• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What keeps you going?

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Time of past OR future Camino
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
I am in the house on my own. I go out almost daily to the bakery and/or supermarket. I sit in the yard and watch the birds and the bats in the evening. What really keeps me going, though is hearing the people in the other houses - families having dinner in the evening, just to hear the rest of humanity. My neighbour and his small son have been planting vegetables in their garden. Just to experience these things daily makes me feel a bit better.
What makes you feel better?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With my Camino corner I have the Camino feeling at home ...

When I retired from VDL in 2018, as a farewell I received ... some beautiful gifts that my colleagues had made for me. For once, they deviated from the almost standard fire pit that employees receive when they retire. I had previously indicated that they could not make me happy with that. They asked me what I wanted. Something to do with the Camino I said ... and so it happened !!

I still got the fire pit in a smaller version, but nicely decorated with feet and the text Buen Camino. In addition, 5 left and five right feet ... and a nice plate with the shell. Really beautifully made and I am very proud of it.

Now that I am redesigning my garden, there should also be room for my Camino corner. And I am happy how it turned out. My shoes are still waiting for the plants, and then it is all finished.

Attachments

• img_20200328_155348-e1585428142889.jpg
    img_20200328_155348-e1585428142889.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 147
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I go for long walks every day in my city of Copenhagen, Denmark. I walk in nearby parks since we can't go on the busses and trains and I do not have a car. This week has been nice and sunny and it has been wonderful walking. The people I met are very respectful of social distancing and we keep a couple of meters between us. I would go crazy if I did not have the opportunity to walk my 15 km every day.

Joining with others applauding our health workers on Thursday evening.
Hearing from friends: thank goodness for phones and the internet.
The lady who gave me freshly picked leeks from her allotment as I walked past on my daily exercise.
The organist playing inside our local church, which is now closed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The immigrant boy who i helped when I was a school volunteer mum, has been in touch. He's made his way up from a newly arrived, non English speaking 10 yr old to a 40 something, flight attendant. He's married (arranged) has his wife plus two children and extended family to care for. He contacted me via Facebook to ask whether all was well and said to let him know if he could be of any help. Of course he's not flying now but meanwhile is assisting his elderly neighbours .
That I think is karma. I was very touched.

I am enjoying the neighborhood "quiet". No (minimal) cars, airplanes, trains, sirens. It is unfortunate that it takes something like this virus to bring us back down to enjoying the basics of life, but until it is all over I am going to continue enjoying it and counting my Blessings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am in the house on my own. I go out almost daily to the bakery and/or supermarket. I sit in the yard and watch the birds and the bats in the evening. What really keeps me going, though is hearing the people in the other houses - families having dinner in the evening, just to hear the rest of humanity. My neighbour and his small son have been planting vegetables in their garden. Just to experience these things daily makes me feel a bit better.
What makes you feel better?
Well actually, just reading your post made me feel better. There is hope, just ‘talking’ to each other and sharing!
Otherwise , every day, what makes me feel better is knowing my children are coping (so far), my family , my friends and my children’s friends are ok (Sort of).
Times like this make you realise what really matters and it really is just the people. That’s it. I discovered this on pilgrimage, too soon put it at the back of my mind and it takes a rampant virus to remind me. Doh.

My family and friends and the more frequent connection by phone or skype. Embracing this gift of time which is giving a new rhythm to my days. In my working life I'm usually so busy and tired a lot of the time that I sometimes don't keep in as close contact as I should. This crisis has changed that. The joy of Spring and daily long walks along quiet paths near my home to see what's "waking up". I'm grateful for this slowing down which is essentially why I walk the camino. A chance to re-set. All of this helps to keep the worry at bay somewhat...doing my best to stay positive and focused on taking care of myself, my family and my community by sheltering in place - staying home.

I am enjoying the neighborhood "quiet". No (minimal) cars, airplanes, trains, sirens. It is unfortunate that it takes something like this virus to bring us back down to enjoying the basics of life, but until it is all over I am going to continue enjoying it and counting my Blessings.
It is very strange. Typically in the early AM while we are having coffee on our front porch we see numerous contrails from jets flying along the east coast. None lately

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

When I retired from VDL in 2018, as a farewell I received ... some beautiful gifts that my colleagues had made for me. For once, they deviated from the almost standard fire pit that employees receive when they retire. I had previously indicated that they could not make me happy with that. They asked me what I wanted. Something to do with the Camino I said ... and so it happened !!

I still got the fire pit in a smaller version, but nicely decorated with feet and the text Buen Camino. In addition, 5 left and five right feet ... and a nice plate with the shell. Really beautifully made and I am very proud of it.

Now that I am redesigning my garden, there should also be room for my Camino corner. And I am happy how it turned out. My shoes are still waiting for the plants, and then it is all finished.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Love the garden. I enjoy reading the posts each morning. My husband and I walk our dogs more often. We do see our neighbors more and they are doing social distancing as well. We see more children riding bikes and just playing outside than before. I am have been calling my family and friends more often to say hi and see how they are doing. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Winter is giving way to spring here on Lake Erie. I saw my first forsythia bush this morning on the way to work, and daffodils are beginning to blossom. We've had a warmer and less snowy winter than usual, but these signs of spring are so welcome.

It's also

My work is somewhat risky: I work at a large food pantry where we give weekly food to those in need. As much as we tweak how we give out food, the usual protocols of keeping distance and not touching surfaces are hard to manage. But to see the gratitude and relief on the faces of the people we serve is worth it all. It's also my job to clean and sanitize after everyone leaves. I do the best I can with hand washing and sanitizer and disposable gloves when i'm there, and I come home and wash clothes and body before I do anything else.

I'm grateful that I have the means and comfort that help me be safe and warm. I'm grateful that I have friends to connect with. I'm grateful to have this community to check in with each day-- you help me remember that right now, each day is 'on the Camino' for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have sawed, hacked, halved and quartered every possible bit of firewood in the entire garden...

View attachment 72182View attachment 72183

Ditto. Also clearing brambles, having bonfires and collecting kindling from fallen branches. Enjoying all the primroses, watching the birds on the feeders, watching the colours of the landscape changing with the sunrise and sunset. Contacting family and friends by phone, whatsapp, email. Practising yoga, walking the field. Watching Schitt’s Creek on netflix, it took some getting used to but it is subtly funny and brilliantly acted and the characters grow on you plus its a world away from reality and makes me laugh.1AEF4F2A-2E41-411B-AFE4-095C95C39B0E.jpeg86236BD6-F0A1-431A-9633-EAB02547D1A4.jpeg

We just went on Skype and contacted friends in Bilbao and some in Florence since we have been concerned about their wellbeing, given the nightly news statistics. It was wonderful to communicate, laugh and know they were all well. These are people we met while walking Caminos over the years and have remained friends with for about 8 years. It's amazing how you can meet a person walking on a desolate road in a foreign country, not speak their language and you bond for years to come and create a genuine caring for one another.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please pray for Michael Rosen, now in an ICU battling coronavirus. He wrote this poem in honor of the NHS - thease are the people who keep us going:

These are the Hands
Michael Rosen
for the 60th anniversary of the NHS

These are the hands
That touch us first
Feel your head
Find the pulse
And make your bed.

These are the hands
That tap your back
Test the skin
Hold your arm
Wheel the bin
Change the bulb
Fix the drip
Pour the jug
Replace your hip.

These are the hands
That fill the bath
Mop the floor
Flick the switch
Soothe the sore
Burn the swabs
Give us a jab
Throw out sharps
Design the lab.

And these are the hands
That stop the leaks
Empty the pan
Wipe the pipes
Carry the can
Clamp the veins
Make the cast
Log the dose
And touch us last.

I Love this, what a wonderful way to keep the camino always in your heart! Praying we are all able to return again soon but more importantly for all those whose lives are being lost and their families

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please pray for Michael Rosen, now in an ICU battling coronavirus. He wrote this poem in honor of the NHS - thease are the people who keep us going:

These are the Hands
Michael Rosen

These are the hands
That touch us first
Feel your head
Find the pulse
And make your bed.

These are the hands
That tap your back
Test the skin
Hold your arm
Wheel the bin
Change the bulb
Fix the drip
Pour the jug
Replace your hip.

These are the hands
That fill the bath
Mop the floor
Flick the switch
Soothe the sore
Burn the swabs
Give us a jab
Throw out sharps
Design the lab.

And these are the hands
That stop the leaks
Empty the pan
Wipe the pipes
Carry the can
Clamp the veins
Make the cast
Log the dose
And touch us last.

None of this has made me cry, till this.

Buen camino Michael Rosen

These are the Hands
Michael Rosen

These are the hands
That touch us first
Feel your head
Find the pulse
And make your bed.

These are the hands
That tap your back
Test the skin
Hold your arm
Wheel the bin
Change the bulb
Fix the drip
Pour the jug
Replace your hip.

These are the hands
That fill the bath
Mop the floor
Flick the switch
Soothe the sore
Burn the swabs
Give us a jab
Throw out sharps
Design the lab.

And these are the hands
That stop the leaks
Empty the pan
Wipe the pipes
Carry the can
Clamp the veins
Make the cast
Log the dose
And touch us last.

Oh dear, is this the same Michael Rosen, sometime children's laureate and author of so many wonderful books that my children chose for their bedtime stories?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh dear, is this the same Michael Rosen, sometime children's laureate and author of so many wonderful books that my children chose for their bedtime stories?
The very same.
There have been bears showing up all over....

I found his Twitter feed. This from his family, yesterday:
Michael is still poorly but continuing to improve. He has been able to eat today & will be getting a more comfortable oxygen mask soon. All good signs. He does know you've all been rooting for him with this lovely wave of support. Thanks again, Emma x

All this reminds me that it is care for each other that keeps me going....

Today In most of France confinement is slowing being removed but here in the Aisne and much of the east it will continue for at least 3 more weeks.

My husband and I are nervous about the virus and the consequent state of the world although we are most thankful to be alive and together on our farm. Now that we are 81 and 80 years old these words by the American mystic Trappist monk Thomas Merton (1915-1968) provide a coda for our present lives.

"You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope."

May it be so and might we find the strength to endure.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My family, my friends and, for them, my determination to stay strong, hopeful and optimistic. We come against hard times many times in life. Let’s not kid ourselves. You have no choice but to find things that give you strength and courage, whatever they are. For me it’s people first then music, art, literature.... all the beautiful things that people make when times are good. Keep your eyes on the horizon and go to it with a clean and pure soul. That’s how I keep going.

So, I hear you Molly. You’ve put to us a great question. I hope the answers let you know that you are not alone.

Today In most of France confinement is slowing being removed but here in the Aisne and much of the east it will continue for at least 3 more weeks.

My husband and I are nervous about the virus and the consequent state of the world although we are most thankful to be alive and together on our farm. Now that we are 81 and 80 years old these words by the American mystic Trappist monk Thomas Merton (1915-1968) provide a coda for our present lives.

"You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope."

May it be so and might we find the strength to endure.
Thank you for this. ❤️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good news:

Edit - I obviously missed this. Sorry for the duplicate news, but it IS nice to have for a change.

Last edited:
So, I hear you Molly. You’ve put to us a great question. I hope the answers let you know that you are not alone.
Yes, it's good to hear how everyone is coping. Here in Greece restaurants and cafes reopen tomorrow. We have been allowed to go out freely for 3 weeks now, so I have been swimming in the sea every day and doing some walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
20200502_135012.jpg

New bike build for local bikepacking and eventual post-covid touring. Adventure by bike when not walking all the way across Spain

...and eventual post-covid touring. Adventure by bike when not walking all the way across Spain
I'm already into because some of us are incredibly fortunate! I live in the Gascoyne region of Western Australia, which is about the size of England and has no Covid cases. We are now permitted to travel within the region. I just spent a week at a tiny coastal paradise, a 250km bike ride north of where I live, which just officially came out of lockdown. I pitched my tent in a 300-bay caravan park, sharing with 2 other people.
IMG_0635.jpeg And as for the beach...

I'm already into because some of us are incredibly fortunate! I live in the Gascoyne region of Western Australia, which is about the size of England and has no Covid cases. We are now permitted to travel within the region. I just spent a week at a tiny coastal paradise, a 250km bike ride north of where I live, which just officially came out of lockdown. I pitched my tent in a 300-bay caravan park, sharing with 2 other people.
View attachment 75674 And as for the beach...
Australia handles the pandemic well. It is great you are out and about!

I'll be heading out soon as well. I live near Lake Tahoe and the PCT so I have many trips in mind. Both on foot and bike. So much safer outdoors than in town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 75674 And as for the beach...
Enjoy! You are indeed very fortunate 🙂

PhotoGrid_1588105818150.jpg
This was the start of what would have been the Porto 4 Camino. We all met on 28th April in Porto via WhatsApp and raised a glass.
We are each walking our stay at home camino. One of the others (in USA) and I (in UK) have reached Pontevedra, we start the Espirituel route tomorrow. The other two are still en route but one was severely
limited until now by French 1km rule during her lockdown .

Whatsapp chat and daily walk comparisons keep us going. We will try again next year.

Now that our UK restrictions allow us to walk with a friend (2 metre distance) I can enjoy walking with my UK Porto 4 friend again. Lovely to have company and walk further. We are so fortunate to live in an area with beautiful walks and unspoiled countryside.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back