• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is Your Comfortable Pack Weight? / Gear Advice?

Elisha

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April/May 2018
Good Morning Pilgrims!

A friend & I are currently preparing for our first Camino Frances, starting from SJPDP on the 20th April.

Currently, we're accumulating our gear & putting a lot of time into researching lightweight equipment & reading fellow pilgrims advice on gear. In the past few days I've put together an equipment list of my own, while bearing in mind to be as discerning as I possibly can about what I'm choosing to carry & what I've decided to cull & leave at home. As a result, I've managed to get my pack down to 5.5kg (12lbs) without water & I'm hoping that this will mean a comfortable & unencumbered Camino.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on my list & also, what did you find your comfortable weight to be with your own pack?

Elisha

Packing List.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
These are some of my observations. If I understand your list correctly, a total carry weight of 13.6 pounds is pretty good. The Osprey Sirrus is designed to handle a much heavier load, so you should almost not notice the pack as you're walking. It looks like you've put a lot of thought into your equipment list.

Is this list including what you are wearing, or just what is in the pack? Could you clarify what you mean by 'basic kit', 'basic kit Minus 1 off total', 'To distribute between both packs'.

I would drop:
-- 1 pair of leggings
-- 1 pair of socks (unless the third pair is the one you are actually wearing)
-- 1 pair of Injini
-- 1 long-sleeve Ice Breaker top
-- 1 Nike Tech Top
-- Drop either the poncho or the rain jacket
-- Leave the cutlery set. Choose the lightest Swiss Army knife, and take a lightweight spoon. Toaks and others makes cheap, light titanium models.
-- Take either the torch or the headlamp, not both.
-- If your phone is photo capable, do you need a separate camera?

What is the temperature rating of your sleeping bag? Are you planning to stay only in alburgues, hostels, hotels, etc? You may be able to get an even lighter weight bag.... or go with a sleeping quilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are some of my observations. If I understand your list correctly, a total carry weight of 13.6 pounds is pretty good. The Osprey Sirrus is designed to handle a much heavier load, so you should almost not notice the pack as you're walking. It looks like you've put a lot of thought into your equipment list.

Is this list including what you are wearing, or just what is in the pack? Could you clarify what you mean by 'basic kit', 'basic kit Minus 1 off total', 'To distribute between both packs'.

I would drop:
-- 1 pair of leggings
-- 1 pair of Injini
-- 1 Nike Tech Top
-- Leave the cutlery set. Choose the lightest Swiss Army knife, and take a lightweight spoon. Toaks and others makes cheap, light titanium models.

What is the temperature rating of your sleeping bag? Are you planning to stay only in alburgues, hostels, hotels, etc. You may be able to get an even lighter weight bag.... or go with a sleeping quilt.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for combing through my list & for your advice!

So, 'To Distribute' refers to an item that either my friend & I will carry, planning to distribute the weight of 290g evenly between us.

'Basic Kit' refers to items I will be wearing on a daily basis & I have deducted the weight out of my total weight accordingly. All other clothing items have been accounted for & it has been my understanding while reading the forums that most would suggest taking a second/change of clothes to wear in the evening while you're washing the first?

I've also included that third pair of socks having read that it can often take a bit of time for wool socks to dry & a lot of pilgrims would recommend a third pair? If I can safely eliminate a pair or even some of those clothes though, that would be sensational. I'm just wondering if it's wise? I'm expecting it to be cold in the evening in April/May so I don't want to sell myself short on clothes? I've included the leggings for day's that it's cold and I need a second layer & also to sleep in at night.

It was extremely tough to choose either the poncho or the rain jacket & I've read some damn good arguments for both. I have the rain jacket for light rain & for those rest days where I'm going to be out exploring. The poncho I'm including for that awful driving rain as a last resort for all day rain; I've read that if the straps of my pack get wet then it's not going to be a good day.

As for the torch & headlamp, between us we're intending to take 1 headlamp for mornings we're planning to walk early & 1 small torch between us for getting ready in the morning so we don't disturb sleeping pilgrims?

The sleeping bag is ultimately my luxury item. I'm a Flight Attendant & sleep in my sleeping bag in the aircraft bunks twice a week; I've always been a cold sleeper & I think this will be the one item that I'll be thrilled to have at the end of a long day to keep me snug. It's the last item I'm still yet to buy, at a whopping $650 AUD ($390 USD).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for combing through my list & for your advice!

So, 'To Distribute' refers to an item that either my friend & I will carry, planning to distribute the weight of 290g evenly between us.

'Basic Kit' refers to items I will be wearing on a daily basis & I have deducted the weight out of my total weight accordingly. All other clothing items have been accounted for & it has been my understanding while reading the forums that most would suggest taking a second/change of clothes to wear in the evening while you're washing the first?

I've also included that third pair of socks having read that it can often take a bit of time for wool socks to dry & a lot of pilgrims would recommend a third pair? If I can safely eliminate a pair or even some of those clothes though, that would be sensational. I'm just wondering if it's wise? I'm expecting it to be cold in the evening in April/May so I don't want to sell myself short on clothes? I've included the leggings for day's that it's cold and I need a second layer & also to sleep in at night.

It was extremely tough to choose either the poncho or the rain jacket & I've read some damn good arguments for both. I have the rain jacket for light rain & for those rest days where I'm going to be out exploring. The poncho I'm including for that awful driving rain as a last resort for all day rain; I've read that if the straps of my pack get wet then it's not going to be a good day.

As for the torch & headlamp, between us we're intending to take 1 headlamp for mornings we're planning to walk early & 1 small torch between us for getting ready in the morning so we don't disturb sleeping pilgrims?

The sleeping bag is ultimately my luxury item. I'm a Flight Attendant & sleep in my sleeping bag in the aircraft bunks twice a week; I've always been a cold sleeper & I think this will be the one item that I'll be thrilled to have at the end of a long day to keep me snug. It's the last item I'm still yet to buy, at a whopping $650 AUD ($390 USD).

Ok, that helps explain some things. For practicality and ease of use, I would create two lists: one list devoted ONLY to those things you will have in your backpack, and another list for what your friend will carry. Decide which items will go to each of you. I do that with my son when we go on backpacking trips together, and for our Camino together this coming mid-September.

No problem with three pair of socks..I also take three pair. But I wear one pair of my smartwool socks, and the other two I carry.

The poncho and rain jacket is like wearing a belt and suspenders. Either one will be adequate for any type of rain. Wet straps won't ruin your day, as they will be on top of your rain jacket... and straps dry quickly. I use an extremely tough but lightweight poncho for any rain that might do more than slightly dampen my clothes. I wear loose-fitting running shorts for backpacking, and if the rain is extremely hard and chilly, I might put on my rain kilt/skirt; it wraps around quickly, and self fastens with it's velcro patch. A big, large poncho provides a lot of ventilation to reduce or eliminate sweat buildup inside the poncho, it does cover the pack nicely. If things are windy, I have a length of thin shock cord attached to the poncho that I can use to cinch the poncho at the waist to prevent it from becoming a kite.

Of course, if the weather is real stormy or too severe, I just find some shelter and wait for the worst of it to pass over. I sue the time as an extended rest and refreshment break. :)

I still believe choosing either the torch or headlamp. I prefer headlamp, myself. It will work either on the head for walking, or held in the hand like a regular torch. NOTE: Using either a torch or a headlamp within the sleeping area of pilgrims WILL disturb and is unkindly received. To avoid this, before going to bed have your pack ready to grab and take into the common area when you wake up and are ready to depart. Do your sorting and re-packing of your backpack in the common area. Other pilgrims will love you for this. And, yes, RED LIGHTS DO DISTURB. A red light is great for helping to preserve night vision, but it still can be seen and will still be a problem for others.

No problem with the sleeping bag. Just keep in mind that you are carrying clothing that can be worn if extra warmth is needed. Since you are already carrying the fleece and a long sleeve shirt, you can keep the temperature rating of the bag to the expected normal temp of that area of northern Spain. Or not :) I just saw a possibility of dropping a bit more weight, although your bag is not unreasonably heavy.

You may or may not have viewed my post a few days ago showing my equipment list. If it might help give you a reference, my base backpack weight is just under 9 pounds / 4 kg. Base weight means the total weight without consumables. I will add an additional 3 pounds of water that will be carried. And of course, as one consumes water and snacks, the pack weight is always in a dynamic flux of loss and gain. :)

You are doing well. You will have plenty of time to consider your options and reconfigure by reducing or adding items. But, all in all, a good job.
Dave

Excellent choice of walking shoes.

Regarding the sports bra ... these are heavier and thicker, will take longer to dry. Regular bras are all you need on Caminos as you will be walking and not doing jumping jacks ;).

Fantastic! I'll switch them, thank you! ☺️

I absolutely LOVE my Hoka's, I can't imagine walking long distances in anything else... I also love that I'll be able to find them easily on the shelf in the morning!

IMG_8063.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you'll be just fine with your plan, edited for the sports bras. Crocs will be lighter weight than the Tevas. The Outdoor Research Helium II will be lighter than the Marmot Precip. But you have a very comfortable weight already. And I think you are wise to prepare for wet, chilly spring weather, especially if you know you "sleep cold".

PS. Thanks for posting a pic of the Hokas; there have been many mentions and I always wondered about the fuss.

I think you'll be just fine with your plan, edited for the sports bras. Crocs will be lighter weight than the Tevas. The Outdoor Research Helium II will be lighter than the Marmot Precip. But you have a very comfortable weight already. And I think you are wise to prepare for wet, chilly spring weather, especially if you know you "sleep cold".

PS. Thanks for posting a pic of the Hokas; there have been many mentions and I always wondered about the fuss.

Thanks so much for your feedback, it's been fun looking through all the products available & challenging myself to keep the weight as low as possible. I've never hiked with a pack before so I'm seeing a lot of days ahead, out walking with my equipment to see how burdening it feels on my body.

Hoka's are truly fantastic although again, I haven't tested them on anything as lengthy as the Camino. Having tried on a ton of other brands, I've always felt pressure points on my feet from the stitching/inner lining whereas Hoka's are finished in a way that makes you feel like you're wearing a pair of Sketchers. I can't recommend them highly enough! These bad boys are high-tops, perhaps overkill for the Camino, but they're just so damn comfortable!

IMG_8163.JPG

Ok, that helps explain some things. For practicality and ease of use, I would create two lists: one list devoted ONLY to those things you will have in your backpack, and another list for what your friend will carry. Decide which items will go to each of you. I do that with my son when we go on backpacking trips together, and for our Camino together this coming mid-September.

No problem with three pair of socks..I also take three pair. But I wear one pair of my smartwool socks, and the other two I carry.

The poncho and rain jacket is like wearing a belt and suspenders. Either one will be adequate for any type of rain. Wet straps won't ruin your day, as they will be on top of your rain jacket... and straps dry quickly. I use an extremely tough but lightweight poncho for any rain that might do more than slightly dampen my clothes. I wear loose-fitting running shorts for backpacking, and if the rain is extremely hard and chilly, I might put on my rain kilt/skirt; it wraps around quickly, and self fastens with it's velcro patch. A big, large poncho provides a lot of ventilation to reduce or eliminate sweat buildup inside the poncho, it does cover the pack nicely. If things are windy, I have a length of thin shock cord attached to the poncho that I can use to cinch the poncho at the waist to prevent it from becoming a kite.

Of course, if the weather is real stormy or too severe, I just find some shelter and wait for the worst of it to pass over. I sue the time as an extended rest and refreshment break. :)

I still believe choosing either the torch or headlamp. I prefer headlamp, myself. It will work either on the head for walking, or held in the hand like a regular torch. NOTE: Using either a torch or a headlamp within the sleeping area of pilgrims WILL disturb and is unkindly received. To avoid this, before going to bed have your pack ready to grab and take into the common area when you wake up and are ready to depart. Do your sorting and re-packing of your backpack in the common area. Other pilgrims will love you for this. And, yes, RED LIGHTS DO DISTURB. A red light is great for helping to preserve night vision, but it still can be seen and will still be a problem for others.

No problem with the sleeping bag. Just keep in mind that you are carrying clothing that can be worn if extra warmth is needed. Since you are already carrying the fleece and a long sleeve shirt, you can keep the temperature rating of the bag to the expected normal temp of that area of northern Spain. Or not :) I just saw a possibility of dropping a bit more weight, although your bag is not unreasonably heavy.

You may or may not have viewed my post a few days ago showing my equipment list. If it might help give you a reference, my base backpack weight is just under 9 pounds / 4 kg. Base weight means the total weight without consumables. I will add an additional 3 pounds of water that will be carried. And of course, as one consumes water and snacks, the pack weight is always in a dynamic flux of loss and gain. :)

You are doing well. You will have plenty of time to consider your options and reconfigure by reducing or adding items. But, all in all, a good job.
Dave

Thanks so much Dave, all fantastic recommendations! I'm definitely going to heed your advice on the torch/headlamp. Headlamp it is. Do you think taking one between us is sufficient, or would you suggest taking one each?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well done, very good weight!
As a detail , as mentioned above, I would only take either the poncho or the rain jacket but in the end, you carry what makes you feel happiest. (I take a sleeping bag even in Summer when it is not strictly necessary!).
Oh and only one of the torches.
As for the bras, the good thing about sports bras is they have wide straps.
Do a few trial walks with a regular bra to check the straps are comfortable under the rucksack.
Looks like you're all set! :)

Ps: I'd never seen the Hoka shoes either. They do look good :cool:

Well done, very good weight!
As a detail , as mentioned above, I would only take either the poncho or the rain jacket but in the end, you carry what makes you feel happiest. (I take a sleeping bag even in Summer when it is not strictly necessary!).
Oh and only one of the torches.
As for the bras, the good thing about sports bras is they have wide straps.
Do a few trial walks with a regular bra to check the straps are comfortable under the rucksack.
Looks like you're all set! :)

Ps: I'd never seen the Hoka shoes either. They do look good :cool:

Unreal, thank you! Great point about the bra too, I do often find my regular bra straps start to cut in during the day so I'll check out some alternatives next time I go shopping.

I guess my concern with only taking a rain jacket is that it only comes to my waist & walking with soggy trousers don't appeal to me, making a poncho the most sensible option. Given that, leaving the rain jacket at home becomes a possibility to consider.

I also have another pair of Hoka's, the Summit Mid's which are great too. I've heard recently that they're going to be discontinuing them which means you can pick them up for a steal at the moment on their website & also 6pm.com

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I would drop:
-- 1 pair of leggings
-- 1 pair of Injini
-- 1 Nike Tech Top

What is the temperature rating of your sleeping bag? Are you planning to stay only in alburgues, hostels, hotels, etc? You may be able to get an even lighter weight bag.... or go with a sleeping quilt.

Dave, have you walked the Camino before? Sounds like you have, but just curious. :)

Add to your gear an elastic pegless washing line . These are invaluable . I used two old coathanger hooks on each end to help attach it to just about anything available .
Nothing is more heartening at the start of a day than clean dry clothes . The washing line also helps to identify your clothes in Albergues and communal washing areas. A large kilt pin will allow you to attach damp socks to the outside of your pack securely . I changed socks three times a day . Putting the previously worn pair back on once dried on the kilt pin . Makes for less washing at the end of the day .
I have Teva sandals with me at the moment , I walked 30km to Nejera one day in them after blisters bit me . I doubt if I could have done that in crocs or flip flops .

Are you planning to start walking very early in the morning, before dawn? Otherwise, what do you need your headlamp for? The only thing I ever need light for is finding the toilet in the middle of the night (and once, whan darkness surprised us on a longer than expected stretch, to make us visible to cars). My phone is enough for both of those purposes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you planning to start walking very early in the morning, before dawn? Otherwise, what do you need your headlamp for? The only thing I ever need light for is finding the toilet in the middle of the night (and once, whan darkness surprised us on a longer than expected stretch, to make us visible to cars). My phone is enough for both of those purposes.

I think they'll be a handful of mornings where we choose to start waking early so we have time to explore certain towns at the end of the day. Im expecting that the sun will rise a little later in April & it would be nice to have that extra time at the end of the day to explore & for clothes to dry etc.

I've heard recently that they're going to be discontinuing them which means you can pick them up for a steal at the moment on their website & also 6pm.com
Curious, where did you hear Tors are being discontinued? Because when I read this the first time here last week I went looking and they are still being sold at full price on HOO's site, with no mention of them being discontinued. But I do like the 6pm prices!

I think they'll be a handful of mornings where we choose to start waking early so we have time to explore certain towns at the end of the day. Im expecting that the sun will rise a little later in April & it would be nice to have that extra time at the end of the day to explore & for clothes to dry etc.
The truth is that there isn't much to see in most of the towns the Camino passes through that you can't see in under an hour, so getting up in the dark, and walking everyone else in the process, to have time to see something that doesn't exist may warrant a rethink. If you walk from 7-3 you still have a lot of time for laundry, a nap, a stroll through town. And more friends since you haven't woken every one up when they still need their rest. Because in April, on the Frances, you really can't say you are getting up early to avoid the midday heat :cool:.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Furiois, where did you hear Tors are being discontinued? Because when I read this the first time here last week I went looking and they are still being sold at full price on HOO's site, with no mention of them being discontinued. But I do like the 6pm prices!

A fellow pilgrim mentioned it on another forum topic, hopefully they were wrong. I'd actually be really interested in trying some of their trail runners but I feel for the Camino at that time of year, I might be safer in a boot with a Vibram sole.

The truth is that there isn't much to see in most of the towns the Camino passes through that you can't see in under an hour, so getting up in the dark, and walking everyone else in the process, to have time to see something that doesn't exist may warrant a rethink. If you walk from 7-3 you still have a lot of time for laundry, a nap, a stroll through town. And more friends since you haven't woken every one up when they still need their rest. Because in April, on the Frances, you really can't say you are getting up early to avoid the midday heat :cool:.

Great point! Thank you! ☺️

Hi,

From lady to another: drop the tampons! Yes, they're fairly light but they are bulky. You can pick them up on the way at big towns, or - my new favourite thing - get an Organicup or Mooncup. Seriously, my period stared the day before I flew out and my god, this has been a revelation... So many years of travelling wasted carrying around unnecessary tampons and pads. You can wear it for up to 12 hours and I cannot feel it all. It takes a little practice, but it is worth it. (It sells like I sell them, but honestly, I'm just astounded...)

Hope your planning goes well!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Elisha, having walked the past two years in April/May, the weather has ranged from snow storms to quite warm. I appreciated having both the Precip jacket as a top layer and the Altus for rain protection. Other times of the year they might be redundant.

I also stashed a couple of Cliff bars and a small bottle of water at the bottom of my pack for emergencies. I counted these as gear weight, not food weight.

Chiming in on the bra issue... Guys, go read a different post. Nothing here for you.
I am opting for sports bras (yes, 2 of them) because the racer back straps are more comfortable under the pack, and they have no hooks in the back to annoy a hot sweaty back.
Elisha, my pack list is almost identical, including the Osprey pack. I suggest you take a few bras out for a long day hike with the weighted pack and see what feels best. I have swapped out 2 bras after training hikes when I discovered how annoying they were. Maybe it is just me, but that is one piece of clothing that can steal my joy faster than a blister. Oh, and underwear creep. Just bad.

Buen Camino

Oh, and underwear creep. Just bad.
Never mind the creeping, the seems digging into the skin and making crevaces. Ouch! Happened to me in Camino 1 wearing Tilley undies bought for the Camino. Yes they dry fast, but they also cut into the flesh. Oh the pain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For a first-timer, your list is outstanding. The decision to take one item versus another is highly personal, and ought to be partially dependent on the time of year.

For example, a sleeping, any back might be redundant in August and early September. A sleeping bag liner or silk sleep sack would be enough. But, from October through late May, you will likely want the sleeping bag if staying in albergues.

However, given your overall eight carried is well under the much-touted target of 10 kg, I think you are fine. Is the total weight carried more or less than 1o percent of your bare body weight? That is the second indicator.

If you are under the threshold in both cases, I would not worry too much.

I hope this helps.

Dave, have you walked the Camino before? Sounds like you have, but just curious. :)

My first will be Camino Frances from SJPDP starting September 15, to Santiago. My practical hiking experience comes from many thousands of miles backpacking. My hot weather experience comes from hiking trips in the various desert areas of the southwest and two different backpacking trips across Death Valley, not to mention living in a high desert climate. My large dormitory experience is from US Army barracks with 60 bunkbeds to a room, and field tents with sleep-deprived and grumpy guys trying to sleep. :)

Elisha...let's not put the bum rap on my trail runners.:eek: I wear Asics (limited brands in size 15) and while will not be on the Camino until April of next year wear them daily. My regimen includes dirt, gravel and asphalt. I have a number of pairs of boots; Keen, New Balance, Propet, etc. and none of them are comfortable as the Asics for long distances up and down hills. I live at 5800 feet and the local hills easily end up at 9000 feet plus. While there are definite uses for the boots, such as steep grades, wearing them for 12 miles plus is not a happy option.:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks like a good list. Much better than my first camino packing attempt! You seem to have the right amount of clothes. Bra type is personal choice, I usually wear sports ones because of strap issues. I know someone who just wore their regular one and it eventually wore a hole in the back of her shirt where the pack rubbed occasionally.
I do think headlamps are more useful than torches and I quite like to start about a half hour before it gets light and watch the sun come up. How early that is very much depends on the time of year. You might not need both rain jacket and poncho but that depends on whether your jacket is also a cold weather windproof layer.
Buen camino!

Thanks so much Dave, all fantastic recommendations! I'm definitely going to heed your advice on the torch/headlamp. Headlamp it is. Do you think taking one between us is sufficient, or would you suggest taking one each?
I would do 1 between you and if you need another 1 buy it in Spain.

Looks VERY good to me, if you want, here are a few grams that you could shed, at least in my opinion:

Torch/head lamp (use mobile instead)
Cutlery Set (take a spork, but only if you are a yogurt addicted, if not you will be fine without)
One S-clip should be enough
Deodorant
Razor
Sewing Kit
Tampons - only take enough for 2-3 days and buy when needed
Headphones

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks VERY good to me, if you want, here are a few grams that you could shed, at least in my opinion:

Cutlery Set (take a spork, but only if you are a yogurt addicted, if not you will be fine without)
Deodorant
Razor
Sewing Kit
Headphones

Buen Camino, SY
I always take a spork. I really, really like the cold arroz con leche you can pick up cheap at the supermarket for breakfasts and snacks. :)

Elisha...let's not put the bum rap on my trail runners.:eek: I wear Asics (limited brands in size 15) and while will not be on the Camino until April of next year wear them daily. My regimen includes dirt, gravel and asphalt. I have a number of pairs of boots; Keen, New Balance, Propet, etc. and none of them are comfortable as the Asics for long distances up and down hills. I live at 5800 feet and the local hills easily end up at 9000 feet plus. While there are definite uses for the boots, such as steep grades, wearing them for 12 miles plus is not a happy option.:)

I also love my ASIC's, I couldn't be without them. That being said, last time I took them on a 36km hike this is what they did to my heel....
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

IMG_9789.JPG

Pretty eh!!?? Hence wanting to be pretty sure about my footwear before I set off! ☺️

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 1
For a first-timer, your list is outstanding. The decision to take one item versus another is highly personal, and ought to be partially dependent on the time of year.

For example, a sleeping, any back might be redundant in August and early September. A sleeping bag liner or silk sleep sack would be enough. But, from October through late May, you will likely want the sleeping bag if staying in albergues.

However, given your overall eight carried is well under the much-touted target of 10 kg, I think you are fine. Is the total weight carried more or less than 1o percent of your bare body weight? That is the second indicator.

If you are under the threshold in both cases, I would not worry too much.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! This gives me a lot of peace of mind.

I should have mentioned, I'm 34, go to the gym 3 times a week & weigh 56kg so I'm sitting at 10% before adding water & food.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Deodorant
Razor
Sewing Kit
Headphones

Buen Camino, SY

I always take a spork. I really, really like the cold arroz con leche you can pick up cheap at the supermarket for breakfasts and snacks. :)

Of course, I should have mentioned that the Sea to Summit Cutlery Set is a spork & a knife. I picked it up at REI last week while I was in Dallas, impressed at how light it was. I'd originally bought a 100g Huntsman Swiss Army Knife, but have since decided to leave it at home given the usefulness of the S2S knife. I also discovered that my friend has a Swiss Army (with a bottle opener, corkscrew & small knife) that only weighs 34g. I also have a tiny (but very sharp) pair of folding scissors in the sewing kit I purchased.

Chiming in on the bra issue... Guys, go read a different post. Nothing here for you.
I am opting for sports bras (yes, 2 of them) because the racer back straps are more comfortable under the pack, and they have no hooks in the back to annoy a hot sweaty back.
Elisha, my pack list is almost identical, including the Osprey pack. I suggest you take a few bras out for a long day hike with the weighted pack and see what feels best. I have swapped out 2 bras after training hikes when I discovered how annoying they were. Maybe it is just me, but that is one piece of clothing that can steal my joy faster than a blister. Oh, and underwear creep. Just bad.

Buen Camino

Amen to the creeping underwear!!

Hi,

From lady to another: drop the tampons! Yes, they're fairly light but they are bulky. You can pick them up on the way at big towns, or - my new favourite thing - get an Organicup or Mooncup. Seriously, my period stared the day before I flew out and my god, this has been a revelation... So many years of travelling wasted carrying around unnecessary tampons and pads. You can wear it for up to 12 hours and I cannot feel it all. It takes a little practice, but it is worth it. (It sells like I sell them, but honestly, I'm just astounded...)

Great advice! I have read about the mooncup on another forum but I genuinely don't like the idea of cleaning it out in a sink for communal use, I just don't think that's fair or hygienic for other pilgrims. I definitely appreciate the suggestion though.

@Elisha I love those Sea to Summit spork/knife things! The knife really does work well, and being plastic is no problem on a plane. Good call.

Hi Elisha - your list looks really good.

In regard to a good bra for the Camino, have you considered Berlei? These are readily available in Australia. They're very comfortable, come with or without underwire and the black colour is ideal for hand washing (and they dry quickly). I've used these on lots of distance walks wearing a pack and never had any issues with rubbing by straps.

On the headlamp/torch question, I'd recommend you each take a headlamp. A headlamp can easily be held in your hand and used as a torch if needed. The disadvantage of a torch or an iPhone is that it means your hands are not free for using your walking poles if you're heading out before sunrise.

Don't be talked out of a sleeping bag if you're a cold sleeper. Having once found bed bugs in the blankets at an alburgue on the CF, I would never travel without my own sleeping bag treated with Permethrin.

R upload_2017-7-6_9-51-53.png

upload_2017-7-6_9-51-53.png

Elisha, your list looks well thought out and well researched, and you've received some excellent suggestions above, the merits of which you can now weigh up against your needs.

One item you might want to consider adding is a length of non woven, dressing retention tape. It's sold under various names (Medfix, Omnifix, Hypafix) and is excellent for pre-taping feet (with unbroken skin) at the start of each day, or as soon as you feel a hot spot along the way. It has been discussed in various threads on this site and there are also youtube vids showing ways to apply it to target areas as a preventative measure. I personally found this type of tape to be excellent.

Also, you've received several comments about perhaps not taking the rain jacket and just go with the poncho. That is my suggestion too. But that said, I also take a very lightweight wind shirt/jacket, big enough to cover my fleece. Mine runs about 100 grams, is water resistant, and has a hood; it's good for use on the trail and for walking around afterwards.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oi Vey!! as my grandfather used to say. Now its lingerie ads. Not that I have a problem with it mind you, but being born in 1878, he probably would have. Elisha it that is what Asics do to your feet, you would be right to not consider them. One question though, how fast were you walking and how hot were the air/ground temps? Maybe is just me but I have found out that when I put my pack on my back for a conditioning hike, I walk slower and have less foot/ankle/knee problems, even though I am carrying 20 pounds or a bit less than my 10%. Only problem I have with my shoes is that by the end of a long day they are too tight. They are Mediums, but they also come in large, so the next shoe order I will try those.

BTW, I am heading for Spain in mid-April-May, also with a friend. If you see a really tall (2 meters) old guy, walking with a shrimpy (a little over 1.5 meters) woman that is me. See you there and buen Camino

In regard to a good bra for the Camino, have you considered Berlei? These are readily available in Australia. They're very comfortable, come with or without underwire and the black colour is ideal for hand washing (and they dry quickly). I've used these on lots of distance walks wearing a pack and never had any issues with rubbing by straps.

On the headlamp/torch question, I'd recommend you each take a headlamp. A headlamp can easily be held in your hand and used as a torch if needed. The disadvantage of a torch or an iPhone is that it means your hands are not free for using your walking poles if you're heading out before sunrise.

Don't be talked out of a sleeping bag if you're a cold sleeper. Having once found bed bugs in the blankets at an alburgue on the CF, I would never travel without my own sleeping bag treated with Permethrin.

R View attachment 34791

View attachment 34791

Thanks so much for the recommendation. My friend actually swears by these bras, she's taking 2 on our Camino. I'll check them out for myself next time I head out to my local.

Oi Vey!! as my grandfather used to say. Now its lingerie ads. Not that I have a problem with it mind you, but being born in 1878, he probably would have. Elisha it that is what Asics do to your feet, you would be right to not consider them. One question though, how fast were you walking and how hot were the air/ground temps? Maybe is just me but I have found out that when I put my pack on my back for a conditioning hike, I walk slower and have less foot/ankle/knee problems, even though I am carrying 20 pounds or a bit less than my 10%. Only problem I have with my shoes is that by the end of a long day they are too tight. They are Mediums, but they also come in large, so the next shoe order I will try those.

BTW, I am heading for Spain in mid-April-May, also with a friend. If you see a really tall (2 meters) old guy, walking with a shrimpy (a little over 1.5 meters) woman that is me. See you there and buen Camino

Horrifying isn't it! That particular day we were walking the Coast Track here in Sydney which is largely mixed terrain, including stumbling through the sand over 5 beaches. I think perhaps it was the combination of sand in my shoes, as well as not having my regular heel lift inserted into my left shoe. Bad combination! I've been prone to heel blisters since I was a little kid which I hope, with research & preparation, doesn't plague me on the Camino.

My friend & I start walking from SJPDP on 20th April, planning to stay in Orisson that evening. If you see my garish boots tearing up the trail, say hi! :)

Last edited:
My first will be Camino Frances from SJPDP starting September 15, to Santiago. My practical hiking experience comes from many thousands of miles backpacking. My hot weather experience comes from hiking trips in the various desert areas of the southwest and two different backpacking trips across Death Valley, not to mention living in a high desert climate. My large dormitory experience is from US Army barracks with 60 bunkbeds to a room, and field tents with sleep-deprived and grumpy guys trying to sleep. :)

Still, you might want to approach this with an open mind.

I've done a ton of backpacking and mountaineering, too. I was also a guide in the Sierras and managed a mountaineering store for many years. Not saying the knowledge about gear doesn't ever in handy on this long walk. But for me, this was qualitatively a different experience on many levels.

The sense of walking through evolving regions; from one landscape/eco-system with unique native plants and birds to the next and experiencing this evolution at eye level. Even more impressive to me was traveling on foot through different language dialects, architectural styles, crops, foods, histories and on and on! My ability to speak Spanish was more valuable and rewarding to me than my knowledge about rain gear, for sure.

If I had been backpacking in a remote wilderness, I would have dealt with a shoe repair issue much differently than I did on the Camino. It ended up being quite the adventure, interacting with plumbers and repairmen in small villages along the way, while I tried to figure out how to say "duct tape" in Galician Spanish ("cinta Americana", btw. You're welcome).

I learned a lot I thought I already knew - about walking, about people and cultures, (including those of other pilgrims) - that challenged many of my previous perceptions about the world and - especially - about myself.

I've done a ton of backpacking and mountaineering, too. I was also a guide in the Sierras and managed a mountaineering store for many years. Not saying the knowledge about gear doesn't ever in handy on this long walk. But for me, this was qualitatively a different experience on many levels.

The sense of walking through evolving regions; from one landscape/eco-system with unique native plants and birds to the next and experiencing this evolution at eye level. Even more impressive to me was traveling on foot through different language dialects, architectural styles, crops, foods, histories and on and on! My ability to speak Spanish was more valuable and rewarding to me than my knowledge about rain gear, for sure.

If I had been backpacking in a remote wilderness, I would have dealt with a shoe repair issue much differently than I did on the Camino. It ended up being quite the adventure, interacting with plumbers and repairmen in small villages along the way, while I tried to figure out how to say "duct tape" in Galician Spanish ("cinta Americana", btw. You're welcome).

I learned a lot I thought I already knew - about walking, about people and cultures, (including those of other pilgrims) - that challenged many of my previous perceptions about the world and - especially - about myself.

My attempt to provide some help about specific equipment input seems to have had me veer, unknowingly, into stating a view, or views indicating what I perceive to be what the Camino Frances and the Spanish culture, people and lands are about. If so, my apologies. I thought I was just commenting on equipment.

To perhaps address some of the stated concerns, world travel, fortunately, has put me into contact with European cultures, including my years living in Germany and traveling throughout western Europe. In Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, I worked to help the indigenious mountain people in Vietnam. Off and on over the last three decades, I've spent many months in both central and eastern Africa dealing with emergency aid, water wells, and sewage.

Hopefully, this may point out that I really have no pre-conceived notions about the actual Camino, the culture, the people, or the geographical distinctiveness across Spain. I am there to walk for specific religious and spiritual reasons, and things will happen as they may. :) Your concern is greatly valued, Jill; thank you for your kindness.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sewing Kit
I thought I would not need a sewing kit because I would be able to ask at the albergue for borrowing a sewing kit when I need one.

Is this a wrong idea?
Or have you been in a situation where you needed your sewing kit immediately during hiking?

In many caminos the only time I needed one was to sew up the waistband of someone's backpack. We were out on the trail a few kilometres from the next village and the pack would have been difficult to carry without the repair. It is really just coincidental that I had one - the tiny pack you get on some airlines. The needles are good for blister popping.

In many caminos the only time I needed one was to sew up the waistband of someone's backpack. We were out on the trail a few kilometres from the next village and the pack would have been difficult to carry without the repair...
Ok. So a minimal sewing kit is probably useful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or have you been in a situation where you needed your sewing kit immediately during hiking?

My sewing kit consists of one large needle (also used to drain blisters on rare occasions) and some dental floss. Very strong and great for repairs to rucksacks and other heavy gear as well as clothing. On the day when the zip on my front-opening rucksack failed I was very glad to have it right there and then rather than scatter my belongings along the camino.

My sewing kit consists of one large needle (also used to drain blisters on rare occasions) and some dental floss...
Good idea! Especially, as I need the dental floss anyway. And the needle weighs below 5gr and will not make my backpack too heavy.

I thought I would not need a sewing kit because I would be able to ask at the albergue for borrowing a sewing kit when I need one.

Is this a wrong idea?
Why would an albergue have to supply the 15-20 people that walk through its doors with sewing tape, or anything else, just because people didn't want to pack it? Same with meds, foot care: it is your responsabilty.

Why would an albergue have to supply the 15-20 people that walk through its doors with sewing tape, or anything else, just because people didn't want to pack it? Same with meds, foot care: it is your responsabilty.

One difference is, that e. g. foot care is used and "gone" after using.
The sewing kit is not "gone": I bring the needle back after using and if I use e.g. 1 metre of a thread and I am happy to donate the cost of maybe 100 metres of a thread... the albergue has no financial loss.

I have never been in a camino-albergue... but I am very confident, that I would get something to sew if I ask politely for help and "enough" of a sewing kit is there.

But I added a "minimal-emergency-repair" sewing kit to my packlist.

Last edited:
Thank you! This gives me a lot of peace of mind.

I should have mentioned, I'm 34, go to the gym 3 times a week & weigh 56kg so I'm sitting at 10% before adding water & food.

All things considered, I would say you are "good to go" once you sort out final footwear and undergarment selections.

From a mature male perspective, as regards bras, I would recommend something along the lines of an athletic or sports bra that is NOT see through when wet. Ideally, it should be able to be worn as leisure-wear whilst hanging around your albergue or local cafe. This is especially a good idea if it is scorchingly hot. if it is NOT hot, then your undergarments remain just that, under something else.

I observe this from empirical observation over several Caminos. Young ladies DO wear shorts and athletic bras during a hot sunny day.

Just saying... I hope this helps. If not, ditch it...

Hiking Pole Tips (Replacement Rubber Tips for hiking poles) :
How many do you recommend for the Camino Frances (about 800km from SJPDP)? Is one replacement-pair enough?
Can hiking pole tips be bought on the Camino easily?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've never needed to replace my pole tips but there are plenty of outdoor shops in cities and towns along the Camino should you need to buy any.

I've never needed to replace my pole tips but there are plenty of outdoor shops in cities and towns along the Camino should you need to buy any.

Thanks for your answer.
So it seems highly dependent on the poles or the rubbers... here speaks formerly multipurpose from only 150 miles with his pole tips:
... If you use the little rubber tips that come with the poles you will need to carry replacement tips as I have found the rubber tips only last about 150 miles, but they work great on mixed pavement, dirt and rock surfaces....

But it is good to know that I can buy it in the outdoor shops in cities and towns along the Camino.

Thanks for your answer.
So it seems highly dependent on the poles or the rubbers... here speaks formerly multipurpose from only 150 miles with his pole tips:

But it is good to know that I can buy it in the outdoor shops in cities and towns along the Camino.
I mostly use mine for up and downhill or anything requiring a bit of balance. They might wear differently if you use them full time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How many do you recommend for the Camino Frances (about 800km from SJPDP)? Is one replacement-pair enough?
I would suggest that in your prep you monitor their wear. I bought mine off of Ebay for a decent price. Additionally I bought some that have a duckbill or boot shape. They are much better, at least for me, as they provide additional surface for stability and the ability to push off more using upper arm strength.

I carry one replacement pair of rubber with my "Camino repair kit." On each Camino, I typically lose at least one.

Just FYI, my repair kit contains:
- Duck Tape, 2" (partial roll)
- Gorilla Tape, 1" (partial roll)
- Clear shipping tape, 2" (partial roll)
- Assorted wire ties (zip ties)
- Ripstop fabric repair tape (small roll)
- Seam dealer / glue (very tiny tube)
- Assorted safety pins
- 2 Replacement rubber pole tips

Also, I carry a small Gerber multi-tool, without a knife blade, so I can bring it on an airplane (Gerber 'Dime Travel'). It has a small pliers, scissor, screw driver and a bottle opener. There is very little I cannot fix with this pocket tool, and the repair kit mentioned above.

Usually, the rubber tip gets sucked off in a mud puddle. Occasionally, a tip gets pulled off while navigating a very rocky stretch. This year, the peculiar, "eggcrate" grid pattern on Portuguese street drains consumed one tip.

Even if I do not need replacements, another pilgrim may. I give them away regularly. On a month-love my Camino, the tips usually get lost before they wear through.

Also, generic, 12 mm diameter rubber tips are available for only €1-2 each in most all outdoor sport shops all along the Camino. Frequently they are in a bowl or glass goldfish bowl near the register.

Consider starting with the one set and adding spares as you go all my, as they are WAAY more expensive in the US.

Finally, it has been my experience that most all hiking sticks use a standard sized, 12 mm diameter rubber tip. However, my new Black Diamond FLZ carbon fiber poles have a 10 mm tip.

To make a 12 mm tip fit, wrap the bottom part of the pole with Duck Tape or Gorilla Tape. I have come to favor the latter. But I have used both to repair any number of twist fasten hikingsticks over my five years and as many Camino's.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My sewing kit consists of one large needle (also used to drain blisters on rare occasions) and some dental floss. Very strong and great for repairs to rucksacks and other heavy gear as well as clothing. On the day when the zip on my front-opening rucksack failed I was very glad to have it right there and then rather than scatter my belongings along the camino.
I didn't pack a sewing kit. I just purchased quality clothes that I knew (from experience using them) wouldn't break. A tear in a pair of pants can easily be fixed with a little duck tape :) I don't sew anyway so it would have been wasted weight for me :)

I also highly recommend the ExOfficio briefs and crossover bra. As an FYI, I am a C cup and the bra kept everything in place and since I didn't go on any marathons I didn't require support. The briefs never crept up. I also had a pair of the boxer briefs they make to wear with my short hiking skirt (that I wore every day).

Hi,

@Elisha I'll send you a private message. There is an alternative to tampons and devices that you may not be aware of. No need to even deal with the issue of a period.

€60,-
One issue and it is a mystery. Osprey states 1.27 kg shipping weight for the Osprey 36L Pack but they also state 1.45 kg as the Item weight. That will add, 0.18 kg. Whatever.

Pack weight philosophy is not to use a pack any larger than what is needed to carry the minimum of NEEDS, not Wants. Wants are always much heavier than needs. So, as you have knocked the list down to bare essentials, there are still some things that can be done.

1) What will do more than one job? Multipurpose items save carrying duplicates, like what was mentioned re: carrying a camera of your phone has a good camera as well?

2) Forget utensiles. When takeout food is purchased, plastic throw away utensiles are provided. If you wash and keep it afterward, it vcan be used until it breaks and then pick up another next time take out food is purchased.

3) Time of year can have a huge effect on pack weight. April is still a bit chilly so extra clothing is carried to ensure comfort. However, a Tshirt, sweater and rainwear should cover most weather variations outside of snow, which is still possible in April in many areas along the CF. So, if May / June os possible, some items can be eliminated.

4) Overall philosophy: Look at each item on your list as you put it in the pack and ask, "Am I willing to carry you 800+ km? When the answer is, "Yes," stick it in there. You know the rest.

Misc - Some things that are not usually considered are using spare socks as mitts against the cold. Alternately, I have a sensitivity to the sun, as a redhead and I used a pair of old white socks, cutting most of the toe section out to cover my forearms and hands instead of using sunblocker. Less than half the weight of a bottle of sunblock and I could soak them and go, to help keep me cool. They dried out slowly, keeping me cool for a long time. And they were great as an all purpose rag.

I wore out the rubber tips on my Black Diamond flick lock poles within a week even though I only used them on pavement and road surfaces . In a marvellous hilltop town I paid two euro each for Leki rubber tips , the simple round ones rather than the ridiculous looking foot shaped ones . These lasted for the rest of the Camino and look good enough for another. Certainly worth the extra money , especially when you know that they are preserving the sharp tip for those nasty scree and gravel descents where you really need them . I saw so many expensive poles ruined when the tip had worn almost completely away and the pole itself was compromised.

I carry one replacement pair of rubber with my "Camino repair kit." On each Camino, I typically lose at least one.

Just FYI, my repair kit contains:
- Duck Tape, 2" (partial roll)
- Gorilla Tape, 1" (partial roll)
- Clear shipping tape, 2" (partial roll)
- Assorted wire ties (zip ties)
- Ripstop fabric repair tape (small roll)
- Seam dealer / glue (very tiny tube)
- Assorted safety pins
- 2 Replacement rubber pole tips

Why so many kinds of tape? What would gorilla tape do that duck tape won't?

I normally carry four replacement tips. I use a combination of the standard Black Diamond tip and a SWIZ walking foot for different surfaces, but last year just used the walking foot for pavement, and took it off otherwise.

I wouldn't rely on finding somewhere to buy these when you need them. There are places that sell them, but my view is that carrying a few spares is not that much weight, and preferable to having to hunt around for a retailer with them when you lose or wear one out.

Note that the wear rate of tips varies markedly with how much pressure you put on the poles. My observation is that some people plant their pole tips so that even the fairies won't be disturbed, and put almost no downwards pressure on the poles. I doubt their tips wear very much, but I also contend they are not getting all the benefits they might otherwise be gaining.

Note that the wear rate of tips varies markedly with how much pressure you put on the poles. My observation is that some people plant their pole tips so that even the fairies won't be disturbed, and put almost no downwards pressure on the poles. I doubt their tips wear very much, but I also contend they are not getting all the benefits they might otherwise be gaining.

Ok. So probably I should take one replacement-pair of tips with me.
I think I put relatively much pressure on the poles... if I look on the nordic walkers I see here and compare it.
After my first 2 trainings days I have got only one blister-hotspot... on my left hand from the poles.

I used fingerless cycling gloves with great success. After hand surgery I was concerned about the constant pressure from the pole hilts . Not only did they stop this but also kept my hands from burning in that fearsome heatwave that crippled walkers in June .

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good Morning Pilgrims!

A friend & I are currently preparing for our first Camino Frances, starting from SJPDP on the 20th April.

Currently, we're accumulating our gear & putting a lot of time into researching lightweight equipment & reading fellow pilgrims advice on gear. In the past few days I've put together an equipment list of my own, while bearing in mind to be as discerning as I possibly can about what I'm choosing to carry & what I've decided to cull & leave at home. As a result, I've managed to get my pack down to 5.5kg (12lbs) without water & I'm hoping that this will mean a comfortable & unencumbered Camino.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on my list & also, what did you find your comfortable weight to be with your own pack?

Elisha

View attachment 34773
A pack, a small bladder 2 litres,2 lightweight quick dry shirts roll up sleeves, one pair of shorts with pockets quick dry, one pair of shorts with zip extensions quick dry, three pair of lightweight boxers from a sports store, three pair of Marino socks( one pair will be stolen) one vortex lightweight jacket, one silk ( sleeping) a small torch,a lightweight fleece, a pair of running shoes that have good cushioned heels that are 1 to 11/2 sizes bigger ( most important forget hiking boots they are a waste of time) a lightweight pair of running shorts ( or board shorts for swimming as an alternative) and t shirt with thongs ( flip flops) to change into when you get to Albergue to do washing after first showering and also an alternative if it rains for a few days,blister pack and any other medical gear can be bought as needed, small scissors, chafing cream small,lightweight poles preferably with spikes for hill climbing,sunglasses and a lightweight straw hat,buff neck tie ,smartphone and wise pilgrim app, hands free earphones x 2 ( you will lose one pair) earplugs, toiletries cut down toothbrush cut in half small toothpaste soap, lightweight round plastic hair brush,clothe pegs x 6, plastic pouch for water proofing, a small cotton laundrette bag, a small piece of lightweight cord for clothes line, a lightweight assorbable towell,phone charger with European socket by two ( you will either lose one or one will be stolen, John brieley book of maps, ( big book is weighty but useful information) Spanish sim ( vodaphone 20 euros with 3.5 gig of data still using it from 20 May) plastic bag small for any wet gear, pack cover ( get pack with cover deuter or osprey) ponchos are sauna baths and the gortex is good for the cold winds and waterproofing phone, telescopic lens for phone or small digital camera, pen and that is all Weight about 6 or seven kilos with the mindset on topping the water up with 750 ml bottles as needed, you won't drink in the first 5 km per day but as the day progresses start drinking at least five sips each 15 minutes whether you need it or not and check the colour of your urine. a small pack of wipes can also be useful if you don't organise your bowel habits to mornings. I used to wake up at 5 and silently do my toilet then slip back to bed for an hour leaving at 6.30 am each day and walking to a coffee shop at about the 5k mark. This is only my advice with 30 years in infantry and above all else don't shower in the morning as it softens the feet.if I have left anything out it is probably for a reason

Put the Brierley map book and other guide books on your phone kindle app. No need to carry paper books.

Why so many kinds of tape? What would gorilla tape do that duck tape won't?

I find that duck tape is more flexible for most fabric repairs and can be more readily torn into the size and shape desired. It works wonders on trouser tears...put a patch on the inside and outside.

Gorilla tape (being thicker and far more sticky) is better for repairing buckles, straps and things that will be exposed to water. But, I find I need my scissors to cut it easily.

Gorilla tape also has more adhesive on it and leaves a worse residue to clean up. On fabric, especially synthetics (packs and ponchos) this can be a problem.

The clear shipping tape is for the inevitable instances of needing to mail excess items or souvenirs accumulated along the way, down the road to Ivar. The Correos boxes are fairly secure in being self sealing, but I am a "belt and suspenders" fellow. A little clear shipping tape in the right places works wonders. As a general rule the post office folks do NOT like duck tape on parcels.

In all instances, I use a small remnant of a larger roll. Usually, and if I cannot buy the tiny roll I need, I wait until I nearly consume a roll at home, then set the nearly finished roll aside for Camino use. Also, I have found tiny rolls of 3/4 inch Duck branded tape at my local Staples and Office Depot stores. They also come in a variety of colors.

Some folks use the hiking pole wrap method of carrying repair tape. I do not. This is where you wrap duck tape around the upper shaft of a hiking poll, using the pole / stick as the spool.

I hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I normally carry four replacement tips. I use a combination of the standard Black Diamond tip and a SWIZ walking foot for different surfaces, but last year just used the walking foot for pavement, and took it off otherwise.

I wouldn't rely on finding somewhere to buy these when you need them. There are places that sell them, but my view is that carrying a few spares is not that much weight, and preferable to having to hunt around for a retailer with them when you lose or wear one out.

Doug is, as always correct.

My rule of thumb would be to bring tips if your poles are non-standard use, like Pacer Poles, or Black Diamond poles with narrower diameter tips.

If your poles are generic, having the 12 mm tip, buy the tips in France, Spain or Portugal. As others have noted, they are far cheaper in Europe.

Last edited:

R View attachment 34791

View attachment 34791
A silk is all you need in summer and the weight is brilliant I challenge anybody to say they were cold if they also own a fleece and trousers, I hopped in my silk two times in 44 days don't be frightened by bed bugs I did not see one on my Camino and only witnessed two people bitten by them.I also detest the people who don headlamps in the Albergue but as suggested you can hold it in your hands. There is heaps of moonlight in the mornings if leaving early so a hand held torch is ok for checking directions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A silk is all you need in summer and the weight is brilliant I challenge anybody to say they were cold if they also own a fleece and trousers, I hopped in my silk two times in 44 days don't be frightened by bed bugs I did not see one on my Camino and only witnessed two people bitten by them.I also detest the people who don headlamps in the Albergue but as suggested you can hold it in your hands. There is heaps of moonlight in the mornings if leaving early so a hand held torch is ok for checking directions.
@Elisha, I carry a sleeping bag and liner as a matter of course, even in the European summer. My wife did the same last year. We started at SJPP at the beginning of May, and my wife and I walked to SDC over about 42 days. We regularly used our sleeping bags, but then we also prefer to wear something light in bed, not our walking clothes. When I started in late Mar (in 2010) I only resorted to wearing my walking clothing once, and it is much colder starting that month or so earlier.

As for the comments about there being plenty of moonlight to walk in, I would make the observation that if you do walk from SJPP, you are going to go through the full lunar cycle from full moon to new moon and back at some stage, and there isn't much moonlight from a new moon :).

@Elisha, I carry a sleeping bag and liner as a matter of course, even in the European summer. My wife did the same last year. We started at SJPP at the beginning of May, and my wife and I walked to SDC over about 42 days. We regularly used our sleeping bags, but then we also prefer to wear something light in bed, not our walking clothes. When I started in late Mar (in 2010) I only resorted to wearing my walking clothing once, and it is much colder starting that month or so earlier.

As for the comments about there being plenty of moonlight to walk in, I would make the observation that if you do walk from SJPP, you are going to go through the full lunar cycle from full moon to new moon and back at some stage, and there isn't much moonlight from a new moon :).
I suppose the question is do you carry your own pack or do you forward it on because it seems to me there are not many mature pilgrims who do and if so then the question is irrelevant.

Depending on your luck and the length of your Camino one extra pair may not be enough. The branded rubber tips that came with my poles seem to be very long wearing. I have never worn through one. I have lost them when the tip became wedged between rocks or the pole went down a hole and came back out without a tip. The replacement tips I bought along the Camino wore through in an hour. YMMV. The replacement tips did fit my PacerPoles well and I did not realize that there may be different pole diameters where the rubber tips attach as others have mentioned.

€60,-
Nordic Excel poles require their own make if replacement tips. For my Fizan N. poles I bought spare tips in Sarria that fitted.

You've already got a great pack weight, and have obviously spent a lot of time considering your items. I walked with a 10lb pack, and one of the things that caused me to change a few items was practicing walking with the pack and the gear. If you've never walked with a pack before, I think this is key. Start walking with the pack, at around half the weight you plan to carry, then slowly build up to your goal pack weight. Plus, do this again as your practice distances increase. I found that whatever weight was easy to carry at 5km felt exponentially harder at 10km, 15km, 20km... the second day of 20km... Same with your gear. You maybe love your shoes, socks, bra, etc at 5km, but at the second day of 20km you realize it's not gonna work. You don't need to "wear out" your gear by wearing every time you practice, but make sure to get a few trials in there at different distances and frequencies. It was a revelation for me!!

I suppose the question is do you carry your own pack or do you forward it on because it seems to me there are not many mature pilgrims who do and if so then the question is irrelevant.
@Mick McQueen, we carried our packs. We don't have any issue with the use of pack transport, but neither my wife nor I used it.

I am wondering what assessment you made to determine whether someone was a mature pilgrim? I would like to know how I can avoid such a patronizing appellation.

Last edited:

€149,-
I would drop:
-- 1 pair of leggings
-- 1 pair of Injini
-- 1 Nike Tech Top

Re. the Injini toe socks.. the only blisters I got last year were from my toes rubbing together or overlapping. The injini socks prevented this so were life savers. Without them, I needed to constantly re-tape my feet.

@Mick McQueen, we carried our packs. We don't have any issue with the use of pack transport, but neither my wife and I used it.

I am wondering what assessment you made to determine whether someone was a mature pilgrim? I would like to know how I can avoid such a patronizing appellation.

I like to say You're only young once, but you can be immature all your life :)

Mature pilgrim here having reached 3 score years and ten!
2012 - 2014 on CF various etapes including the Pyrenees I carried my rucksack. Everytime I lost toe nails.
2015 / 16 on account of injury I had it transported. Toe nails all in pristine condition and not one blister.
2017 short 3 day solo trek on Voie de Paris Tours I carried my rucksack with no problem. O. K. a really minimal load and sadly I lost two toenails but had no other injuries.

Do not underestimate the abilities of the more mature pilgrims.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.