• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one luxury or non-essential item you would bring with you?

Haven't heard this one mentioned yet. True luxury: A tiny container of Lush Pink Peppermint Foot Cream. Not enough to use daily, but allowed me the occasional "Ahhhhhhh"
A little goes a long way.
To me, a good peppermint foot balm is essential! :)

Is that a 50mm on a full frame body? If so, sounds great! On a DX body I'd go for the 35mm or wider. But yes, the one lens--sounds great! Have fun![/QUO

Haha...don't know anything about real cameras...my camera is my phone...

Ditto! I want to bring my kindle and my camera but am trying to figure out if I should bring just one. I have a feeling I'll end up with both!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took an old, well-worn cotton pillow case and used it every night.

Next time I am taking a US size hand towel to use after showering as the camping towel I used on my first Camino felt terrible. I did not find any small towels for sale in Spanish stores, just big ones. I might throw it way after 2 showers, but I think it will be worth it. If it doesn't dry overnight I'll hang it on my pack.

I am having the same conversation with myself. Not just the body - but how many lenses? And what about tripods... Have talked myself down to body, 50mm prime, and polarized filter. I figure I can clip it to the front of my pack while walking, and bring a light weight satchel for when I settle in for the night.

Now I just have to decide if the e-reader and sketch book come too.
If I walked with a camera what I would being is a wide angle.

Haven't heard this one mentioned yet. True luxury: A tiny container of Lush Pink Peppermint Foot Cream. Not enough to use daily, but allowed me the occasional "Ahhhhhhh"
A little goes a long way.
I mixed peppermint essencial oil il my vaseline tube. Ahhh every morning before putting my socks on, and only a few grams more for the ahhh.

What is your reason for the silk pillowcase? I have one and wasn't sure about bringing it. I'll be sleeping in a sleeping bag. Thanks!
Sheets and pillowcases are not always washed daily in albergues, so if you rely on the pillow case they provide you will be sleeping on someone else's bodily secretions: think caughing, sweating, sneezing...

A question for those who have walked (or cycled that matter) before me
Something I have been pondering of late: I like to cook, and share, and I have herb and spice containers - very small - sort of a wheel configuration with separate sections for various dried herbs and blends. I would imagine that the communal kitchens in albergues are pretty basic and I thought it might come in handy when assisting in the preparation of meals.

What think you?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've seen a couple of people mentioning peppermint foot balm and peppermint oil. Would rubbing the feet with Kendal Mint Cake work just as well? Not the chocolate coated variety obviously.... :)
(scurries off to find out what a Kendal Mint Cake happens to be :) I think I would have to search stores that carry imported sweets to find it in my neck of the woods.

Now, a visit to Wikipedia has educated me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal_Mint_Cake

and I found this particular bit of history:

Kendal Mint Cake is based on a traditional recipe known as mint cake, peppermint tablet and various other similar names.[1] Kendal Mint Cake is well known to mountaineers and explorers for its high energy content.[2] There are currently two companies that still produce Kendal mint cake in Kendal. The origin of the Mint cake is allegedly from a batch of Peppermint creams that went wrong. The mixture was left overnight and the solidified 'mint cake' was discovered in the morning.[3]

Created by a fortuitous mistake, and lives on as an energy source: that could be quite useful on long treks.

As for your original question, I haven't a clue. :)

Something I have been pondering of late: I like to cook, and share, and I have herb and spice containers - very small - sort of a wheel configuration with separate sections for various dried herbs and blends. I would imagine that the communal kitchens in albergues are pretty basic and I thought it might come in handy when assisting in the preparation of meals.

What think you?
Lots of left over herbs/spice containers in albergues. Leave yours at home.

I think rubbing Kendal Mint Cake into your feet will sort out any problems you have with vicious dogs on the trail.
Imagine melting 1k of pure sugar and then adding 1k of sugar to it.......that's Kendal Mint Cake! :eek:

I've seen a couple of people mentioning peppermint foot balm and peppermint oil. Would rubbing the feet with Kendal Mint Cake work just as well? Not the chocolate coated variety obviously.... :)

I would prefer to rub it on my feet rather than having to eat the stuff. It is horrible!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

What think you?

I think it is a great idea as long as you have the room. I have never seen spices in an albergue kitchen other than maybe salt and pepper.

What think you?

I don't but then I don't usually cook on the Camino (makes a change from every day at home ;):D ).
I walked with a lovely pilgrim who did all her own cooking and yes, she carried every type of herbs/seasonings etc. in her rucksack. If the extra weight is negligible and doesn't bother you, I suggest you bring it ...as long as you're fairly certain that you WILL use it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Romney's 'Everest' Kendal mint cake, for those unfamiliar with it, is so sugary and pepperminty it causes an instant headache and tooth pain. Even sniffing it makes your nose hurt. It's a kind of smelling salt for altitude sickness.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm only the second pilgrim to mention a heating coil! Caffeine first thing in the morning is essential... especially if I'm leaving in the dark with the flashlight brigade!

Can't believe I'm only the second pilgrim to mention a heating coil! Caffeine first thing in the morning is essential... especially if I'm leaving in the dark with the flashlight brigade!
Lots of posts over the years about heating coils. Use the search function and you will see them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...I have inherited the ugliest troll that has graced her luggage since 1981!! Boris will be my non essential companion on all my trips, including the Camino....

Photo please!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My second mobile phone - loaded with all the same apps and e-books as my main phone. Both use the same charger and USB cable. That way I can lie on my bunk or sit in the shade happily reading on phone A while phone B is charging at the one available power socket which so often is at the far end of the room.

Don't know if it will work for you but we have a couple of these. You can use your phone while it's charging. It's portable and quick to recharge when you get to a PowerPoint.

https://tinyurl.com/l3jgbct

heating coils were quite lively in another thread, having to do with the Camino Portugues, or the Nord, I think. They have proven to be invaluable, on those routes as apparently they are not as rich in amenities. as the Frances.

Ah! here it is!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't know that you could have your eyelashes permed!
We can here in Australia Trecile although not all Beauty Therapists do this treatment. It also works great for a Summer Beach Holiday

You'll quickly realize you don't need stuff. I didn't take any luxury items (if you consider a mobile phone necessary), hell... I even posted my sunglasses back home, but when I do it again, I'll definitely take a pillow case.

Second camino, I took half of flat sheet to use on bed. I tore sheet I was least likely to use again: flannel with XMAS theme. Every time Catholic priest, who happened to live across Central park from me, saw sheet he'd worble " Frosty the Snowman".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the jury is in. I will have to pack Mascara and some lipstick. ANd my beard trimmer of course. Having said that you will probably be able to regonize me en route!;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well maybe not like that. They say "clothes make the man" maybe it is the same for Trolls. He needs a little hiking outfit. Maybe dress him up in traditional pilgrim garb? (Or at least a loin cloth!)

Thanks Mike. I have some time to be able to make Boris travel ready!!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Arnica cream for the calves, mascara, moisturiser and Ancient Minerals Magnesium oil to rub on my legs each morning before walking. Loosens the muscles!

For me a beard trimmer, rechargeable. About 250 gm (small). With the sweating all day shaving would result in raw or rashly skin. With a trimmer, I won't walk out the far end looking like Santa Claus either nor will I have to go through the itchy beard growing phase while hiking.

P.S. This forum is different than the one essential item forum, which is an invaluable resource... this one is about the non essential but wonderful stuff you could pack that would make your trip better.

Good question. Is a Solar phone charger a good idea? Just an extra battery? I am going in May and will leave behind my laptop, iPad, and Kindle...but I feel compelled to bring my phone for hotel reservations, weather reports, etc., etc...

Compeed plasters for feet and ear plugs are a must.they may not seem like luxury items now but they will after a few days I promise.

I wrote this article of 15 things to consider bringing, based on a survey I sent out. Some might consider them luxury items, but I don't think they are...

https://traveldejavu.com/15-things-people-forget-tell-pack-camino-de-santiago/

My blog: www.buenqamino.com
Interesting list. A few things I would definitely not bring. I don't see any good reason to bring a second silk liner. You aren't getting dirty while you sleep. If you want to wash your liner and or sleeping bag periodically there are plenty of albergues with washers and dryers to make quick work of it. I never ran into a pilgrim that went weeks without washing clothes.

I think that the only spray that might be effective against killing bed bugs on your bunk is DEET, and I certainly wouldn't want to smell that all night. Essential oils have been proven to be pretty much worthless.

Wet wipes are pretty heavy, so I would leave those at home.

Siracha might be a welcome addition to the pilgrim meal. I was tempted to take some Tajin seasoning last year.

Waterproof socks, pants, etc., would depend on the time of year that you walk. I've walked in the summer/fall, and have had no need for anything other than my 7.2 ounce homemade "parcho", which zips up the front, has sleeves and covers my pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.