• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your Backpack size for a Summer (May-Oct) Camino on the CF?

How large is your Backpack for a Summer Camino on the Frances? Capacity in Litres.

• under 20 L

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 20.1 - 25 L

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 25.1 - 30 L

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 30.1 - 35 L

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • 35.1 - 40 L

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • 40.1 - 45 L

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • 45.1 - 50 L

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • 50.1 - 55 L

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 55.1 - 60L

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Over 60 L

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Another Poll that might help new members. This time to assess backpack size. Of course backpack size depends on many things!

And Backpacks are a very personal choice.

The size will be dictated by amongst other things:
  1. Your body size. Larger people = larger clothes = more pack space required.
  2. The time of year you are travelling (hot/cold) and hence the need for warmer/bulkier clothes.
  3. If you walk hot or cold. In April/May I just walk in a shirt, but many others have three layers on.
  4. If you sleep hot/cold. Many will make do with a liner, whilst others will want a sleeping bag.
But I'm sure the poll will provide some interesting results. The more responses the better!

To try and compare Apples with Apples, please only respond with your backpack size for the Camino Frances in Summer. Shall we call this loosely May to October?
i.e. Winter would require a lot more heavier clothing. And maybe a larger pack.

Please include additional pouches / compartments. i.e. a 50+10 L pack is a 60 L pack.

It will be interesting to see where the 'sweet spot' is :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 55l pack is definitely an outlier. I have always walked in early spring--and anyway, have particular clothing constraints that make anything less than 45L impossible. So even in summer that's what I'll be using.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mine is a Lowe Alpine 35/45 lt although I have to say fully loaded I didn't fill more than 35 lt and I did take a few items that were never used. I guess the extra 10 its is for security, you always worry (or I did) that you haven't packed enough. I was thinking how can I get away with just one change of clothes, well trust me you can, just remember the camino is not a fashion parade. Mind you some of the people I met didn't know that.

Gregory Jade 50, sized for women, but it's actually 55L because size Medium instead of Small. I've used it on five Camino Francés walks, in June, July, August, September, and October. I love it.

My pack is an Exos 48 but it isn't a good example as I could use a much smaller one walking in Summer on the Camino francés.
My other pack is a Tempest 20 for day walks at home and that would be too small.
I just don't see the need to buy a size in-between as I'm very happy with my backpacks :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Something to think about -- I have the same backpack, summer, fall, whatever. SO unless you want to buy something smaller for the summer, it makes sense to use what you have (if it is comfortable) and don't overpack. I have the ULA Ohm 2.0 and it is great for me. Using the expansion possibilities it could carry more than I would on the Camino, but I appreciate the extra space for some other uses.

After my last CF (SJPdP-SDC July-August), no rain and no cold weather? I could have gotten away with a 30L pack. Maybe even a 25L.

I carry a 50 +10 but have never filled it, anything over a 40L is overkill for a male and 35L for the ladies.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It might be nice to see the average, but without knowing what an individual's weight was, there is the prospect that the key relationship between body weight and pack weight is not underscored. Put simply, pack weight is closely related to body weight, and the heavier one is, the more one's gear weighs and that will require more volume.

Of course, body weight is not the only variable here. @Robo has tried to control for season, but others like your own resilience are more difficult.

So all in all, I hope no-one takes this sort of poll as anything but the most general indication of what someone who could be quite different carried.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
20ltr for me. I have everything I need for 6 weeks and probably longer.

I have a 32L. All my camino gear fits with room to spare. I'm keeping the weight, without food/water, to 11 lbs. I don't weight much and am older and slower.

€149,-
I have a 26L Osprey for this June. It's big enough to fit a change of clothes, gore-tex, sleep sack, med kit, snacks, and other essential items (grooming kit, map, iPad, sandals, towel) without a ton of room left over. I think the dry weight (no food or water) is about 4kg.

I would love to see the packing lists of those walking with a 30l. or less who walk in April & May and again September & October, especially those walking on the mountainous routes. Thank you.

Here you go Anemone.

My packing list for 6 weeks September/October the last couple years.
Packing%20list_zpsugilzccg.jpg

To this I add two bottles of water plus snacks. Everything is inside the pack, nothing hanging or dangling. 2015 I wore out one pair of shoes and bought a second pair in Leon and carried both pair for the next month. I can't tell the difference really between a 10-14lb pack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you @Mike Savage ,

You are bringing a lot of small items I don't bring, and yet I get to 8kg. Will have to review my list carefully. No sleeping bag? Mind you, my quilt only weighs a pound.

Yes I do have my sleeping bag listed. It is a Sea to Summit Traveler and weighs 14.8oz so it is probably just like your quilt but with a zipper.

Yes I do have my sleeping bag listed. It is a Sea to Summit Traveler and weighs 14.8oz so it is probably just like your quilt but with a zipper.
I need to create a spreadsheet like yours and compare. Thank you Mike.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Surprisingly to see the spread of results on the poll.....
My guess is because May and October are very different than July and August, and because there are those using mochileros sending their real bag ahead, carrying a day bag.

My pack includes a rain poncho, laundry soap and a couple of other light weight items. And not a lot of the electronics you carry - and it still weighs more.
The pack is 1 lb heavier.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
20ltr for me. I have everything I need for 6 weeks and probably longer.

Again, wow! We carry same weight but had never thought of using my smaller pack. (300g lighter). I'm off in a few days' time, will try it to see if it all fits in.

Edited to say: it does! Woohoo!

Thanks Mike!

Last edited:
How does the pack sit? Away from your shoulders?
I could go smaller but really need the weight on my hips.
Very comfy. Has loads of possible adjustments including the spine length so you can adjust the effective position of the waist strap.

Another Poll that might help new members. This time to assess backpack size. Of course backpack size depends on many things!

And Backpacks are a very personal choice.

The size will be dictated by amongst other things:
  1. Your body size. Larger people = larger clothes = more pack space required.
  2. The time of year you are travelling (hot/cold) and hence the need for warmer/bulkier clothes.
  3. If you walk hot or cold. In April/May I just walk in a shirt, but many others have three layers on.
  4. If you sleep hot/cold. Many will make do with a liner, whilst others will want a sleeping bag.
But I'm sure the poll will provide some interesting results. The more responses the better!

To try and compare Apples with Apples, please only respond with your backpack size for the Camino Frances in Summer. Shall we call this loosely May to October?
i.e. Winter would require a lot more heavier clothing. And maybe a larger pack.

Please include additional pouches / compartments. i.e. a 50+10 L pack is a 60 L pack.

It will be interesting to see where the 'sweet spot' is :)
I believe anything more than 40L would be too much. I took a 40 and it worked really well, including room for small gifts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe anything more than 40L would be too much. I took a 40 and it worked really well, including room for small gifts.

I tend to agree Bob. But there again.........we are all different ;)

And what we deem essential to take with us varies too! Perhaps the more Caminos we walk, the less we tend to take, as we 'let go' and learn to make do with what we have......

Of course some people need more space for Meds, medical equipment, religious 'uniforms' of various types....and a dozen other reasons I'm sure.

The Poll was merely to see if there was a 'sweet spot' based on the experience of others, which may assist newcomers to assess their pack 'capacity' needs.

If I've fallen in love with a 60L pack and yet most people seem to use a 35L pack, it might cause me to think before I buy ;)

We seem to be getting a rather broad 'sweet spot' between 30 and 50 L capacity. Which may at least indicate a couple of things:

1st. If you are much under 30L you are doing really well in terms of travelling light.
2nd. If you are much over 50L perhaps you could double check your packing list and take some weight off your feet?

Or lastly........it might merely indicate that we all tend to fall in love with a certain pack and don't worry too much what size it is :D

I tend to agree Bob. But there again.........we are all different ;)

And what we deem essential to take with us varies too! Perhaps the more Caminos we walk, the less we tend to take, as we 'let go' and learn to make do with what we have......

Of course some people need more space for Meds, medical equipment, religious 'uniforms' of various types....and a dozen other reasons I'm sure.

The Poll was merely to see if there was a 'sweet spot' based on the experience of others, which may assist newcomers to assess their pack 'capacity' needs.

If I've fallen in love with a 60L pack and yet most people seem to use a 35L pack, it might cause me to think before I buy ;)

We seem to be getting a rather broad 'sweet spot' between 30 and 50 L capacity. Which may at least indicate a couple of things:

1st. If you are much under 30L you are doing really well in terms of travelling light.
2nd. If you are much over 50L perhaps you could double check your packing list and take some weight off your feet?

Or lastly........it might merely indicate that we all tend to fall in love with a certain pack and don't worry too much what size it is :D
All great points Robo !

(...)

(...)

I put all my stuff (for about 230km's walking this April) into my 20L pack. Brilliant, I thought, it all fits with some room to spare....
But.... it doesn't feel comfortable :confused:
So in it all went into my trusted 48L and....what a difference. Feels like second skin. Tightened a few straps et voilà.

So folks, choosing the smallest (and lightest) pack doesn't always work, at least it doesn't for me. As often repeated here, go with what is most comfortable :)

I put all my stuff (for about 230km's walking this April) into my 20L pack. Brilliant, I thought, it all fits with some room to spare....
So in it all went into my trusted 48L and....what a difference. Feels like second skin. Tightened a few straps et voilà.

So folks, choosing the smallest (and lightest) pack doesn't always work, at least it doesn't for me. As often repeated here, go with what is most comfortable :)
I'm glad it worked...........Sounds like making a 5 pound burrito in a 1 pound Mexican tortilla!!! (LOL)!

So in it all went into my trusted 48L and....what a difference. Feels like second skin.

That is really the most important issue. How the pack feels/fits.

I use a light 35 liter backpack that I find comfortable, so I have room to spare. I fill the void by leaving my sleeping bag out of it's stuff sack. And, for those misguided albergues that don't allow sticks inside, the pack has room inside for the collapsed sticks.

I could shoehorn my stuff into a 12 liter runners backpack (Haglöfs Gram Comp 12) that I have, but it feels lumpy and it has no ventilation for my back, so I get quite wet from sweat. No room for my sticks either.

I would have preferred that the poll had posed the question of rucksack size/metric volume but ONLY for those NOT using or planning to use mochila transport services enroute. This is not a bias.

I am interested in seeing the relative rucksack volumes of person intending to carry all their stuff, all the way, from start to finish.

From the snapshot results, I see what I perceive to be too many too small rucksacks for a full, month-long Camino.

Again, this is just an assessment, not a declaratory judgement.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes my DH has a larger pack than necessary just because he has a long back and needs the hip belt to sit on his hips. That's the most important thing. Then just don't over fill it.

From the snapshot results, I see what I perceive to be too many too small rucksacks for a full, month-long Camino.

Actually, my packing list for the full Camino Francés is the same as my packing list for Camino Inglés. Spain is not a third world country ;)

It is not about the length, it's about the route itself, or the season.
For the North route, I'll add swimming trunks.
For routes in France, I'll add a tent, sleeping pad and cooking gear.
For the Aragonés, I'll add gaiters.
For the Plata, an additional water bottle.

I defer to your direct experience and personal judgement. It was not my purpose to criticize, but to attempt to help. If it works for YOU, then it is all good. NO problem...:) My initial comment was more an observation on the trend the poll seemed to be taking at the time.

You are very correct in the sense that, if you walk for a week, extrapolating that to a month or more is merely more daily hand-wash. The stuff you pack is simply used more times.;)

My personal requirements are somewhat larger and heavier, partially due to ME being a larger fellow, with concomitantly larger and heavier clothing, as well as medical requirements necessitating a two-kilo weight penalty, per week. The medical penalty also works out to about three-liters extra volume per week. I even mail replacement "consumables" ahead to a reserved hotel to resupply every 10-days to two weeks. But, once resupplied, the weight and volume penalty are back.

This "dance" all contributes to my continually coming back to my legacy 48-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. This coming April 27 will mark the fifth Camino this rucksack is being used for...this time from Lisbon.

I have desperately tried to reduce the volume and weight of the items carry to get into the 35 - 38 liter rucksack range. But, it is always to no avail. Even if not completely full, I end up using the 48-liter rucksack.

In the process, I settled on three sets of shirts, boxers, and sock changes (one on, one just washed, and one previously washed, so one set is always dry). I usually carry a second pair of zip-off nylon cargo pants at the very bottom of the rucksack so I have something to wear if the first pair get so grimy that they miust be removed and washed in a machine. I no longer carry a sleeping bag (I carry a liner).

I carry one, 100-level PolarTec fleece, one rain shell parka, one Sea-to-Summit Ultra light Sil-Nylon poncho. Yes this is redundant rain protection, but my astrological sign is "cloud." If there is rain on the Camino, it WILL find me. I am a veritable rain magnet. These three coverings, all-in, weight just over 1.5 kilo. I also get bronchial illness easily, so this is needed to keep my torso warm and dry.

But, as stated, that is what has to be FOR ME...NOT you. It is what it is...

Have a great time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My personal requirements are somewhat larger and heavier, partially due to ME being a larger fellow, with concomitantly larger and heavier clothing, as well as medical requirements necessitating a two-kilo weight penalty, per week.

Yep, we each have to walk our own Camino.

I'm not exactly featherweight myself, as my clothes are size XL. Luckily my own medical supplies are limited to a 10 gram blister pack for every 15 days. I also vary the size of my soap bar according to the length of the trip, but that is it.

The rest is my daily needs, like un bocadillo (not peccadillo, like my spell checker suggests :rolleyes:), jamon, tamates, queso, fruit, snacks, plus, for the longer trips, a refill of toothpaste and perhaps a new bar of soap. All easily resupplied just about everywhere - except on Sundays ;).

With the extra weight you have to carry, you may want to take a look at something like this (somewhat expensive) gadget: https://www.radicaldesign.com/walking-trailers/wheelie-walking-trailers/wheelie-iv-traveller.html

Thank you for the tip. Oh, I thought about a wheelie early on, several years ago.

I decided that, if it came to that, I would use mochila transport services, as they are less expensive. I also did not want to be encumbered by another piece of gear.

As you know, on the Camino, less is more. Except my less is more larger and more heavy than the average pilgrim.

I always manage to toddle along. It's all good.

Hi Jo webber,
I had a frozen shoulder a few years back so needing to keep my pack light I brought the Osprey 25L. I found that with the weight off my shoulders, the hip belt (which was thin) kept slipping up to my waist and though not really uncomfortable - just didn't feel right. This year I have opted for the Osprey Kyte 46. Though I will only half fill it - I prefer it as it has the more substantial Hip support and actually sits comfortably on my hips. And it also keeps any weight off my shoulders.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with you Maura. My 20 ltr pack is comfortable with 10-14 lbs after that I would want a more substantial and better padded hip belt. I think I could carry 15-18 lbs just as comfortably in a larger pack with a better hip belt/shoulder strap arrangement.

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh an athletic 220lbs, so keep that in mind. For me, It'd be a toss up between my Osprey Talon 44 and my Osprey Stratos 50. Even tho the Stratos has more volume, it's actually shorter height wise than the Talon. So both are carry on compatible with most airlines which i like. The Stratos is heavier, with more padded straps. But the Talon is lighter and comfy as well. The Stratos comes with a rain cover, but i can also use it on my Talon, so thats a wash.

I could go with my smaller Stratos 34 or my super light Osprey 38(you can tell im an Osprey guy)...but besides being a big guy, I'm also a photographer. Even tho ive downsized my gear quite a bit, the extra room of the Talon 44 & Stratos 50 come in handy on longer hikes.

My one luxury item that goes with me on EVERY trip is my ENO hammock. It rolls up to the size of a softball and i can string it up anywhere. Definitely looking forward to sleeping under the Spanish stars a few nights.

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh an athletic 220lbs, so keep that in mind. For me, It'd be a toss up between my Osprey Talon 44 and my Osprey Stratos 50. Even tho the Stratos has more volume, it's actually shorter height wise than the Talon. So both are carry on compatible with most airlines which i like. The Stratos is heavier, with more padded straps. But the Talon is lighter and comfy as well. The Stratos comes with a rain cover, but i can also use it on my Talon, so thats a wash.

I could go with my smaller Stratos 34 or my super light Osprey 38(you can tell im an Osprey guy)...but besides being a big guy, I'm also a photographer. Even tho ive downsized my gear quite a bit, the extra room of the Talon 44 & Stratos 50 come in handy on longer hikes.

My one luxury item that goes with me on EVERY trip is my ENO hammock. It rolls up to the size of a softball and i can string it up anywhere. Definitely looking forward to sleeping under the Spanish stars a few nights.
If you already have both packs, get your gear together, and test both of them with your planned gear list, together with your snack bag and water. Remember that if you pack the smaller bag too tightly, you could find getting access during the day particularly difficult.

Others might want to comment on your thoughts about free camping.

If you already have both packs, get your gear together, and test both of them with your planned gear list, together with your snack bag and water. Remember that if you pack the smaller bag too tightly, you could find getting access during the day particularly difficult.

Others might want to comment on your thoughts about free camping.

Yeah, I've already loaded both. Equally comfortable. Stratos a tad more cushion. But Talon lighter. Again, a toss up. Whichever i choose will be good.

As far as free camping is concerned. I dont hang my hammock anywhere without asking. Ive heard of pilgrims successfully asking landowners if they could hang their hammocks on their property with success. Even when ive stayed in hostels, ive hung my hammock inside on window bars and bed posts. Most comfortable sleep imaginable! Plus no bed bugs! But im gonna wing it. Play it by ear. Thats part of the fun of any pilgrimage. Connecting with the locals and improvising along the way. Bien camino!

Hi HikeTall,
Interested in your use of a hammock on the Camino. Is the ENO hammock the nylon one?
Many thanks
Paul

Hi HikeTall,
Interested in your use of a hammock on the Camino. Is the ENO hammock the nylon one?
Many thanks
Paul

Hey Paul, i haven't walked the Camino yet. I know there ae long stretches on the Camino that have no trees, But i will definitely bring my ENO hammock with me for sure. I bring it on all my trips. It weighs nothing. From what l've read, most alburgues will allow you to hang a hammock on their grounds if you ask. Especially if they are all booked up. No bed bugs! Yay! Plus there will be many places along he way that i will be able to sling my hammock. I'll always ask and will be respectful & clean - as i always am. But even if i don't use my hammock every night, i know I'll be glad i brought it. Bien Camino!

And yes, i believe it is nylon. I have 3 kinds of ENO hammocks. The double Nest, the jungle nest(with built in bug net) and the super light sub 7. I plan to go in summer so won't bring an underquilt.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your feedback. I've never tried sleeping all night in a hammock - just dozed a while in the sun. Definitely something I will consider!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.