• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of pain is that??

Jakke

Time of past OR future Camino
Eleven different ones in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
Here is one for the medically inclined amongst you. Not all aches and pains are bad. How do you know whether some pain is actually a problem or whether it is, e.g., the blood in your shoulders finding new ways to flow because the pack is weighing down on your shoulders? Or, is that sensitive foot sole becoming a hot spot or just a normal result of walking those Roman roads? When is that pain and stiffness the simple result of me using muscles I do not normally use? In other words, which aches and pains can I take as signs of the battle I am waging, and which ones should be treated? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pain that doesn't go away with rest, or even gets worse despite of rest!, should always be properly diagnosed also if you have other symptoms. Hot spots and other things - One of the joys of the Camino is to learn to listen and understand your body. Buen Camino, SY

Pain that doesn't go away with rest, or even gets worse despite of rest!, should always be properly diagnosed also if you have other symptoms. Hot spots and other things - One of the joys of the Camino is to learn to listen and understand your body. Buen Camino, SY
Ah... my body -- best friend and worst enemy! So, what kind of pain is worth resting for? What kind of pain can I (temporarily) just live with? Any other useful "rules" to keep in mind? Thanks, SY!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lol, you are asking for a distance diagnosis wrapped up in a crystal ball - there is no easy answer to that! Best I can do is - if it gets worse with walking - stop, if not proceed with caution.
Buen Camino, SY

Not all aches and pains are bad.
Really? Can you name one that isn't. Even muscle soreness at the end of the day is a sign that your muscles need rest and recovery to be ready for the next day's walking. I am convinced that pilgrims, in their determination to complete their pilgrimage, ignore more pain that they should. I wouldn't recommend ignoring any ache or pain, but there are some one might expect to be able to treat effectively without seeking medical advice. Muscle soreness and blisters are two that come to mind.

Really? Can you name one that isn't. Even muscle soreness at the end of the day is a sign that your muscles need rest and recovery to be ready for the next day's walking. I am convinced that pilgrims, in their determination to complete their pilgrimage, ignore more pain that they should. I wouldn't recommend ignoring any ache or pain, but there are some one might expect to be able to treat effectively without seeking medical advice. Muscle soreness and blisters are two that come to mind.
Well, I know from experience/listening to my body, that glowing foot soles are not necessarily bad. In my case, they do not result in hot spots. My shoulders will react to the pack without it resulting in real problems. I'll just take it as something to be expected and after some days it will disappear. I am used to carrying much larger packs in Lapland (tent, mattress, large sleeping bag, field kitchen, fuel, food etc.). Even smaller packs can cause problems, though. My question arose from my time on the P.C. Virtually every morning I felt a pain from my knee to my hip (right leg). I decided to see if it got any worse and in the end walked to SdC in spite of it. What I am looking for is advice for inexperienced walkers: where can you expect to have some discomfort? What should you react to rather yesterday than today? I expect most complaints to result from feet/stomach/knees/hips/shoulders/back issues. I am no expert, so I ask.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A pack's load should be carried by your pelvis not your shoulders. So make sure a pack fits correctly and is adjusted correctly for the load. Hopefully no shoulder pain!

Well, I know from experience/listening to my body, that glowing foot soles are not necessarily bad. In my case, they do not result in hot spots. My shoulders will react to the pack without it resulting in real problems. I'll just take it as something to be expected and after some days it will disappear. I am used to carrying much larger packs in Lapland (tent, mattress, large sleeping bag, field kitchen, fuel, food etc.). Even smaller packs can cause problems, though. My question arose from my time on the P.C. Virtually every morning I felt a pain from my knee to my hip (right leg). I decided to see if it got any worse and in the end walked to SdC in spite of it. What I am looking for is advice for inexperienced walkers: where can you expect to have some discomfort? What should you react to rather yesterday than today? I expect most complaints to result from feet/stomach/knees/hips/shoulders/back issues. I am no expert, so I ask.
I have already suggested that pilgrims ignore more pain than they should, and it is reasonable to infer from your post that you were prepared to ignore some joint and bone pain that might indicate a deeper seated problem than simple post-activity soreness.

The advice from @SYates appears sound - seek medical treatment for pain that doesn't dissipate with rest. What I would add is that this is not a reason to delay treating some pain, like hot-spots, which should be dealt with immediately.

So I go back to my earlier advice - do not ignore any ache or pain - it will be a symptom of something you need to address. Sometimes the treatment might be as simple as removing one's pack, and getting the weight of one's feet for a few minutes during the day, or resting well at night. Or it could be treating a hot spot immediately before it becomes a fully formed blister. I could go on. But if any serious pain persists after rest, then I would be recommending you seek proper medical advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have already suggested that pilgrims ignore more pain than they should, and it is reasonable to infer from your post that you were prepared to ignore some joint and bone pain that might indicate a deeper seated problem than simple post-activity soreness.

The advice from @SYates appears sound - seek medical treatment for pain that doesn't dissipate with rest. What I would add is that this is not a reason to delay treating some pain, like hot-spots, which should be dealt with immediately.

So I go back to my earlier advice - do not ignore any ache or pain - it will be a symptom of something you need to address. Sometimes the treatment might be as simple as removing one's pack, and getting the weight of one's feet for a few minutes during the day, or resting well at night. Or it could be treating a hot spot immediately before it becomes a fully formed blister. I could go on. But if any serious pain persists after rest, then I would be recommending you seek proper medical advice.

And may I add: be careful with buying over the counter meds at a pharmacy. Better double check with a gp/ doctor. Not all painkillers are suitable for all patients. Just think about certain allergies. Also the dosage in grams can vary from country to country.

And may I add: be careful with buying over the counter meds at a pharmacy. Better double check with a gp/ doctor. Not all painkillers are suitable for all patients. Just think about certain allergies. Also the dosage in grams can vary from country to country.

Plus - even over the counter meds can have occasionally very serious side effect, for example affecting liver/kidney function, and yes, with just one dose.

Buen Camino, SY

Assuming that your aches and pains are just the normal ones you get from walking long distances with a pack, and not signs of injury, etc, then some of the usual ways of dealing with it is stretching, massaging, resting and taking frequent breaks while walking. Hydration and proper nutrition is said to keep joints and muscles healthy. Also at least 8 hours sleep at night is necessary for the body to recover itself. An afternoon siesta helps that a lot, too.
and above all, carry the lightest pack you can....the absolute lightest

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was walking the CP in september I got Some strange red spots on my ancles. Under my stocks. It felt hot ans it got worse after Some days. So I went to the pharmacy in different places and they gave me different advies. First they thought it was allergy of the Sun so they sold antihistaminicum tablets, with a crème with doesn't helpen. Later they sold a anti cortison hormonaal crème . After 3 days I stoppen with it and Some days later it was gone. When I was back home it appears again, red spots exactly on the places under my sockes where there were little holes for getting air and keep the feet cool. But on the Camino also on the under legs. I read on the internet about heatwave or golfers legs. Does anyone had this also and knows what causes the red spots? Or had it something to do with the capillaries? Heath of the asphalt? I like to know that for my next Camino and what can you do about it? Or can it caused by goretex shoes?
Thank you!

Plenty of times! in my case it was a simple skin irritation because of socks not rinsed properly after washing, dust from the road, pollen, sun, minor movement of socks that aggravated the skin irritation etc. Buen Camino, SY

Plenty of times! in my case it was a simple skin irritation because of socks not rinsed properly after washing, dust from the road, pollen, sun, minor movement of socks that aggravated the skin irritation etc. Buen Camino, SY
What did you use a crème or just waiting till it went away?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rinsed my socks more thoroughly, made sure that my trousers covered all my leg, dug trousers into socks when passing through high grass, applied light, neutral moisturiser to skin and in the worst of cases applied some hydrocortisone cream. That kind of skin irritation is a bother - but nothing more. Buen Camino, SY

I think the OP is asking for how you know a pain you address verses expected soreness, so you when to act

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think the OP is asking for how you know a pain you address verses expected soreness, so you when to act
@Nanc, do you have suggestions on this other than the ones already given?

We are clearly trying to tread a fine line here where we don't want to cross into giving specific medical advice. I think any suggestions other than those already given are going to be fraught with that danger.

It seems like we're getting answers to how to treat vaculitis etc rather than , for example, when the pain is > 2 out of 3 for more than 3 days, it's time to investigate
Or if there is redness, heat or pitting swelling get it seen
Or if pain results in limp that is not alleviated by rest and NSAIDs you should get it seen.
Now, these are just examples of the direction things might come in. I KNOW we have medico's on the forum and surely they can give the same guidelines to us that they would give to someone in a cocktail party, asking if they should be seen
When is "pain" normal. How do you know to seek help.

Coming back to OP's question.
First, I do not have any medical background.

It's a good question which I recognize from my own camino's. Where is the limit where I go from pain into an injury?

My guideline is: do I still feel the pain after a rest? That can be after a coffeebreak, but especially also when I start in the morning.
If I feel my shoulder, feet or whatever right from the start in the morning, it is a sign that something is (getting into) an injury. A sign for slowing down and doing only a small walk that day. Still in pain the next day? It's a day to take a break.
It also counts for tiredness. From a physiotherapist I understood that for a full recovery a body needs 16 hours. Still feeling tired after 16 hours of rest including a good sleep? Slow down, your body gives you good signs.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ok here are things i would call "normal"
blisters once not infected
muscle soreness that reduces with rest
general fatigue at the end of the day
tender soles of feet due to the constant pounding of the road
tired shoulders that reduces with rest
slightly swolen hands when walking

any more for this list.....

ok here are things i would call "normal"
blisters once not infected
muscle soreness that reduces with rest
general fatigue at the end of the day
tender soles of feet due to the constant pounding of the road
tired shoulders that reduces with rest
slightly swolen hands when walking

any more for this list.....
I disagree with three out of this six being 'normal'.
  1. Blisters - might be common, but I would suggest that ignoring the pain of a hot-spot will be the reason that most blisters are allowed to develop fully. This fails the tests already proposed above.
  2. Tired shoulders - already addressed above by @GreatDane and @Mark Lee. Make sure your pack weight is kept to a minimum and adjust it properly. Less than 20% of the pack weight should be on the shoulders. This is one pain that should not be ignored day after day even if it does reduce with rest. If getting help adjusting the pack doesn't help, perhaps it's time to thing about how much is being carried.
  3. Oedema of the fingers and hands - my experience is that this is not necessarily painful, but relatively easily identifiable. It comes from walking with the arms extended for long periods, and can easily be prevented in one of two ways. First is using a good long distance walking posture with the forearms raised so they are roughly parallel with the ground. The arms can be swung or you can just hold onto your pack harness at the front. Second is to use walking poles, which when properly adjusted, will generally keep your forearms parallel to the ground.

My late father was a Physical Training Instructor (PTI) in the Royal Air Force during his National Service. He was a semi professional footballer and also in the RAF gymnastics team.
He told me that you can't push your body too far as the body has a defence mechanism. You faint.

If you push your body beyond that point as some SAS soldiers on selection courses have done, you can kill yourself.

There are numerous shrines on the side of the Camino marking the places where pilgrims have not heeded the warning signs. I stopped and gave thanks (and thoughts) at each and every one.

Nobody knows your body better than you do.

Hope this helps Jakke. Remember, it's your Camino and your body.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please don't ever ever ignore chest pain even if you think it is nothing. Please don't rest to see if it will go away, you can loose valuable time, please don't go to bed hoping it will be gone in the morning. If you have pain in your chest while exerting yourself (like walking up a hill) then please stop and get help unless it is a normal for you. While no one wants to be a bother chest pain should always be taken seriously and I would hazard a guess that many that have passed along the way could have been experiencing it. Please know that it doesn't have to be a pain, it can be tightness, a pressure feeling, a heaviness. It can be your chest, your arms, your back, your jaw. You will hopefully know if it happens that it is not right.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.