• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of dog are you ?

Hanne

Hurricane-Hanne
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2007&2008), Finesterre&Muxía(5times), Portugués(2009), Aragonés(2008), Primitivo(2011), Vasco del interiór(2012), Inglés(2009), Via de la Plata(2013&2015), Sanabrés(2013), Del Norte(2013), San Salvador(2015) and Inverno(2015).
Camino Baztan and Le Puy in the future.
On the Camino Inverno forum there have been a lot of writing about the loose aggressive dogs.
Northern Irish scientists (livescience.com) have discovered the connexion between choise of dog and temperament. It seems like aggressive dogs (Alsatian dog, Rottweiler, mastiff etc.) are chosen by aggressive (angry and/or negative people). Non-aggressive dogs are Labradors, Golden Retrievers etc.
There must be many angry people on the Camino Inverno !

Friendly waging and no barking from a Flatcoated Retriever :p!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The problem is the owners not the dog. Alsatian dogs can and have been be used as guide dogs in some form or other, not the most common choice,(the hair loss from these breeds are legendary.Rottweilers are part of many families and the negative press is through negative ownership...

along with the mastiff. also popular now in inner cities with young adults using the dog as a fashion item..

Staffordshire bull terriers another dog which is sometime in the news, when these dogs are very kind and make great company. again through neglect and abuse these dogs are labelled.

most dogs are not aggressive on the camino. they are chained up most of the time, and some are there to protect farm equipment......many bark and growl because that;s what dogs do there just being a dog.

when a dog is restricted tied or otherwise. they can feel less secure ,there is no where to run.. and when pilgrims loom upon them while they are laying down on a all day siesta,then they hear click clack click clack from those walking , to them your crossing there comfort zones, and they are just saying "buen camino if you get my drift?...most of the time if you stand your ground and relax the dog will run out of energy growling and barking and be still... its just being a dog...click clack click clack.....

apart from dogs trained for certain purposes.....any breed has its pros and cons.

I would rather not have a great Dane lying on my bed. that,s me not the dog......where as a beacon frise breed no malting make ideal pets with no hair everywhere. agin not for me .not ideal being gleaming white if used for mountain expeds

most often than not its the small yappy dogs that bite often not intentionally.

Malamutes are my ideal dog, who make good mountain friends and companions......when on the hill......there also cute.

hope.jpg

Last edited:
Leonberger - big and soppy

Leonberger_male.jpg

On the Camino Inverno forum there have been a lot of writing about the loose aggressive dogs.
Northern Irish scientists (livescience.com) have discovered the connexion between choise of dog and temperament. It seems like aggressive dogs (Alsatian dog, Rottweiler, mastiff etc.) are chosen by aggressive (angry and/or negative people). Non-aggressive dogs are Labradors, Golden Retrievers etc.
There must be many angry people on the Camino Inverno !

Friendly waging and no barking from a Flatcoated Retriever :p!

LOL! funny, but true how our dogs resemble us, huh! well I am a Wolf Dog ... Rez Dog ... Sled Dog ... Poi Dog ... N I am very positive, strong, kind, loyal, & free spirit Dog! :p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The problem is the owners not the dog. Alsatian dogs can and have been be used as guide dogs in some form or other, not the most common choice,(the hair loss form these breeds are legendary.Rottweilers are part of many families and the negative press is through negative ownership...

along with the mastiff. also popular now in inner cities with young adults using the dog as a fashion item..

Staffordshire bull terriers another dog which is sometime in the news, when these dogs are very kind and make great company. again through neglect and abuse these dogs are labelled.

most dogs are not aggressive on the camino. they are chained up most of the time, and some are there to protect farm equipment......many bark and growl because that;s what dogs do there just being a dog.

when a dog is restricted tied or otherwise. they can feel less secure ,there is no where to run.. and when pilgrims loom upon them while they are laying down on a all day siesta,then they hear click clack click clack from those walking , to them your crossing there comfort zones, and they are just saying "buen camino if you get my drift?...most of the time if you stand your ground and relax the dog will run out of energy growling and barking and be still... its just being a dog...click clack click clack.....

apart from dogs trained for certain purposes.....any breed has its pros and cons.

I would rather not have a great Dane lying on my bed. that,s me not the dog......where as a beacon frise breed no malting make ideal pets with no hair everywhere. agin not for me .not ideal being gleaming white if used for mountain expeds

most often than not its the smal yappy dogs that bite often not intentionally.

Malamutes are my ideal dog, who make good mountain friends and companions......when on the hill......there also cute.

View attachment 21939

I totally agree ... all dogs have their pros & cons ... & how it has been handled from day one ... I love all creature beings ... however, I have my favs ;-)

The problem is the owners not the dog. Alsatian dogs can and have been be used as guide dogs in some form or other, not the most common choice,(the hair loss from these breeds are legendary.Rottweilers are part of many families and the negative press is through negative ownership...

most often than not its the small yappy dogs that bite often not intentionally.

View attachment 21939
I know , that owners of the watchdog-families, maybe wouldn't like the connextion, but there are some truth in it.
Buying a dog for the qualities to keep other people away.
But even a Golden Retriever can become aggressive in the hands of a bad owner. It is just a lot easier to make watchdogs very aggressive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
Yes I remember the "siesta Mastiff/Shetlandpony-mix" on Camino del Norte, not many watchdog-manners left there ;) Biggest danger was not to see the long doglegs sticking out.
The caminodog from Chantada on Camino de Inverno, which followed me for 8 km, was a Mastiff/Golden Retriever-mix, but all retriever in manners: No barking at all and a lot of waging.

It is important, that a watchdog like a mastiff, is socialized from an early age to make it less aggressive towards other people than the Family. A dog is loyal and will never bite a Family member, even if the dog is badly treated by the Family , because it will never bite the hand that feeds it. In Spain I have seen a lot of bad treatment of watchdogs (Children og adults have beaten dogs with sticks or thrown stones at them. The dog was clearly not part of the Family but only a watchdog).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
LOL! funny, but true how our dogs resemble us, huh!
About 10 years ago I showed up at my sister-in-law's house with my new rescue Irish wolfhound. When she opened the door the first thing she said was, "Oh! He looks just like you!" Hmmm....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
<----I choose the smartest one :) (well one of us has to be....) hahaha

Zzotte

Normal Rottweilers are NOT aggressive!
Also seems that people confuse between watchdog and guard dog. Mastiff a watchdog? Kidding? Yorkie could be a watchdog and then comes the real thing and takes care of the problem. If a dog barks, that first of all means it is NOT brave and is calling for support. Usually the small jingle bells do that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Al for the photo of Charlie. My Ole' Adopted Greyhound went over the rainbow about a decade ago, a very painful loss. my very loyal friend. We shall meet again some day. If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went (Will Rogers). Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Enough said.Mino.jpg
Her name is "Mino" btw.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back