• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

Here are my favorite albergues.
-- St Jean Pied de Port - Albergue Beilari, great, thanks Joe for your hospitality, thank you cook [from San Francisco, CA] for those great meals!
-- Rabe de las Calzadas: Albergue Liberanos Domine, awesome hospitalera and she is a great cook too, also remember to visit el convento de las Hijas de la Caridad about one block away for your bendicion de peregrino!
-- Poblacion de Campos: Albergue La Finca, awesome, plus Roberto is one of the best cooks in the camino, those locally grown tomatoes were great!
-- Carrion de los Condes: Casa de Espiritualidad Nuestra Senora de Belen [Filipenses], great place, clean, the Sisters are great, thank you Sister Maria for all you did for us and for the gifts, you kicked me out of the kitchen when we tried to clean our dishes, the next time please allow us to lavar los platos!
-- Arzua: Albergue O Santo, this place is clean, quiet, the hospitalera is great, and Team Sailor [my wife and me] were the only two souls in the place!
Already then, thanks for reading, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didn’t stay at any other Albergue on you list except Casa de E. In Carrion. Big shout out to Sister(s) Carmen and Edith. I will never forget them. I too was shooed out when I asked to wash dishes. Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz was another favorite. I would not recommend Casa Alberti in Los Arcos.

Several albergues I wouldn't miss are:

In Castrojeriz: Albergue Ultreia. There is a wonderful stone tub in the garden for soaking your feet. The hospitalero y hospitalera are wonderful and cook a nice community dinner. The best part of the whole thing is the tour of the medieval wine cellar downstairs. Jose's tour and storytelling are not to be missed.

In Boadilla del Camino: Albergue En El Camino. Wonderful large patio/garden full of statues, art and flowers. Good food available all day with a nice outdoor community atmosphere. The hospitalero Eduardo is a sweetheart and so is his cat.

In Oncina de la Valdoncina: Albergue El Pajar. After Leon, you come to La Virgen del Camino, where you have a choice of routes. One goes along the road and the other is the "scenic" route. On the scenic route, you come to an interesting small village, Oncina. El Pajar wasn't listed in my guidebook or on WisePilgrim (but probably will be next year). It's a 200+ year old farmhouse with such charm and great hospitalera and hospitalero. Real family ambiente and the cat and dog are best friends. The hospitalero is a musician and often has his friends over in the evening to play.

Will add more when I find my damn Credencial to remember the names.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albergue La Finca in Población de Campos, not far past Fromista.
Each bed is like a mini-room, especially the uppers, which are accessed by mini staircases. The lower "bunks" have curtains for privacy. It's free to use the washing machine, and the pilgrim's dinner is awesome.

Yes, based on a recommendation in this forum, I stayed at La Finca even though it wasn't as far as I intended to walk that day. What a Great place! The little cafe there is very nice, too.

This is my favorite albergue. It had been a long, hot walk. It didn't look like much outside, but this is what I saw as I walked through the gate. They would not stamp the credentials or take money before they showed you ur bed and you rested and had a drink.

A needed break for the mind, body and spirit!!

Where was this? Photo on original post.

Answered my own question - Albergue En el Camino in Boadilla del Camino

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily
If you stop on León stay at hostal León. It's just lovely
You could book a room for 2. Don't think the price is much different from getting a bunk bed in a shared room. But book on time. Great hostal. €15 pp

I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily

Alberguet i Zabaldica (near/after Pamplona) with the sisters of 'the Sacred Heart'
Bellorado in the Swisch albergue made in an old theater
The Albergue in the small town Rabé - where there is a small monastery for 'Sisters of Mercy, center for miracles' really worth visiting if you walk for the spirituality
Next time I will surely spend a night in the San Anton Albergue not far from Hontanas
In Sahagun I love to stay at the 'Manastery de Santa Cruix'
In Leon at the big San Franciscan Albergue
In Portomarin 'Ulteria' with its very family atmosphere as also the Albergue near the small church in San Xulian
In Santiago - If you want to spend the night there - 'The Last Stamp' is a great place
In Finis Terre I love to stay at the 'Oceanus' where Diego is a wonderful host
In Muxía I like to visit the 'Bella Muxía' Albergue

I could mention many, but these stand out

Buen Camino
Reidun

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
San Nicolas

= small albergue after Castrojeriz (just before Itero del Castillo) - very beautiful place, you sleep and eat in an old chapel. The Italian hospitaleros welcome you heartily, take care of you, cook lovely pasta, after prayers and touching ceremony "candlelight" dinner all together...

Buen camino,
you will have a wonderful time!
I remember visiting this enchanting place and wishing i'd known about it. Next time I am sure I'm going to stay there.

Hola fellow Peregrinos.
I am currently staying at the Albergue El Encato in Villares de Orbigo on the Camino Frances. Perfect location. A charming and clean place with a lovely and very helpful hostess. This place should definitely be added to the list of favourite Albergues.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Old thread I know but...

For me San Anton just before Castrojeriz

Ruins of an old monastery, no wifi, (oh no you have to talk to each other) no electricity, water scarce and often cold (last time NO water, had to fetch it yourself from down the road). Does have beds, communal dinner. Hospitalero's some of the nicest I have ever met.

Utterly beautiful with a long long history of serving pilgrims and a truly beautiful setting.

Magnificent
Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Linda and Emily
Casa Fernanda on the Camino Portuguese

Casa Fernanda on the Camino Portuguese
Meh
Not when it's raining. Nowhere to dry your stuff.
Also, personally, I very much dislike it when donativos tell you how much they want you to donate. That makes is a price list, not a donation. And a pretty steep one, too. The price was mentioned to us at least three times. They should stop pretending to be a donativo. And for the money they are collecting get a washer and dryer, I do not see how that would hurt anyone.
Sorry, Casa Fernanda turned out to be the biggest disappointment for us this time around.

Last edited:
They should stop pretending to be a donativo
They have. When I called for a reservation for my stay in September I was told up front that the price was 20€ for bed, dinner and breakfast. There was also a pre-dinner appetizer and wine in the garden. Apparently too many pilgrims had enjoyed Fernanda's hospitality and not donated a cent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albergue San Miguel in Hospital del Órbigo.
After the stay in Grañon (San Juan Bautista) best experience on the CF for me.

Last edited:
They have. When I called for a reservation for my stay in September I was told up front that the price was 20€ for bed, dinner and breakfast. There was also a pre-dinner appetizer and wine in the garden. Apparently too many pilgrims had enjoyed Fernanda's hospitality and not donated a cent.
It is more than worth it.

€60,-
How much did the stay cost @Roland49?

As far as I remember that was 12 or 15€ for the night and breakfast. Good value for money, lovely host, very funny.
They try to make you feel home as much as it is possible. Even in hot summer, the dorm was not to hot to sleep. Try to take the lower bunk.

There can never be only one ...

The Santiago pilgrims albergue in Lourdes, with Jean-Louis. (best albergue)

Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo, with Jesus Jato. (best Hospitalero)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Linda and Emily

Love this post! I leave in May 2020 and would love to hear any recent stories and/or suggestions xxx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I tried to donate more than requested at Fernanda's and she balked and wouldn't let me. For the record.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried to donate more than requested at Fernanda's and she balked and wouldn't let me. For the record.
When I was there in 2018 there was a box with a slot, so she had no way to stop me. :)

They had gone way out of their way to help me track down and retrieve a missing phone, so I had no hesitation in significantly increasing my donation.

San Nicolas

= small albergue after Castrojeriz (just before Itero del Castillo) - very beautiful place, you sleep and eat in an old chapel. The Italian hospitaleros welcome you heartily, take care of you, cook lovely pasta, after prayers and touching ceremony "candlelight" dinner all together...

Buen camino,
you will have a wonderful time!

I agree! The best, spiritual, friendly, warm place i stayed on all of my caminos in Spain and Portugal in 7 years.

So long
DonCamino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This may help answer your question. If I had to pick one, maybe the Albergue Xunta in Ribadiso. Buon Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two outstanding albergues: San Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca, and San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo. The first gets you hotel facilities for the price of an albergue, and the restaurant is excellent value. San Miguel is welcoming and full of art. Nothing like it.

The parroquial in Bercianos is also special, but Granon is, IMO, a bit overrated.

Next time I am in Villafranca del Bierzo, I will make it a point to book my stay at Albergue Leo. We had a few drinks there after a typical Pilgrim dinner in town. We met Mercedes and Maria who took care of us until it was past lock down at our albergue. Albergue Leo has been Mercedes' family home and we were taken on a tour. Lovely and classy place and hostess.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back