• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your 2nd footwear item?

S

sjf

I've seen a lot of posts about packing a second pair of shoes. It seems hiking sandals, crocs, shower flip-flops, even running shoes are popular choices.

I'm going in October, and I'll use a pair of trail running shoes for daily walking, but I don't know what to take for the evenings, showers, if my shoes get really wet...

What's most useful on the Camino? What do you carry when your main hiking boots/shoes are on your feet?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always brought a pair of chacos. They have the arch support I need for walking around after walking, and they can go into the shower. The main problem is that they're really heavy. This year I bought a lighter pair of Chacos, and even though their arch support is less firm, they were fine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I take an inexpensive pair of black sandals made from lightweight "crock-like" plastic material. Extremely lightweight but much better looking.:) They are great in the shower and worn with or without socks. They are no special brand and not the prettiest for evenings, but on the Camino I'm not looking my best anyway! o_O

I prefer Keens I have walked the Francis three times in them as reserves but due to fine weather I have worn the m for most of the journey and I have never had a blister with them, I can say no more

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Crocs. Great in the shower, soft and comfortable for walking around in the evenings, good for wading, and mine give enough support for walking a few kilometres when I have a threatening blister. And they weigh very little. They take up quite a lot of room, but my backpacks are big enough.

I travel before and after and don't like looking like a hobo in the cities. So I take a super light pair of ballet flats/Tom's and lightweight Tevas/flip flops in addition to whatever I'm hiking in. For hiking, usually 3 tops, 2 bottoms plus one dress for evening/cities. 3-4 socks, 3-4 undies. Winter gear is heavier, practical and no dressy stuff. Rain jacket/pants. Toiletries. Cell and charger.

I lighten up in other areas like the pack weight, electronics, etc. I weigh everything and take the lightest shirts, etc. So it all evens out.

Sport Sandal made by Northside, style "Santa Cruz" light, strong, inexpensive. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

It’s worth noting that you may spend more of your 'waking hours' in your ‘second’ pair of shoes so think about what will be appropriate.
Some days you’ll spend hours doing ‘wanders’ around town so consider your level of comfort. The time of year you’re walking also plays a part (ie can you wear socks with them if it’s cold) Fashion goes out the window ;) so don’t worry about the socks-and-sandals dilemna.

I took Tevalite sandals, really worked for me, I even needed to alternate between them and my walking shoes, for the shower I had some really light weight flip flops.

My second pair of shoes will be moccasins -- not the heavy/clunky everybody-can-have-them hardsoled Minnetonka "moccasins", but the real ones that my friend has made for me from moose-hide and deerskin. They fit my feet perfectly, they're even lighter than Crocs or sandals, and they pack very-very-flat.

At the end of the day they make additional walking a pleasure. Well, not really, but you get my point. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing - just one pair of trail runners - I wear them everyday at home - they dry very quickly - and my evening walking only needs to get to the nearest supermarket and back; - if forced to bring an extra pair for indoors, maybe Muji travel slippers

Keens Uneeks

I have always brought a pair of chacos. They have the arch support I need for walking around after walking, and they can go into the shower. The main problem is that they're really heavy. This year I bought a lighter pair of Chacos, and even though their arch support is less firm, they were fine

Yes, I love my Chacos, which are heavy but ended up being my main walking shoes last year!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Crocs flips

Minimalist Crocs. Really light and easy to hang on the outside of your pack to slip on at lunch stops to give your feet a break
upload_2017-7-12_9-25-16.png

Plastic scuffs. Ultralight. 125 g for the pair so half the weight of crocs and not as bulky. Comfortable to wear around albergue and town.

What are these?
From an Asian bargain shop in Sydney. They cost a couple of dollars. They've done one camino Frances and look like they have another one in them. I walked in very comfortable trail runners so did not use the scuffs for walking just in the evenings and around the albergues.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    900.1 KB · Views: 67
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From an Asian bargain shop in Sydney. They cost a couple of dollars. They've done one camino Frances and look like they have another one in them. I walked in very comfortable trail runners so did not use the scuffs for walking just in the evenings and around the albergues.
Faux Crocs slip-ons. Thank you for the photo.

Xero Shoes Z Trail
My xero sandals are super wonderful, like walking barefoot, wear them all the time at home. They just didn't have the arch support I needed when I wore my pack.

If I am in a situation where I need a second shoe for 2 or 3 miles the xeros wouldn't work for me.

Faux Crocs slip-ons. Thank you for the photo.
Hmmm perhaps Crocs copied these? :D:D:D I've had them for several years, well before Crocs did their version of a scuff. Though have to admit they are nowhere near as well made as Crocs. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it means they are lighter as well as being only 10% of the cost. Plus they lasted me 800 kms and look like they have another 800 in them. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took Tevalite sandals, really worked for me, I even needed to alternate between them and my walking shoes, for the shower I had some really light weight flip flops.
The only problem with Tevas were that they were very heavy and made my feet stink! I have very lightweight Crocs with a fabric top and the rubberised sole.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used Sketchers Go Walks too (a different style). They were brilliant, so light and they looked good too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've seen a lot of posts about packing a second pair of shoes. It seems hiking sandals, crocs, shower flip-flops, even running shoes are popular choices.

I'm going in October, and I'll use a pair of trail running shoes for daily walking, but I don't know what to take for the evenings, showers, if my shoes get really wet...

What's most useful on the Camino? What do you carry when your main hiking boots/shoes are on your feet?
Teva Hurricane XLT's for me. Loved them.

5985429B-79A7-471D-96A7-D32CE8288717-3862-000004E617798768.jpeg
I wore Vibram™ 5 finger shoes
when my boots were off.

They were light but the soles were sturdy enough to replace my boots in an emergency.

Good conversation starter in the albergue too.

-jason

It’s worth noting that you may spend more of your 'waking hours' in your ‘second’ pair of shoes so think about what will be appropriate.
Some days you’ll spend hours doing ‘wanders’ around town so consider your level of comfort. The time of year you’re walking also plays a part (ie can you wear socks with them if it’s cold) Fashion goes out the window ;) so don’t worry about the socks-and-sandals dilemna.
"Socks and sandals dilemma?" Holy cow! I really do have no fashion sense.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Croc's have worked well for me. In 2015 when my feet blew up on the Meseta, I walked a entire day in my Croc's with double socks and they worked perfectly. Different pressure points than my boots, so they did not aggravate my blisters. A day later I bought a pair of runners and threw away my boots.
My boots were replaced by a pair of Merrel trail shoes which have given me two blister free Camino's. Will never wear boots for long distance walking again. Lesson learned.

Keen walking sandals. Change into them for the last third of every walking day. Then wear them out in the evening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They take up quite a lot of room
That can be mitigated. If I carry my crocs inside my pack, I stuff them with my smaller items and use one as carrier for any pointy/sharp items (tomato knife, nail file, etc.). Then I put each of them into a plastic bag, before placing them separately in the bag. By not treating them as one item, I can pack them better.
At other times, I strap them to the outside of the pack

My boots were replaced by a pair of Merrel trail shoes which have given me two blister free Camino's. Will never wear boots for long distance walking again. Lesson learned.
Friend of mine learned another lesson. She was wearing Merrels on the Inglés and had to give up before reaching Hospital de Bruma, because of the many stones on the trail. The thin soles meant that she got crushings and her feet felt like someone had been beating on them with mallets - which matches the experience of quite a few who have tried walking in Vibram Fivefingers.
(I love my Fivefingers, but they are definitely not for stony trails).

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine learned another lesson. She was wearing Merrels on the Inglés and had to give up before reaching Hospital de Bruma, because of the many stomes on the trail. The thin soles meant that she got crushings and her feet felt like someone had been beating on them with mallets - which matches the experience of quite a few who have tried walking in Vibram Fivefingers.
(I love my Fivefingers, but they are definitely not for stony trails).

I will grant boots would be handy on a few rocky sections of the Camino. But on balance, the rocky sections are few, so I would take my Merrels over boots as I want foot ware appropriate for 85% of the trail conditions, versus boots which are probably better for the other 15% of conditions faced on the routes on average. I see more people with foot issues caused by hiking boots, than not.

I will grant boots would be handy on a few rocky sections of the Camino. But on balance, the rocky sections are few, so I would take my Merrels over boots as I want foot ware appropriate for 85% of the trail conditions, versus boots which are probably better for the other 15% of conditions faced on the routes on average. I see more people with foot issues caused by hiking boots, than not.
There are some people, including me, who need boots to protect old injuries from further harm.

There are some people, including me, who need boots to protect old injuries from further harm.
While I previously was under the misconception that I preferred walking in trainers, my feet have made it clear, that I'm to wear boots. Period! Or else!
And they were right! My favorite footwear for walking, is now a pair of very comfortable all-leather boots with Vibram soles.

I always carry a pair of croqs but I also bring a pair of trainers that could be used as well on the trail and in the evening.
I was on the Frances end of october last year and the meseta was muddy. Glad I brought the extra shoes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Absolutely!! But, in talking generalities, the exceptions never define the 'rule'. For the majority of people, lighter trail runners (most have sufficient rockplates in the sole to keep from feeling rocks and debris underfoot) or trail shoes are a better option. The technologies keep changing to make long-distance walking and backpacking less burdensome and more comfortable :)

I prefer Keens I have walked the Francis three times in them as reserves but due to fine weather I have worn the m for most of the journey and I have never had a blister with them, I can say no more
Rector, are these Keen hiking boots, shoes, or sandals? Thank you. Headed that way in May 2018 as first timer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I walk in Brooks running shoes. But I never give advice on shoes, except--you must know that they work for you. You must have walked in them enough. Having said that, I walk in lightweight Brooks running shoes. My second pair is a pair of gortex treated running shoes that serve as my second pair. I change into them as soon as shower and wear for the evening. Then if it rains, I wear them in the rain. They will keep your feet dry in a rain--if you aren't walking through deep puddles (in that case probably nothing will). But again, shoes are such a personal choice. On the Camino I've seen everything from heavy hiking boots to sandals. Even one guy walking barefoot the whole way.

Hiking sandels twice (from England so the sock thing is part of everyday, summer, life)

Crocs twice, comfy but bulky, almost did a prat fall walking/sliding over Cesare Borgia's (wet) memorial stone - dangerous when wet!

Last year a low cost pair of Sketcher-like slip ons; memory foam sole, squidge down flat, trodden down back - bliss after a long, hot slog.

Rector, are these Keen hiking boots, shoes, or sandals? Thank you. Headed that way in May 2018 as first timer.
Keen Newports I hope that helps you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With size 10.5 feet, I have one pair of size 12 ASAICS with gels for comfort walking on dry days.
I go with size 12 water-proof Columbias for rainy days.
The extra pair go on the outside of my pack.
I always have a dry pair and I always have a pair that isn't muddy. And I can switch back and forth for blister prevention.
I go bigger for a half size for thick alpaca socks and a full size bigger for my feet to swell.

Very interesting point that. I take crocs as they are very light, and weight is is of paramount importance to me. However, I do not find crocs all that secure/comfortable to walk in, even for relatively short distances around town after the days serious walking is done. I always feel my feet are slipping around. I am thinking now that it is because I have hitherto worn them sans socks...
Consequently, please keep an eye out on the Camino Portuguese this September for the daggy (Aust, UK: 'naff', US: no idea) chap sipping a beer in the evenings sporting shorts, Crocs and hiking socks.

Open Teva's. They're great, just did a 15k practice walk with them this weekend (on pavement).

I virtually live in Birkenstock Arizona sandals, so was delighted to find the EVA version weigh half as much. They'll probably not last a lifetime, but they a are my second-pair-of-choice for my second Camino Frances in October this year.

"Socks and sandals dilemma?" Holy cow! I really do have no fashion sense.
A simple case of mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ;)

When I wear sandals (which is almost never) I always wear socks. The tops of my feet are scarred - never mind how - and I'm a bit self-conscious.

Last edited:
Last year used telic z-straps, will use again this year. Very light, very comfortable, lighter than crocs. My other shoes are trail runners

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Beaded flip flops from Accessorize. I do also have some knockoff-crocs for more challenging hikes involving wading rivers. If I am going out for longer evening explores, I just put my boots back on.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.