• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of Pilgrim carries his pack the whole distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardd5

It seem a lot of new pilgrim plan to minimize their experience with starting in Sarria and using a pack service. The Camino Frances is not Disney tour but neither is it the Appalachian Trail . Don’t over think it with a tight agenda . Remember the unexpected will happen . Yes it rains , yes you will lose gear ,yes you can’t get into that Albergue . Adapt , get by , go the distance. Don’t quit because others do, keep you eye on the goal which is making it work all the way to the end. Remember we don’t walk the Camino because it’s easy , we do it because it’s hard

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think there is a 'kind of pilgrim' who carries their pack. I carry my pack because I like the sense of freedom and independence and the metaphor of paring down my belongings ... after not many days the pack becomes one with me, and I feel strong and resilient. For now, it's something I can do and enjoy and I'm grateful for that. One day I may not be able to carry everything in my pack - when that time comes I imagine I will adapt rather than stop walking caminos.

The title of this thread seems intended to provoke reactions of a sort that will quickly lead to the thread closure. The title tosses out a question that asks us to judge other pilgirms. Then the post says a number of things that neither address the question posed, nor provide any thoughtful or helpful advice to other pilgrims.

One day I may not be able to carry everything in my pack - when that time comes I imagine I will adapt rather than stop walking caminos.
Of course that is up to you. However I think that when I become physically unable to carry the minimal load necessary to walk an albergue-based Camino then I will reluctantly look elsewhere for my physical and spiritual experiences. The freedom to walk whatever distance feels right on any particular day has been so integral a part of my Camino experience that the idea of restricting myself to predefined daily stages by using luggage transfer is deeply unappealing to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are probably going to get into a lot of trouble with this thread, beginning with the title: e.g. "his" - there is something you may have missed about a lot of your fellow pilgrims, some of them are "her" and some of them prefer to be neither.

Two of my personal rules are 1) don't give advice unless it is asked for and 2) don't judge until you know the full story.

Everyone does their own camino in their own way and it does not affect me in any way if other pilgrims are walking shorter distances, or having their backpacks transported, or booking ahead. That is their business.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Remember we don’t walk the Camino because it’s easy, we do it because it’s hard
Aren’t you overthinking this a little 😂?

Carrying a backpack is convenient for those who consider it important to them that they can stop anytime when and where they want.

And carrying a backpack is heavy for those who are not used to it or who have packed too much for what they can comfortably carry.

You can of course theorise and postulate about backpack carrying to your heart’s content but that is “you” and not “we”. 😇

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We can have all sorts of questions like this
What kind of pilgrim ships away a bunch of his stuff at Pamplona?
What kind of pilgrim decides to take it easy across the meseta and
ships his bag every day?
What kind of pilgrim ships his bag whenever there is a big hill like
Cruz de Ferro or O Cebreiro?
What kind of pilgrim takes a bus out to Fisterra because his faster friends
are going to be there that night?
All of that stuff is me

While not a fan of graffiti on the Camino, I saw one that stuck with me:
“The Road is my job. The pack is my home. The pilgrims are my family.” I never felt like walking was a job. While i met amazing people along the way, and have stayed in touch with many, a Camino “family” had no interest for me. But the idea of having my pack with me at all times, did indeed give me a feeling of being exactly where I needed to be, wherever I was. It gave me a real sense of freedom, in that I was never trying to catch up to it or figure out where I needed to be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The title of this thread seems intended to provoke reactions of a sort that will quickly lead to the thread closure. The title tosses out a question that asks us to judge other pilgirms. Then the post says a number of things that neither address the question posed, nor provide any thoughtful or helpful advice to other pilgrims.
I'm glad someone else said this first, and much more succinctly than I could or would have.

It seem a lot of new pilgrim plan to minimize their experience with starting in Sarria and using a pack service. The Camino Frances is not Disney tour but neither is it the Appalachian Trail . Don’t over think it with a tight agenda . Remember the unexpected will happen . Yes it rains , yes you will lose gear ,yes you can’t get into that Albergue . Adapt , get by , go the distance. Don’t quit because others do, keep you eye on the goal which is making it work all the way to the end. Remember we don’t walk the Camino because it’s easy , we do it because it’s hard

The same reason the chicken crossed the road.

To get to the other side.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back