• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Item Triggers Flashback Memories of the Camino

Wayne of LaVerne

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 bike, solo & lost, SJPP-Santiago via Napoleon Route
Mine is Dr Bronners Peppermint All One Hemp Soap. I had never used it before the Camino. Forum had recommended it for bathing & washing clothes. Now whenever I shower, the smell of it brings me back to a tight cramped shower feeling wonderfully refreshed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a flashback this morning at the gym. A song came on and I was right back on the Camino.

It was our last leg, final kilometers to Santiago. We stopped for a snack and a beverage at a place that looked sort of like a park, maybe a campground. There was a restaurant with a lot of outdoor seating under some trees. Music was playing - kind of random, mostly pop. We hung out awhile - kind of stalling because while we wanted to get to Santiago, we also didn't want to get to Santiago - I am sure most pilgrims know that feeling. Then California Gurls by Katy Perry came on - poppiest of the pop song genre, but we are Californians and Katy's singing about us :) We took it as our queue to get going and finish the journey into Santiago - it was time. We collected our packs and danced our way out of there, waving our poles in the air. People were clapping and hooting. We felt like Shaft with theme music.

California girls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
West coast represent (west coast, west coast)
Now put your hands up
Ooh oh ooh
Ooh oh ooh

So now, every time I hear that song, I think of that magical moment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mine is the camino coffee cup I bought in Santiago. I will be at work, toughing out an issue, pick up my cup and my mind goes back to the experience and it reminds me to just chill out.

Whenever I drive past a bicycle on my local roads I think of 800km over 12 days, what was I thinking !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This forum. Although I suppose it is not an "item". For an object - seeing my backpack in the store-room.

Any song from original The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack ... I must've listened to it dozens of times during the last week on the CF, especially whenever I found myself among several "loud talker" groups of people who started in Sarria. Besides, several of those old songs have a good walking beat to them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rain on a dusty road, and the sight (and sound) of pigs free ranging for nuts... Well that's what reminded me of the Vdlp today.

If this is not a "sign" calling you back to the Camino, I am not sure what is !

Don't need much help on the 'calling you back' front. My September Camino Primitivo will be my fifth year in a row in Spain.
April 2019 we will walk from Leon with friends that are Camino 'newbies.' I already warned them of the addictive nature of Camino life. I think they thought I was just kidding!

I didn't listen to any music on the Frances until walking the meseta, when I finally decided to listen to "Coldplay"s album, Ghost Stories. I loved it and was so invigorated I actually skipped a few times along the trail. A really dumb thing to do with my pack on...especially as my sons looked at me in horror, waiting for my back to go out!

Now when walking locally, this music brings me right back to the meseta and I daydream of more Caminos! (Leaving again May 30th!)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I see a quiet road stretching into the horizon (doesn't happen too often as I live in the center of the city).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a flashback this morning at the gym. A song came on and I was right back on the Camino.

It was our last leg, final kilometers to Santiago. We stopped for a snack and a beverage at a place that looked sort of like a park, maybe a campground. There was a restaurant with a lot of outdoor seating under some trees. Music was playing - kind of random, mostly pop. We hung out awhile - kind of stalling because while we wanted to get to Santiago, we also didn't want to get to Santiago - I am sure most pilgrims know that feeling. Then California Gurls by Katy Perry came on - poppiest of the pop song genre, but we are Californians and Katy's singing about us :) We took it as our queue to get going and finish the journey into Santiago - it was time. We collected our packs and danced our way out of there, waving our poles in the air. People were clapping and hooting. We felt like Shaft with theme music.

California girls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
West coast represent (west coast, west coast)
Now put your hands up
Ooh oh ooh
Ooh oh ooh

So now, every time I hear that song, I think of that magical moment.

As a last minute packer, I grabbed one of my Father's handkerchiefs from my linen closet with the thought....., softer and lighter weight than my usual hiking bandana. (My Father had been gone for many years). As I reached into my pocket to use it for different things, (quite utilitarian!,) I thought of my Father many times and carried him with me through my whole Camino. He was a practical, quiet man. It made so much sense to carry him with me this way although that wasn't my intention during my packing rush. What a serendipitous discovery. Now when I catch a glance at it in the closet the memories flood back. Such a blessing in a hankie!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A bright sunny day with my good friends and a few cervezas always sets my mind to wondering..right back to some alburgue patio/front lawn/etc.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back