• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of pedals?

yan siton

Time of past OR future Camino
planning on doing the camino ( june 2014)
hello everbody
i am planning of biking the camino in the beginning of june yhis year
i dreamed of doing the camino by foot for some time
i am doing hiking for many years but never walked a long distance walk like the camino
due to time restriction (although i have one month i don't like the "frame" feeling and prefer the timeless, no pressure ,freedom kind of feeling) but mainly knee aching i decided to do it in a bicycle.
my bicycle experience unfortunately is zero ,although i rode of course as child
and i was touring cross countries many times with motorbikes
and now for my question : for a first timer do i need a flat pedals? or caged one?
"cycling rentals" offers flat or caged one and "tournride" offers regular one anyway but with the possibility of renting a strapless toe-clips
any suggestion? thanks in advance
yan

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yan,

I've never biked either, except as a kid. I remember all those guys going past me on bikes and wondered how they could negotiate the "downhills" much less the uphill. My advice is "Don't learn how to bike on the Camino: WALK!"

Hi, and welcome

I have been through most of Europe with my bike, but will be walking the camino ;)

No, I will definitely not recommend caged pedals !

Purchase your self a pair of cycle shoes
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-m064-mtb-spd-shoes-2014/rp-prod69966

And a pair of click pedals
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-xt-spd-xc-race-m780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67220
This pedal will fit on every rental bike.
And bring the pedals and shoes with you.

Your rear will be extremely sore doing 800 km without bike training. Train before you leave for Spain. And train with your click pedals, first time in safe environment.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-pedals.html

Buen camino :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done half of the camino on a bike last year and I'm leaving in three weeks to cycle from Pamplona to Santiago.

I'd highly recommend Tournride, we used them last year and they're brilliant. Flat pedals are absolutely fine.

Hi, and welcome

I have been through most of Europe with my bike, but will be walking the camino ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-m064-mtb-spd-shoes-2014/rp-prod69966

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-xt-spd-xc-race-m780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67220

Your rear will be extremely sore doing 800 km without bike training. Train before you leave for Spain. And train with your click pedals, first time in safe environment.

Hi, and welcome

I have been thru most of Europe with my bike, but will be walking the camino ;)

Purchase your self a pair of cyckle shoes

Your ass will be extremely wound, doing 800 km without bike training. Train before you leave for Spain. And train with your click pedals, first time in safe environment.

hello jonas thanks for all the information
can you explain please why a toe clips are not advisable ?
a will definitely think about the shoes and the pedals, although i think it is maybe a little bit advanced for a first timer.
regarding the training so i live in tiberias israel, it is a beautiful mountainous place with endless uphill ,downhill off road trail ,and i am planning of taking a bike from a friend and train for the next two month.
i am in a pretty good shape but i am afraid for my rear like you said and for my knee

I find flat pedals can be dangerous on a mountain bike-----my wife broke her collar bone when her feet were bounced off the pedals and she crashed. We used toe clips until step in pedals were invented, and now would not use anything else.

That said, you should not be going that fast downhill on the camino, with gear on your bike, and walkers to pass. Both toe clips and step in pedals take some learning. You would be better off with flat pedals.

If your bike experience is "zero", how do you know your sore knee would be better off on a bike? I agree the camino is no place to learn to bike.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done half of the camino on a bike last year and I'm leaving in three weeks to cycle from Pamplona to Santiago.

I'd highly recommend Tournride, we used them last year and they're brilliant. Flat pedals are absolutely fine.
hello
can you tell me which bike did you rent from them and which equipment?

I find flat pedals can be dangerous on a mountain bike-----my wife broke her collar bone when her feet were bounced off the pedals and she crashed. We used toe clips until step in pedals were invented, and now would not use anything else.

That said, you should not be going that fast downhill on the camino, with gear on your bike, and walkers to pass. Both toe clips and step in pedals take some learning. You would be better off with flat pedals.

If your bike experience is "zero", how do you know your sore knee would be better off on a bike? I agree the camino is no place to learn to bike.
hello
as i said before i am planning to train for the next 2 month and hopefully everything will work fine.
and what do mean when you say "step in pedal". do you mean the clipless pedal?

hello jonas thanks for all the information
can you explain please why a toe clips are not advisable ?

I will try, but it should be easier in norwegian language ;)

The effect we want to achieve is an "around pedaling movement", "power in the up pull movement" and "stability".
Toe clips is an old technique, where you will need to tighten the cage (straps) to get this effect.
In an sudden stop it will be more difficult to disengage the shoe from a tighten cage, and you might get hurt.
Cliples pedals are much easier to release/disengage. And it gives stability in the pedaling movement that might be good for your knees.

It is also possible to combine flat pedal and cliples pedal. This pedal combines SPD mechanism on one side and a stable platform pedal body on the other.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-xt-spd-trekking-t780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67250

Thanks to google translate :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hello
can you tell me which bike did you rent from them and which equipment?

Well both times I have used a package deal. So for example this time we have chosen the Pamplona to Santiago in 13 days deal. So you do not get a choice of bikes only bike sizes.
You get all panniers front and back. Puncture repair kit, lock. Everything you need really but no helmet.they will drop the bikes to you wherever you are staying in the place you want to start.

I do a lot if cycling in the uk and was worried I wouldn't like the bikes we got. But they were absolutely fine, full suspension. And the experience is all about doing and completing the camino not about how good the bikes are.

Clipless pedals every time. Lot more efficient apart from anything else. You will really notice it on uphills.

hello everbody
i am doing hiking for many years but never walked a long distance walk like the camino
due to time restriction (although i have one month i don't like the "frame" feeling and prefer the timeless, no pressure ,freedom kind of feeling) but mainly knee aching i decided to do it in a bicycle.
and now for my question : for a first timer do i need a flat pedals? or caged one?
"cycling rentals" offers flat or caged one and "tournride" offers regular one anyway but with the possibility of renting a strapless toe-clips
yan
yan, You may not want to use clip ons. it is an un=necessary expense unless you were an experienced cylcler and a speedster. I bike the frances, starting in pamplona, summer of 2012 with my family. I used bikeiberia as my rental company. very good experience. I ordered flat peddles but at about Leon, my kids (ages mid 20s) insisted on straps, including my brother (mid 50's and experienced biker). they insisted that straps give you a consistent alignment and better for the Knees. I would not use clip ons, mainly because you WILL be walking your bike alot. you will want to be wearing a good light weight walking tennis shoe. my greatest suggestion is train on lots of hills and break in a saddle, which you will take with you. Break in a saddle like a Brooks saddle. Take butt grease as well. As others have suggested, you don't want to learn to ride a bike on the Camino, but, 13 days will be plenty of time. we took 14 days and spent 1 day off in Burgos and 1day off in Leon. Ride and enjoy. I'm walking summer of 2015 only because I just want to take more time enjoying Spain and its people. I also understand that Portugal and its people are just as wonderful, that will be my next trip. Buen Camino to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was very good at getting out of toe clips, while step in (clipless pedals) take some learning. Expect to fall over and bruise your hips often in the process.

The learning will be much easier with Shimano M series multi release cleats.

A combination pedal, like Shimano M324, is good. It gives you the option of a normal flat side or a clipless side. Mountain bike shoes with recessed cleats are good for pedaling and also comfortable enough for walking. Get used to using them before your tour. I agreed with others' advice about a wearing in a saddle. A saddle is to a cyclist the same as hiking boots are to a walker…would you go to the Camino and rent some boots?
To look after your knees, take it easy and spin lower gears especially up hills. Sore knees are usually caused by incorrect saddle height or pushing too big a gear. Do some training with a load like you will have on tour so that your body can get used to it.
Remember that you don't have to stay on the walkers path. There are lovely, quiet roads to pedal along that follow the walkers route. Just follow the yellow arrows.
Yan, have a wonderful Camino.

hello everbody
yan

You want FLAT pedals. No cages. No clips.
Unless you are actually racing, clipless pedals and shoes are a waste of time and money. AND WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! You have to pack extra shoes!!
And you look like a goofball walking around in racing shoes.
I ride every day.
I have ridden all over the world.
I have never owned a pair of clipless pedals.
Read the truth here:
http://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, strong words for a first post. Tell me, if you have never owned a pair of clipless pedals, how do you know they are such a waste? Some of us find that the efficiencies enjoyed by racers can actually help everyone else.

Interesting that you cite the advice of Rivendell. They make fine steel bikes, just like we all rode 20 years ago, before clipless pedals were invented. They refuse to make a bike from carbon fiber, titanium, or aluminum, in spite of the fact that most modern quality bikes are no longer made with steel frames.

And as far as looking like a goofball, well, nothing is dorkier to me than riding a bike with shoes made for some other purpose.

Last edited:
I will try, but it should be easier in norwegian language ;)

The effect we want to achieve is an "around pedaling movement", "power in the up pull movement" and "stability".
Toe clips is an old technique, where you will need to tighten the cage (straps) to get this effect.
In an sudden stop it will be more difficult to disengage the shoe from a tighten cage, and you might get hurt.
Cliples pedals are much easier to release/disengage. And it gives stability in the pedaling movement that might be good for your knees.

It is also possible to combine flat pedal and cliples pedal. This pedal combines SPD mechanism on one side and a stable platform pedal body on the other.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no/en/shimano-xt-spd-trekking-t780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67250

Thanks to google translate :D
hello jonas
and if i buy this kind of paddle would it be suitable to bike i will rent
and is it easy to mount them on the bike?

Well both times I have used a package deal. So for example this time we have chosen the Pamplona to Santiago in 13 days deal. So you do not get a choice of bikes only bike sizes.
You get all panniers front and back. Puncture repair kit, lock. Everything you need really but no helmet.they will drop the bikes to you wherever you are staying in the place you want to start.

I do a lot if cycling in the uk and was worried I wouldn't like the bikes we got. But they were absolutely fine, full suspension. And the experience is all about doing and completing the camino not about how good the bikes are.
hello again
i think you absolutely right that the experience is what's couny
so please 2 more question: 1. what did you did about the helmet?
2. once you took the 13 dayes pack , did it took you eventually more dayes , and if so did they charge you for that?
thanks a bunch

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A combination pedal, like Shimano M324, is good. It gives you the option of a normal flat side or a clipless side. Mountain bike shoes with recessed cleats are good for pedaling and also comfortable enough for walking. Get used to using them before your tour. I agreed with others' advice about a wearing in a saddle. A saddle is to a cyclist the same as hiking boots are to a walker…would you go to the Camino and rent some boots?
To look after your knees, take it easy and spin lower gears especially up hills. Sore knees are usually caused by incorrect saddle height or pushing too big a gear. Do some training with a load like you will have on tour so that your body can get used to it.
Remember that you don't have to stay on the walkers path. There are lovely, quiet roads to pedal along that follow the walkers route. Just follow the yellow arrows.
Yan, have a wonderful Camino.
tank you my friend for that
and sorry for the ignorance, but what exactly is a saddle?

Hi Yan,

As I see it, you have four options:

1. Flat pedals
2. Flat pedals with toe-clips (cages)
3. Hybrid pedals - flat on one side, "clip-less" (cycle shoe cleat fixing) on the other
4. Fully "clip-less" pedals (cycle shoe cleat fixing on both sides)

Realistically, if you're only just getting back into cycling and haven't used clip-less pedals before then I would rule out options 3 and 4. Whilst "clipping in and out" does become second nature, I think you might be leaving too short a time to practice and get used to them. Also, this means that you won't have to buy the pedals to practice with.

Personally, I wouldn't use flat pedals. The Camino has hills which mean that you will be putting lots of force on the pedals and increasing your risk of slipping off them. Add a bit of rain or mud and the risk is even greater. At best you scrape your calf on the pedal, at worst you can end up breaking bones like newfydogs's wife!! Ouch!

This only leaves flat pedals with toe-clips. Getting feet in and out isn't a problem if you don't use the tightening straps - just the cages. I think this will give you the best compromise of low risk of slipping and low risk of getting feet stuck in the pedal in the event of an incident.

Another thing you might consider is your footwear. When I got back into cycling I started wearing normal sports shoes (running or tennis shoes) but my feet got numb after 20 minutes or so. The soles were just not stiff enough. So I first switched to stiff-soled cycle shoes and used cages and then onto cycle shoes with cleats and clip-less pedals. The trade off is that stiffer soles stop your feet getting numb but slip off the pedals more (meaning cages or clip-less pedals are definitely needed) and are harder to walk in.

If during your training you don't suffer from numbness, then go with shoes you'd be comfortable walking in and use cages.

Whatever you choose - good luck and do let us know how you get on! Me and my other half are part walking, part cycling from SJPdP to SdC in August / September.

I am an experienced cycle tourist and I cycled most of the French Route on my heavy steel frame with 7oo tires (Not a mountain bike) and stayed on the footpath without too much trouble. There are some good articles out there online all extolling the virtue of clipless vs baskets vs toe straps etc. Contrary to what folks say or believe I use the plastic baskets with adjustable straps. I do this for several reasons: It's the compromise between clipless and flat. I also wear "dorky" low top hiking shoes. That's because they have a good, stiff sole which is what you want for cycling AND I don't need to change my shoes to take a walk thereby cutting down on the weight I am carrying on the bike. I have a pair of Crocs when I need to cool my feet or dry my shoes or whatever.
Whatever you do, try and practice before you get to some of the more technical parts of the trail.
Good luck...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hello jonas
and if i buy this kind of paddle would it be suitable to bike i will rent
and is it easy to mount them on the bike?

Yes and yes
All pedals I know about will fit on all cycles. Amazing someone have made a standard :)

You want FLAT pedals. No cages. No clips.
Unless you are actually racing, clipless pedals and shoes are a waste of time and money. AND WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! You have to pack extra shoes!!
And you look like a goofball walking around in racing shoes.
I ride every day.
I have ridden all over the world.
I have never owned a pair of clipless pedals.
Read the truth here:
http://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

Sorry, but you are wrong. According to your experience, you should know that you don't walk like "a golfball" with the SPD-system ;)
And....I think thread starter is talking about cycling off road cycle. He shouldn't need racing shoes.

But......off topic......there are different opinions about clip less pedals, AND the third best in Giro dell Dolomiti couple of years ago did that with sandals and flat pedal ! But (again), very few people could do that like him.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Contrary to what folks say or believe I use the plastic baskets with adjustable straps. I do this for several reasons: It's the compromise between clipless and flat. I also wear "dorky" low top hiking shoes. That's because they have a good, stiff sole which is what you want for cycling AND I don't need to change my shoes to take a walk thereby cutting down on the weight I am carrying on the bike....

That is probably the best way to go for a new cyclist. With the straps loose and your toes pointing slightly down you will never bounce off on a descent. and on the easy stuff you can crank the straps a bit for extra pull. I will confess that back in the day I found a low cut Hi-Tech hiking shoe with lugs which fit a Shimano pedal in the perfect position to act as a bit of a cleat. I stocked up on many pairs of them.

Look for pedals with a flip over tooth for easy entry to the clips and find some of the wide plastic mtb toe clips. Don't thread the strap through the second slot in the clamp, and if you can find them, install toe strap buttons. Any bike shop worker with grey hair should be able to help with this.

Mountain bike shoes are made for walking unlike race shoes. They're usually cheaper too.

Clipless pedals arent that hard to get used to. Engage and disengage 10 times each time you set off each day. You soon get used to it. Personally, I find straps and cages a lot harder to get in and out of.

Your legs, and especially knees, will thank you. If you use flat pedals all you get is the push stroke, this will kill your knees far sooner than walking will. Inefficient cycling is a good route to injury, cycling being low impact is a myth when done wrong.

Cages and straps do the same job just a lot less efficiently.

Do yourself a favour, 800km on a bike is no small undertaking. Learn good technique and VERY importantly learn to ride and do hand signals without wobbling. Also learn low speed manoeuvres, hikers have right of way and YOU need to adapt to them. Dont be another inconsiderate cyclist. Learn good road technique too.

Your choice as to what to use. Pretty much 80% of the regular cyclists I know ride clipless. You'd be hard pressed to buy a decent bike here that has flat pedals unless you requested it.

hello again
i think you absolutely right that the experience is what's couny
so please 2 more question: 1. what did you did about the helmet?
2. once you took the 13 dayes pack , did it took you eventually more dayes , and if so did they charge you for that?
thanks a bunch

I brought my own helmet. The last time We went we made it comfortably in the time allowed. The 13 days trip is in a couple of weeks so I can let you know how we get. It seems pretty realistic though! It is good to have the deadline as it makes you push yourself and gives you a goal.

The people who run Tournride are very friendly and helpful and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you were a day late. Send them an email to ask how much it is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know the original poster is asking about type of pedal to use, but I think this is like asking about the deck chair arrangement on the Titanic. With no recent experience with bicycling, not being up to speed on basic bicycling issues like type of pedal preferred, only two months to work out the kinks and get into bicycling shape, a history of hiking, a long term interest in hiking the Camino, and above all, knee pain, why would a person decide that bicycling the Camino is the way to go? That knee pain will only get worse on a bike, unless a lot of attention is paid to seat height, pedal revolution speed, exact placement of foot on pedal. I have yet to see a new cyclist that naturally dials into the appropriate pedal cadence, and a beginner mashing his pedals up a hill on the Camino is a prescription for knee pain, even if there was no knee pain to begin with.

Hi, and welcome

Click pedals are a hazard on the trail, in particular for someone that doesn't bike frequently . . .

As a novice who purchased a bike in January and road it across America 4000 miles for 52 Days in june and July a number of years ago I would have the following recommendations. It might be second nature to unclip for seasoned biker but for a newby its a hard learning experience and usually when your in trouble is when you will fall. Having completed the Camino last year and traveled with 4 bikers from Vancouver ( yes they traveled our same distance we did everyday) I would highly recommend you not clip-in but wear hiking shoes on flat pedals. They are plenty stiff enough for flat peddle biking and you don't need to change them when you need to walk (some hills are also way to steep to ride).

The "bike riders" we traveled with hiked from St Jean to Roncevaux and rented their bikes from there. They all wore hiking shoes and were completely satisfied with them. You won't be racing so the extra efficiency of pulling the pedals won't matter. It also enabled them to carry lesser weight of biking shoes. You also don't want to fall on a steep rocky uphill climb when you miss gear or your chain comes off and end your Camino.
Best of luck

Jack

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would bring my own helmet with me, I sure wouldn't want to wear a helmet that was sweated on by someone else before me, kinda of gross if you ask me.
As far as pedals go, some quality platform pedals with appropriate platform riding shoes like the ones from FiveTen, with a stiff sole for pedaling and soft enough to grip the pedals so your feet won't slide off, yet you can still walk around in them.

I would bring my own helmet with me, I sure wouldn't want to wear a helmet that was sweated on by someone else before me, kinda of gross if you ask me.

You also have no idea how the helmet has been treated. Has it been dropped? Left in the sun for weeks? Has it been in a fall? An abused helmet isnt much better than your skull.

I've worked in places that rented sports equipment and seen how people treat stuff when they dont own it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Flat pedals will be just fine, if you ride cliplesss - ride with them. No cages. Repeating myself, go with flats.

I've been considering clipless myself, but I din't like the idea of clicking around in churches. I'll go with flats.

If you got MTB-shoes, the clicking shouldn't be a problem and you can have 2-sided pedals :) But then again, the only people I saw riding with clipless were Spaniards on mountain bikes. Everyone else seemed to be riding flats. I'll go with the 2-sided when I go on my bicicleta Camino. Which will hopefully be in the spring of 2016.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you don't have experience with cycling and mountain biking, than going with anything other than flat pedals is not a good idea.
I'm not saying that clipless pedals aren't helpful, but they have a learning curve. Its a hassle you don't need at this stage.

If you don't have a bike and you're thinking of renting then my recommendation is to borrow a bike from a friend and practice cycling off-road, changing gears, fixing flat tyres, adjusting brakes. A few basic principles will allow to have less headache on the camino.

Hola - thanks to St James! I have found this section (have been searching for an hour - but had fun reading other stuff). I do some bike riding and have clip-in shoes and peddles. They did take a lot of getting use to and even now I still have "accidents" (ie falls). I have walked part of the VDLP and intend to return in August this year to finish it (by bike). Since weight is an issue and I expect to do some walking - both on Camino and around the towns and villages I am thinking I will use flat peddles (maybe with toe straps). Clip-in shoes are not designed for walking any distance - even 100 metres. (imho).
As for training - well back in 2006 I rode from Saigon to Phnom Penh - which required riding up to 90 km per day. The advice I was given was that you need almost as many km's in your butt as you do in your legs. I was riding around 150 km per week for 3-4 months (as well as gym work) with at least one 60 km day. I found the "butt" advice most useful.
One other question/remark - from what I remember most Spanish bikes do not have a bell/horn to alert walking pilgrims (or the cyclists do not use them) so I will be bringing my own - has a great little tune!!
Buen Camino

Wow, strong words for a first post. Tell me, if you have never owned a pair of clipless pedals, how do you know they are such a waste? Some of us find that the efficiencies enjoyed by racers can actually help everyone else.

Interesting that you cite the advice of Rivendell. They make fine steel bikes, just like we all rode 20 years ago, before clipless pedals were invented. They refuse to make a bike from carbon fiber, titanium, or aluminum, in spite of the fact that most modern quality bikes are no longer made with steel frames.

And as far as looking like a goofball, well, nothing is dorkier to me than riding a bike with shoes made for some other purpose.
There are bike shoes with clips with removable clips so you can use them to walk normally. This is critical because there are areas where you WILL have to push the bike. go on amazon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
yan, You may not want to use clip ons. it is an un=necessary expense unless you were an experienced cylcler and a speedster. I bike the frances, starting in pamplona, summer of 2012 with my family. I used bikeiberia as my rental company. very good experience. I ordered flat peddles but at about Leon, my kids (ages mid 20s) insisted on straps, including my brother (mid 50's and experienced biker). they insisted that straps give you a consistent alignment and better for the Knees. I would not use clip ons, mainly because you WILL be walking your bike alot. you will want to be wearing a good light weight walking tennis shoe. my greatest suggestion is train on lots of hills and break in a saddle, which you will take with you. Break in a saddle like a Brooks saddle. Take butt grease as well. As others have suggested, you don't want to learn to ride a bike on the Camino, but, 13 days will be plenty of time. we took 14 days and spent 1 day off in Burgos and 1day off in Leon. Ride and enjoy. I'm walking summer of 2015 only because I just want to take more time enjoying Spain and its people. I also understand that Portugal and its people are just as wonderful, that will be my next trip. Buen Camino to you.
I had a very BAD experience in 2018 with bikeiberia. The bikes arrived broken with bad brakes. the seat was torn and they sent the wrong size helmet. They refused to answer the phone or e-mails so we had to have the bikes repaired which they refused to reimburse at the end of the trip. One of the pedal bearings failed and we found out the bikes were seven years old.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back