• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your 'Dream Camino,' and why?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
By a stroke of good fortune, I will be in Europe and have 2 weeks 'free' to walk this spring.
For which I am deeply, deeply, grateful.

But in considering and reading about where to go in this little window of time, I sometimes find myself thinking instead about that perfect camino.. a combination of mountains ( the more the merrier), meseta, authenticity, quiet, comradeship, visigothic and romanesque churches, roman ruins, and celtc roundhouses, places of pilgrimage and silence...
In other words, the mirage of the Camino 'I'd really love to be able to do someday...'

No-one else here does this, right? o_O:D
Go ahead, prove me wrong...What is your current 'flame'?

Mine is:
Aragones from Pau to Frances at PlR
Frances to Leon
(With a walking side trip at Burgos back and forth to Silos and Santa Maria de Lara),
Salvador to Oveido
Primativo to Melide...
Frances to SdC
I wish there were a way to add the Invierno in, without walking backwards on the Frances...but no doubt some clever soul out there could come up with a way.

Well someday, maybe, I'll have the time and fitness and means to try this. And I'm pretty new at this. Dreams change. If I'm still alive and still hobbling in 20 years (Mspath and Movinmaggie, I hope to follow your examples...), it'll be interesting to see what the daydreams look like then...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My dream Camino is something like this:

It is not which route I travel or what's inside my pack.
My dream is with many steps taken that I learn, I am challenged, I evolve and adapt.
With the many hills climbed-the views take my breath away.
That while traveling on the road, many friendships are born.
At the end of the day, a good meal, a pilgrims blessing, happy feet, and a cozy bunk bed will do.
In the morning, the warmth of a good cup of coffee and croissant. (the trail will provide the berries)
Day after day I walk in the rhythm of my feet or the music in my ears. In my moments of solitude I reflect, review my life, and pray.

At last we arrive in Santiago and Journey to the Cathedral. We are tired, dirty, hungry, but full of joy.
We safely travel home with a Compostela in hand, with memories of an adventure that will linger, and a journey well traveled.

Why is it my dream? It is what I hope for at the start of any Camino. There are many things that can change on the Camino. I have just described what I would hope for on my own.

To firstly
Set foot upon Spainish earth.
To
Walk without tiring
To
Not feel my aching bones
To
See many hills..and valleys
To
Look forward to the morning
To
Look back satisfied

To taste the wine, eat pulpo and laugh in the sun
To
Speak of the deeper things
Of the lighter things
To laugh
To cry
To listen fully...

To walk from Rome to Santiago
From Geneva to Finesterre
To see my departed friend in his Beloved Emerald Isle.to pay respect to his tended Beflowered mound.

To be a Good Man and to give back to the path of Stars as is Given.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On every camino there have been stretches which seemed to be in another world. Past were the hordes of camera-clicking tourists and/or pilgrims as well as any urbane atmosphere with a bar at every corner. All was reduced to simple basics; I was alone on a seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky. The only sound was the companionable crunch of my boots and perhaps distant birdsong.

Happily for me while tramping along and alone I often sensed that special moment when everything 'clicked' realizing that this was, indeed, MY way and that all was and would be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...What I dream now is that it will be so once again.

MM

I was thinking only on the boring mundane level of where, and you've all gone wonderfully and beautifully to the heart of the matter--which of course has nothing to do with where, but with the attitude of heart that we bring to wherever.
Obviously, you're all more advanced beings than I.:)
Well...work in progress...
William, to give back...oh, yes...thinking about all the people here who do, in so many ways. Wonderful, how we lift each other up!
My next one. That's my dream. Go without expectations.
Perfect, Kanga! So many lessons and reminders here, but this is key.
What I dream now is that it will be so once again
mspath...I can only speak for myself, but know there are many here who share this sentiment: A most heartfelt "May it be so!!!"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
to be able to walk, to be able to learn, to be able to enjoy the company of other Pilgrims....

'where' is not that relevant

My "Dream Camino"? Well, I hope to retire in a few years, and nobody's going to care where I cash my pension check.... I'm enamored of the idea of picking a Camino town and renting a cheap room for a few months, then spending my days sitting at a streetside table with chorizo and good wine -- waving at the peregrinos going by!

Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, all too big. Estella might do. Or Najera. Or Astorga.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did, and loved the Ecumenical Pilgrims Way in Germany. A bit like the CF as it was many years ago, good pilgrim infrastructure (albergues), well marked ect. I am German, so I had no language issues ;-) As for 'dream camino' that would be Jerusalem, but with the current situation ... Buen Camino, SY

I did, and loved the Ecumenical Pilgrims Way in Germany. A bit like the CF as it was many years ago, good pilgrim infrastructure (albergues), well marked ect. I am German, so I had no language issues ;-) As for 'dream camino' that would be Jerusalem, but with the current situation ... Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SYates, please could you provide more details about the "Ecumenical Pilgrim Way" in Germany: where does it start, where does it end, and how do I get more information?
Thanks.

My first one! Walk the camino frances; start in SJPDP.
It has been on my bucket list for waaay too long!

What I expect:
To enjoy the incredible and magnificence of the natural world.
The camino offers me an opportunity for reflection.
Grateful for all the people I will meet along the way
Will choose to walk it because something draws me there.
The camino is for me a real gift.
I went in with an open heart

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Dream Camino: to walk in Spring and see field after field full of wild flowers, without rain, without mud. To have the stamina level that allows my walking thoughts to be less focused on the physical challenges. To have no problems with my feet. To walk with my daughter and have this be a shared, treasured memory.

To stay in albergues with shared laughter and lots of singing. To listen when it is time to listen. To cook and invite other people. To not have my sense of inner peace rattled by other people's choices. To know enough Spanish and French to do more than just get by.

To have the same sense of joy, wonder, awe and community that I had the first time I went to the noon Pilgrim's mass in Santiago.

My first in 2013 and has not stopped since.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are talking about dreams, so, here is my input. Start at Puerto de Palos (Palos de la Frontera), or El Faro de Chipiona (Sanlucar de Barrameda), and end at El Faro de Fisterra (Fisterra). Expect the first few days to be very lonely until joining the regular caminos (not an issue, I enjoy the loneliness of the long distance runner). As far as communication, not an issue (Español is my lingua materna). Already then, done writing about dreams, time to wake up now. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

My Dream Camino: to walk in Spring and see field after field full of wild flowers, without rain, without mud.

Your Dream Camino was ours this April/May: walk in Spring and see field after field full of wild flowers, without rain, without mud.

My Dream Camino - at the moment - just to be able to walk (one) again.

My Dream Camino - at the moment - just to be able to walk (one) again.
Meri, we're all behind you here, cheering you on! Looks like you and Mspath are in the same boat...

Puerto de Palos (Palos de la Frontera), or El Faro de Chipiona (Sanlucar de Barrameda)
Where are these, please, Sailor? (I have a very slow browser and can't go to Google maps...)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My "Dream Camino"? Well, I hope to retire in a few years, and nobody's going to care where I cash my pension check.... I'm enamored of the idea of picking a Camino town and renting a cheap room for a few months, then spending my days sitting at a streetside table with chorizo and good wine -- waving at the peregrinos going by!

Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, all too big. Estella might do. Or Najera. Or Astorga.
Sitting at a table and waving at the pilgrims going by!!! No, I don't think you would be able to resist joining them!!! Your feet would just have to keep moving methinks!!!

What a wonderful topic and what beautiful replies! I have two dream caminos. One involves walking from my house to Dublin port and boarding a sailing boat, sailing to Biarritz/ Bayonne, and walking the CF, on to Finisterre, and sailing/walking back to my home (I know, we're in winning the lottery territory here but if you're dreaming, you may as well dream big!). Bigger still is the plan that resides on my computer under the title "The Great Pilgrimage" which involves a walk/ferry to Spain, walking the Northern Route to SdC, backwards on the CF, Somport Pass, Arles, Menton, via Francigena and Rome. From there if goes all quite fuzzy with various options of walking and ferries connections across an increasingly troubled region. As you say, Viranani, we pray.

Although I may never have the opportunity to do either of these in their entirety, my dreaming keeps me entertained and what I dream of most about them is what others here have so eloquently expressed: the desire for time, space, solitude, companionship, gratitude, wonder and all of these wonderful emotions which the soul senses but the mind has no words for.

. . . .Where are these, please, Sailor? (I have a very slow browser and can't go to Google maps... . . . )
Good question by Viranani. Both are located on the Golfo de Cadiz area on the south-western coast of Spain. As a navigation aficionado I would leave from Puerto de Palos (Palos de la Frontera), randevouz with El Camino del Sur at Trigueros, continue to Zafra, and then north on Via de la Plata. On the other route I would leave from El Faro de Chipiona (Sanlucar de Barrameda), randevouz with La Via Augusta at Las Cabezas de San Juan, continue to Sevilla, then north on Via de la Plata. This is just a good dream! Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's a definite nautical theme going right now on the forum...Sailor and Gigiberry here and Deise's post (et seq...) here:
just as a matter of interest in 2008 a newly built three-mast replica sailing ship made the journey from Waterford to Spain with 29 pilgrims on board.
Ship is called jeannie johnson

cobh_jeannie_johnson.jpg
Sailor, these sound like very old routes, indeed--yes?

Last edited:
. . . Sailor, these sound like very old routes, indeed--yes?
These (Palos de la Frontera and Sanlucar de Barrameda) are very old towns with [nautical] historical significance dating back to the Cristopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan days.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
By a stroke of good fortune, I will be in Europe and have 2 weeks 'free' to walk this spring.
For which I am deeply, deeply, grateful.

But in considering and reading about where to go in this little window of time, I sometimes find myself thinking instead about that perfect camino.. a combination of mountains ( the more the merrier), meseta, authenticity, quiet, comradeship, visigothic and romanesque churches, roman ruins, and celtc roundhouses, places of pilgrimage and silence...
In other words, the mirage of the Camino 'I'd really love to be able to do someday...'

No-one else here does this, right? o_O:D
Go ahead, prove me wrong...What is your current 'flame'?

Mine is:
Aragones from Pau to Frances at PlR
Frances to Leon
(With a walking side trip at Burgos back and forth to Silos and Santa Maria de Lara),
Salvador to Oveido
Primativo to Melide...
Frances to SdC
I wish there were a way to add the Invierno in, without walking backwards on the Frances...but no doubt some clever soul out there could come up with a way.

Well someday, maybe, I'll have the time and fitness and means to try this. And I'm pretty new at this. Dreams change. If I'm still alive and still hobbling in 20 years (Mspath and Movinmaggie, I hope to follow your examples...), it'll be interesting to see what the daydreams look like then...
Viranani,
The Aragones is absolutely lovely, I started in Oloron which a short train ride from Pau. It is a solitary journey which was/is my objective anytime I walk. In 2016 I'm starting Huesca and visiting San Juan de Pena before I start walking to my assignment at San Anton on June 14.
My dream Camino would is to be dropped off somewhere in Spain and find my way to a Camino, any Camino and walk to Fisterre.

The Aragones is absolutely lovely, I started in Oloron which a short train ride from Pau.
Thanks, Don...it is definitely on the to do someday list, even more so after reading your post. But not 2016. Someday when it I can walk a little later than March so that I can also walk to Oviedo from Leon (alas, that will mean the Frances will be more crowded...I guess you can't have everything)

My dream Camino would is to be dropped off somewhere in Spain and find my way to a Camino, any Camino and walk to Fisterre.
Exactly why I posted this thread...that wouldn't have occurred to me in 1000 years, and it's a great idea. You'd be blindfolded on the way there, I suppose? :DMaybe after San Anton, Reb would be convinced to get you totally lost?? Hee hee...I can see it now--
"Ta taaaa, Don. have fu-un"...

To firstly
Set foot upon Spainish earth.
To
Walk without tiring
To
Not feel my aching bones
To
See many hills..and valleys
To
Look forward to the morning
To
Look back satisfied

To taste the wine, eat pulpo and laugh in the sun
To
Speak of the deeper things
Of the lighter things
To laugh
To cry
To listen fully...

To walk from Rome to Santiago
From Geneva to Finesterre
To see my departed friend in his Beloved Emerald Isle.to pay respect to his tended Beflowered mound.

Wow! Once again on this forum. Wish I had said that.
Buen (well-versed) Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back