• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of cup?

peregrina2000

Staff member
For the first time, I'm going to bring a coil to heat up coffee in the morning. My last few caminos have had too many morning starts without coffee. These more solitary caminos I'm drawn to are often not the best place to find a cup of coffee early in the morning. So, I've bought the nifty dual voltage heating coil, but now I'm wondering about the cup. I have searched through the forum and have found that some bring a "tin cup." That sounds like it would have a nasty taste to it. Sil says she brings a large lightweight cup, but doesn't say what it's made of. REI has a stainless steel 16-0z cup that weighs 3.5 oz.

Can you give me some suggestions for a good lightweight cup? Many thanks, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Traditionally, that is what the shell is for. The titanium cup would work better though

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use a large enamelled tin mug . One of the great advantages is just slipping an outside stap of my pack though the handle which means it really takes up no space at all.

Not only do they charge you $37 for a titanium cup, then they put their advertising all over it to boot.

I realize this isn't a hugely important issue, so thanks for indulging me. But the number of coffee-free mornings on the Vadiniense/Lebaniego really started to get me down (not to mention my caffeine headache). What I see online about all these cups is that they get extremely hot when heated, even the enameled tin one. Is that going to be an issue with any lightweight metallic cup, be it titanium or tin? I like my coffee hot, but prefer not to burn my mouth every time I take a sip. Maybe I should heat it in the cup and then pour the coffee into the shell for drinking.

peregrina2000 said:
Not only do they charge you $37 for a titanium cup, then they put their advertising all over it to boot.

I realize this isn't a hugely important issue, so thanks for indulging me. But the number of coffee-free mornings on the Vadiniense/Lebaniego really started to get me down (not to mention my caffeine headache). What I see online about all these cups is that they get extremely hot when heated, even the enameled tin one. Is that going to be an issue with any lightweight metallic cup, be it titanium or tin? I like my coffee hot, but prefer not to burn my mouth every time I take a sip. Maybe I should heat it in the cup and then pour the coffee into the shell for drinking.

If I dont carry a small gas stove, I carry a small cup heater coil such as you intend. I too need something to launch me into consciousness and this is perfect.

As for a cup, I use the type of stainlesssteel mugs which are made in India. About being too hot for the lips, I just tip the cup so it almost spills and the water (assuming it is cool enough to drink) takes away excess heat there. Its hard to explain! But now I think of it, I dont like my tea too hot anyway and cool it with powdered milk in cold water.

You can also make instant soup with this setup.

Or use any kind of cup, of any material which will withstand boiling water.Or carry the metal cup plus a plastic one which can travel inside the metal one. Only a few grams more. And for sure someone will look with jealous eyes on your system and you can offer them a tea! They will maybe carry your pack for you all day in gratitude :wink:

Oh ,and I think that people, inc.me use the word 'tin' for any kind of metal cup.

all these cups is that they get extremely hot
Something all campers with metal cooking kits have learned!

Have you thought about a handful of caffeine tablets for the headache! The weight would be negligible...

I measure my camino by the closed cafes/bars in the morning. In France entire villages are closed permanently. Morning coffee there is getting very hard to find.

Hola Laurie,
You might get irritated by the clanking of a metal cup :)
Had you though of one of the thermal type often sold in camping/hiking shops, or a heat resistant plastic/melamine mug? The advantage of a thermal one is that it should come with a lid so you could carry a second coffee with you :)
For local UK travel with the car we have a mini kettle and it came with two plastic mugs inside. No use on the Camino sadly.

peregrina2000 said:
Thanks, tia,
I've been searching around for something like what you suggest, but all the non-metallic cups I see seem to weigh close to a pound.

I did find that for only $4 extra, the ultralight titanium cup comes with "lip protectors." http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-HotLips ... B009ESJUKK

Seems ridiculous, but maybe worth it?
Never mind hot tea, the price of that cup took my breath away!

PS Cups dont rattle if they're packed correctly.

I have the same titanium mug as Falcon's first recommendation, but in the larger 600 size and in dowdy grey and with the logo worn off now. It has served me well on three caminos.
Mine is quite large, big enough to heat water for two.
Make sure you get the single-walled version if you think you might want to heat something in it on a cooker - I have done this a few times on the VdlP and in those spartan xunta albergues (and plenty of times lightweight camping). It works well for this (as long as you keep stirring that soup) but you definitely can't do this with the posher double walled version. It's incredibly light, the handles fold and you can store things in it so it takes up practically no room. The only downside is you can't put a metal mug in a microwave, but if you have your heating element that's not an issue for you. I haven't noticed a metallic taste either.
Here's their own website with a range of options
http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/cups-mugs.html including a fancy 'hotlips' protector - but will one of our most dedicated and hardcore pilgrims really need such an extravagance??
cheers, tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's great that this pedestrian topic offers such an opportunity for wit. :D Jubilado, your screen name and your cultural reference puts you in my age cohort, I think!

Believe it or not, Tom, I am actually contemplating buying the titanium cup you have and embellishing it with the sip-protector or lip-protector. But maybe i'll have a flash of common sense and go with the much cheaper melamine alternative. The 600 size seems huge, but the specs on REI indicate that it's only 4"x4". The perfect size for stuffing a pair of socks, seems to me. Only the 600 size comes with those hot lips feature, so it winds up being cheaper than the 400 size with the protector added on.

I suppose the main downside of that large cup is that it will require a lot more bathroom breaks in early morning walking!

Decisions, decisions. Thanks everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The perfect size for stuffing a pair of socks
My titanium cup with advertising contains my toilet paper (in its own plastic bag), my swiss army knife, and some Nuun electrolyte tables, all things I am likely to use on the trail. I put it in the top pocket of my pack, where it is handy for things like the wine fountain. It probably is large enough for storing the heating coil.

You can always half fill a large cup, but you cannot overfill a small one :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
About the height of a roll of toilet paper, from which I remove the cardboard roll to reduce weight, and about the same diameter.

peregrina2000 said:
It's great that this pedestrian topic offers such an opportunity for wit. :D Jubilado, your screen name and your cultural reference puts you in my age cohort, I think!

Yes Laurie, it is indeed a pedestrian topic :D
Yes, around your age group (a few years here and there matter only to teenagers!)
Cultural ref? Well I can't say 'pilgrimage is painless' but yes

I suppose the main downside of that large cup is that it will require a lot more bathroom breaks

Yes! enjoy those breaks; Avoid bringing the workplace into our pilgrimage; we have nothing to lose but our stress! :wink:

PS -sod's law is that if we have a very expensive item, we inevitably leave it behind. If it is cheap and cheerful, it is always with us

For three trips now, I have carried the squishy bowl/cup set from Guyot Designs (http://www.basegear.com/guyot-designs-squishy-bowl-cup-set.html?gclid=CJ6Qi7G6uLQCFQmCQgodPjIAOw). It has advantages (light weight, inexpensive, very flexible) and disadvantages (hot beverage can be hard to handle).

I'm considering taking a titanium cup on the next trip - and an Esbit stove in conjunction. It will be cooler weather and I would like a hot beverage midday. The small spirit stoves burn denatured alcohol, or the other Esbit model burns solid-fuel tablets. Since these originated in Europe, I'm hoping the fuel is readily available there. Does anyone have direct experience with these while walking in Europe?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm taking the same setup' tiny spirit stove and titanium cup

For those who want to take a cooking stove of some kind, I'd suggest that it's not easy to find fuel in Spain. I use the very common and widespread Camping Gaz stove and found it very difficult to get a replacement cartridge. And of course you cant carry them when flying.

As for the fuels mentioned above - it's only a guess, but I think you'll struggle.

It's a pity, because a stove is so useful. I make all meals like this. Handier, much cheaper. And above all, you are independent.

Jubilado said:
For those who want to take a cooking stove of some kind, I'd suggest that it's not easy to find fuel in Spain. I use the very common and widespread Camping Gaz stove ..............As for the fuels mentioned above - it's only a guess, but I think you'll struggle.
Bought some in Pamplona and then in Carrion des los Condes - I used my stove almost every day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carried an enamel covered tin cup worth about 2 dollars.

A metal cup can be used on a stove to boil water.

It was useful to have a cup at the wine fountain near Estella.

I bought a heater coil in SJPP for 35 euro and later abandoned it as too much weight.

Those few mornings that I could not get hot water for my tea I drank a can of coke to get that caffeine fix.

whariwharangi said:
It was useful to have a cup at the wine fountain near Estella.
:wink:

I also carried a tin billy can .......... now that came in handy at the wine fountain. :mrgreen:

RENSHAW said:
I also carried a tin billy can .......... now that came in handy at the wine fountain. :mrgreen:

Penance was served when I had to scale that nasty mountain leading up to Villamajor de Monjardin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
grayland said:
Amazing that we can have 28 posts on what CUP to carry.
No detail too small! :wink:
True, Gray , However the billy and the tin mug carried on the outside of my pack were a big part of my camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Amazing that we can have 28 posts on what CUP to carry.
No detail too small! :wink:

I should tell you about the time I carried a full pack up a mountain ... set up to make supper ... and found I had forgotten the matches with which to light my stove.

No detail is too small.

It wouldn't have worked ... no light bulb, picture frame, plastic, sodium, bulbous bottles, dry tinder, etc .... besides which arrival corresponded with sunset. And rule is no fires in the Alpine except in emergency (it takes 100 years for a tree to get waist high).

I'm gonna have to try out some of those ideas ... just for fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Instant coffee, empty plastic water/soda bottle, tapwater. No weight whatsoever and gets me to the first cafe.
It ain't the Ritz, but works for me.... cheers, my friends!

It wouldn't have worked ... no light bulb, picture frame, plastic, sodium, bulbous bottles, dry tinder, etc .... besides which arrival corresponded with sunset. And rule is no fires in the Alpine except in emergency (it takes 100 years for a tree to get waist high).

I'm gonna have to try out some of those ideas ... just for fun.

Me too. I loved the video!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.