• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of jacket (how light or heavy)?

irisbs

I have read some of the packing lists posted and want to know specifically...if traveling in June and July...what is the heaviest single item to take...what kind of jacket or fleece..how lightweight or not..?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
lol just to confuse the issue..... in June..... not necessarily..... I posted home my good windjacket in Estella and had ample reason to wish I still had it when biting winds blew in places like Azofra, Granon..... But I gather I walked in the coldest June in 10 years.
Margaret

The light jacket will be sufficient. If it gets cold, layer. Pick a jacket that doubles as rain gear, thus avoiding two jackets.

In this case, I agree with Falcon. If you can layer under a poncho or rain jacket, you'll be fine. It's more the WIND that cuts through you than the cold in the summer storms.

So, I would take NO jacket except for rain jacket or poncho, and a lightweight fleece to wear under.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anniesantiago said:
So, I would take NO jacket except for rain jacket or poncho, and a lightweight fleece to wear under.

Would you say the same for early April? My plan is only to bring a fleece and poncho, but I'm having second thought.

If you go in April you will need a lightweight longsleeved merino top as well as a midweight windproof/fleece type jacket under your poncho.
In June I would take a lightweight shortsleeved merino top, a lightweight fleece and a lightweight rainjacket or poncho. I have walked 2700 km in May/June and September in Spain, France Austria and Czech Republic in pretty much all weathers and that is what I would take after lots of deliberation. Regards, Gitti

I think Gitti is giving good advice. The merino wool layers are expensive but a very good investment imho. They don't smell even after several days use, dry reasonably quickly and can be worn on their own or as a base layer. Vert flexible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Went to my local outdoor store to look at Merino wool. (Thanks for the tips by the way) They had some from SmartWool, but Ohh they are pricey. I'm not kidding, they are exactly 90% more expensive than on SmartWools website. They seem like a great investment but I don't wanna pay that kind of money. I will however pick some up on my trip to Seattle in August before I go to Alaska.

So, my question now. Is there anything else I could use instead of Merino wool?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course! If you are in Seattle, go to your local Goodwill store. Find one closest to an "upscale" neighborhood and you can find wonderful lightweight fleeces for under $5

That's how I got most of my gear...

Look for the "ACTIVE WEAR" section.

You do NOT have to have wool
Fleece works just as well (well, almost) and if you buy lightweight items, you can layer.
Often, it's cold in the morning when you begin, but you quickly warm up and start peeling off layers.

Bivouac ( they have a sale on )in New Zealand stock Icebreaker Merino clothing, fantastic brand, you can order on line and they will send it out. A 150 weight is what I have, it is the lightest. Prices start at around 59 NZ dollars and they do last for years. I have had mine for 5 years, worn them hundreds of times and washed them on 30 degrees in the machine, followed by a light spin. Best of all they don't smell and they don't scratch and dry quickly. I hate wool normally.Good luck, Gitti

You could always use a polypropyline t shirt instead of a merino, they are thermal underwear type stuff, that could double as a t shirt, but they do get smelly and you will end up throwing it out at the end of your walk. They are about half the price of the merino items here. Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year I wore a merino shirt and loved it. It wore well, washed well, packed light and never smelly!

This is the brand I wore and it's widely available as you can see from the drop-down country list.

http://www.icebreaker.com

lynne

Yes, I had an Irish girl tell me that wool is self-cleaning, and I almost believe her! I have lots of wool now. I buy BIG old merino sweaters at goodwill, then wash them in the washer/dryer to felt them. They're lightweight, soft, and WARM. I rarely have to wash them. Just air them out.

I do agree that wool is wonderful.. just saying it's not actually "necessary."

And yes, that other stuff certainly does stink after a while ::laughing:: You'll find yourself smelling your own armpits going, "Is that me????"

I took Cuddle duds for cold weather underwear. Lightweight and warm. Doubled as night clothes in cold weather.

I'll take another look and see what I can find. I stopped buying wool years ago since we have problem with carpet beetles. All out expensive sweaters and shawles got holes in them, so I just stopped. However, as you say. Its a great material and I would love to own some again.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.