• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your reason to walk the camino?

Bloementuintjes

I find myself NOT happy in work. VERY happy in love, but nevertheless looking for me and Hoping to find the meaning of my life. Sounds a bit obvious maybe, but i think i need to spend a while with myself and be curious to everything and everyone that passes my way. I AM really looking forward to meet all of you and life!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will reply to you since noone else have.

First: I believe many people, not just you, are unhappy with their work. For many (most?), it is just a way to keep life going, fighting monthly expenses. Most of them just keep on going in their treadmills. I would say you are one step ahead, since you have started to think/reflect upon it.

Glad you are happy in love. Many people haven't found that luck. But love can materialise in many ways ;)

Meaning of life... THE question we all long for the answer to! :) Again: Many people ask that question: Few do something about it. They just keep on doing what they always have done. Remember: If you keep on doing the same things all the time, you will receive the same results all the time...

Spending time with oneself: Now you are on track! The Camino is a fantastic way (!) to ponder your life, think, reflect, and maybe receive completely new angles onto your life. But the Camino is a hard walk: It is not easy. You may experience pain, exhaustion, tiredness, depression, not reaching your goals, etc. But you have found a great forum here: People more eloquent and experienced than me, and with more insight, are posting their reflexions here. Read as much as you can. But don't expect the walk to be a romantic one: Rather, a journey into yourself, crossing beautiful landscapes in rural Spain, but not without effort and maybe some pain..

By walking, and coming out in the other end (Santiago), you will (hopefully) have learned a lot about yourself, your closest, values of your life, and what you are capable of. And you will have found new friends. You have also done something active in order to get more insight into your life and yourself. It is worth it. ;)

I can only speak for myself: After 3 caminos, I have found ideas of how to completely change my life, and I most likely will, in the near future. I got the insight while walking my Caminos. It took some time, but now I'm nearly there.

IMHO, the Camino is not a quick fix for your general problems, but you may be surprised by all the life-changing solutions it offers while you are walking, and not least, when you realise what you have actually achieved at the end of the day... It might just set you free...

Last edited:
I find myself NOT happy in work. VERY happy in love, but nevertheless looking for me and Hoping to find the meaning of my life. Sounds a bit obvious maybe, but i think i need to spend a while with myself and be curious to everything and everyone that passes my way. I AM really looking forward to meet all of you and life!

Actually i love your straight forward honesty. I too am looking for something. What that is usually depends on the day! But in general I'm hoping to ponder, reflect, find forgiveness, peace, inner strength, direction and courage.. Maybe I will find one and maybe gain all. Who knows. I'm at a crossroads and I'm hoping the camino will help me find my way. :)
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will reply to you since noone else have.

First: I believe many people, not just you, are unhappy with their work. For many (most?), it is just a way to keep life going, fighting monthly expenses. Most of them just keep on going in their treadmills. I would say you are one step ahead, since you have started to think/reflect upon it.

Glad you are happy in love. Many people haven't found that luck. But love can materialise in many ways ;)

Meaning of life... THE question we all long for the answer to! :) Again: Many people ask that question: Few do something about it. They just keep on doing what they always have done. Remember: If you keep on doing the same things all the time, you will receive the same results all the time...

Spending time with oneself: Now you are on track! The Camino is a fantastic way (!) to ponder your life, think, reflect, and maybe receive completely new angles onto your life. But the Camino is a hard walk: It is not easy. You may experience pain, exhaustion, tiredness, depression, not reaching your goals, etc. But you have found a great forum here: People more eloquent and experienced than me, and with more insight, are posting their reflexions here. Read as much as you can. But don't expect the walk to be a romantic one: Rather, a journey into yourself, crossing beautiful landscapes in rural Spain, but not without effort and maybe some pain..

By walking, and coming out in the other end (Santiago), you will (hopefully) have learned a lot about yourself, your closest, values of your life, and what you are capable of. And you will have found new friends. You have also done something active in order to get more insight into your life and yourself. It is worth it. ;)

I can only speak for myself: After 3 caminos, I have found ideas of how to completely change my life, and I most likely will, in the near future. I got the insight while walking my Caminos. It took some time, but now I'm nearly there.

IMHO, the Camino is not a quick fix for your general problems, but you may be surprised by all the life-changing solutions it offers while you are walking, and not least, when you realise what you have actually achieved at the end of the day... It might just set you free...
My Camino friend Daniel says there are three parts to Camino -- at least to the Camino Frances. I'm sure the many other routes have something of a common theme.
  • First, from St Jean to Burgos is the time for physically acclimating one's self to the rigors involved in walking 10-20 miles per day with all your belongings resting on your hips and shoulders. Here is where many Camino friendships first develop as everyone you encounter is adjusting to the same aches, pains, and blisters, creating a sort of camaraderie among pilgrims.
  • Second, from Burgos to Leon, walking through the wide open expanses of the Meseta is the time when one faces the demons in his life -- lost loves, unhappy work or relationship situations, and so forth. As Daniel says in his blog, "There is no place [on the Meseta] to hide from the sun on a hot day and metaphorically no place to hide from yourself."
  • Lastly, from Leon through Galicia to Santiago is the time when one prepares spiritually, opening his/her heart for the physical and emotional arrival in Santiago and what lies beyond. This is the time to sort through one's life and to begin forming a plan of where to go from here when you re-enter the "real" world.
Buen Camino,
Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have several reasons, and these are in no particular order: getting in shape / losing weight, spiritual (NOT religious), personal challenge to prove to myself I can, to do something interesting that most people wouldn't even really consider, to speak French and Spanish (I love languages)... I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them right now.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back