• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

What items are you glad/wish you had brought?

coldweather

Are there items that you are very glad you brought or wish you had brought? I do not mean things like sleeping bag, etc.

I am finalizing my backing list and looking for suggestions on things that are better brought from home.

What items did you find very expensive to buy in Spain that you wish you had brought from home.

Things that come to mind are items like ibuprophen, bug spray, sun screen, hand sanitizer, handi wipes, granola bars, etc.

Thanks in advance. This forum is interesting and I like the supportive/constructive but not critical answers/contributions provided.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two things come to mind: (1) Q-tips; and (2) Soft-picks for flossing in-between my teeth after a meal. :D

My shemagh (million and one uses) and a roll of surgical tape. I taped any rub points as soon as I felt them and not a single blister.

I did it very light, 30 litre rucksack. I literally had just the clothes I stood up in. I don't think I had anything I didn't need. I think part of it is realising how little you actually need.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A few Zip Lock bags will come in handy to keep your creditials and passport dry both from rain and perspiration.

Hi coldweather,

Make sure you have enough ibuprophen. Ibuprophen is expensive in spain, also they come in strong dosages of 1000 mg and 600 mg. sun screen is also very dear. If you are missing any other things, just go into any china bazar (spain's equivalence of pound shop, 99p store, dollar shop), they have practically everything that you have forgotten to bring. And there are everywhere in practically all pueblos and cities of different sizes.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sun lock is a must. I don't carry medicines or things to heal because they have it in most albergues so it's extra weight.

I carry 1 roll of biodegradable toilet paper. You never know when you have to go (sorry if it sounds nasty, but drinking from some water fountains have that side effect).

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Deva (Gijón) - Lourenzá (Lugo) [2011]
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)
Santiago - Fisterra - MuxĂ­a - Fisterra (2013)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"I carry 1 roll of biodegradable toilet paper."

I agree with this. No matter where I travel, I always bring a half-roll of toilet paper! You never know when you're going to need it.

But remember to leave no trace and carry it out with you too! I've never been on the camino before, but as a hiker, nothing's grosser than coming across used toilet paper right off the path. Yuck!

I have a zip bag for that. Never leave the paper on the Camino!

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What I have learned is to bring with me sanitizing napkins for cleaning myself. To be blunt about it, you sometimes need to go to the bathroom in the morning and not have the time for a shower (on the way; clean up after yourself, as some say!). To be able to wash and clean yourself "there" is a relief and makes a good day. And also, in very warm conditions, sweat combined with "not-so-clean" areas can provoke soreness and irritation. Not to mention creating an underwear disaster that is impossible to wash off... :wink: Cleanliness is an important issue when you are on the way.

That's the topic anyone can just speak for itself. So:

- a book: since I'm a "serial reader" I just can't go anywhere without a book. For Camino (or several days mountain trips) I take light-weight paperback thick editions with small letters with me,

- a dose of talk powder: I sweat a lot and if you walk the Camino in the warm months it is very useful,

- multi-use swiss-knife: you can do miracles with that one, also have a toothpick and scissors!!!

- pen and small notebook: mobile phone could be stealed, might get out of energy etc., hard writting is safe :D ,

- Compeed: essential!!! I've never used one, but had the chance to help other pilgrims. But you never know, because "life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get" (Forrest Gump),

- flip-flops: oooh, what a relief after 20km on asphalt or senda. You would think you're walking like Jesus himself :D

- salt: a small dose, because in Spain (and Portugal especially) they're not using it adequatelly for my taste and needs (a lot of sweating), loosing he minerals and salts,

- head-lamp: usefull anyway and also if you're not too sleepy you can still read in the bed. But, please, at least turn away from the others (to the wall),

- money change: always carry at least 10€ in coins. With that you can pay for immediate expenses (where they don't accept credit cards for example) or gave some away to robbers. Just kidding, just kidding :D

- moisturizing cream: really soothing if walking in the hot months. Just grease the skin really well in the evening and everything will be OK. You don't have to carry 5 different creams with you.

- UV protecting lip balm: very usefull, because from time to time you'll get a little bit dehydrated,

- 0,5l plastic flasks: at least 3 of them and try to carry one of them on your body if you dont have the "camel-bag" (is that the right word?) in your back-pack. They actually don't weight much more than the water in them. Why carry termo flasks???

- smile: it's up to you, how you use it :wink:

That's it for now. I'm sure there's more to it, but..., youl'll find out!

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are using a mixture of Vaseline and Vicks on our feet every morning....lovely smooth blister free feet and menthol scented walking shoes!
Sarah and Louise

Antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or similar) I found to be extremely expensive and hard to find in Spain. Also contact solution, but I bit the bullet and bought it along the path as I didn't want to carry too much.

I was most grateful for a reusable cloth grocery bag or two. The best was a zipping backpack style one that I bought at Decathlon for €4.95. Very light and great for carrying valuables around securely.

Re: Re: What items are you glad/wish you had brought?

juliecarteraz said:
Stuart: What is a shemagh, and its million uses? Thanks! Julie

It's an Arab type scarf, basically a big square of fabric. I've used it to keep the sun off, protection from the wind, a towel, a bed sheet, carrying stuff, a bandage, warmth... Whatever you can think of. I've even actually used it as a scarf :)

They cost not very much. Look for ones genuinely made in the middle east (usually by small family workshops) as the little factories are struggling against cheap Chinese imports.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

StuartM said:
.........an Arab type scarf, basically a big square of fabric.

The scarf is the one thing that I did forget Autumn 2012.
I will upgrade to a wifi phone - everything is WiFi nowdays .........

My gas stove - with detatchable refill - I was able to buy a GAZ canister in Pamplona as well as Condes at a very reasonable price. What a pleasure to have tea , soup or coffee wherever , whenever.

gloves in june/july, just cheap, light thin ones, but worn on several occasions...

and jewelry & mascara, not relevant for all though, i suspect...

Nail scissors! And I second the scarf, I used it as sleeves in the sun, a shawl at night, table cloth when eating outdoors, towel for drying my hair, and also as an anti-falling-out-of-top-bunk device and bottom-bunk foot hammock :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having just gotten back from walking Leon to Santiago. I am so glad I took gortex trousers and a poncho essential when it was blizzard conditions in o cerbrerio, and pouring from the heavens for two solid days last week
headtorch (for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and early morning starts
Tiny tube of hand cream (hands got very dry first week because of the very cold wind when using walking poles)
Water proof pouch for credential.
Mostly I am glad that I took the attitude to be open to whatever opportunities/experiences came my way. Rarely have i felt so blessed.
Now planning when to do the first 300 miles to Leon.
Amy kate

I'm always happy I brought my stretchy travel clothesline.
Sometimes there is no room on the drying rack.
Also, I can use it to stretch between the bunkbed posts, hang some clothes, and have a bit of privacy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
8-10 safety pins came in handy to pin wet socks on the backpack to dry in the mornings.

Hard plastic box 18x13x6 cm with lid to keep cheese, chorizo, food in.

Large waterproof bag to keep backpack together for airline transport. Once on the camino the bag became an inner shell in the backpack for all the items -> dry gear.

A few photos of my family.

Buen Camino.

I forgot to add one thing I'll never ever forget to bring. An anti bug spray.

Last September when I was doing IrĂşn-Santander I was bitten by bugs. It was too hot in the albergues and most of the nights I was out of my bedbag.

One week after I arrived back home I couldn't get up from bed because I had a HUGE headache.
My father is a medical doctor and asked me to go to the hospital. Got blood tests, 20 lumbar punctions without anesthesia and they told me I got Meningitis caused by bugs from the albergues. Had to stay 2 weeks at home.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

Whoah!
This is the first time I've heard you can get meningitis from bugs.
I'm surprised, but I also am sympathetic.
I had meningitis as a little girl, and it was no fun!
I remember those spinal taps, as we used to call them.

I don't blame you for carrying bug spray!

I carry it also.
Not to spray on my body, but to test the beds for bedbugs!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Annie. You can ask any medical doctor and he can tell you you can get a meningitis after get bitten by chinches or garrapatas (dunno the English names of the bugs).

Even if the albergue is cleaned, many people gets inside with their boots on and can bring any bug from the Camino.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/docume ... is_faq.pdf

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

People on the forum have always been under the impression that bedbug bites are harmless. I honestly think your experience deserves its own thread. This is new information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really sorry to hear about your experience with bug bites MacSierra. Glad you are recovered!

One of the items I found to be very handy was a simple cotton scarf. It was long enough to wind around my neck but small enough to stuff in a spare water bottle with just enough water to get it sopping wet. I would tie this around my neck to keep cool when walking in July.

Also, icebreaker sleeves were great for the morning. When it started to get warm, I could just pull them off without stopping and tuck them into a pocket in my pack.

Kelly

I left my levetation boots, (Also called Anti-gravity boots) at home,
They would have been useful on the walk up to O Cebreiro.

I brought a rose quartz crystal with me to calm my inner spirit... decided at 1.5 kg. it was too big so I smashed it into about 100 pieces and gave them to peregrinos I met along the way.

1.5kg of crystal pieces didn't seem too heavy, and they were all given away by the time I reached Santiago.

skilsaw said:
I left my levetation boots, (Also called Anti-gravity boots) at home,
They would have been useful on the walk up to O Cebreiro.

I brought a rose quartz crystal with me to calm my inner spirit... decided at 1.5 kg. it was too big so I smashed it into about 100 pieces and gave them to peregrinos I met along the way.

1.5kg of crystal pieces didn't seem too heavy, and they were all given away by the time I reached Santiago.

Awesome! I have to get some of these anti-gravity boots... Do they come in gore-tex too? :D

That's a nice gesture to hand out the pieces to fellow pilgrims. Did you get any good feedback?

Miles

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Macsierra said:
Thanks Annie. You can ask any medical doctor and he can tell you you can get a meningitis after get bitten by chinches or garrapatas (dunno the English names of the bugs).

Even if the albergue is cleaned, many people gets inside with their boots on and can bring any bug from the Camino.

Hi Macsierra and other forumers, I'm on the forum planning my 2nd Camino walk and came across your post. I want to chime in to clear up a slight misconception and offer some preventative advice. I am a Medical Entomologist and specialize in insects that bite and sting. "Chinches" or "Garrapatas" are known as "bed bugs" in English.

First, I am sorry you went through such a harrowing ordeal. Your experience is exceedingly rare. In fact, no clinical meningitis cases have been definitively associated with bed bugs. All accounts are anecdotal, often with weak or absent supporting evidence. I'm surprised any medical doctor told you that meningitis is associated with bed bug bites.

Bed bugs are well known as not being biological transmitters of disease -- this means they do not inject bacteria when they bite. However, they are hypothesized mechanical transmitters of disease -- this means they could possibly pick up bacteria and carry them around long enough to deposit them on human skin. However, this has never been demonstrated clinically.

Once deposited on skin, bacteria (whether from bed bugs or not, maybe just a dirty bed) make their way to the mouth/nose/eyes, most likely when the area where bed bugs bit is scratched followed by touching of the face (e.g., eating).

Because the bacteria are not injected into the bloodstream but instead deposited on skin and then introduced orally there are two primary preventative measures to take after a harrowing night with bed bugs: 1) take a hot shower in the morning (I know, I know...) & 2) sanitize the bite areas, and regularly sanitize hands (e.g., with alcohol-based hand cleanser). I recommend regularly washing and sanitizing hands anyway to minimize other bacterial nasties. (See comment above about the ingenious bra strap sanitizer pump!)

A final note, although bed bugs can be transported from one domicile to another in bags and shoes they are not found in the wild (e.g., on trails). Most bed bug a pilgrim encounters will be residents on or near a bed.

Did the doctors identify the organism causing your meningitis? In your case, a previous human resident of a bed you slept in, a mosquito bite, or some poorly cured meat was probably the true biological vector of your meningitis-causing organism!

Thank you for clearing up the issue.
Very clear and concise information.

I recommend that anyone who still has concerns about disease originating from the BBs do some research to satisfy themselves.

I brought everything and the kitchen sink. I ended up getting rid of "everything" on the way, but ended up keeping the kitchen sink!

http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Gear-Kitc ... tchen+Sink

The Granite Gear kitchen sink ended up being the most useful, multi-purpose item I packed. This light weight (~ 4 oz.) and collapsible sack served as a scrub bucket and laundry basket. It carried my toiletries, towel, and fresh clothes into the shower. It also performed well as a makeshift picnic basket several times along the beautiful rivers where I chanced to have a dip! I still get a chuckle when I think about the expressions on the faces of my fellow peregrinos as I sunk my sore, burning feet into my ice laden portable kitchen sink! In addition to being quite the conversation piece this silly impulse buy turned out to be as indispensable as my backpack on the Camino.

Buen Camino! Y Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... after get bitten by chinches or garrapatas (dunno the English names of the bugs).
Macsierra, the doctor mentioned, chinches are bedbugs and went on to say that garrapatas meant the same thing, I respectfully disagree. He is correct in his first assertion, but garrapatas are actually called ticks. The term garrapata is in reference to the attachment of its legs into flesh, - which is exactly what ticks do :wink:

Scary stuff, those bugs! Hope to not experience any bites!!

Ultreia!

Mary

Ticks are easily removed if only recently attached. It is a good idea to ask someone to check areas you cannot see if you are walking in tick infested country, and especially if you wear shorts.
One, slightly brutal, way to remove them is too light a match, blow it out and apply the still hot tip to the ticks posterior. It will initially bite harder (ouch) but then let go. Scrape off and check that the bite area is clean. The longer it is there the more danger of infection.
Having said this the last ticks we saw were in N Argentina many years ago. If there are no better ways of removing the beasties then maybe a packet of matches is a good addition to a pack.

Ticks are easily removed if only recently attached. It is a good idea to ask someone to check areas you cannot see if you are walking in tick infested country, and especially if you wear shorts.
One, slightly brutal, way to remove them is too light a match, blow it out and apply the still hot tip to the ticks posterior. It will initially bite harder (ouch) but then let go. Scrape off and check that the bite area is clean. The longer it is there the more danger of infection.
Having said this the last ticks we saw were in N Argentina many years ago. If there are no better ways of removing the beasties then maybe a packet of matches is a good addition to a pack.

We live in tick infested country! MN has them in parks, in the forests and sometimes in your own back yard; we not only have the normal tick that you can clearly see, but also the one that is called the "deer tick" (also known as western black-legged ticks) which is very easy to miss and can cause Lyme's disease. This disease is caused by a microscopic, corkscrew-shaped bacterium that is transmitted by the bite of deer ticks after being attached for about 36 hours. The symptoms are nasty and can last for months or even years. Some of the more severe are arthritic pain and swelling in larger joints, such as in the knee, nervous system abnormalities, such as numbness, pain, partial paralysis of facial muscles, and meningitis, just like Macsierra had, and it can also Irregular heart rhythm.

Some precautions that help avoid getting ticks would be to tuck pant legs into socks to reduce the risk of ticks getting under your clothing. Spray socks and pant cuffs with a repellent for added protection. I use Permethrin. And contrary to what most people believe, doctors recommend using a pair of tweezers to grasp the tick's head as close to the skin as possible (without crushing it) and pulling it directly out. They also say to not remove ticks with petroleum jelly or hot objects, such as matches. These methods can increase the chance of a host tick injecting you with dangerous bacteria.

Yes, this is pretty nasty stuff and it is better to be a little pro-active and try to protect oneself as best as we can.

Ultreia!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Before a general panic occurs by adding tics to the growing list of things to make new pilgrims run around with their hair on fire....I have not heard of tics as a problem on the Camino. 8)

That does not mean that they do not exist but not at the concern level.

I have a thin pair of white cotton gloves, (military dress gloves are good) - excellent for moping brow, sun shade for hands, cleaning sun glasses, keeping hands warm on chilly mornings and a few other uses.

Portable bidet!!! :shock: Take a small 25 ml plastic bottle, remove the tube inside, add an inch of water, turn upside down and spray bum with water after initial paperwork. Squeaky clean = happy hiker.

Nappy pins, to attach damp socks - T-shirt - etc, to back of pack, they will not break or ping open like pegs.

HG

Hiking Gauguin said:
Portable bidet!!! :shock: Take a small 25 ml plastic bottle, remove the tube inside, add an inch of water, turn upside down and spray bum with water after initial paperwork. Squeaky clean = happy hiker.

Sheer Genius woooooooo hoooo :lol:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
grayland said:
Before a general panic occurs by adding tics to the growing list of things to make new pilgrims run around with their hair on fire....

Hahahaha!
I'm so happy YOU are the moderator, and not me.
It must be an "interesting" job. :lol: :lol: :lol:

htuten said:
Macsierra said:

Hi Macsierra and other forumers, I'm on the forum planning my 2nd Camino walk and came across your post. I want to chime in to clear up a slight misconception and offer some preventative advice. I am a Medical Entomologist and specialize in insects that bite and sting. "Chinches" or "Garrapatas" are known as "bed bugs" in English.

First, I am sorry you went through such a harrowing ordeal. Your experience is exceedingly rare. In fact, no clinical meningitis cases have been definitively associated with bed bugs. All accounts are anecdotal, often with weak or absent supporting evidence. I'm surprised any medical doctor told you that meningitis is associated with bed bug bites.

Bed bugs are well known as not being biological transmitters of disease -- this means they do not inject bacteria when they bite. However, they are hypothesized mechanical transmitters of disease -- this means they could possibly pick up bacteria and carry them around long enough to deposit them on human skin. However, this has never been demonstrated clinically.

Once deposited on skin, bacteria (whether from bed bugs or not, maybe just a dirty bed) make their way to the mouth/nose/eyes, most likely when the area where bed bugs bit is scratched followed by touching of the face (e.g., eating).

Because the bacteria are not injected into the bloodstream but instead deposited on skin and then introduced orally there are two primary preventative measures to take after a harrowing night with bed bugs: 1) take a hot shower in the morning (I know, I know...) & 2) sanitize the bite areas, and regularly sanitize hands (e.g., with alcohol-based hand cleanser). I recommend regularly washing and sanitizing hands anyway to minimize other bacterial nasties. (See comment above about the ingenious bra strap sanitizer pump!)

A final note, although bed bugs can be transported from one domicile to another in bags and shoes they are not found in the wild (e.g., on trails). Most bed bug a pilgrim encounters will be residents on or near a bed.

Did the doctors identify the organism causing your meningitis? In your case, a previous human resident of a bed you slept in, a mosquito bite, or some poorly cured meat was probably the true biological vector of your meningitis-causing organism!

First of all, I don't want to get pilgrims alarmed, what happened to me doesn't mean it's going to happen to you.

Htuten, the bedbugs and ticks can transport diseases and can cause Meningitis, Borrelia and other diseases.

http://www.tick-tweezers.com/

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking at the wording of your original question, I don't think there is any one thing that is so expensive in spain that it is worth bringing in from home and carrying extra stocks, and putting up with the excess weight in the pack, just to save a few euro. Any pharmacy product, just bring enough to begin with and you can buy more if you need it.

notion900 said:
Looking at the wording of your original question, I don't think there is any one thing that is so expensive in spain that it is worth bringing in from home and carrying extra stocks, and putting up with the excess weight in the pack, just to save a few euro. Any pharmacy product, just bring enough to begin with and you can buy more if you need it.
I totally agree. And in any case, who said that you will save a few euro? For us, the medicines and in fact all things bought in the pharmacy are cheaper in Spain.
What am I glad that I took with me? Gloves. I got a shock the first time doing the Camino, as to how cold it was early in the morning! Since then, I take them - and use the ! Anne

Such good good information here! Love the kitchen sink, if I weren't leaving in three days, I would be ordering it and taking it with! One item I have brought and hope I will fee that I can't live without is a very lightweight collapsible bowl. High protein granola, yogurt and fruit for a great start to the day! Keep up with me on facebook as I make my Camino if you would like, I will be sharing stories and photos, as well as logistics. Where did I stay, how much did I spend, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bohemian ... ion=stream

Ultreya!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peanut Butter.

I wasn't able to find it in any grocery store along the camino.

whariwharangi said:
Peanut Butter.

I wasn't able to find it in any grocery store along the camino.
I'm taking some Marmite, in the new squeezy plastic bottle!

Back