• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

I would mention two: Acácio e Orieta (vilaria de rioja) and Las herrerias just before the O Cebreiro. Both of them have great hospitality and the food is made by them. The best at my opinion

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would mention two: Acácio e Orieta (vilaria de rioja) and Las herrerias just before the O Cebreiro. Both of them have great hospitality and the food is made by them. The best at my opinion

I too liked the albergue in Viloria de Rioja. Acácio e Orieta have created a most comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; thereare 10 comfy bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove and greatshowers that water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. Perfect!! .. I hope to return later this autumn.

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
En El Camino - Boadilla del Camino - great grass area to lounge, swimming pool, great café or restaurant to eat, huge a lovely vibe here!
Jesus - Mazarife - great atmosphere, pool
Karl Leisner - Hospital de Orbigo - great garden, just a great place to hang around
Albergues Villares - Villares de Orbigo - another cool place in a tiny village
Gaucelamo - Rabanal

Casa Ibarrola in Pamplona, it's on Calle Carmen just as you enter the old part the city. Not to be missed.

The german run albergue in La Faba, simply because it will well run and the little hamlet of La Faba where the cows, cats and dogs out number the people is a neat place to call home for the night.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hands down Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista in Grañón. The facilities weren't that great but what wonderful hospitaleros and guests as well. We also met a wonderful pilgrim named Mariano ther this summer. He gave us several recommendations that were all wonderful places as well. Next time I walk the Camino, I vow to stay at more parochial albergues.

Stayed at albergue Villares, Villares de Órbigo last night, I cannot recommend it highly enough, it was spotlessly clean, the hosts Pablo and Belén were so friendly and welcoming and for 6 euros provided a delicious home-cooked, 3 course meal with wine. The best albergue on my camino so far :)

I think I read somewhere else on forum that German La Faba is closed which disappointed me. Granon church similarly welcomed me. I arrived at 9pm and got final plate from communal dish. Fond memories indeed.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

it is not on the Camino as we normally think of it, but Bayonne is where I caught the train to get to SJPdP. The Monte Carlo Hotel and Café, opposite the Railway Station in Bayonne is small but adequate and very convenient. The hotelier was extremely helpful to someone who was just a little nervous heading towards the start of 'my Camino'. The café has a great feel and the food is good. For those looking for a sim card, I finally found one in a new shop, Espace Mobile at 34 Place de Republique, quite close to the Monte Carlo.

Re: What is the one Albergue that you would say is not to be mis

Not to be missed: the detour to Eunate.
That little church breaths a very special atmosphere.
and if you like: the albergue to stay the night in it's proximity

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

L'Esprit du Chemin in St Jean Pied de Port was a great way to start the Camino. The staff had everybody eat dinner together, we introduced ourselves, and friendships made that night were special throughout the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I personally fell in love with Casa Barbadelo. Very clean, beautiful views and so polite stuff! The food is also worth mentioning.

I personally fell in love with Casa Barbadelo. Very clean, beautiful views and so polite stuff! The food is also worth mentioning.

I agree, Casa Barbadelo is the most luxurious albergue I stayed at, I felt like I was at a resort.

After just returning from my first Camino my Favourite albergues were;
L'esprit de Chemin in St Jean, a wonderful start to the Camino, great food and hospitality.
Paroquial Albergue in Logrono, great hospitaleros and delicious communal meal all by donation.
Verde Albergue in Hospital de Orbigo, spiritual setting, yoga class, delicious vegetarian meal and massage shower!!;)

Last edited:
L'Espirit de Chemin! Don't miss this very special Albergue it's the only one I booked as I'd read such wonderful reports on here and they were all true. I found myself a little tearful and overwhelmed to be ACTUALLY started my Camino after so many years of longing and the host gently pointed out the perfect solution, they have a small Meditation hut in their garden where I could say a prayer, light a candle (or Joss stick) and just wait quietly till I was ready to join the others. I was lucky enough to be there on their final night of the season and it was VERY special. It's very easy to book, you don't have to pay in advance, the hosts even sent me an email to say I could check in with them and put my pack down before even picking up my Credential at the Pilgrims Office.
Cheating I know but also recommend Casa de la Magica, Villatuerta and the Albergue at Hotel San Antonio Abad in Villafranca Monte de Oca, hotel food at Perigrino prices and the Municipal there is on the road where over 2000 trucks thunder by every day!

The albergue in Rabanal run by the British confraternity. Spotlessly clean, large garden with fruit trees, herb garden and they serve afternoon tea at 4.00. Fire lighting in the evening and when we were there the hospitalier entertained us with his guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most outstanding one in a beautiful place run by lovely people and tastefully laid out is Albergue Villares de Orbigo. Dont miss this one.
This was may favorite too! Belen and her husband could not have been nicer. He fixed us scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, toast, juice and coffee for breakfast.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stayed at albergue Villares, Villares de Órbigo last night, I cannot recommend it highly enough, it was spotlessly clean, the hosts Pablo and Belén were so friendly and welcoming and for 6 euros provided a delicious home-cooked, 3 course meal with wine. The best albergue on my camino so far :)
I would certainly agree. The rooms were pleasant, large and uncrowded. The hosts were lovely and the communal meal was memorable.

I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily

Hi! I had a great time in most albergues but my favourite ones are : Fonfria; lovely people Lola and Miguel are super kind, drying our soaked shoes with a hot tube, sending me the purse that I left behind, showing some Galician dance...the albergue and the restaurant are traditional buildings and the pilgrim menu is one of the best I have had( the owner is great salsa dancer). The parroquial albergue in Logrono with the communal meal and great hosts, Ventosa for its quiet and pretty garden, the so cosy la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo: fantastic hosts, nice dog, brand new kitchen and buffet breakfast, Emaus in Burgos with the caring Marie Noel.
Hope this helps.. Buen camino

I too remember albergue in Fonfria although I had my dinner in restaurant further along the road through village. Very good meal indeed. But on return to the albergue I was very surprised because the salsa lessons were given to peregrinas by the Cuban staff. And it went on until 1AM :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As this thread dated 2011 most of this information out of date, surely it should be delayed regularlyregularly

As this thread dated 2011 most of this information out of date, surely it should be delayed regularlyregularly
as gaillimh, the 3rd and 4th pages of this thread relate to caminos undertaken in 2012 and 2013 it's relevance is current. ;)

Casa Magica was wonderful right before Estella. Dinner cooked with love by a great couple and no bunk beds!! ...Cruz de Ferro in Rabanal was so special...had a private room there, met great people over a delicious dinner.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Casa Magica was wonderful right before Estella. Dinner cooked with love by a great couple and no bunk beds!! ...Cruz de Ferro in Rabanal was so special...had a private room there, met great people over a delicious dinner.
Hi, Acordner!
I can't find albergue or casa rural named Cruz de Ferro in Rabanal del Camino on the internet and in Brierley. Is that something of a newer date?
Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks falcon, I know that one, but Acordner mentioned Rabanal, so I thought there might be a new albergue???
It is definitely in Rabanal, on the main drag up the street, close to the monastery where they have the Gregorian chant at 7:00pm. I don't think you need to worry about reserving.

It is definitely in Rabanal, on the main drag up the street, close to the monastery where they have the Gregorian chant at 7:00pm. I don't think you need to worry about reserving.

If it's an albergue might be that one?
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-gaucelmo

Otherwise:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-gaucelmo
or
http://www.laposadadegaspar.com/

Or - do you have the address, photo etc. of the place so some of members could recognize & confirm it?
Thanks @Acordner and sorry for the incovenience.

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not sure whether I've read all these but my favorite one was in Rabe de las Calzadas just beyond Burgos - Liberanos Domine! This family absolutely loves running an albergue and even brewed new coffee for my walking companions late morning breakfast on the road. That's not to mention the wonderful evening meal.

I don't believe this one is mentioned yet, but my favorite was the parish albergue in Zabaldika run by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. The best meal, a lovely little church and service, and time with the nuns in an intimate setting. I believe it opened April 2013 and is about 7 miles before Pamplona.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's very small so it you want to stay there make reservation , has a wonderful breakfast and she'll do your laundry for you.
This is not correct if you are referring to Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino. a) the hospitaleros don't take reservations, and b) you'll have to look after your laundry by yourself. You can follow Guacelmo happenings on Facebook.

This is not correct if you are referring to Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino. a) the hospitaleros don't take reservations, and b) you'll have to look after your laundry by yourself. You can follow Guacelmo happenings on Facebook.
It's not the Guacelmo, it's the Cruz de Ferro and it's delightful!

Trinidad de Arre without a doubt, it's very simple and a bit dated and most rush by to reach Pamplona only 4 km further on but I have never felt such peace, such a warm and genuine welcome by the priest, the magic of locals singing in the basilica (it's tiny!) during evening mass and a courtyard filled with flowers ... and all this in a place that has a (+/-) 1000 year tradition in caring for pilgrims

Trinidad de Arre without a doubt, it's very simple and a bit dated and most rush by to reach Pamplona only 4 km further on but I have never felt such peace, such a warm and genuine welcome by the priest, the magic of locals singing in the basilica (it's tiny!) during evening mass and a courtyard filled with flowers ... and all this in a place that has a (+/-) 1000 year tradition in caring for pilgrims
I had the same experience - thanks for reminding me of the wonderful albergue in Trinidad de Arre.

Only one, hmm I had 3 that I really liked but if I have to say only one I go for Albergue Villares de Órbigo http://www.alberguevillaresdeorbigo.com/

The courtyard:
IMG_20130827_124210.jpg

The warm breakfast:
IMG_20130828_065120.jpg

Belén wishing me luck on my walk:
IMG_20130828_072640.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If someone got reach Finisterre I recommend you to stay at albergue Cabo Da Vila. Keepers of this place are two lovely women, mom and daughter I suppose. They were really kind and polite to us, the attitude to all pilgrims there was so genial! The albergue itself was clean, roomy, the baths were in different fresh colours with own style in there. The food they serve for breakfast was home made - some kind of cake and fresh bread with special nuts. So if you get to the Ocean don't miss this place, I think you will like it.

BR,
V.

Pablo and Belen at Villares de Orbigo were the best hosts on my Camino and the food wasn't half bad either, definitely worth the 30 minute walk past Hospital de Orbigo for a great albergue.

Pablo and Belen at Villares de Orbigo were the best hosts on my Camino and the food wasn't half bad either, definitely worth the 30 minute walk past Hospital de Orbigo for a great albergue.
Definitely in my top five. Pablo and Belen are charming. We have stayed there twice and it's so much worth the short walk after Hospital de Orbigo. Anne

If someone got reach Finisterre I recommend you to stay at albergue Cabo Da Vila. Keepers of this place are two lovely women, mom and daughter I suppose. They were really kind and polite to us, the attitude to all pilgrims there was so genial! The albergue itself was clean, roomy, the baths were in different fresh colours with own style in there. The food they serve for breakfast was home made - some kind of cake and fresh bread with special nuts. So if you get to the Ocean don't miss this place, I think you will like it.

BR,
V.
Stayed there as well. Really nice!

I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily

hey there Linda and Emily! I too am leaving the end of May for my first trip! May you be blessed!

Pamplona Casa Paderborn,
Ventosa San Saturnino
Rivadiso albergue Municipal
Negreira San Juan
Oliverao albergue Municipal
Muxia albergue Municipal
Just a few! ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not on the Frances but on the ruta del Ebro : the municipal in Gallur ( two days after Zaragoza ) , also a local tapasbar...Beautiful lovely hospitaleras!!

San Nicolas

= small albergue after Castrojeriz (just before Itero del Castillo) - very beautiful place, you sleep and eat in an old chapel. The Italian hospitaleros welcome you heartily, take care of you, cook lovely pasta, after prayers and touching ceremony "candlelight" dinner all together...

Buen camino,
you will have a wonderful time!

Hospital San Nicholas, run by the Italian Confraternity I believe - unforgetable there!

I have a few favourites that I always stay at,
La Pata de la Oca, Torres del Rio
Iglesia Santiago Apostol, Logrono
En El Camino, Boadilla del Camino
Albergue Verde, Hospital de Orbigo
The unofficial albergue, La Faba

and Albergue do Sol, Fisterra

Trinidad de Arre (I liked the old monastery)
albergue-de-trinidad-de-arresello.png

Viloria de Rioja (10 bed, eat-together, nice communal area, almost no bunk bed)
obanje7828ro.png

Rabanal (the garden, the kitchen and its herbs)
e2qrwujpjlh.png

For me, the albergues in Boadilla and Bercanios stand out. Bercanios especially. The town is not great but the hospitality from the volunteers is second to none.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Granon, the donativo albergue in the church annex. I was the only pilgrim the night I stayed there. Pedro cooked an excellent dinner for me and his fellow hostess, Mari, and packed me lunch the next morning. I attended mass with Mari; while I could not receive communion, the priest called me forward for the warmest blessing. Mari and Pedro later gave me a tour of the church; they lighted the apse and we discussed the various saints depicted in the gilt sculptures, and prayed a pilgrims' prayer in Italian, Spanish, and English. Pedro pointed out the marks made by the stone cutters to identify their stones for payment (think Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth; I could trace the marks with my fingers. I slept on the loft alone, on a mat on the floor, warmed by the wood stove in the living area below. What a special night that I will not soon forget.

- There's this tiny little hippie albergue in La Faba with accomodations for only 8 people. The hostess cooked a vegetarian meal entirely made of herbs and veggies from their own garden. And then we ate that around a woodfire in the middle of the livingroom. It's just called "vegetarian albergue" (follow the signs at the beginning of the village) and much more cosy and special than the big German albergue at the other side of the town. It's €8,- for accomodations and another €10,- for dinner (including wine) but that's totally worth it. Their stamp is the most unusual one on my whole credential: the Indian Elephantgod Ganesha.

- San Anton. You sleep in the ruins of an old Fransican monastery, it's soooo very beautiful! I felt like sleeping within a movieset! Mind you though, it's not for luxary lovers: there's no electricity (so you eat by candlelight!) so no heating (therefor it's only open in the summer), showers are cold and there's only room for 10 people. That's all worth it though, I loved the place. It's donativo and dinner is included, you eat together with the hospitalero and his family. From the donativo's they try to preserve/restore the ruins.

- Albergue do Sol e da Lua in Finisterra. Owned by very young people which gives a very lively and open atmosphere. You eat with all pilgrims in a circle at the floor, very hippie-like. (I wouldn't recomend joining that dinner to old people who rather sit in a chair though). €10,- a night, you're allowed to stay more nights since many people end their camino here, dinner is €4,-

- Saint Michael in Hospital de Orbigo (one of the last albergue's in the village). I could paint my own camino-painting, which they displayed on the wall along with all other works made by previous pilgrims. The canvas, brushes and paint are free, all pilgrims are welcomed to make their own artwork. A very nice activity after walking a whole day. The albergue looks like a museum or artgallery, so beautiful. They have a woodfire, extremely welcome when I arrived there soaking wet right out of pouring rain.

- Ermira de San Nicolas, 3km for Puenta Fitero. Run by Italian volunteers who treated al my blisters, so very sweet, and who cooked for us. Most special: a footwash ritual! The albergue is build inside an old church, and you literally sleep and eat next to the altar.

- Hospital de Pelegrinos by Fraternidad de Esperanza in Trabadelo. There's room for 10 people, dinner and breakfast included, and it's donativo. The hospitalera sings and plays at her guitar after dinner and in the morning to wake pilgrims up, she makes a lot of effort to let everyone feel very welcome and at home. Very very special atmosphere. At the moment it is closed though, and it's unsure when, and if, the albergue will open again. Too bad, this was the best place for me on my whole camino!

That would be Monte Irago. Awesome pilgrim dinner and they make some flaming liquor after dinner, too. I slept up in the top floor area, like an attic, on a mattress on the floor. Very comfortable. There is also a dorm room on the second floor. Could of course have just been the group there at the time, but it was a very friendly place, welcoming and comfortable. With a raging fire going at all times (it was very foggy, rainy and cold when I was there) and nuts to roast. Very good place!

I slept also in the attic in October 2009. Fantstic spirit, good food, singing...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have stayed at Monte Irago in Foncebaden twice and agree with Ritva.It is a wonderful place. There is something about the atmosphere up there on top of the mountains and the special ambiance in the albergue.

- There's this tiny little hippie albergue in La Faba with accomodations for only 8 people. The hostess cooked a vegetarian meal entirely made of herbs and veggies from their own garden. And then we ate that around a woodfire in the middle of the livingroom. It's just called "vegetarian albergue" (follow the signs at the beginning of the village) and much more cosy and special than the big German albergue at the other side of the town.

This sounds very interesting in my never ending quest to find vegetarian food on the Camino. This would have to be the only one of its kind I'm sure. It sounds significantly better that the side of "vegetables" I ordered in a restaurant in Santiago last time which was no more than baby food slop that required little or no mastication. At 12 euros, it was an absolute disgrace and without a doubt a complete rip-off.

I have stayed at Monte Irago in Foncebaden twice and agree with Ritva.It is a wonderful place. There is something about the atmosphere up there on top of the mountains and the special ambiance in the albergue.
The private albergue Monte Irago is unforgettable.... Early March 2009 leaving Rabanal snow began to fall; pretty at first, then stinging and very cold with an incessant wind. Walking with great difficulty on the snow-covered road after 6 k I arrived at the tiny village of Foncebadon.

Luckily the private albergue, Monte Irago was OPEN. What a RELIEF to find physical warmth and good food available in the middle of a snowstorm on the side of a mountain! A full day later the snow outside was deep and still falling and the wind still howling. The four other pilgrims and I wondered if we might be there until the spring thaw! By the third morning the main room resembled descriptions of Mt Everest base camp! Outside there were at least 75 centimeters on the ground with much deeper drifts. However the storm had cleared and the road was plowed; we trudged on

...Since that first visit each time that I stop either for a tea or a bunk the owner/hospitalero greets me by name and always recalls that I first came "that year of the big storm".

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether I've read all these but my favorite one was in Rabe de las Calzadas just beyond Burgos - Liberanos Domine! This family absolutely loves running an albergue and even brewed new coffee for my walking companions late morning breakfast on the road. That's not to mention the wonderful evening meal.
Indy, how did you like the town of Rabe de las Calzadas?

Albergue san marcos, palas de rei.

Very new, very modern. I found it a refreshing change from lots of the old ones filled with charm. I would stay there again.

Hi Alyssa,
I suspect it's a village that people skip over because it's so close to Burgos. It just happened to be a cold, windy, and rainy day so we stopped early. It's a quiet town but we went to a prayer service in the abbey with the nuns. I sat next to one whose hands told the entire story of her life! But it was the albergue that was the highlight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am spending my first night on my Camino at the Albergue Santa Maria de Carbajal in Leon. A lot of weary travelers from everywhere. Smelly, talking, snoring--just what I was looking for! Ambiance out the wazoo. Great folks all.

It was interesting to me that the Samos monastery has not come up more on these lists. I was actually looking forward to staying there on this trip. Is it worth it (other than the cold)? Do they have a mass or Vespers for pilgrims to attend like in Rabanal? Trying to decide if we continue to make that a priority or to do something else.

Thanks.
Rambler

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have just read through all the messages on this thread. Sabine, I think your posting is great and very helpful to anyone who might have a choice of places to say.
I noticed that 2 of my favourites are not on anyone's list:
Acacio & Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja, who are Brazilian/Italian couple. Orietta made a simple dinner and, sitting around the table asked everyone to introduce themselves and give the reason why they were doing the Camino. This opened up to a beautiful atmosphere and discussions on very many subjects.
La Casa del Camino in Valverde de la Virgen. Owned and run by Zacharías and Pilar. We have stayed there twice and the welcome is just what a Pilgrim hopes to receive. Pilar will go out of her way to help you and make you feel at home. She has a fantastic way of treating blisters. One I had never heard of before. She will make you an evening meal and breakfast if you wish. The one dormitory is very spacious and they have separate "ladies and gents" showers and toilets. I like that! Anne
I must agree with you about, Acacio & Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja an experience I will never forget, I am writing a whole story about my stay. Love those people! She also treated me because I had a collapsed lung with a bad cough. She gave me the poison from a bee...it worked! The room where the beds were was like a cave, plus they had a really good library.

It was interesting to me that the Samos monastery has not come up more on these lists. I was actually looking forward to staying there on this trip. Is it worth it (other than the cold)? Do they have a mass or Vespers for pilgrims to attend like in Rabanal? Trying to decide if we continue to make that a priority or to do something else.

Thanks.
Rambler

Rambler,

The monastery at Samos does have an evening Vespers service. However you need NOT stay in the Samos monastery in order to attend. Check the time for the service and wait on the high steps outside the west front of the monastery church. The door will be opened before the service.

In addition to the monastery albergue there are two private albergues in Samos; check this Eroski list for more info. Regular tourist accommodation is also available in the town. Once such place is the A Veiga; I have never stayed there, but often eat their Menu de Dia which is always a tasty bargain.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Rambler,

The monastery at Samos does have an evening Vespers service. However you need NOT stay in the Samos monastery in order to attend. Check the time for the service and wait on the high steps outside the west front of the monastery church. The door will be opened before the service.

In addition to the monastery albergue there are two private albergues in Samos; check this Eroski list for more info. Regular tourist accommodation is also available in the town. Once such place is the A Veiga; I have never stayed there, but often eat their Menu de Dia which is always a tasty bargain.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thanks MM.
Sounds like it is not that special other than to visit.

Rambler

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stayed in the Benedictine Albergue in Leon my first night on the Camino 2 nights ago and it was great with all the "problems" written about by some--snoring, a little odiferous, noise from outside, lights on before 6 a.m. However, the cultural exchanges, many acts of courtesy, friendliness of the sisters and others more than compensated. I loved it and recommend it highly as an intro to the Camino.
Last night stayed in the Municipal Albergue in Villadangos del Paramo and it was fine, but nothing special.
Tonight I am staying at the Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo and it is special. Clean bunks, showers, toilets and all the extra facilities. It is a renovated building of some kind and I recommend it highly.

Alyssa, I completely agree!! I started out slowly on Good Friday from Burgos, so Rabé was the best stopping place.
Along with Casa Brigida in Hontanas these were the most exceptional albergues I stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble!! Clean, excellent food and very helpful people.

For me Guacelmo in rabadan with Benedictine monastery next door was the highlight.

My favorite was Santo Domingo de la Calzada, the hospiteros were Canadians from Alberta, it was newly refurbished, nice bunk rooms and great shower facilities and a good kitchen with a larger dining area, it was especially great after the day before at the one in Najera, no hot water and no ventilation in the bunk room.
I also liked Orisson, what made that one unique was the young Basque girl who worked there, Pantxika (pronouned Panchica), so full of energy and funny, she really got the Camino off to a great start.
Pantxika and the rest of the staff at Orisson were still amazing in September 2013! I met several people that night who became part of my "Camino family," most of whom I saw often or at intervals all the way to Santiago. It was a wonderful place to stay on my first night out of SJPP.

Linda and Emily

Albergues, by their nature will not be anything to look forward to, but instead, help you along your "Camino" to learn once again how to be grateful. Having said that, I like Ronchevalles. I suppose it is so clean and orderly so that you are sent off on your Camino in high spirits, because after that, until you get to the municipal albergue in the old town of Burgos, next to the cathedral, you will not have cleanliness, warmth, and comfort like that. Yet, you look for the pleasures in other ways, as I remember Hornillos, sleeping on a mat upon the concrete floor of a gymnasium with 50 other peregrinos, the rain pouring down to remind you that this is what is in store for your walk early the next morning. It was so often cold and rainy when we walked last year beginning in Apri, so each albergue with a bowl of warm soup, a pint of beer, and a little conversation proved just the place for me. That is what the Camino was about for me, reminding me to be thankful for the smallest of things.

Don't plan to much. Just walk. You'll get to where the Universe wants you to stay. By the way, bring a copy of John Brierley's book on walking the Camino, available in any bookstore, along with the author Paolo Coehlo's, "The Pilgrimage." You will be glad you did.

Disagree with the above saying they are minimal until Burgos. "Grandma's House" in Los Arcos was outstanding and they did your laundry for 50 cents!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks.
Rambler
We were sorely disappointed by Samos. We chose that route because it was recommended to us by the hospitaleros in both Granon and Bercianos - 2 magical places - as having a similar atmosphere. So we arrived expecting a common meal, a sharing circle, a sense of community. Instead, we found a big room full of beds, a bathroom - and that's it! Not only was there no shared meal, there wasn't even a common space where people could sit and talk to each other.

We ended up visiting the monastery, and then staying at a private albergue that had a kitchen and shared eating area.

For me, the people are the most important part of the camino, and the best albergues are the ones that offer spaces where people can meet and share.

My favourites (all of which have nice common areas!):
the parochial albergues in Granon and Bercianos (communal meals)
A Robaleiro in Fonfria (no kitchen, but lovely common room and amazing pilgrim meal at a huge family-style table)
Albergue de Boni in Salceda (no kitchen, small rooms, nice common area with tables and couches, massaging showers)
municipal albergue in Mansilla de las Mulas (beautiful kitchen, lots of places to sit and share)
albergue de Jesus in Villar de Mazarife (really fun and artsy vibe, nice kitchen, small rooms)
Jakue in Puente la Reina (nice kitchen and eating area, several other common areas, massaging showers)

I'm staying at La Casa del Peregrino, a new family-owned albergue that has been open one week. Excellent facilities, splendid vistas overlooking the valley and Molinaseca. Each bunk bed has its own light and two power outlets. Lots of showers, toilets, and sinks. Men and women sleep in different sections of the albergue. Esta may comodo.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Definitely in my top five. Pablo and Belen are charming. We have stayed there twice and it's so much worth the short walk after Hospital de Orbigo. Anne
Hello, can you recommend a place after Casa Magica, private, walking about 14 to 16 miles a day. Also, one between Los Arcos and Logrono. Thank You.:)

Just back from walking SJPdP to Estella - and had really loved the albergue at Zabaldica between Larrasoana and Pamplona. It is run by the same association that run Granon and Bercainos. It is attached to the parish church and 4 nuns live here in a community to engage with pilgrims. Its is clean - nice lounge, a communal dinner, a garden. There is mass and the nuns have a lovely evening service for pilgrims. You are also encouraged to ring the old bell in the tower. It was a lovely place to stay - the nuns made me feel so welcome!

Casa de la Abuela in Arcos, run by a young couple (at my age most people are young!) which has the hospitality and service spirit to not just accommodate but also go out of their way to assist pilgrims with unselfish advice. Recommendable!

Casa de la Abuela in Arcos, run by a young couple (at my age most people are young!) which has the hospitality and service spirit to not just accommodate but also go out of their way to assist pilgrims with unselfish advice. Recommendable!
Thank you, Clearskies also recommended this place so I am trying to get reservations. Any other place you loved after this will help too! :) Buen Camino. I start in a week, nervous and excited !

Just returned to Kentucky after hiking Leon to Santiago from May 1 to May 16. Can't say I stayed in a bad albergue but did stay in some outstanding ones. Following are my faves:
Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo. It is conveniently located and is clean, neat and provides all services.
Albergue Pequera Potala in Ruitelan. It is a humble abode but clean and provides everything the peregrinos needs. And the meals offered are among the best I experienced.
Albergue Reboleira in Fonfria. Modern facility with great bunks and all services. Great meals are available in a dining hall built to resemble a Galician old style thatched roof abode.
Albergue Los Blasones in Sarria. Multi story building right on the Camino. It is located near restaurants, markets, ATMs. It has all services and very amiable staff.
Albergue Vilela in Melide. In an unimpressive looking tenement style building, the Albergue provides all services and had an outstanding staff. It is extremely user friendly.

My favourites were:
Saturnino in Ventosa - comfortable, nice hosts, quality
En El Camino in Boadilla - lovely garden, welcome & food (plus wood burning stove & hanging out space)
Alberque Villares de Ortigo - lovely courtyard, friendly couple hosts, great group meal
Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal - lovely garden and best of British welcome
Paloma Y Lena just before Sarria on the Samos detour - really beautiful, family run, oasis of calm, warmth & good food

Linda and Emily

Al the ones I stayed in on the Camino Frances (28 February to 26 March) were very good except the big one in Leon which was just average (lots of "tourists") In busier months I would avoid this one because of inadequate toilet/shower facilities for the number of beds available. I walked pretty well alone for most of the time and some nights stayed alone, or with just one, two or three others, except the very few occasions I was stuck in a place on the Brierly daily schedule list. The municipal in El Burgo Ranero was excellent. Best meal of the first part of the trip was in the bar at Alto de Pollo (I headed off into heavy snow the next morning).

But if you do the extra Camino Jacobeo to Fisterre and Muxia, the albergue at Logoso is exceptional, and the albergue Cobo da Vila in Fisterre was the most marvellous of my whole Camino - don't miss this one, and tell the beautiful ladies running it that John the elderly Australian who was there in late March sent you! But at all costs avoid the albergue Al Casa Del Fonte up behind the municipal in Fisterre. This was utterly dreadful, they couldn't care less, and I walked out after paying my money and went up to the Cobo.

John (aka Bogong)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a great weath of info on albergues especially for us newbies. As a newbie I think (at this point) I'm drawn to the monasteries and places run by nuns or buddhists. That might change after being on the Camino, we'll see. Thanks all for sharing.

Echo what some others have said.
Acacio and Orieta's in Viloria
Aubergue Villares, Pablo and Belen's
Gaucelmo in Rabanal
Cabo de Vila in Finisterre
The Casa Rural and Municipal in Población (both run by same woman, BIG hospitality!)
Mercadoiro good hospitality
Also El Jardin del Camino as you come in to Mansilla. Friendly and lively and they cure their own meats so excellent charcuterie....
Esprit du Chemin in SJPdP is great too but has just changed hands so may change in character.

Just back from a brief camino from Ponferrada to S de C, took the opportunity to again stay in Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan, it has lost none of its charm in the last 12 months and the communal dinner and breakfast were again a highlight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a great weath of info on albergues especially for us newbies. As a newbie I think (at this point) I'm drawn to the monasteries and places run by nuns or buddhists. That might change after being on the Camino, we'll see. Thanks all for sharing.

Are there Buddhists on the Camino?

Are there Buddhists on the Camino?
Well, I don't know how many of them are running the albergue ;) but I'm sure there are some walking the Camino. At least this one on my photo taken after Burgos. A Buddhist monk I suppose!!!

I also remember one member of the forum (forgot the name though) who was Muslim...

Ultreia

Attachments

• 0860-buddhist monk on the path before Villalbilla (Burgos-Rabe de las Calzados, 31.05.2011).jpg
    0860-buddhist monk on the path before Villalbilla (Burgos-Rabe de las Calzados, 31.05.2011).jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 21
Well, I don't know how many of them are running the albergue ;) but I'm sure there are some walking the Camino. At least this one on my photo taken after Burgos. A Buddhist monk I suppose!!!

I also remember one member of the forum (forgot the name though) who was Muslim...

Ultreia

Yeah I guess that was my question......were there Buddhists running Alberques.

The albergue in Ruitelan has a lot of Buddhist paraphernalia, but I did not ask their religion. Incense sometimes means nothing more than incense.

Refugio Pequeño Potala

refugio-pequeno-potala-2014.jpg

• Dirección: Carretera de A Coruña, 22
  • Localidad: Ruitelán (León)
  • Teléfono de contacto: 987 56 13 22
  • Email: pequepotala@hotmail.com
  • Propiedad del albergue: Privado
  • Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Privado
  • Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Luis Miguel Berlana y Carlos García
  • Observaciones: Dan cena, con posibilidad de que sea vegetariana, a 7 euros. Desayuno 3 euros. Sihatsu completo 30 euros. También se dan masajes locales para tratar tendinitis (donativo voluntario)

I would say Hospital de Órbigo (the Parish Shelter or the "Albergue Verde" -this one involved in yoga environment-), Rabanal del Camino ("El Pilar" very familiar and friendly) and Pieros (a little vegetarian shelter).
I would skip the parish albergue in Orbigo. Lovely people but no heat and WC in open courtyard. Rooms very cold including kitchen. Not a place to stay unless really hot. I heard from fellow pilgrims Albergue Verde is wonderful. Great accommodations and food.

The albergue in Ruitelan has a lot of Buddhist paraphernalia, but I did not ask their religion. Incense sometimes means nothing more than incense.

Refugio Pequeño Potala

refugio-pequeno-potala-2014.jpg

• Dirección: Carretera de A Coruña, 22
  • Localidad: Ruitelán (León)
  • Teléfono de contacto: 987 56 13 22
  • Email: pequepotala@hotmail.com
  • Propiedad del albergue: Privado
  • Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Privado
  • Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Luis Miguel Berlana y Carlos García
  • Observaciones: Dan cena, con posibilidad de que sea vegetariana, a 7 euros. Desayuno 3 euros. Sihatsu completo 30 euros. También se dan masajes locales para tratar tendinitis (donativo voluntario)
I loved this place.

I would skip the parish albergue in Orbigo. Lovely people but no heat and WC in open courtyard. Rooms very cold including kitchen. Not a place to stay unless really hot. I heard from fellow pilgrims Albergue Verde is wonderful. Great accommodations and food.
I stayed in the Orbigo parish albergue two nights ago. The courtyard garden is pretty but there was a problem which bohered everyone and that was the FLIES. I have never been anywhere with so many flies. One pilgrim described them as 'Hellatious". Perhaps it is due to the cats which poo in the garden and make that area stink but the flies were enough to recommend staying away. Of course in a few weeks, with colder weather the flies won't be a problem. And yes, it was just this albergue. I stopped in at other places in town and never noticed a fly problem.

BR,
V.
I agree...they were so welcoming. I arrived there drenched having walked from Muxia in the pouring rain and they first got me dried, and warmed up and settled before getting down to the admin. A very special and homely place.

Santa Maria in Carrion de los Condes. Communal meal and singing every night with the wonderful nuns who run the place.
San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo. Artwork, many the work of peregrinos, adorn the place.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back