• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one luxury or non-essential item you would bring with you?

copado

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Fall or 2013 Spring
For me a beard trimmer, rechargeable. About 250 gm (small). With the sweating all day shaving would result in raw or rashly skin. With a trimmer, I won't walk out the far end looking like Santa Claus either nor will I have to go through the itchy beard growing phase while hiking.

P.S. This forum is different than the one essential item forum, which is an invaluable resource... this one is about the non essential but wonderful stuff you could pack that would make your trip better.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excusez moi!

********** hands free hiking brolley, surely? ;)

Nope, EUROSCHIRM. I like being told off.

Plus Ivar sells them, and I like to support my favourite forum. Honest.

But back on topic, last year I carried a beer cooler. For five months. Wasn't very useful in December though.

Oh, and I carried a guidebook for the Via de la Plata too. But I was on the Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo. Not much use but enjoyed the look on pilgrims faces when I got it out and explained I was lost and asked them which is the way to Salamanca.

Nope, EUROSCHIRM. I like being told off.

Plus Ivar sells them, and I like to support my favourite forum. Honest.

But back on topic, last year I carried a beer cooler. For five months. Wasn't very useful in December though.

Oh, and I carried a guidebook for the Via de la Plata too. But I was on the Frances/San Salvador/Primitivo. Not much use but enjoyed the look on pilgrims faces when I got it out and explained I was lost and asked them which is the way to Salamanca.
If my husband were able to come, he would carry a pair of *******(speedos) and a beer cooler!

On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!!

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, my father's favorite dessert, was a large toy which long ago I gave to him for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo has stayed on his shelf at home and we mentally 'tweeted' as I walked.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!!

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo has stayed on his shelf at home and we mentally 'tweeted' as I walked.
I think Mo and Tigger would be 'besties'!

I bring a silk doona cover (made by my sister from the most gorgeous patterned silk you have ever seen in your life) for my unzipped sleeping bag or homemade blanket (depending on season). AND a single/twin fitted sheet, not silk but microfibre that is virtually as light as silk. It was part of a set bought from the local wonderfully bizarre everything shop for $5.99. When the only personal space you have on the camino is your bunk bed then making it beautiful and cosy is worth the extra couple of 100 grams.

Without doubt, thermos and heating coil ( and nestles condensed coffee milk tubes or, 3 in one coffees sachets!) Worth every extra gram. Debated taking these, but it is so much a feature of any hike,excursion, training walk we do, it was a no-brainer as a nostalgic inclusion. Whilst we were otherwise good customers in the bars en route for coffers and snacks, sitting down in nature wherever we were positioned approx. 2 hours after setting out each morning, was something to be savoured, provoking some great conversations/interactions/ banter with fellow pilgrims

Prompted by @Pud I'm going to double dip without apology. I always pack a few coffee bags and a small amount of green tea leaves. The coffee bags taste, sort off, almost as good as the wonderful real coffee that is served across Spain so are only used on those occassional mornings when no alternative is available. One or two green tea leaves in the bottom of a cup filled with boiled water is used at any opportunity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My second mobile phone - loaded with all the same apps and e-books as my main phone. Both use the same charger and USB cable. That way I can lie on my bunk or sit in the shade happily reading on phone A while phone B is charging at the one available power socket which so often is at the far end of the room.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Euroschrimm umbrellas is no more a luxury than an Altus or rain pants. It automatically gets packed. Neither is a pillowcase: basic hygene as far as I'm concerned.

My luxury is perfume in tiny, 1ml, sample size bottles. 1 lasts me 10 days. Makes me feel human after a shower.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm wanting to bring my DSLR camera but am unsure about the unwanted weight.. I'm an avid photographer and am really not interested in having my phone on me the entire trip to take photos. I'm beginning in mid-April, anyone gone with a heavy camera like that before?

I'm wanting to bring my DSLR camera but am unsure about the unwanted weight.. I'm an avid photographer and am really not interested in having my phone on me the entire trip to take photos. I'm beginning in mid-April, anyone gone with a heavy camera like that before?

Yes I have met quite a few. Only a few said they regretted it. If you are happy carrying it then take it!

My paperweight Kindle. I read all the time. It is how I put myself to sleep - and I can use it in the dark and not disturb anyone. I can sit out in the sun and read. And my iPod. There are days when I think that if I hear the sound of my own feet tromping the ground for another second I will lose my mind. I have it loaded with my favorite classical music so that my thoughts aren't interrupted. Cetaphyl face wipes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. . . And my iPod. There are days when I think that if I hear the sound of my own feet tromping the ground for another second I will lose my mind. I have it loaded with my favorite classical music so that my thoughts aren't interrupted. Cetaphyl face wipes.

That is the beauty of age (or is it having children) I lost my mind years ago. It used to wander then one day it just up and left. I do love classical music though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I won't travel with plain flip flops / jandals. Only ones with beads, sequins and plastic jewels will do.
Hopefully all those little jewels etc. are sewn on, otherwise I'd think the hot water in the showers would melt the "pretties" right off the flip flops!

I took a real camera and didnt find it that heavy. Then again, weight was relative for us because we were carrying so much already. One adult could only carry the baby (35 pounds with pack). THen the other 2 adults had to split the stuff for all four people + diapers + all the toys and momentos people kept insisting on giving us because we had a baby (talk about non-essential items that you don't have the nerve to get rid of!) :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me a beard trimmer, rechargeable. About 250 gm (small). With the sweating all day shaving would result in raw or rashly skin. With a trimmer, I won't walk out the far end looking like Santa Claus either nor will I have to go through the itchy beard growing phase while hiking.

P.S. This forum is different than the one essential item forum, which is an invaluable resource... this one is about the non essential but wonderful stuff you could pack that would make your trip better.
My spiky massage ball is coming this time...not essential, but my feet will thank me!

Attachments

• DF7B0911-DBB4-4409-B407-AFD545C2DE60.jpg
    DF7B0911-DBB4-4409-B407-AFD545C2DE60.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 6

one woman whose account I read brought a small bottle of VitaBath for here after walk shower. One day when she found she had left it in the albergue she (briefly) considered walking back 18 km to retrieve it.

For me, though, it would have to be tea. A cup of good tea after my shower is a thing of joy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My grandfathers hat
Yes I know a hat is sort of essensial but this one has a history
He was a stock agent and very religious
Just before his death he asked us all to attend church more often but that wasn't to be for us
Just before my last Camino I thought he would appreciate me wearing it as I walked so it went with me
As I near my next Camino in May I am trying to decide on a more practical hat or Papas old stock hat still havent made up my mind yet
My other luxury item is my wife
my lovely lady and best friend will be walking with me from saint jean to Santiago but this is so far out of her comfort zone I am a little concerned if she will enjoy it
So if you see a pretty and brightly dressed women with a scruffy man following her that will be us starting on the 5th of May it will be a challenge but I am so glad she agreed to join me

I once hiked in New Zealand with some Israelis who brought the normal saucepans from the hostel kitchen, and a whole bottle of washing up liquid. They were so tough from the army, it was nothing to them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bring a silk doona cover (made by my sister from the most gorgeous patterned silk you have ever seen in your life) for my unzipped sleeping bag or homemade blanket (depending on season). AND a single/twin fitted sheet, not silk but microfibre that is virtually as light as silk. It was part of a set bought from the local wonderfully bizarre everything shop for $5.99. When the only personal space you have on the camino is your bunk bed then making it beautiful and cosy is worth the extra couple of 100 grams.
That's exactly what I do too! I buy that same lightweight twin size sheet set in a pretty pattern from our local Dollar Store for $5.50 US. I only bring the bottom sheet and the pillowcase. I do spray the bottom sheet with permathrin, along with the outside of my sleeping bag.

I am bringing a tablet and charger when I start next week. I noticed the question a few months back from a pilgrim asking about taking his Ipad was met with much negativity so didn't offer a comment - but for me, my Camino is part of a 6-month world trip and I will use it to blog, as a journal and kindle for those rest days when I need some time out. I expect not many others do the same but I'm happy to make the sacrifice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am bringing a tablet and charger when I start next week. I noticed the question a few months back from a pilgrim asking about taking his Ipad was met with much negativity so didn't offer a comment - but for me, my Camino is part of a 6-month world trip and I will use it to blog, as a journal and kindle for those rest days when I need some time out. I expect not many others do the same but I'm happy to make the sacrifice!
Have a wonderful world trip. When going away for 6 months, I'd say you should bring exactly the things that make you the happiest!

My husband came on my first camino, but it was an absolute disaster (the camino is not for everyone), so now he stays home and sticks pins in my teddy bear :eek:
My husband is meeting my two sons and myself in Santiago after our six week pilgrimage and is already worrying about his two day walk between Muxia and Finesterre! He says he may need to take a taxi!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

€60,-
I bring my flannel pajamas. The granny ones, two piece. Worn but not enough to be see thru, just to that comfort level. This time the grandkids have bought a special pair for me to take. I can't open them until the first night on the camino.
So if you see a little old lady with two piece flannel Minions or Frozen pajamas, you know it's me.
Save the applause until I leave the room.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are bringing an ultralight camping stove and a titanium cup which can be used for drinking or heating soup. The weight is split between the two of us. We plan to use it on those long haul days on the Primitivo.

€46,-
I wouldn't say I'm an ultra light packer by any means, but I do prescribe to the less is more philosophy. But we all have our "luxury" items. For me, it's an ENO hammock. It's a portable hammock system that rolls up to about the size of a large grapefruit. I throw one into my backpack no matter where I'm traveling to. And I definitely plan to do so when I go to Spain to walk the Camino de Santiago. It'd be nice to have the option to sleep under the Spanish stars some nights.

I wouldn't say I'm an ultra light packer by any means, but I do prescribe to the less is more philosophy. But we all have our "luxury" items. For me, it's an ENO hammock. It's a portable hammock system that rolls up to about the size of a large grapefruit. I throw one into my backpack no matter where I'm traveling to. And I definitely plan to do so when I go to Spain to walk the Camino de Santiago. It'd be nice to have the option to sleep under the Spanish stars some nights.
It might be difficult finding two trees for your hammock, especially on the Meseta!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It might be difficult finding two trees for your hammock, especially on the Meseta!

Oh...this I know. I couldn't use it on long stretches like the Meseta for sure. But I'm pretty creative. I've hung my hammock in places without trees. I don't expect to be able to use it most of the time, but I guess that's why I consider it a luxury item. :)

I don't bring a beard trimmer! But I do bring a silk extra long pillowcase that I made.

Oh dear, this is only the second entry and now I'm nervous to read any more. Thankful I don't need a beard trimmer (the legs and underarms will have to let their freak flag fly), but an extra-long silk pillowcase sounds good!

I'm thinking about bringing my favorite red lipstick (see picture). Haven't weighed pack yet.

There are plenty of trees along the meseta, in the villages. Almost every town has a "plantillo," a green place with trees and usually a couple of picnic tables or a spring. Pilgrims traditionally bunk there. I wish more of them would take their trash a few yards to the next trash container....
Some of them use hammocks. I have to wonder at that "hammock system," it sounds terrifically scientific and complicated. If what you have is a net bed that strings up between two uprights, I think most of us would just call it a "hammock.,," But not anymore. Lately, what once were "shoes and socks" are now "footwear systems." "Glasses" are "eyewear." A water bottle belt is a "hydration system." A headband is "perspiration management."
WTH.

There are plenty of trees along the meseta, in the villages. Almost every town has a "plantillo," a green place with trees and usually a couple of picnic tables or a spring. Pilgrims traditionally bunk there. I wish more of them would take their trash a few yards to the next trash container....
Some of them use hammocks. I have to wonder at that "hammock system," it sounds terrifically scientific and complicated. If what you have is a net bed that strings up between two uprights, I think most of us would just call it a "hammock.,," But not anymore. Lately, what once were "shoes and socks" are now "footwear systems." "Glasses" are "eyewear." A water bottle belt is a "hydration system." A headband is "perspiration management."
WTH.

And a paper fan is "a manual, personal acclimatization device" (I invented that one myself)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Move over moose.:D
I don't know if I'd go that far, but the list of bling was pretty random. I didn't include it the first time because Ive posted it before (another thread), but it seems fitting:

1) At least 20 chupa chups (Spanish suckers). We think more.
2) 3 different times he was given an entire bag manzinetas (a name we invented), kind of like a baby puff.
3) A walking cane in O'Cereibro
4) A Scallop shell from Finessstarre
5) A pilgrim's cross necklace that was found on the ground by another peregrino (he felt it was divine intervention)
6) A stuffed dog which we named Estella (after the city)
7) A stuffed polar bear that played Christmas music
8) A fancy white-chocolate sucker
9) twice he was given free bowls of ice cream
10) On one occasion he was greeted by the cafe owner with two beers (we assume they were for us?)
11) Milk for his bottle (whenever we tried to buy some from a bar, they always insisted we take it for free).
12) A miniature lobster pot with lid (to quote the shop owner in broken English, "babies like to go bang bang")

And most of these gifts came from Spaniards, mostly shopowners. One guy at a shop turned away other customers so that he could spend more time with the baby. He made it on several facebook pages for stores and hotels and bars (advertising that he had been there). It really was (and is) insane.

My lovely dog

I bring my flannel pajamas. The granny ones, two piece. Worn but not enough to be see thru, just to that comfort level. This time the grandkids have bought a special pair for me to take. I can't open them until the first night on the camino.
So if you see a little old lady with two piece flannel Minions or Frozen pajamas, you know it's me.
Save the applause until I leave the room.
I love Minions. My shower scrubby is a crocheted Minion. Tiny, but does the job.

I carried a heavy 10" tablet with separate folding bluetooth keyboard on the 1st camino, but upgraded to much lighter 8" tablet with bluetooth keyboard built into the cover for the next two caminos. Plastic suction cup hooks to hang clothes, bags or other on bathroom or shower walls. My wife carried three different 0.75 oz rubs; a sore foot rub, a sore joint rub and a sore muscle rub. She slathered her lower legs and feet with these three rubs every evening. We shared lavender sleep balm, which we put just a smear under our nose each night for a better, deeper sleep. Non essential, but won't do another camino without all of these.

an extra-long silk pillowcase sounds good!

Spanish pillows are a very specific long and thin sausage shape. I mused over the mystery of this for years, until a wise young Italian man told me 'it's a divan thing' - the penny dropped: Al Andalus! And the word for pillow is Arabic too - almohada.

Does anyone know the dimensions in case someone wants to make one? There's nothing worse than a pillow case that's too short.....

Spanish pillows are a very specific long and thin sausage shape. I mused over the mystery of this for years, until a wise young Italian man told me 'it's a divan thing' - the penny dropped: Al Andalus! And the word for pillow is Arabic too - almohada.

Does anyone know the dimensions in case someone wants to make one? There's nothing worse than a pillow case that's too short.....
I just cut the closed end of a pillow case and slide the Spanish pillow in it, leaving the sides uncovered, but the center, where my head lies, covered. If you really want to sew, try 40cm high by 90-100cm long, the width of a Spanish single bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am having the same conversation with myself. Not just the body - but how many lenses? And what about tripods... Have talked myself down to body, 50mm prime, and polarized filter. I figure I can clip it to the front of my pack while walking, and bring a light weight satchel for when I settle in for the night.

Now I just have to decide if the e-reader and sketch book come too.

Just looked it up and whoa, who knew? - Spanish pillows come is a variety of lengths to fit the BED! How divan is that?
A couple of the private rooms I stayed in in pensiones/hostales had double beds with a single pillow that spanned the width of the bed. Fortunately, I was alone. That arrangement wouldn't suit my husband and me very well, as we both like different types of pillows, and like to "smoosh" them up into a comfortable position.

I am having the same conversation with myself. Not just the body - but how many lenses? And what about tripods... Have talked myself down to body, 50mm prime, and polarized filter. I figure I can clip it to the front of my pack while walking, and bring a light weight satchel for when I settle in for the night.

Now I just have to decide if the e-reader and sketch book come too.
Ditto! I want to bring my kindle and my camera but am trying to figure out if I should bring just one. I have a feeling I'll end up with both!

E-reader pondering @twirl90 and @Northern Laurie - I never have time for reading on a camino. Just saying. Always busy or asleep. Maybe make a fresh post on the Equipment forum and ask a few other people.
I brought my small Kindle Fire tablet. Used it about once, and it stayed in my backpack the rest of the Camino. Will leave it behind next time. If I want to read, I can read on my phone.

I brought my small Kindle Fire tablet. Used it about once, and it stayed in my backpack the rest of the Camino. Will leave it behind next time. If I want to read, I can read on my phone.
the more things you have that can perform "double duty", the better off you are.

The half-liter "Thermos- Ultra Insulation"(300 grams empty) keeps temperature very well.
After 3 days in my pack last December (-3 to 4 degrees C in Korea), the water inside was still warm (around 40 C).

It is still under deliberation. The plan is to carry half a liter each of cool and hot water instead of the 2 half-liters of cool water for a total of 1 Kilogram.
I prefer warm water sometimes.

one must always be properly accessorized.

I may have skipped a shower and am likely wearing the same unwashed clothes as yesterday, but I will be wearing earrings and a scarf.

I'm not a barbarian. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Haven't heard this one mentioned yet. True luxury: A tiny container of Lush Pink Peppermint Foot Cream. Not enough to use daily, but allowed me the occasional "Ahhhhhhh"
A little goes a long way.

I took my tablet, with keyboard. Between chargers and waterproofing etc it added 4 pounds to my pack. I do not regret one ounce. I captured over 50000 words while on the trail. It is probably a good start on a book, but mostly I did it to capture my feelings along the way. By having a keyboard I was able to type quickly (I type pretty quick) and captured a lot more than I would have if all I had was my thumbs on a phone.

My Kindle! (although I'm not sure reading qualifies as a luxury thing to do)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met two Englishmen on the camino who had brought quite a big bag of Kendal Mint Cake. They gave every, in their eyes, noteworthy pilgrim one, complete with detailed reasoning for receiving the cake during an impromptu and preferably public speech. Awesome.

Last edited:
My mother was an avid traveler with only 2 places left on her bucket list. A devastating accident on her 2nd last trip in Iceland has ended her days of tripping around the globe. I have inherited the ugliest troll that has graced her luggage since 1981!! Boris will be my non essential companion on all my trips, including the Camino.
Thanks everyone for your posts. I have had lots of laughs!!

I don't bring a beard trimmer! But I do bring a silk extra long pillowcase that I made.

What is your reason for the silk pillowcase? I have one and wasn't sure about bringing it. I'll be sleeping in a sleeping bag. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.