• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

The parrochial albergues at Estella, Viana and Bercianos de Real Camino! The accomodations are NOT fancy (in Viana, you sleep on thin mats on the floor, and in Estella, the bunk beds are cramped in a dark room with little air flow). However, the love, joy and care from the hospitaleros and locals in these places is overwhelming. Each was a donativo with a communal dinner. In Estella, the hospitaleros took extra time to care for my badly blistered feet. In Viana, we were greeted and treated as if we were family coming for a visit, and after a joyous dinner, the parish priest invited us into the church for a private prayer service and music. In Bercianos, we were invited to a neighbor's bodega before dinner, then a raucous sing-along during the meal, then after dinner, a prayer service followed by watching the sun set on the meseta. When people ask me about my favorite part of the Camino, I think of these places!

For private albergues, I cannot highly enough recommend Orrison on the Pyrenees (amazing food, amazing views, communal dinner filled with love & laughter), La Casa Mágica in Villatuerta (cold saltwater footbaths, hammocks, comfy beds in airy rooms, and Miguel, the Camino wiseman who cared for my horrendous blisters and gave me life-changing advice) and En El Camino in Boadilla (a little oasis on the meseta with a small pool, a loft, soft grass and dreamy artwork, not to mention a surprisingly delicious pilgrim's menu).

If you are looking for a small splurge, I also very highly recomend the pension Casa Xato in the tiny hamlet of Biduedo, between O Cebreiro and Triacastela. Celia, our hostess, prepared a 4-course meal almost entirely from products of her own farm (the steak we had was one of her cows, and the soft Galician farmers cheese she made from her cows' milk) -- and breakfast the next morning was equally as sumptuous! A private bed/bath, a 4-course dinner and a full breakfast the following morning, all with genuine hospitality, for a total of €38. I'd stay there again n a heartbeat!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SisterPearl said:
and En El Camino in Boadilla (a little oasis on the meseta with a small pool, a loft, soft grass and dreamy artwork, not to mention a surprisingly delicious pilgrim's menu).

Arguably , that Mama cooks the best grub on the Camino. :D ........still dream of that Cothido stew .......mmmm - Magnifico!!

David, thank you. Now I know I've walked past it, but I continued on to a non-descript hotel in Villadangos. I'll keep an eye out for it this time.
Nancy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agreed on all fronts with En El Camino in Boadilla. The people were lovely, the food was great and the garden & pool very much needed after that days walk in nearly 37C heat. And of course all the ice cream that we had :lol:

Ive liked the municipal in El Burgo Ranero very much as well - more due to the hospitalieros that the albergue itself though. They were ever so lovely and at sunset took all of us to a nearby lake and read us some "wishes to the pilgrams" and gave a little speech. Very moving in certainly one of the moments that I wouldnt have wanted to miss on my Camino. The albergue was fine as well with a big kitchen, free internet (slow but still, it was for free) and a nice green space next to the house.

Definitely private Albergue in Ventosa, San Saturnino.

Hospitaliera was like an angel to me. Great place, nice and friendly.

Even when you are not staying there, hospitaliera is so nice, and take care fo you if you are in trouble.

On my 3. camino, i'll definitely stay there.

SAN BOL !!!
20/9/2011 I was on the camino to HONTANAS. I knew that in 1km there would be place called SAN BOL. But I didn t see a village, only one small building in the valley. I saw SAN BOL written on the wall so I decided to do a deetour to collect the stamp.
The lady from Cuba asked me if I wanted to stay. She said that I could look around. The place was very nice. I asked if there was a peregrino menu. She replied that she would make a paella. I was sold. Finally 7 ladies and 2 men spend the night in SAN BOL without electricity and even no GSM coverage during the day.
And during my first guard "to protect the females" :D (it was to early to go to bed, so I climbed up the hill to have an overview and waited for the sunset) I heard someone was singing very loud.
I will come back later on this. Just look in a few months for the post "ERIC FROM NEW YORK AT SAN BOL" - videolink. A real GOLDEN moment during the camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,
I am just back from a month on the Camino Frances and wanted to add my favorites (and agree with some of the others on this post):

Orisson: 8 km after SJPP, the tents are very comfortable, and the shared meal is a beautiful start to the walk

Roncesvalles: the newly rennovated albergue is GIANT but 5-star all the way, and Dutch run by former pilgrims (and don't believe them when they say they don't have any blankets - they have a few stashed away for people without a sleeping bag)

Estella Paroquial: hosted by returned pilgrms; they will permit cooking if you include everyone! We had a lovely meal for 30+ on Rosh Shashana, led by our fellow Jewish pilgrims.

Ventosa: the facilities are perhaps the best on the Camino, although sadly the hospitalera was burned out and wasn't happy to be there.

Azofra: said before, 2-bedded rooms; plus use of washing machine for free; showers were a bit dodgy

Burgos Emaus: facilities are even better than Ventosa, with a power point and reading light at each bed, and sparkling clean bathrooms and dorms. Hosted by former pilgrims, with community dinner mandatory (doors closed at 2000 hours!) after the 1930 mass shared with the local community. Way out of the center, but worth it. Maybe stay here your first night in Burgos, take a rest day, then upgrade to my favorite 3-star hotel: La Puebla.

Bercianos del Real Camino: by far the best overall experience. Hospitaleros Daniel and Linda from the USA were exceptional, and the shared dinner with singing that followed was fantastic.

Hospital de Orbigo: artists, be sure to stop here. They have an easel set up in the dining room and all are welcome to create a Camino masterpiece for display on the walls of the albergue. Hosted by former pilgrims with well-equipped kitchen facilities.

La Faba: German run and fantastic. Vegetarians can go to the Vegetarian Albergue for a delicious €10 dinner, or you can cook in the well-equipped kitchen.

Arca do Pino Porta de Santiago: this is the new one, very nice with giant shower heads and comfortable bunks.

Valverde La Casa del Camino: as mentioned before, warm reception and excellent facilities, but it's located directly on the highway and the road noise is deafening - all night long.

All in all, the albergues on the Camino, I think, are quite good. Any given night can be wrecked by an Olympic Snorer, of course. But I think as new albergues open up, the standards are being raised across the board.

Nancy

Jane and I have just returned as well and I have to second what Nancy said:

"Bercianos del Real Camino: by far the best overall experience. Hospitaleros Daniel and Linda from the USA were exceptional, and the shared dinner with singing that followed was fantastic."

Daniel and Linda made our stay there super-special. I think we won the prize for the worst singing group to ever grace their halls. We were the American group that sang our own version of a Glenn Campbell song: "BY THE TIME I GET TO THE ALBERGUE, THEY'LL BE GONE." We also witnessed a beautiful piece of music by Orlando, from Brazil, that same evening, he was fantastic.

The evening meal there was one of the best. After serving salad, we all had to go outside to witness the Bercianos sunset and then come back in to finish the meal. That was different. It was an emotional experience to be standing there with forty other pilgrims silently watching the sunset. The simplicity of it all was very moving.

The albergue itself is an old, two-story, adobe affair. It is extremely old looking and I felt I was staying in a very historic building. In all, Bercianos was really special for us.

Dennis "K1"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The nicest albergue I stayed in was in Arzua - Albergue Via Lactea. It's a private one run by the most amazing folks. They even put roses in the dorms and the loo's and had bowls of sweeties for pilgrims!! Very clean and modern.

The absolute worst one was Albergue Bono (Municipal) in Sarria. I had an awful experience with the hospitalero who was bad-tempered and extremely rude. Definitely one to miss. Plus it was very noisy because of its open design.

Buen Camino
Jane

Trinidad de Arre-I can't believe no one has mentioned this slice of paradise. A beautiful courtyard- the birds sang, the church was open, the water was hot- what more can a pilgrim wish for?
I hear that Tosantos, Granon and Ermita San Nicolas are very nice but missed them due to one thing or another.
The municipal in Burgos depends on what floor you’re on- you either get four beds to a shower, or fifty beds to a shower. Someone else recommended San Saturnino in Ventosa- we were turned away at noon and told that if we wanted a bed then we should have started walking at 3 am.
Someone said that Roncesvalles has blankets for those who don’t have a sleeping bag- I had a silk sleeping sack, begged for blankets on a cold night and nearly froze to death. Lesson learned, I bought a sleeping bag.
Liberamos Domine in Rabe las Calzadas- communal meal cooked by the hospitalera and not shy with passing out the wine- best Tortilla on the Camino, with roasted capsicum… my mouth is watering…
There is also a nice one, I think they are Canons of St Augustine, in Carrion de los Condes (not Santa Clara, which was nice as well- single beds!).
Reliegos- I had hurt my leg and could barely move, much less go upstairs to the dormitory, so the hospitalero put down not one but two mattresses for me to sleep on. He then gave me two pillows for my head- and a pile of blankets to elevate my foot. He also gave my friends permission to eat downstairs to keep me company.
When I got to Santiago I sprung for a hotel room- In Tras de Santa Clara, near the cathedral and shops including a hairdresser who managed for a very reasonable price to make me look like a woman rather than a manky pilgrim.. E17, single room with its own dressing table- shelf, chair, table, heater and 100% control of the window. Unlimited hot water. Blankets. Am I raving? I feel like I’m raving.
The Camino sure makes you appreciate things! Now when I go to do hard things I think, ‘Can I do this? Yes! I walked over the Pyrenees! I can do anything!’
Corina.

If you are up for a bucolic setting after the hustle and bustle of Portomarin , then this little Albergue Xuanta in Eirexe, on your way to Palas de Rei might be something to consider. It is a small, pleasantly stuffy, converted schoolhouse in an enclave of just a few abodes where five country roads meet. There is a giant tree in the middle of the little junction where cows meander freely along the street while you sit on the patio of the one, cafe/restaurant/bar...Cafe Descanso....and watch them come up to drink from the trough right in front of you. If you are lucky, you are sitting with a Camino buddy, and the sun is at a golden low-- in an early evening of the first week of June-- tangled in their hair. And the only intoxicant is the elixer of their company.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but hands down my favorite experience was at the albergue run by the Italian Confraternity of St James at Itero del Castillo, about 10km past Castrojeriz. Small, very clean, the kindest and most warmhearted hospitaleros, wonderful meals included. Donativo. The fellow pilgrims I met there are some of the dearest friends I met on the Camino and who I still stay in contact with. A truly wonderful experience!

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

If nobody mentioned this one ,it is a gem, run by a young couple who lay out a super breakfast. Just 100m past the start of the camino Duro. They do private rooms at 12 Euro a head (double room), free (donativo) internet ,everything clean and new.

Albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/alb ... -la-piedra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The church run albergue in Belorado. definately the best & most peaceful sleep I had the entire journey. Beautiful setting, clean facilities, & personal. Just what u want.
Buen camino perigrino!

There are many places that I would recommend. Two of my favorite ones are:

Casa Peltre in Sarria. It is clean, modern, friendly. I has wonderful showers, a well-supplied kitchen, and breezy courtyard. It is convenient to shops, restaurants, and down town.

Albergue Bercianos. This is one of the oldest albergues we stayed in. What made it so special were the hospitaleros. We had a warm reception, a wonderful meal, a beautiful sunset, and "alegria" a song-fest after the meal.

Granon,

what an amazing night I had there recently. You go up stone steps into the albergue. The men slept on the level with a door from the sleeping area into the suspended choir loft.

The middle level is a communal kitchen with a long table and shared meal. A fireplace is there for dinner.

The upper level is where the women slept.

Higher still, you wash and hang your clothes in the upper part of the church, you can look over the edge and see the upper part of the vaulting of the church. Yep you are hanging up your underpants as you stand on the vaulting of the church.

Michael

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So many to choose from...yet, indeed, there were few that really stood out for me. Granon, as mentioned by many people here, was very authentic. You wouldn't get the best sleep (on the floor) but we all agreed the next day that it was well worth it.

San Bol provided the most magical dinner and evening on my Camino. Tiny place with room for only 12 pilgrims, we gathered from all over the world. We had great dinner prepared for us, wine, candles (there's no electricity), we laughed and talked for hours-- it was a night to remember.

Again, there were many more, but I think part of the fun is to discover little jewels that speak to you-- special villages you walk through and then decide you really want to stay. At the beginning of my Camino, I had my stops and daily destination set in advance. Of course, there are a few places that are worth planning ahead, but I quickly learned to let things flow and see where land. Some of the best experiences came about this way.

Here's a little fun stats post I published, in case it'll give you more insight on places-
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/camino-stats/

Buen Camino!
Michal

--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/category/camino-de-santiago/

I am sure this was a once in a lifetime experience never to be repeated again. We stopped at Castrojeriz and stayed at the Albergue Traditional, a bare bones albergue with hardly any heat (we were walking March/April), hardly any hot water, no toilet seats, etc. But the two hospitaleros invited us to a Quemada and after which one of them sang Amazing Grace. The next morning as we were leaving he went out onto the street with us and started singing Auld Lang Syne in Spanish. A memory we will cherish forever.

En El Camino in Boadilla! Hands down!! Family run-all of them old and young, wonderful people there, great dinner, plus fireplace when its cold. A very very close second was Espiritu Santo in Carrion Carrion de los Condes-no bunk beds!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
He everybody,

My best recollections are the 200 years old albergue in Tosantos and Albergue Emmaus in Burgos (Camino Frances).
I was there on the 21e resp the 22e of may 2007, when I went by bike from my hometown in The Netherlands (near Tilburg in the south) to Santiaco dC.
It was for me such a good and wunderfull experience that I am planning to go this year again.

Now I have a question for some of you. I know that The Albergue Emmaus in Burgos (from Marie-Noëlle) has moved to a new building, but I'm not quite sure about the address. PLease can anybody help me to fill it in, so that I can stay this year again with Marie Noëlle.

Thanks in advance,

Frans
FvNander@xs4all.nl

@Frans_v_N.....

Here is link to an old post by Marniedent regarding th Albergue Emmaus in burgos (live-from-the-camino/topic4122.html). Basically it states "Casa de Peregrinos Emaus has moved and become the Casa Parroquial para peregrinos. Now at C/San Pedro Cardena, 32b Burgos 09002. (On way into Burgos, by the side of the Jesuit College, at the end of C/Diego Luis Vitores.) A Christian welcome with shared meal, Mass, prayer and housework. Open Easter to All Saints." Hope this helps someone!!!

WolverineDG said:
The private albergue in Boadilla. Looks very questionable on the outside, but once inside the walls, it's (almost) paradise. Beautiful green grass with colorful plants all around, a swimming pool (good for dunking sore, hot feet in), incredibly gracious hosts & wonderful food. Ah.

My thoughts exactly.....I loved this place.....paradise ..... My guide book said an artist lived there...and that was enough for me....and he lived up to every thought of what an artist is and should be
F

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bercianos del Real Camino.
Foncebadon "hippie place"
San Juan de Ortega.

Buen Camino!

I would say Hospital de Órbigo (the Parish Shelter or the "Albergue Verde" -this one involved in yoga environment-), Rabanal del Camino ("El Pilar" very familiar and friendly) and Pieros (a little vegetarian shelter).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
out on the camino right now, had some great alburos and some not so great. Depends what you like. I have not especially enjoyed the big munis- although clean and organised I found the busyness and bustle all a bit too much. I LOVED , trinindad de lárre for it´s walled garden and sense of trnaquillity, Eunate, for its small and peaceful atmosphere and lovely hosts. I liked Los Arcos Casa Austria- its buzzy and mellow but spotless and friendly too, I liked San Saturnino at Ventosa this morning too -lovely to wake to quiet gregorian music and have breakfast on the patio. So many nice places. My evolving rule is to look for the smaller ones, it seems to suit me better.

In addition to L'Esprit at the start in SJPdP, two really excellent ones to mention, San Saturnino in Ventosa - and the pilgrim's menu at the (only) San Anton restaurant in the village - and the Acacio & Orietta in Viloria de Rioja.

In the calm and restful environment of Viloria de Rioja you will find the same commitment and dedication to the well being of pilgrim's just like that provided by Huberta and Arno at L'Esprit.

Alright let me ask y'all something. How do you find some of the albergues that seem to be off the beaten path? Or are they all close enough (and well marked) to find without carrying 50 maps?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
MCVet said:
Alright let me ask y'all something. How do you find some of the albergues that seem to be off the beaten path? Or are they all close enough (and well marked) to find without carrying 50 maps?

There are different ways to find them, here are a few ways they happened for me:

1) reading about them here on the forum (La Casa Mágica in Villatuerta, for example)

2) reading about them in a guidebook like John Brierley's (San Saturnino in Ventosa, for example)

3) hearing about a place word of mouth from a pilgrim friend, either one on the road a few days ahead of me (keeping in touch by e-mail, "Hey, you've gotta check out this place when you get here!) or going to a place the following year (Tosantos, for example)

4) being with pilgrim friends who can speak Spanish well enough to talk to the locals and find out how to get to a great place (Hotel Villa de Cacabelos, for example... no way I would have found it on my own, it took me a few minutes to find it again last year, my second time there! same thing with Espiritu Santo in Carrión de los Condes)

5) happening to see a poster or a leaflet on a telephone pole, for a place that looks inviting (Albergue do Sol e da Lua in Fisterra, for example)

6) having stayed at an "I'm never staying here again!" place one year, and being determined to find an alternative the next time around ;) (which is how I ended up at the lovely parrochial albergue in Estella last year)

Mostly, being open to whatever the Camino brings you. There are beautiful surprises along the way, some of them are the unexpected places you'll stay! Enjoy!

Rachel

4) being with pilgrim friends who can speak Spanish well enough to talk to the locals and find out how to get to a great place (Hotel Cacabelos, for example... no way I would have found it on my own, it took me a few minutes to find it again last year, my second time there! same thing with Espiritu Santo in Carrión de los Condes)

Same way I found Hotel Norte y Londres near cathedral in Burgos, good value hotel for room share. For future reference, where exactly is Hotel Cacabelos.

Thanx for your help.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
merrellj said:
4) being with pilgrim friends who can speak Spanish well enough to talk to the locals and find out how to get to a great place (Hotel Villa de Cacabelos, for example... no way I would have found it on my own, it took me a few minutes to find it again last year, my second time there! same thing with Espiritu Santo in Carrión de los Condes)

Same way I found Hotel Norte y Londres near cathedral in Burgos, good value hotel for room share. For future reference, where exactly is Hotel Cacabelos.

Thanx for your help.

You're welcome! I have to say, your question made me laugh out loud, remembering that even a couple of locals we asked for directions seemed not to know anything about the place, and how the downtown streets of Cacabelos are sort of like a spiderweb to me! Trying to describe exactly where it is would be tricky, lucky thing I just found they have a website: http://www.hotelvilladecacabelos.es/conozcanos.php

Basically, on your way into Cacabelos there's a rest area/picnic park on your left, and if you continue on into town, you go past a water fountain on your right, walk down a hill, and into the town proper. I think the street name is Calle de la Cimadevilla, which becomes Calle de Sta Maria at some point. Then if you turn left onto Plaza Mayor, you come to the town centre where the Ayuntamiento is. You'd then turn left onto Avenida de la Constitución and walk a short way. The hotel would be on your right. All of this is before you cross the bridge that leads to the albergue.

Cacabelos is not a huge place, it's just easy to get turned around on the streets that go at angles (I found the same thing near the cathedral in León). Thanks for the recommendation in Burgos!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
tyrrek said:
The one in Boadilla with that lovely, welcoming family springs to mind. I had to smile when I went in the gate and walked through the garden, because it reminded me of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. However, instead of people doing typical pirate things (counting gold, whoring, drinking rum etc), people were doing typical pilgrim things (washing /drying clothes, drinking beer, bursting each others blisters etc.) The food was very nice too.

The first albergue in that village was interesting too. I just stopped at the bar for a beer because I was desperate for one. The guy was trying to steer people away from the larger albergue by saying "The more humans, the less humanity". In that particular case I don't think it was true, but maybe he had a point!

I must have been looking at this thread for over a year, so I dont know how I missed this post :D

tyrrek said:
"The more humans, the less humanity"
I stayed at that albergue at the start of town, I would suggest that the mental formulation he has come up with for assessing people needs a bit of a tweak, ie look at himself first, that would be a better place to start.

Based upon my recently concluded April 2012 Camino:

Special thanks to Beatriz Prada Santamaria/Las Cuevas, Altapuerca; Inma Macias, Angel, Martin and Albert, of Albergue de Peregrino/Navarrete; and Livia, Unai and Conan, of Albergue de la Piedra. Each of you are deserving of the best that life has to offer. Your hospitality sets the standard by which the best of the best should be judged. Please know, that your star shined brightly during our 800 km journey.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm very excited about my upcoming start on the Camino. I'll begin from Burgos in a few short days and am looking for an albergue there. Any comments about ones that are preferred.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards, sonya

people's thoughts about the albergues in Burgos
The municipal is spectacular. You WILL leave on their schedule. Albergue Divina Pastora is a bit full of itself, and probably won't let you stay if you are starting.

Falcon: thanks for the tip on the other Albergue. I arrive in Burgos at around noon and hope this is early enough to get me in the muni Albergue. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Eunate.
Hello Methodist Pilgrim!
re. Albergue de Peregrinos Emaus, Burgos, Parroquia San Jose Obrero, Calle San Pedro Cardena 31, Burgos (slightly off beaten track but in a church).
is this a men only hostel?

Thanks,

Sandra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I echo a lot of the obvious ones here, but would like to add El serbal y La Luna in Pieros. Fantastic, homecooked vegetarian food served around the table with the family. A friendly welcome - all smiles and enthusiasm. One of the best breakfasts on the camino. A comfortable bed in a cosy room, hot showers, and puppies.

What more can anyone want?

(Obviously, you'll hate it... walk on somewhere else so there's a bed free for me.)

Private albergue I can book near Roncesvalles?

Hi
Just wondering if anyone can recommend an albergue near Roncesvalles. I am starting the Camino in St Jean Pied de Port but I want to cycle there from Pamplona but as I don't think I'll be able to leave till after lunch I want to stay somewhere between Pamplona and St Jean PP. As I'll have my bike and it will be the first day out for me I'd like to be able to book a room and know you can't do this in the public albergues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are no non-public albergues, but in the hotel category, about 3 km from Roncesvalles:

Hotel Restaurante Loizu
Calle de San Nicolás, 13, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 08 ‎ · loizu.com

Burguete
Calle de San Nicolás, 71, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 05 ‎ · burguete.es

Juandeaburre
Calle de San Nicolás, 28, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 78 ‎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
rachcarter said:
Hi
Just wondering if anyone can recommend an albergue near Roncesvalles. I am starting the Camino in St Jean Pied de Port but I want to cycle there from Pamplona but as I don't think I'll be able to leave till after lunch I want to stay somewhere between Pamplona and St Jean PP. As I'll have my bike and it will be the first day out for me I'd like to be able to book a room and know you can't do this in the public albergues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rachel,

For a private albergue "somewhere between Pamplona and St Jean PP" you might try Albergue El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri. Their web page is http://www.elpalodeavellano.com. You can reserve in advance and they do an evening meal. Located next to the church at 16 avenida de Roncevalles several small traditional stone structures have been nicely converted into this multilevel space; I stayed there during my last two caminos and it is very pleasant.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Rabanal - the CSJ run albergue - I arrived there at the end of May with an injured foot and the two ladies there were so kind to me. I also left my reading glasses there and they took the trouble to post them to my home in England. I went to Vespers there and to Night Prayer. It was the perfect end to the first half of my camino. When I return in the Autumn I hope to start from there having walked out of Astorga (by which time my foot must have healed!).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nreyn12 said:
La Casa del Camino in Valverde de la Virgen. Owned and run by Zacharías and Pilar.
Thanks,
Nancy
Unfortunately, La Casa del Camino has closed down. We stayed there once again last September and Pilar told us that she would close definitely at the end of October and she has also confirmed this on another Forum.
Anne

annakappa said:
nreyn12 said:
La Casa del Camino in Valverde de la Virgen. Owned and run by Zacharías and Pilar.
Thanks,
Nancy
Unfortunately, La Casa del Camino has closed down. We stayed there once again last September and Pilar told us that she would close definitely at the end of October and she has also confirmed this on another Forum.
Anne
Adrian says that I should make a correction here: actually Pilar most definitely will not be running this Albergue (la Casa del Camino), however that doesn't mean that either Zaccarias, or someone else might have taken over. It's worth making a call there if you are interested in staying there. Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just finished on the 6th of June, and 4 places stand out for me.

La Puerta de Najera in Najera. This is a brand new albergue (like, 3 months old and not in the guidebooks new) and it is gorgeous. Nice rooms, nice beds, nice people, a big kitchen/front area, wifi that works really well, you name it. It's just across the bridge as you come into the old part of town, and head right.

Cuatro Cantones in Belorado. 5 euro for what seemed like an all-inclusive resort. large grassy area with a pool, good wifi (this was always a thing for me :p ), a great dinner for 9 euro more, nice beds, and a separate room for snorers...Of course, I got there on a super hot, sunny day, so the pool and patio was a godsend, and as we sat on the grass drinking wine we all said "camino? what's that?" One person I know liked this place so much he walked the next stage in the morning, taxied back to stay here again, then taxied to where he stopped walking the next day!

Another vote for El Serbal y La Luna in Pieros. Make sure you ask the owner about the name of the hostel, it's such a sweet story. What she said:
I echo a lot of the obvious ones here, but would like to add El serbal y La Luna in Pieros. Fantastic, homecooked vegetarian food served around the table with the family. A friendly welcome - all smiles and enthusiasm. One of the best breakfasts on the camino. A comfortable bed in a cosy room, hot showers, and puppies.

What more can anyone want?

(Obviously, you'll hate it... walk on somewhere else so there's a bed free for me.)

Finally, many have said it, but La Faba is not to be missed. One of the most peaceful nights on the camino. Fortunately, if you stop at Pieros the night before, La Faba is a manageable walk!

Hi the one I would never miss is the Alburgue maralotx in Cirauqui. What a wonderful welcome after Peunta la reina was full and bustling.I would recommend the extra 7km walk to get to this nice village and great place.

Just returned home on June 10th.

Loved Alburgue san Miguel in Hospital de Orbiga. Greeted at the door with a glass of wine, wonderfully clean, great kitchen and washing facilities, beautifully decorated.

The Alburgue in Ruitlan. Run by two wonderful gentleman who cooked us a scrumptious meal of squash soup, mixed salad, spaghetti carbonara and homemade custard. Woken up in the morning to Ava Maria, served a wonderful breakfast. All for the price of 15 euros.

And finally, Pension Arca. we loved it, 26 euros for a double room, but I felt like I was in my own home. This place is immaculate, wonderful host, great kitchen, back garden, and the rooms were wonderful. Oh it was so nice to sleep in crisp clean sheets. Our host even booked us a hotel for our arrival in santiago. I think this was my favourite.

The Albergue in Foncebadon (last one on right up hill), & Ave Fenix in Villafranca.
Both are hippy type, very friendly & spiritual. The meals at both Albergues were fantastic. We all introduced oursleves & sang a song each. The company was truly wonderful.

Completely agree with Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Miguel and Simone are wonderful hosts, La Bodeguina de Mercadoira about 5 kms before is Portomarin is a perfect place to stay if you are tired of crowds. It has a beautiful view and terrace. I stayed in Santa Irene the night before I arrived in Santiago, it is in a very pleasant setting and Santiago is an easy walk from there plus you can avoid having to stay in Arca o Pino and Monte do Gozo that way. The municipal in Santa Irene is being remodeled and therefore closed but it should be a good place to stay in the future since I believe it is run by the same group that operates the large aubergue in Astorga.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Private albergue as you walk into Santa Irene, one day before Santiago. It sleeps about 15 people. I was with three others and we secured the upstairs dormer with four beds. It was the sweetest place ever and reminded us of where Snow White would have stayed with her dwarfs. One of my friends said he expected to see Bambi walking through the field toward the back garden! LOL! The young gals who ran it were very sweet indeed. After getting my shower I fell asleep on the couch in the parlor listening to Chopin. At night, a lovely homemade dinner with other pilgrims on white table cloths. In the morning, the same for breakfast. What a beautiful way to be sent off to Santiago! - M :arrow:

diverdavey said:
... Ave Fenix in Villafranca.
Both are hippy type, very friendly & spiritual. The meals at both Albergues were fantastic. We all introduced oursleves & sang a song each. The company was truly wonderful.
Ave Fenix was a disaster when I stayed two years ago. The spirituality was still going strong and loud at 2.30 in the morning, aided I suspect by a more tangible spirit. Several of us at various stages asked for quiet, but one of the hospitaleros was party to the whole thing, and just ignored our requests.

I have it in my approach only if necessary category for my next Camino.

Regards,

I forgot the name of the actual alburgue, but it was in San Xulia! It was super small and the host looked like a Galician Arvo Pärt, and cooked the most delicious dinner we had the whole Camino! It is a true Camino experience, nothing in the town but a small church and the alburgue, and your fellow peregrinos. I'd also recommend Pilar's in Rabanal for a more lively atmosphere, but also a great host family, although I hear they are selling so get there quick.

€83,-
well the albergue i would say that cannot be missed would be a small albergue run by an old man in navarrette. its a beautiful little town and the church nearby is very nice. the rooms are okay because usually there aren't many people in the albergue.

Keon12 said:
well the albergue i would say that cannot be missed would be a small albergue run by an old man in navarrette. its a beautiful little town and the church nearby is very nice. the rooms are okay because usually there aren't many people in the albergue.

Maybe Angel and Martin, of Albergue de Peregrino/Navarrete.

Just completed my third Camino and stayed at an albergue I would say is one of the best I have stayed in. It was a little holiday while on the camino. At Hospital De Orbigo, Albergue Verde, which is off the track a few hundred metre offers a tranquility and peace not often found on the journey. The cuisine offered was vegetarian, which was just lovely; they had their own organic garden, a massage shower, hammocks and a real sense of calm. There was no set time to depart, and as we arrived at 3pm, the previous pilgrims were just checking out. That gave us a hint of how welcoming the experience would be. A breath of fresh air.

The albergue choice in Hospital de Orbigo is tough. The German confraternity operates one that is very nice and restful, but with some aging equipment. The courtyard is a work of art. It is open all year. Besides the Albergue Verde there is the private San Miguel that makes everyone's favorite list. It is open April through October, similar to the Albergue Verde. A few kilometers further in Villares de Orbigo is a relatively new one that also gets rave reviews, and is open all year except a couple of holiday weeks. The enthusiastic hospitaleros renovated their inherited family home into a very nice place.

Trout soup is the regional speciality. Try it!

Definitely the municipal albergue at Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Beautiful facilities, but above all, incredible treatment from the hospitaleros. Felt really welcomed.

Hi folks,
I just finished the Frances and I would say Gronon and Tosantos shouldn't be missed.
Also the new one in Ferreiros is great and the village has a lovely bar for some cold ones after the day !

Nascarfan said:
Hi the one I would never miss is the Alburgue maralotx in Cirauqui. What a wonderful welcome after Peunta la reina was full and bustling.I would recommend the extra 7km walk to get to this nice village and great place.
Yep , overlooking the church square - much character - well worth the few euros extra - not as comercial as some others - nice church just opposite that offers a service each evening - small but good supermacado - owner's husband owns the bar and will cook a splendid pilgrims meal at a reasonable price .......sound like an advert :)

For me it's the "Albergue La Cabaña del abuelo Peuto" owned by Padre Ernesto in Güemes (Cantabira) just before Santander, on the Northern Way. Very nice welcome and very nice food as well (home-made arroz con leche and "all that you can eat" paëlla). My best souvenir on the Camino (and I walked 2,000 km !).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Juliec55 said:
The Alburgue in Ruitlan. Run by two wonderful gentleman who cooked us a scrumptious meal of squash soup, mixed salad, spaghetti carbonara and homemade custard. Woken up in the morning to Ava Maria, served a wonderful breakfast. All for the price of 15 euros.

Was scrolling down with the intention of mentioning Ruitelan. Lovely experience. Probably overlooked as a potential stop because of it's location between Villafranca del Bierzo and O Cebreiro. I really enjoyed the wonderful communal evening meal and breakfast and, yes, waking up to lovely music in the morning.

Agree with other posts re: En El Camino, Bercianos, Foncebadon.

One more to add - the private albergue in Zariquiegui, shortly before Alto de Perdon. Very comfortable, welcoming and a lovely communal evening meal.

I don't know when my next Camino will be, but this post has me chomping at the bit (over and above my usual chomping! :) )

Guacelmo in Rabanal. Tremendous hospitality, quaint.
Casa Domingo near San Xulian. Beautiful setting, nice facilities, best community dinner

Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo - How has no one mentioned this one!? They have a communal evening meal with fresh vegetables from their garden and they have one of those fancy a spa massage showers. The hospitaleros sing a song before dinner! There were others that I liked, but this one was my favorite by far (I ended up staying here a couple of days). They also have free wifi and hammocks.

€83,-
I was wondering if someone could help me with this. In The Way, they show them staying at this really cool place. It looks like the beds are outside, in a walkway that opens out into a courtyard. It's just after Tom meets the priest. Does anyone know where this is? I'd love to stay there.

My favorite was the one in Sarria - go to the top of the stairs - keep heading up the route - top of the hill past a small open square to the left (go past this -it is only a reference point) and it is up one more street on the left.

The bar on the square is awesome -the proprietor is a trip!!!

The Alberque is the same - It has a foot bath and a fireplace and is really nice for the "young at heart" walking a "Vino Camino."

Frank

Verde Albergue in Hospital de Orbigos....great hippie communal caritas and veggie cooking!
Casa de Magica in Villatuarte is really wonderful with a home cooked paella and fun garden space.

We stayed in our first parochial (parish church-run) albergue in Estella - and it was such a positive experience that we specifically planned the rest of our stages to hit as many as we could. We heard fantastic things about the one in Azofra... though it was closed when we arrived, so we stayed in the municipal which is also very nice. We did, however, stay in the parochial albergues in Grañon, Vilena, and Tosantos, and I can´t recommend them enough. They are all donativo, most include a communal dinner and breakfast, and usually some mini excursion led by the parish priest after dinner. (Often through some unassuming passageway into a dark choir loft for a candlelit prayer service... but in Tosantos you get to climb up to an old chapel built into the cliff.)

jeffnd said:
I was wondering if someone could help me with this. In The Way, they show them staying at this really cool place. It looks like the beds are outside, in a walkway that opens out into a courtyard. It's just after Tom meets the priest. Does anyone know where this is? I'd love to stay there.

I wondered where that was too! On the commentary on the DVD, Emilio states that they created this in the cloister in the monastery at Irache! So, sadly, it is not a real albergue, although I heard that they might put an albergue into the monastery in the future.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I enjoyed the parochial albergue in Estella as well. The hospitalero greeted everyone with a cold class of water and was just wonderful. The facility lacks some of the amenities of the others, but I liked the small size (it wasn't full either when I stayed there in September). I met some wonderful people and we had a great communal dinner cooked by the matriarch of an Italian family that was also spending the night.

I also especially enjoyed my stay at Albergue Jakule in Puenta la Reina and the new albergue in Fillaboa. The restaurant next door in Fillaboa also had some of the best food I had while I was in Spain. The woman who ran the place was just amazing. She was friendly and funny and courteous and personable. Her husband did the cooking, and he was quite talented. I would often joke with some of the people who I ate with there that we should just taxi back to their restaurant for all of our meals.

Another albergue worth mentioning is Via Trajana in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Many people avoid the route through the countryside, but this albergue had one of the most diverse menus I had ever seen and the people who ran the place were also wonderful. The rooms and baths were also modern and comfortable.

This is my favorite albergue. It had been a long, hot walk. It didn't look like much outside, but this is what I saw as I walked through the gate. They would not stamp the credentials or take money before they showed you ur bed and you rested and had a drink.

A needed break for the mind, body and spirit!!

Attachments

• phpJKufRiAM.jpg
    phpJKufRiAM.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 5,926
lhlyda said:
This is my favorite albergue. It had been a long, hot walk. It didn't look like much outside, but this is what I saw as I walked through the gate. They would not stamp the credentials or take money before they showed you ur bed and you rested and had a drink.
Yes, I loved that one too. My daughter and I walked in the cold, windy, rainy spring of 2012, and often said of the albergues, "This must be really nice in summer!" Nice to see by your picture that it was really true!

Just back from the Camino and I want to add two albergues to my favorites list:

1. Cirauqui - perfect facilities, delicious meal, and gracious host in a sweet, small village up on a hill

2. Pieros - an oasis for vegetarians with community meal, super comfortable facilities, much needed heating in the rooms, and a large salon to unwind in. Well worth the extra 2 kms. after Cacabelos.

CaminoJohn said:
jeffnd said:

I wondered where that was too! On the commentary on the DVD, Emilio states that they created this in the cloister in the monastery at Irache! So, sadly, it is not a real albergue, although I heard that they might put an albergue into the monastery in the future.

Aw, that's too bad. :( Are there any rustic type places to stay for real?

Casa Banderas, which is just three kms before Portomarin. It is new as it opened in April this year, but you will find the most amazing South African hospitality there, with the warmest welcome on the Camino. It is almost like being at home. It has all the facilities, and the most comfortable bed bunks and the best shower on the entire camino, and they do an evening meal.

€60,-
Totally agree about Casa Banderas ! Best night of the camino... :D

jeffnd said:
CaminoJohn said:
jeffnd said:

Aw, that's too bad. :( Are there any rustic type places to stay for real?

Try San Anton, just before Castrojeriz, a ruined monastery with no electricity.
Or Ermita de San Nicholas just after Castrojeriz, again no electricity, but singing and feet washing ! These two are only open in the summer months I believe.
Buen camino

lhlyda said:
So much a favorite of mine that I was telling other pilgrims weeks before the time that this was THE albergue NOT to miss - when I eventually got there myself , Edwardo thanked me for all my promoting of En El Camino and even started refering to me as his manager. - te he. :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPP, Colegiata de Roncesvalles, El Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan, Albergue Parroquial in Granon, Tosantos and Itero del Castillo, La Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Reboleira in Fonfria , Albergue O Abrigadoiro in San Xulian do Camino.....All of these were so special......Absolutely great!!!!

Albergue Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo really stood out for me. Also Roncesvalles, which has already been mentioned, which was nice and memorable partially as our first albergue of the hike. Also enjoyed the big Albergue Casa Santo in Santo Domingo de Calzada. Can't beat on-site mystical chickens...

I think the most comfortable Albergue I stayed in was the Casa del Santo in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Large, clean and modern with outstanding facilities, even had a foot specialist on hand. Cool town also.

An amazing thread and very helpful to a rookie who will complete the Camino Frances next year. In reading through the various replies and trying to match it to a listing of albergues a few questions come to mind. Welcome any and all clarification.

Santa Domingo de la Calzada - mentioned a number of times. I have 3 albergues: one on San Millan, Abadia Cisterciense de la Assunsion - Calle Mayor 29 and Casa de la Confradia del Santo - Calle Mayor 42

Burgos - mentioned a number of times. ..."modern comfort", "municipal albergue...even individual reading lights...each set of 4 beds has shower". I have 3 albergues: Casa del Cubo - Calle Fenan Gonzalez 28, Casa Parraquial - Calle San Pedor Cadena 32, Santiago y Santa Catalina - Calle Lain Calvo 10

Triacastela - "A few houses near river..." I have 6 albergues: Xunta de Galicia, Aiteza - Plaza viste Alegre 1, Del Oribio - Calle Avenid de Castilla 20, Berce do Camino - Calle Camil Jose Cela 11, Centro rural Complexo Xacobeo - Calle Luis Cadorniga Carro 8, Albergue de peregrinos de Calvor

Ages - "Rafael owner". I have 3 albergues: San Rafael, El Pajar de Ages, Albergue Municipal

Foncebadon - "Mystique Hippie Place", "Albergue on left...cooked paella". I have 2 Albergues: Domus Dei, Monte Irago

Ligonde - "Small albergue I loved...". I have 2 albergues:" Escuela de Ligonde, Fuente del PeregrinoEspinosa del Camino - "Pepe's". I have 2 albergues: La Campana, Albergue privado el Corro

Astorga - "Municipal". I have 4 albergues: Siervas de Maria - Plaza San Francisco 3, San Javier - Calle Porteria 6, Camino y Via - Carretera de Leon 64, Albergue de Astorga - Plaza de los Marqueses

Boadilla del Camino - "welcoming family springs to mind...reminded me of Pirates of Caribbean ride". I have 3 albergues: Albergue de Perigrinos de Boadilla - Calle Escuelas, En el Camino - Plaza del Royo, Putzu - Calle las Bodegas 9

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Guy

I also enjoyed Albergue Puente Fitero in Itero de la Vega. Family run with a good Bar/Restaurant attached. Semi private rooms, very clean and good banos and a Deli. Just a good place.

The municipal albergue in Muxia was great. It might have just been my state of mind but I thought "They've kept the best til last". Apart from being modern and purpose built, it was managed by a very lovely and friendly lady for whom nothing was problem. I did also enjoy all of the really old converted buildings along the way though. The older, the more character.

GuyA said:
Foncebadon - "Mystique Hippie Place", "Albergue on left...cooked paella". I have 2 Albergues: Domus Dei, Monte Irago

That would be Monte Irago. Awesome pilgrim dinner and they make some flaming liquor after dinner, too. I slept up in the top floor area, like an attic, on a mattress on the floor. Very comfortable. There is also a dorm room on the second floor. Could of course have just been the group there at the time, but it was a very friendly place, welcoming and comfortable. With a raging fire going at all times (it was very foggy, rainy and cold when I was there) and nuts to roast. Very good place!

Hi ,
Yes, Monte Irago is not to be missed. It's wierd really that elsewhere on the forum it's mentioned as being one to avoid ! ! We had a lovely time there.
En El Camino is definitely the one you want in Boadilla, very special, and has been highly praised on this forum.
Buen camino,
Helen

they make some flaming liquor after dinner, too.
That is the queimada. The hospitalero has done one when I was in the Santibanez albergue, Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo, and the Hostal Victoria in Samos. I have heard that you can pay for one in O Cebreiro at a couple of the restaurants.

I have stayed in three albergues in Foncebadon, and all were good. I tried to stay at the new one, but it was closed both times slightly out of high season. I presume it is open in the popular months, but I like the places that are not cherry picking the tourist season, so probably will return to one of the three others.

One more that really stands out for me is albergue Paloma y Lena at San Mamed just before Sarria.
Paloma and Lena know about all the little things that make such a difference, like enough clothes pegs, driers, little racks on the top bunks to hold stuff, enough electric sockets. They also cooked a wonderful vegetarian supper. The grounds and communal areas were beautiful, and clean.

I recently read an article saying that the Eunate albergue has closed permanently. I can't seem to find the article again for the life of me, so I'm interested to know if others have heard this news also. There is no longer a page on Eroski for this albergue. Can anyone confirm that the albergue has indeed closed?

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back