returned home, want to try somethin that remotely recall the "true food" they have had, but can´t afford the original ingredients :(. It is is something like paella and the "rice cooked with stuff inside" we usually find in the Camino. o_O :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Nevertheless real good caldo gallego, cocido maragato, pote etc can be achived nowadays in Castilla Leon and Galicia. When you all, pilgrims friends, feel disgusted of this recipe, remember: EL CAMINO is waiting for you. And it is full of good food, good wine, and tasty cafe con leche if you know where to search for it. :rolleyes::D
Buen Camino to you all, honest people.
:):):)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We, too, wondered about it...It's called col. We bought some seeds and planted what we now call "Spanish Cabbage." While the folks in Spain grow a lot of it to feed their animals, they use it to flavor soups, too. I cook it for a long time or put it in the pressure cooker. It adds such a wonderful flavor to a beef soup.

Acelgas?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Falcon do you realize that your packet of Spanish Couve is provided by the oldest French seed house still operating? Vilmorin has been in existence since 1743 when it supplied Louis XV. They still occupy their original location on the Quai de la Mégisserie, 75001 Paris, as well as a multitude of other spots throughout europe and worldwide. Read more of their long history here--
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilmorin

With such a venerable vegetable heritage no wonder that US bugs find those leaves tasty!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Grelos. Definitely grelos. And potatoes. I bow to the authority of the chef from San Clemente - and having eaten there, who wouldn't?

Last edited:
Slightly off topic...and please excuse my colossal ignorance...but where in Santiago is this obviously fantastic restaurant San Clemente everybody's talking about?
Edit...yes, I know, I can Google it. But then no-one gets to tell their stories about the Caldo (or whatever) there...;)

Last edited:
Slightly off topic...and please excuse my colossal ignorance...but where in Santiago is this obviously fantastic restaurant San Clemente everybody's talking about?
Edit...yes, I know, I can Google it. But then no-one gets to tell their stories about the Caldo (or whatever) there...;)

http://www.restaurantesanclemente.com/
Situated at Rúa de San Clemente, 6.
I just looked into the map and saw there is indeed a shorter way back from the resto to the pension I stayed in the last time I was in Santiago. I now see I walked some circles , blame it on that orujo ;)
Ah how I love those lunches in Spain where you enter the resto at 2 pm and leave around 5.30 pm.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

GRELOS or Cabbage Leaves - delicious when cooked up like wilted Spinach etc

I tasted some of the leaves fresh from the field because I was curious. At the grocery store yesterday, I tasted all of the available greens and collard greens were the closest flavor. I looked online and found a photo of collard plants that looked pretty much the same- tall, bare stalk with a topknot of leaves. I made a pretty decent batch of Caldo today, though I might look for a different sausage next time.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.