• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your reason?

Samantha Hussey

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Hi All,
On the 23rd August I completed my very special camino journey from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela for a number of reasons. During my journey I was intrigued at just how many diverse reasons people had chosen to walk 'The Way"...

As a travel journalist I am always eager to write about my personal experiences, and being humbled at the many special and inspiring stories of why so many people had chosen to give up weeks out of their ordinary lives to walk such a historic trail has gotten me writing about the many types of reasons people choose to do it. I have a few examples and quotes from people whom I met along the way however if anyone else would like to write a short quote or explanation on their own reason however unpersonal or personal you want to be with your name I would be greatly appreciated. It will be featured on my own travel website blog. If you feel like emailing me please do so at samantha@thewanderingwanderluster.com

This is a piece I feel I have to write just because there were so many beautiful stories behind the reasons that need to be shared.

Thanks all! :) Buen Camino as always!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola, Samantha,

I don't know whether my reason(s) is/are beautiful, interesting, emotional etc. or not because I had forgotten about them years ago. Now I just walk ;)
Wish you a lot more interesting answers from others and good luck with your work!

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I may, I think many of us here would question your question: it is not a mater of giving up weeks of our ordinary lives to walk the Caminos.

This is something we look forward to, something we wish we could do more often, for longer stretches, sooner in our lives. There is no sacrifice here, quite the opposite. It's the idea and planning of the Camino that helps put up with the ordinay life of "metro-boulot-dodo" (subway, work, sleep) knowing that we are earning vacatin days and money to pay for these flights, equipment, etc. It's the Camino that connects us back to life and reminds us that "ordinary life" really is not all that it should be. It's the annual physical boot camp and meditatation retreat.

I for one would forgo "ordinary life" for the life the Camino gives me. It's where I am at my best, connected to nature, others and myself. Not to the need to make money to pay my mortagage and fuel my pension fund and the rat race that comes with that.

Not meaning for this to be used as a quote anywhere, just wondering if how you are phrasing your question is the most appropriate.

Hi All,
On the 23rd August I completed my very special camino journey from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela for a number of reasons. During my journey I was intrigued at just how many diverse reasons people had chosen to walk 'The Way"...

As a travel journalist I am always eager to write about my personal experiences, and being humbled at the many special and inspiring stories of why so many people had chosen to give up weeks out of their ordinary lives to walk such a historic trail has gotten me writing about the many types of reasons people choose to do it. I have a few examples and quotes from people whom I met along the way however if anyone else would like to write a short quote or explanation on their own reason however unpersonal or personal you want to be with your name I would be greatly appreciated. It will be featured on my own travel website blog. If you feel like emailing me please do so at samantha@thewanderingwanderluster.com

This is a piece I feel I have to write just because there were so many beautiful stories behind the reasons that need to be shared.

Thanks all! :) Buen Camino as always!
Welcome Samantha from another newbie. Whether you are a journalist or a blogger, I do understand your desire to have others share this subject. I can only say that for me much of it is personal, but not all of it. As our generous veterans have read more than a few times, I wish to time my walk to arrive at Santiago de Compostela Cathedral to mark my 80th birthday. I also believe that many walk not knowing the reason consciously, but find it revealed to them along the way. I have heard a few stories like this. I also think many people walk…..just to walk.

Thanks Movinmaggie: If I may I'll just call you mm for short. Last night on this Labor day weekend, I was blessed by the opportunity to sit around with my family and discuss the many vacations and camping trips., an travels that we have gone on. They , my family knows that I want to do the Way. I too, can not say way, but I know that there is something wanting me to do it. We sat around like most families do and talked about who was in and when we wanted to do it. There was some agreement as to when and how long we could take to do it. One Daughter is a teacher, so it would have to be a summer, another will soon retire and will be more flexible. I think that the two of them with others to join, husband, children etc. will find their time and reason. My wife is concerned about us. I'm 78 and she is 73 and we both have some issues as one would expect rom our age, but they are not debilitating. My goal is to start in early September 2017 and I am looking at 60 days + a few for further exploring. Samantha, I don't know why I want so much to go for this walk it's just something telling me that I should. To mm, thank you so much for saying your 80th birthday as I try to explain to the love of my life that we can do this. Thanks to all and Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Movinmaggie: If I may I'll just call you mm for short. Last night on this Labor day weekend, I was blessed by the opportunity to sit around with my family and discuss the many vacations and camping trips., an travels that we have gone on. They , my family knows that I want to do the Way. I too, can not say way, but I know that there is something wanting me to do it. We sat around like most families do and talked about who was in and when we wanted to do it. There was some agreement as to when and how long we could take to do it. One Daughter is a teacher, so it would have to be a summer, another will soon retire and will be more flexible. I think that the two of them with others to join, husband, children etc. will find their time and reason. My wife is concerned about us. I'm 78 and she is 73 and we both have some issues as one would expect rom our age, but they are not debilitating. My goal is to start in early September 2017 and I am looking at 60 days + a few for further exploring. Samantha, I don't know why I want so much to go for this walk it's just something telling me that I should. To mm, thank you so much for saying your 80th birthday as I try to explain to the love of my life that we can do this. Thanks to all and Buen Camino
Of course you can….and much of the fun is in the planning of it. Buen Camino

If I may, I think many of us here would question your question: it is not a mater of giving up weeks of our ordinary lives to walk the Caminos.

This is something we look forward to, something we wish we could do more often, for longer stretches, sooner in our lives. There is no sacrifice here, quite the opposite. It's the idea and planning of the Camino that helps put up with the ordinay life of "metro-boulot-dodo" (subway, work, sleep) knowing that we are earning vacatin days and money to pay for these flights, equipment, etc. It's the Camino that connects us back to life and reminds us that "ordinary life" really is not all that it should be. It's the annual physical boot camp and meditatation retreat.

I for one would forgo "ordinary life" for the life the Camino gives me. It's where I am at my best, connected to nature, others and myself. Not to the need to make money to pay my mortagage and fuel my pension fund and the rat race that comes with that.

Not meaning for this to be used as a quote anywhere, just wondering if how you are phrasing your question is the most appropriate.
WOW, hats off for one of the best descriptions of what we're really into!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Signs From My Heart, Pointed Me Towards Walking The CaminoView media item 3482:
A few years back I watched the movie, "The Way". Looking down at my hand to a cross/crown ring I've worn for a very long time, I realized that this was specifically the Sword of Saint James cross...I knew I would have a very specific Camino one day. I then met a man who had already done the Camino Frances and was hoping to do another Camino...we became a couple. Within both of our names you'll find 'Camargo' and 'Valle'. In the Valle De Camargo (Cantabria, Spain) is where we plan to start our Camino.

A few years back I watched the movie, "The Way". Looking down at my hand to a cross/crown ring I've worn for a very long time, I realized that this was specifically the Sword of Saint James cross...I knew I would have a very specific Camino one day. I then met a man who had already done the Camino Frances and was hoping to do another Camino...we became a couple. Within both of our names you'll find 'Camargo' and 'Valle'. In the Valle De Camargo (Cantabria, Spain) is where we plan to start our Camino.
Beautiful!

Camino #1? Could not have told you. At the time, it seemed as though I came to SJPP as a victim of several and sequential accidents.

Camino #2? Because I learned during #1 what @Anemone del Camino has so eloquently, beautifully stated
It's the Camino that connects us back to life and reminds us that "ordinary life" really is not all that it should be. It's the annual physical boot camp and meditatation retreat.

I for one would forgo "ordinary life" for the life the Camino gives me. It's where I am at my best, connected to nature, others and myself.
...that and helping out a friend.

I cannot remember the other wise poster who noted some time back on another thread that "...whatever you thought the reason was at the outset, it was something different at the end."

B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My first Camino was formed with a very specific intent of giving thanks.

Why do we walk? To walk in wonder and praise and joy, to deeply feel each moment, to share love, human experiences and wisdom, to meet the good and funny face of humanity, to marvel at history and our diversity, to be humbled by the glory of nature, to revel in the power and endurance of our bodies; to glimpse what is beyond.

RumAndChupacabras: what a nice story!

it is not a matter of giving up weeks of our ordinary lives to walk the Caminos.
This is something we look forward to, something we wish we could do more often, for longer stretches, sooner in our lives. There is no sacrifice here, quite the opposite.
So true! I was thinking today before I read this thread, that a true sacrifice would be to give it up.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

To Anemone del Camino

Sorry perhaps I should of worded it differently. I didn't mean we give up 5 weeks as if we were sacrificing our lives...I simply meant we leave our lives for 5 weeks :) and of course the camino is meant to help with returning to our lives healthier in mind, body and spirit

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

As it is my anniversary since I walked my last Camino, I am dealing with memories as I have till next Sept. 2016 before I take to the Way and head to see Santiago again. I am planning reviewing the route that I will Take from Barcelona and the thought of all the new friends I am going to greet. I hope all those that are walking find joy and happiness, Buen Camino.

My first Camino was formed with a very specific intent of giving thanks.

Why do we walk? To walk in wonder and praise and joy, to deeply feel each moment, to share love, human experiences and wisdom, to meet the good and funny face of humanity, to marvel at history and our diversity, to be humbled by the glory of nature, to revel in the power and endurance of our bodies; to glimpse what is beyond.
...to glimpse what is beyond..... I LOVE IT Kanga :)

I have thought really long and hard about this, but . . . there is no reason. Does there have to be one? Jill
Well, if you are a freelance journalist / travel writer looking for your next piece of work, I suspect it helps to have an interesting and entertaining blog. There may be a genuine interest in sharing the beautiful stories, but I get a strong sniff of commercial motivation here as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
dougfitz's post is an interesting one and struck a chord with me regarding some concerns the OP prompted. Having only joined this year I am still learning the unwritten rules governing use of the forum. Clearly this is a public space, but many members can be remarkably candid and emotionally open in their postings. My own contributions have assumed that 'we are family', even though I also understand that such communications are part of the public sphere. so what I am trying to say/ask is, is it correct to assume that 'what gets said on the forum stays on the forum' or have there been instances where postings have made their way into publications without agreement first being sought?

In her OP, @Samantha Hussey did ask for contributions to be mailed to her, and made it quite clear she intended to use them on her blog. She has been quite clear about her intent, as far as it goes. If you were to respond to her this way, it seems to me you would be tacitly agreeing to the publication of anything you said in that email.

She has not indicated she will use contributions to this thread or the forum generally on her blog.

That was also my understanding. The OP makes this clear in asking for people to contact her directly. My comments were prompted by the content of that posting to ask what I thought was a general question (perhaps not as well expressed as I might have wished) about if there were any rules or implicit guidelines governing use of material posted on the forum that does not have prior permission from the contributor. Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask for answers but I cannot find it discussed elsewhere.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back