• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the situation in camino?

alesgaba

Have anybody some information about situation in Camino Frances (Ponferrada - Santiago Compostella)? What the Albergues and way? It is overcrowding? I going to start on June 26th from Ponferrada. I am little bit afraid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We'll be starting the camino in Sarria on monday, i'll post the lastest news on the scene when we get there and start; already i heard that alot of pilgrims are sleeping everwhere that they can find shelter (doorways, homes and even on the streets) and that the albergues are filling up early, i also heard that it was raining hard last week? 1200 pilgrims arrived in Santiago last saturday, and that the line at the cathedral was a couple of hours long; that must mean everytown along the way must be filled up and very busy.
i'll try and post some info here with some pics too asap.
Buen camino
mario

Be prepared to be very, very flexible about where you sleep. You are choosing to travel at what is likely close to the busiest time this camino has had for a few hundred years. Check out the site - http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/ - and you will see how many pilgrims are arriving each day in Santiago de Compostela. (1396 today)
Note that most albergues have room for 20 - 60 people although some communities have more than one and in addition are being very creative about finding extra places where people can sleep. Having said that, of course no one owes any individual a bed or a place to sleep any more than any of us owe a bed to someone who chooses to walk through our community.
Many people seem to believe that 'the camino provides'. I can't say I agree totally but I'd say the chances are much better if you are very flexible. Someone mentioned a story from a couple of thousand years ago where a family was traveling and there was no place at the Inn so they had to stay in a stable ...
Buen camino
Cecelia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What about firs half of Camino Frances - from SJPDP to Fromista? I guess there is a lot of people.
But - is it so much people as in the last part? (from Ponferrada to Santiago)?

Thank you for your answers.

Hi everyone,
Just arrived in Santiago de Compostela! And here´s the lastest update. We started in Sarria (night train from Madrid), very crowded with pilgrims everywhere so we started to the first albergue for the first night. Most albergues are filling up within 1 hour, and they open at 1pm. So plan your walking by starting very early in the morning about 5 to 530am to allow time to arrive. The Sellos (stamps) are everywhere: bars, restaurants and albergues. When we arrived last tuesday it was raining, now its hot and sunny, bring a good light jacket for the morning and afternoon good shade hat. All the public albergues had good kitchens, showers, bathrooms, laundry tub/line, were clean and cheap 5 euros. Be mentally prepared for some of the walks were up hard hills and thru muddy/watery paths (look for paths that go around), and allow for rest time/lunch and extra weight for carrying drinking water. We only took 1 extra shirt and shorts, and every night washed them at the albergue. The albergue gave us sheets/pillowcase everynight, so we only used a light fleece sleeping blanket, big pillows are included on the bed. There are light cafe´s along the route thru towns for sandwiches and coffee.
Youre going to make friends with all the Pilgrims and walkers along the route, so bring some business cards with your email and contact info if you want to keep in touch, You´ve gone thru so much with them you share a bond!
When we arrived in Santiago, it´s very crowded with pilgrims all around the church. Get to the pilgrims office (opens at 9, we waited only 20 minutes) first, then try for the noon Mass (get in around 1030 and wait), there are tons of buses tour groups invading the church everywhere, so plan to get in early! The entry for the mass is the first entrance on the right of the church.
Hugging the Saint was especially moving after the Pilgrimage for me!
We´re in a internet cafe 2 blocks aways, pilgrim watching!
Have a Buen Camino!
Mario

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All,

Going through my last preparations as will be leaving for SJPP next Friday, July 2nd.

As I will be walking the first section (where ever 3 weeks leads me) have been also wondering how busy the Camino is from SJPP to Astorga. Is there anyone with up-to-date info?

Still not planning on taking sleeping bag. Is this foolish?

Tks for any suggestions/information.

Cheers,
LT

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A comment on not taking a sleeping bag in july.

One crosses 3 heights of land when walking from SJPP to O'Cebreiro
The Pyrenees
Cruz de Ferro just past Rabanal.
O'Cebreiro

Based on past weather information, I think someone could stay warm most nights sleeping with just a "hostel sheet" (A sheet folded in half and sewn up on two sides) But it could be cool at the 3 heights of land. Also, this has been a cool, wet spring in all of Europe. Will it continue that way? I don't know.

David, Victoria, Canada.

LTfit said:
Hi All,

Going through my last preparations as will be leaving for SJPP next Friday, July 2nd.

As I will be walking the first section (where ever 3 weeks leads me) have been also wondering how busy the Camino is from SJPP to Astorga. Is there anyone with up-to-date info?

Still not planning on taking sleeping bag. Is this foolish?

Tks for any suggestions/information.

Cheers,
LT

I would recommend a sleeping bag. Last year I walked the first half of the camino. 2 times we had to sleep in a gym and 2 times outside. All 4 times were cold. This year the road will be a lot busier so the chance that you have to sleep outside i big. This year I will take a small tent plus sleeping bag.

I'm not planning to run the camino and don't want to feel rushed in search of a bed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Things are still pretty OK for finding a bed on the Frances right up til the Sarria mark, and then all bets are off.

This is the perfect time and weather to be walking the first 75% of the camino: wildflowers blooming, cloudless summer skies, abundant fresh fruit and vegetables in the markets... and desperate innkeepers out on the trails hustling for pilgrims to fill the beds!

Sitting in Belorado as I type. Left a not crowded Santo Domingo de las calzada last night. New faces everywhere though (started in StJPP) If you are in time, when arriving here, be sure to stay at the association albergue. Walk past the Cistercian Abbey and walk into a 5 star Albergue. Incredible! We found out too late. I couldn´t believe the facilities there. One of our group up and changed from the abbey, so we went in to check it out. Can not even begin to describe it.

It was very hot today. We will start by 6¨15 tomorrow for sure. No fountains working for the last 10K. Parched upon arrival. We are staying at Cuatro Cantones. Lovely albergue with lovely hosts and a pool. Belorado not crowded, I´ve heard that many move onto Tosantos in order to spend extra time in Burgos.
What else? Sleeping sheet fine so far. Wore clothes when freezing in Roncevalles and Larrasoaña. Have been fine ever since.

Will try to post again tomorrow!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back